Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Safety Dance posted:

I'm curious, how did they fail? Could you post pictures of the failure?

My Gazelle has a goofy center stand that folds on two axes, but I could get a picture of that and try to see how it's different from Rad's implementation.

I'll snag some photos in a bit, but it looks basically identical to this: https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=510.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I rode an e-bike.
I didn't go farther or faster than normal, but it sure was easy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We got one!

My teenage daughter has figured out that she can load me up with drinks/snacks/lunch/her coat and I can follow her around while her bike is “clean”

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Just a post to state that electric cargobikes rule.
I needed a single board and have misplaced my roof rack so I did this instead. That's 4.2 meters right there :smug:
I've also done a few trash hauls to the recycling center. Might do one more tomorrow.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is there an end in sight to the current stock issues with e-bikes?

This one is available in my size, though I'd prefer the non-SL model for longer range and one with a rack/fenders. Also not such a bright color. But there is almost nothing in stock - would it be a bad idea to go for this bike, or just wait and see when something more ideal comes in stock?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-sl-4-0/p/154894

e: This bike also seems to be getting pretty good reviews, and even if performance isn't the best it has everything for less than half the price. Haven't seen it pop up in this thread, does anyone know if it's a good choice?

https://www.chargebikes.com/products/city-electric-bike

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 17, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there an end in sight to the current stock issues with e-bikes?

If you can find something in stock in your size, it may not stay in stock long.

The entire bike industry is having very difficult supply chain issues, and all we know for sure is that they will not be catching up before mid-2022. The stock issues could go on even longer!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

We got one!

My teenage daughter has figured out that she can load me up with drinks/snacks/lunch/her coat and I can follow her around while her bike is “clean”
LMAO same. Kid1 makes me bend down so he can drink from my pack, the little poo poo. Then he demands we load up the bladder with his fav drink instead of mine.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I rode an e-bike.
I didn't go farther or faster than normal, but it sure was easy.
Reminds me of giving pals on road bikes 45kph leadouts to their fav segments on my cargo bike.

Also you look impossibly cool lmao.

Invalido posted:

Just a post to state that electric cargobikes rule.
Turning any errand into "going for a spin, BRB" is the loving best.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Twerk from Home posted:

If you can find something in stock in your size, it may not stay in stock long.

The entire bike industry is having very difficult supply chain issues, and all we know for sure is that they will not be catching up before mid-2022. The stock issues could go on even longer!

And sure enough, it's gone. I suppose it was my fault for giving a second thought to a $3600 purchase.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The lack of pannier fittings on a $3600 city ebike would have been incredibly annoying though.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

Turning any errand into "going for a spin, BRB" is the loving best.

It is the best. Pretty much everything I do with my e-bikes could be accomplished by car but there would be no joy involved. Also way less convenient to find parking.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Semi-dumb question, but do the dimensions of an ebike impact the overall seat post height when calculating bike fit, or do all the standard bike fit rules apply with respect to comfort, leg extension, and so on? I'm going to probably make a few adjustments on my ride but I don't know enough to know if there should be a major difference.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Standard bike fit rules, with the caveats that if the battery is behind you then it could effect how low the saddle can go, and you might want to be sure you can balance with your foot on the ground if your e-bike is heavy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
One issue that might not have any compensation is that middrive motors can be very wide and result in large Q-factors. Like on fat bikes, you just have to live with it. I suppose you could drop the seat down a smidge?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Seat's already a bit too low and tilted up for my tastes, I'd like a more neutral and higher seat height. I did get a professional fit for my non e-bike and the overall pedal distance gives me a rough idea of where I need to adjust.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm looking for a 20"-26" wheeled e-bike with a rear rack, rear derailleur, disc brakes, without a suspension fork, that looks more like a city bike/commuter. I found this one from 'Macwheel' on amazon, but it doesn't have disc brakes and am a little leery of buying something like that from an unknown brand : https://www.amazon.com/Macwheel-Ele...27576205&sr=8-3

The Blix Aveny looks pretty perfect, but is around $1700. Is that about the price for this kind of bike if I want some amount of service/parts availability? https://blixbike.com/products/aveny-electric-city-bike

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frogbs posted:

The Blix Aveny looks pretty perfect, but is around $1700. Is that about the price for this kind of bike if I want some amount of service/parts availability? https://blixbike.com/products/aveny-electric-city-bike

From what they specify, the components are real bike parts, though low-tier.
The biggest limitation I see is that it uses a 7-speed freewheel on the electric hub (I asked their support to make sure). So you'll never be able to upgrade past 7 speeds, and you're locked into the 7 speed shifter. Only time would tell how good stuff like the wheels and bottom bracket are in terms of wear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IME the stuff that kills a cheap ebike is always a failed powered or drivetrain component you can't get replacements for. I'd really, really aim to get something supported by either Shimano or Bosch.

