Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

Just came in today, forgot I'd ordered it and didn't open it until I got to the beach. Kinda blowing my mind that it got delivered today.
Just got mine in, too! Sound fantastic:

I was surprised to read on the website that the dude just does vinyl for funsies and he's CD all the way. :gonk:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Toe Rag posted:

:nice:

Now go buy this record

Agreed.

Also this one:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I went to Blind Rage Records this afternoon hoping that the Breeders merch popup would still be there today but it was only yesterday. I really wanted to grab the Raiders shirt.

I did find a copy of Magik Marker's 2020 LP finally so I walked out happy.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

pwn posted:

I love blue with yellow record covers. With special guest star red.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:hellyeah:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Blue and yellow with a little red you say?

One of my default Summer Jam albums and still my favorite Can record.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Oh yes.

Alright last one.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
poo poo I was gonna suggest Split Enz - True Colors but the one variant is blue with orange.

https://www.discogs.com/Split-Enz-True-Colours/release/141750

But the 40th anniversary edition is yellow with blue!

https://www.discogs.com/Split-Enz-True-Colours/release/15700527

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

petit choux posted:

Hint: "Barn sales" is one of the words ebayers use so they don't have to specify what their sources are. Dude probably finds estate sales in local papers or something. Hell, a lot of those are actually in barns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liOtOSR_Pp0

When I have said barn sale it's because they were literally barn sales.

I went back today and snapped pics.

Anyways, the ashtray end table I wanted had sold. But the classical/opera/foreign in the green tote with the tan lid was still there. I asked her if she'd take $5 for the whole tote and she said yes.

I will have to go through it later tonight and see if it's junk or not.

Edit took some group shots

Readers digest junk

Boxed sets

Rca releases

Angel releases, these have a weird wooden dowel to pull the record out of the sleeve.

Random 12" lps

10" records

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 18, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Toe Rag posted:

:nice:

Now go buy this record

CaptainBeefart posted:

Agreed.

Also this one:

caligulamprey posted:

Blue and yellow with a little red you say?

One of my default Summer Jam albums and still my favorite Can record.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Oh yes.

Alright last one.

Now THIS is the kind of quality Blue with Yellow and Maybe Some Red content/recs I was hoping to inspire!

Turbinosamente posted:

poo poo I was gonna suggest Split Enz - True Colors but the one variant is blue with orange.

https://www.discogs.com/Split-Enz-True-Colours/release/141750

But the 40th anniversary edition is yellow with blue!

https://www.discogs.com/Split-Enz-True-Colours/release/15700527

For that price difference I am happy to accommodate Blue with Orange.

caligulamprey posted:

Just got mine in, too! Sound fantastic:

I was surprised to read on the website that the dude just does vinyl for funsies and he's CD all the way. :gonk:

:hmmyes:

CDs own my resident Resident. At least for now, I find myself taking respite in the cold digital arms of the Compact Disc when the vinyl mistress is far too rich for my blood (which is all the loving time.) I just hope CDs don’t have a :airquote: revival :airquote: too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wa27 posted:

pictures

GET READY FOR BETTY!

Wow, they've got everything but the kitchen sink...no wait there it is.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
How about some nice light blue/yellow

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

my turn in the barrel posted:

Readers digest junk

Readers Digest classical isn't bad. Generally very good performances and orchestras, usually recorded very well too, though they trended toward light classical. One of the best early Beethoven symphony cycles was Leibowitz on Readers Digest!

Not valuable at all, mind you. Actually it's more good for getting good sounding stuff for rreeeally cheap because they're common thrift store pickups.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 19, 2021

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Readers Digest classical isn't bad. Generally very good performances and orchestras, usually recorded very well too, though they trended toward light classical. One of the best early Beethoven symphony cycles was Leibowitz on Readers Digest!

Not valuable at all, mind you. Actually it's more good for getting good sounding stuff for rreeeally cheap because they're common thrift store pickups.

I was under the assumption RD would be low quality pressings of abridged pieces like their books which is why they are so common and cheap. I'll have to start looking closer at what they have on them when I come across them thrifting in the future. I can say that 99% of the readers digest sets I have seen in the wild are in immaculate unplayed condition.

Do any classical fans have a top 10 or 20 list of classical pieces that I have or should track down to introduce my 3 year old to classical on our nightly vinyl journey?

Looking through my discogs I also have a few previous pickups aside from the ones pictured above.