When my di2 geared hub failed I had a replacement at my bike store in under 4 days. Try that with an amazon special.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

frogbs posted:

I'm looking for a 20"-26" wheeled e-bike with a rear rack, rear derailleur, disc brakes, without a suspension fork, that looks more like a city bike/commuter. I found this one from 'Macwheel' on amazon, but it doesn't have disc brakes and am a little leery of buying something like that from an unknown brand : https://www.amazon.com/Macwheel-Ele...27576205&sr=8-3

I haven't seen a quality name brand ebike for less than $1k.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radcity-electric-commuter-bike

I have a Rad Runner and it's been pretty decent, quality wise. Some complaints about the bolts they use, but it's all aluminum so I kind of expected that.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

SamsCola posted:

I haven't seen a quality name brand ebike for less than $1k.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radcity-electric-commuter-bike

I have a Rad Runner and it's been pretty decent, quality wise. Some complaints about the bolts they use, but it's all aluminum so I kind of expected that.

Nice! Based on what I’ve seen RadPower seems to be the likeliest of the cheaper brands to stay around. I see their bikes everywhere.

I also saw a Tern HSD at REI the other day and though it seemed really well designed. Not sure I could justify paying twice as much vs a Rad Wagon though. It does have much better components, Bosch motor and it’s a mid drive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tern doesn't make the highest end stuff but it's really decent IME. Our GSD had teething problems for example, but they've fixed all of them on the gen2.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

evil_bunnY posted:

Tern doesn't make the highest end stuff but it's really decent IME. Our GSD had teething problems for example, but they've fixed all of them on the gen2.

Thanks! I might take one for a spin next time i'm at REI.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Aventon's e-bikes? The Pace 500 (https://www.aventon.com/products/aventon-pace-500-complete-bike) meets most of my requirements, but doesn't come with a rack, fenders or lights, which you get for the same price with a Rad City.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My Priority Current Arrived, how exciting. Now to sit here instead of putting it together because I'm lazy.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I did the Bridge Pedal in Portland Oregon this weekend, and saw a guy with a little e-bike that I didn't recognize. It was black and mid-drive (looked like a Bosch motor but not 100% on that), and was sort of like a Brompton, with 16" or 20" wheels, but didn't look like it folded. It had a small rack in the back. It was sort of like a Tern HSD that wasn't as long, and didn't look as 'modern'. It almost looked like a mid-drive Velo Orange Neutrino with a rack on the back.

Anyone have any idea what bike that might have been?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frogbs posted:

I did the Bridge Pedal in Portland Oregon this weekend, and saw a guy with a little e-bike that I didn't recognize. It was black and mid-drive (looked like a Bosch motor but not 100% on that), and was sort of like a Brompton, with 16" or 20" wheels, but didn't look like it folded. It had a small rack in the back. It was sort of like a Tern HSD that wasn't as long, and didn't look as 'modern'. It almost looked like a mid-drive Velo Orange Neutrino with a rack on the back.

Anyone have any idea what bike that might have been?

Tern Vektron?

Though it does fold.

Riese and Mueller Tinker?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kimbo305 posted:

Riese and Mueller Tinker?

Oh wow, yeah i'm pretty-sure that was it. Thank you!

While trying to find that I discovered that Bikes Direct sells e-bikes now. Some of them with pretty nice mid-drive systems. Anyone heard anything good/bad?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/e-bikes-electric-bicycles/ebikes-electric-folding-bikes-ef3.htm

I feel like buying anything that folds from a no-name brand is just asking for eventual pain, but these are priced seemingly pretty well!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i've been reading and watching a lot of e-bike reviews, and based on comments it seems like theres at least two main e-bike user groups:

1.) People who want a bike that helps them a little in terms of effort, usually for running errands/getting groceries, etc.

2.) People who want an e-moped and don't really want to pedal at all (i've seen comments about putting motorcycle tires on e-bikes).

There also seems to be a big divide in terms of pricing. Not even necessarily Rad Power vs. the more expensive mid-drive models, but non-name chinese stuff vs anything else. It's really interesting. I found this comment on a Tern HSD review:

quote:

With all the really nice e-bikes on the market now, and even some of the DIY kits, who's paying $3,500 for that bike. I could see it may be appealing to the retired well-to-do senior citizen crowd. If you gave that bike to me or anybody that I know for free, it would just sit and collect dust. There's just nothing appealing about this bike at all. You would be better off putting a $250 Hub motor kit on a huffy Cranbrook, and do something else with the remaining $3,000 that are in your pocket

I get that there's huge price disparities, but I don't think anyone would turn their nose up at a free Tern!

I guess what i'm getting at is that the e-bike market is pretty varied, which is actually a good thing! Lots of different use cases out there, certainly different than the regular cycling market.

Duck and Cover posted:

My Priority Current Arrived, how exciting. Now to sit here instead of putting it together because I'm lazy.

That looks pretty nice! Please post a trip report once you get it going!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 10, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
And then there is the U.K. where it’s pedal assist and limited to 15mph. Our bikes tend to have much smaller batteries and motors as default but that the default entry level tends to be a lot cheaper than in America and has better components (but clearly not as fast). Only now is 80 miles range a reasonable ask for a £1000 bike.

Of course we have the higher end bikes but those tend to be ridden on gravel by old people who bought ebikes with the money they would have spend on a cruise in 2020, which is awesome because suddenly we got a lot of old people annoyed that the cycle infrastructure that will get them from their house to the cycleways is bad.

It’s so bad that I moved house so that I could immediately cut through to the old abandoned railway lines and never have to go on a road.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

frogbs posted:

I get that there's huge price disparities, but I don't think anyone would turn their nose up at a free Tern!
that person has never ridden a good pedelec and it shows. modern mid drives are pretty much seamless, and half the point of the HSD/GSDs is that it's a complete system you can tailor to your needs. The other half is the drivetrain and components aren't just disposable. A huffy with a pedal sensing 500w chinesium motor is essentially a disposable moped.

frogbs posted:

I guess what i'm getting at is that the e-bike market is pretty varied, which is actually a good thing! Lots of different use cases out there, certainly different than the regular cycling market.
Sure but what really grinds my gears is the low quality stuff that just rusts from day 1 and puts people off (e-)bikes.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 10, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People got to look at the bike and the electrical stuff that makes it an ebike as completely separate things. You wouldn’t accept tourney on a £1500 regular bike so don’t accept it on a ebike, because at that price point you can start looking at high end regular bikes or mid range bikes and ebike conversion.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

evil_bunnY posted:

that person has never ridden a good pedelec and it shows. modern mid drives are pretty much seamless, and half the point of the HSD/GSDs is that it's a complete system you can tailor to your needs. The other half is the drivetrain and components aren't just disposable. A huffy with a pedal sensing 500w chinesium motor is essentially a disposable moped.

Sure but what really grinds my gears is the low quality stuff that just rusts from day 1 and puts people off (e-)bikes.

The other thing that bugs me about the e-bike market is that for some reason people seem to want to put 3+ inch tires on everything. You don't need super wide tires in most cases, especially if you're going to be doing some of the pedaling. I think you could pretty reliably split the ebike market by tire size, anyone who's looking (or think they need) really wide tires is mostly looking for a moped.

learnincurve posted:

People got to look at the bike and the electrical stuff that makes it an ebike as completely separate things. You wouldn’t accept tourney on a £1500 regular bike so don’t accept it on a ebike, because at that price point you can start looking at high end regular bikes or mid range bikes and ebike conversion.

Not to defend Tourney, but I had a Tourney rear derailleur on an old Stumpjumper and it was actually surprising good and lasted years (until I sold the bike at least)!

I do think that part of the draw of the $1500+ bike/ebike is that you're hopefully getting some level of manufacturer support. If you're doing a conversion yourself you're basically on your own.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

frogbs posted:

So i've been reading and watching a lot of e-bike reviews, and based on comments it seems like theres at least two main e-bike user groups:

1.) People who want a bike that helps them a little in terms of effort, usually for running errands/getting groceries, etc.

2.) People who want an e-moped and don't really want to pedal at all (i've seen comments about putting motorcycle tires on e-bikes).

There also seems to be a big divide in terms of pricing. Not even necessarily Rad Power vs. the more expensive mid-drive models, but non-name chinese stuff vs anything else. It's really interesting. I found this comment on a Tern HSD review:

That looks pretty nice! Please post a trip report once you get it going!