Confession: I picked up the 1812 overture with the intent of someday recreating the candle snuffing across a room demo Ohm acoustics used to market my Ohm I speakers back in the 70s.

The 250 years Readers digest box someone gave me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honestly those light classical comps will be fine for a kid. Not sure what's on it but it's almost certainly nice, tuneful stuff. Strauss waltzes, Mozart divertimentos and that kinda stuff.

E) checked out the tracklist- Ravel's "La Valse" is on there! And it's with the Paris Conservatory Orchestra! That's a total masterpiece, it's actually a really good compilation for anyone, honestly.

Really young kids will listen to anything, though. You can probably put on Webern or Boulez and your kid will get a kick out of it.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 19, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just for fun I tracked down the version of La Valse in that box and yeah. putting this in a light classical compilation whips rear end

https://youtu.be/ZWDO9Sj5mCI

also given Readers Digest's reputation for abridged books I find it really funny they give you the entire four movement Eine Kleine Nachtmusick when basically every other compilation like this only would give you the first movement lol

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 19, 2021

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Rather common but I love the Planets suite by Gustav Holst. Also been very big lately on Faure’s Pavane.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Two great pickups today for my first trip to the record store since lockdown. Mindset by The Necks and Terror's Horns by Natural Snow Buildings.

Mindset was used but in immaculate condition and sounds excellent, though The Necks always have really good production. I also have Unfold so now all I need to find is Vertigo and I'll have everything they've released on vinyl.

Terror's Horns is still easy enough to buy from the label's website but it was still pretty drat cool to find it in a physical store. Also brand new and priced at 10 bucks so while it isn't in my top Natural Snow Buildings releases I couldn't pass on it at that price. It sounds exactly as good as a lofi folk drone album should sound on any format so no complaints there.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

pwn posted:

Now THIS is the kind of quality Blue with Yellow and Maybe Some Red content/recs I was hoping to inspire!

My partner's got this one that fits your theme:

Anyway, here is part 1 of 2 for my latest trip downtown. Apologies for the absolute rear end picture quality/lighting:

Tina Turner (1984)

Eddie Rabbitt (1978)

Loretta Lynn (1972) and Reba McEntire (1983)

Was (Not Was) (1988) and a Patti Labelle/Axel F single from Beverly Hills Cop (1984?)

Peter Frampton (1977), Three Dog Night (1968), and Alan Parsons Project (1977)

No, Mr. Frampton. You most certainly are NOT. :colbert:

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Missed out on the Dee Gees record, so bit the bullet and bought a copy for £70 on eBay.

A couple of hours after paying, I get a message stating the order had been cancelled and I was refunded.

When I went on eBay, the seller I bought the record from had re-listed it with a buy it now price of £120.

Some absolute scumbags in this world.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Pitwar posted:

Missed out on the Dee Gees record, so bit the bullet and bought a copy for £70 on eBay.

A couple of hours after paying, I get a message stating the order had been cancelled and I was refunded.

When I went on eBay, the seller I bought the record from had re-listed it with a buy it now price of £120.

loving poo poo, did they not send any to Europe? My shop had a stack of 20 so I thought it'd be one of those that hangs around in bins forever. I'd offer to try and get one after the fact but US international shipping is stupid expensive, hence why most of us won't do it.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Turbinosamente posted:

loving poo poo, did they not send any to Europe? My shop had a stack of 20 so I thought it'd be one of those that hangs around in bins forever. I'd offer to try and get one after the fact but US international shipping is stupid expensive, hence why most of us won't do it.

Seemed to be really allocated here in the UK. My local store ordered 12 and got 2, which were snapped up right away.

I appreciate the thought but you're right, shipping is just crazy.

Looks like it's going to £100 plus over here at the moment. I'm hoping once the craziness dies down scalpers will be stuck with some copies and reduce the price a bit.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Pitwar posted:

Seemed to be really allocated here in the UK. My local store ordered 12 and got 2, which were snapped up right away.

I appreciate the thought but you're right, shipping is just crazy.

Looks like it's going to £100 plus over here at the moment. I'm hoping once the craziness dies down scalpers will be stuck with some copies and reduce the price a bit.

I looked on US Ebay just now and it's going for a ridiculous $175. Hopefully it will settle down in a year or so. I missed out on UFO live at Youngstown last year and it seems to have settled out at $85 which is maybe double? Can't remember if it was mean to be a $45 msrp.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Turbinosamente posted:

I looked on US Ebay just now and it's going for a ridiculous $175. Hopefully it will settle down in a year or so. I missed out on UFO live at Youngstown last year and it seems to have settled out at $85 which is maybe double? Can't remember if it was mean to be a $45 msrp.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping.