Duck and Cover posted:

Hey it looks more like a bike. No I didn't unscrew something I shouldn't have what makes you think that? (I totally did brake fluid is the reason for the paper towels, oopsie)

I have tried it since then and it's nice however on like 3-5 assist level it has a whistling noise which is kind of annoying. The mid motor feels smoother then the hub on my previous bike (ride1up lmt'd). At 2630 (Costco discount) I'd say it's worth it but I'm not sure about 3300. Just my initial opinions as I didn't go very far.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cugel the Clever posted:

However, I'm trying to get to bed and am now suffering what I've noticed after my other rides: a persistent phantom sensation of being propelled forward. It's not sickening or anything, just highly distracting. The only comparable experience I've had is getting off a boat only to find the sensation of being rocked by waves sticking with me for hours and hours.

Did you ever play Guitar Hero / Rock Band? I played for a while and then everything moved forward if I stood up if I hadn't gotten up in a while. It didn't last long though.

I've read the last 2 pages and the first page, sorry for some newbie questions, I'll go into lurk mode probably for a while.

The big disadvantage of a step through bike is weight, right?

And I see discussion of Rad Power Bikes here on this page, how are they able to be so much cheaper than other brands but they say Panasonic or Samsung cells? Just everything else cheaper components + volume? They're pretty popular around here.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Charles posted:

I don't think step throughs weigh significantly more than any other frame design. This would be especially negligible when you have a motor!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Charles posted:

And I see discussion of Rad Power Bikes here on this page, how are they able to be so much cheaper than other brands but they say Panasonic or Samsung cells?
I don't have the energy to effort post, but if you had the chance to test ride the difference will become more clear.

I'd put rad power bikes at the more reputable end of the cheap bikes, but still on a completely different level from a seamless torque sensing setup.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CopperHound posted:

I don't have the energy to effort post, but if you had the chance to test ride the difference will become more clear.

I'd put rad power bikes at the more reputable end of the cheap bikes, but still on a completely different level from a seamless torque sensing setup.

No worries, I can lurk a bit and go back a few more pages and try and read up.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Charles posted:

Did you ever play Guitar Hero / Rock Band? I played for a while and then everything moved forward if I stood up if I hadn't gotten up in a while. It didn't last long though.
Didn't quite get that, but once tried Skyrim VR for an hour and, walking around for about the hour afterward, was stuck with a weird urge to push forward on a joystick to go faster. It's weird how quickly the brain adapts to stuff like that.

Charles posted:

+1 to it being negligible, especially given the assist. Most ebikes are already stupid heavy as is, and a few pounds here or there won't make a huge difference. Though if you plan to put it on a bus front bike rack, definitely check the transit authorities restrictions—Seattle, for example, maxes out at 55lbs. RadPower bikes are well in excess of that.

Charles posted:

And I see discussion of Rad Power Bikes here on this page, how are they able to be so much cheaper than other brands but they say Panasonic or Samsung cells? Just everything else cheaper components + volume? They're pretty popular around here.
General consensus is that they're great for a cheap ebike, but, as a cheap ebike, have quality/maintenance issues that might be avoided on a mid-tier bike.

Definitely worth getting a feel for a few with test rides. Both Rad Power and VanMoof have showrooms for test rides and your local bike shop most likely does too (assuming the supply chain issues of the spring have lessened).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

frogbs posted:

I don't think step throughs weigh significantly more than any other frame design. This would be especially negligible when you have a motor!

I have step through and MTB ebikes that both weigh over 25kg ama.

The big difference imo is where the weight of the battery is , with the Dutch bike it’s under the rack at the back, the MTB is in the middle. Personally I find being able to step through with the battery + whatever heavy stuff I’m hauling on the back invaluable because of how quickly it could go sideways - the MTB does not have that same issue. The Dutch is also an absolute ballache if you need to push it up kerbing or steps into the house (only the seat and rack to grab hold of) .

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Charles posted:

They're the mattress-in-the-box equivalent of ebikes and do have some QA issues like the kickstand someone brought up earlier. That being said, they're decent for its price range and are popular enough that your LBS shouldn't have issues doing maintenance on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A lot of the cheaper ebikes use the same hub motor model, or the same design, which has a freewheel and means you're limited to 7-speed freewheels at best.
That is to say, going to a modern 9, 10, or 11 speeds is simply not viable, even if you end up finding 7 speeds too much of a spread.
Having the electric power fill in some helps a lot ime, but it's certainly one of the very noticeable areas of cheaping out.