I at least picked up the Bernard Butler and Republica releases I missed from the first drop, so it wasn't a total wash out.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

my turn in the barrel posted:

When I have said barn sale it's because they were literally barn sales.

I went back today and snapped pics.

Anyways, the ashtray end table I wanted had sold. But the classical/opera/foreign in the green tote with the tan lid was still there. I asked her if she'd take $5 for the whole tote and she said yes.

I will have to go through it later tonight and see if it's junk or not.

Edit took some group shots

Readers digest junk

Boxed sets

Rca releases

Angel releases, these have a weird wooden dowel to pull the record out of the sleeve.

Random 12" lps

10" records

OMG that's incredible! I didn't think things like that were still around, I've been living in parts of the country that are so picked over for antiques and stuff that you simply don't find stuff like that anymore. :envy:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

pwn posted:

That An Albatross album owns. All Propagandhi is good although gotta say personally bigger into their more recent stuff.

As for the covers, get this ASAP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think this was actually based on a jazz album cover from the 50s but hey. This was poo poo-hot when it came out.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I've finally got some Terrorvision on vinyl.

They may not mean much to anyone outside of the UK, but they are one of my favourite 90's bands.

This live record is so good too, just a great mix of songs from their back catalogue.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Too much blue and yellow, need more yellow and blue

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Part two of two!

The Lamb of God re-press:

Village People (1979) and J. Geils Band (1980)

Oak Ridge Boys best of (1980), Bob Segar (1978), and Joe Walsh (1978)

Merle Haggard (1969), Willie and Waylon (1983), and Waylon (1978)

I also got some sick Castlevania magnets:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pitwar posted:

120 GBP? That's like eight Garth Brooks box sets!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

120 GBP? That's like eight Garth Brooks box sets!

Garth has fluctuated. His box set is over $100 USD at Amazon now, God bless 'im.

I'd propose the Garth as a standardized unit of measure for bargains in vinyl. Like when I got the entire "The Swing Era" Time Life collection at a thrift store, that was like a 6-8 GB day.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
I lost my mind last week.

I honestly can't decide if Cigarette Smoking Jazz Joni is better than California Hippy Princess Joni

I finished the Fugazi tutorial.

and my backwards trajectory through the Mountain Goats catalog continues.

edit: I am garbage at Imgur

That Guy From Pearldiver fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 20, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Garth has fluctuated. His box set is over $100 USD at Amazon now, God bless 'im.

I'd propose the Garth as a standardized unit of measure for bargains in vinyl. Like when I got the entire "The Swing Era" Time Life collection at a thrift store, that was like a 6-8 GB day.

I love it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The currency of the future will be Garth Brooks records and will remain so long after anyone remembers who Garth Brooks is or what records are.

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005
Monkey see, Monkey do, Monkey has low I.Q.
I opened up a record store about a week ago in my hometown in West Texas. Been a solid week of sales especially since we opened around record store day. Here’s our Instagram if any of you would like to check it out.

https://instagram.com/sounddecayrecords?utm_medium=copy_link

Our biggest selling section so far has been the Dark wave/Minimal wave/ goth and synth pop/80s. I’ve been low key sad that punk especially the new stuff hasn’t been moving but we’ll see how it goes as we progress as a shop.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

mind eraser posted:

I opened up a record store about a week ago in my hometown in West Texas. Been a solid week of sales especially since we opened around record store day. Here’s our Instagram if any of you would like to check it out.

Our biggest selling section so far has been the Dark wave/Minimal wave/ goth and synth pop/80s. I’ve been low key sad that punk especially the new stuff hasn’t been moving but we’ll see how it goes as we progress as a shop.

Do you sell stuff on discogs?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I lost my mind last week.

I honestly can't decide if Cigarette Smoking Jazz Joni is better than California Hippy Princess Joni

I finished the Fugazi tutorial.

and my backwards trajectory through the Mountain Goats catalog continues.

edit: I am garbage at Imgur

remove the t's from the end of the URL

if you jumped from Dragons to AED/Heretic you missed some really good poo poo in between

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

mind eraser posted:

Out of curiosity, how did you get your inventory for opening day? Had you just been acquiring stuff for a long time with the Intention of opening a store down the road, or was it some kind of big lump purchase?