Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Speaking of Majel Barret, does anybody else hate the loving Alexa voice they use for the computer on Disco? loving bullshit product placement.

I'm not sure I've ever heard an Alexa, so I can't compare but I do think it's a crime against humanity that Majel isn't the voice of all phone assistants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hundreds of years from now we're joining a galactic federation, and some ambassador notes that all human ships have the same vocal interface.

"Oh yeah... We kind of... Fantasized about this poo poo and this lady's voice was a computer and it... sorta stuck."

"I... See."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The General posted:

I'm not sure I've ever heard an Alexa, so I can't compare but I do think it's a crime against humanity that Majel isn't the voice of all phone assistants.

Google's phone assistant development program was even codenamed Majel.

Ultimately, though, the voice we end up with is really just whatever they're able to synthesise best and make most understandable. Reliably and quickly doing that can give you a fairly constrained range of what they sound like. IIRC Majel Barret recorded the full set of phenomes before she passed but there's a lot more to synthesising than that.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Hundreds of years from now we're joining a galactic federation, and some ambassador notes that all human ships have the same vocal interface.

"Oh yeah... We kind of... Fantasized about this poo poo and this lady's voice was a computer and it... sorta stuck."

"I... See."

Being able to design something that cannot be done is a clear indication of capability to imagination and abstract thought, so that should go to the "allow into the galactic federation"-column.

However, most of the other poo poo we do will go to the "do not allow, and quarantine these chucklefucks like Talos IV because they are danger to everyone around them".

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

MikeJF posted:

Google's phone assistant development program was even codenamed Majel.

Ultimately, though, the voice we end up with is really just whatever they're able to synthesise best and make most understandable. Reliably and quickly doing that can give you a fairly constrained range of what they sound like. IIRC Majel Barret recorded the full set of phenomes before she passed but there's a lot more to synthesising than that.

as someone who worked in voice synthesis, you are absolutely correct; frictives, phonemes and formants all need to be accounted for when creating an understandable voice.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's fine to hate neelix but it's not fine to go off on philips about it. it's not like the malodorous pedophile cat man was his idea.

He did an awesome job playing a judge in Better Call Saul.

He did the best he could with what he was given.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

tango alpha delta posted:

as someone who worked in voice synthesis, you are absolutely correct; frictives, phonemes and formants all need to be accounted for when creating an understandable voice.

Obviously Majel Barret should have just sit down and read aloud from an unabridged dictionary all day every day until they have every word on tape.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Obviously Majel Barret should have just sit down and read aloud from an unabridged dictionary all day every day until they have every word on tape.

You joke, but even that wouldn't be enough, then you have word-level inflections and emphasis. Things like how you can tell the difference between a sentence and a question based on how they're spoken, or an ambiguous subject that's clarified by which word is emphasized more.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Voyager rewatch! Tattoo was a pretty good episode for the first half where the message was "DON'T TRUST WHITEY OH GOD GET RID OF THEM" and really bad during the second half when the message was "Aboriginal gods were aliens unlike The Real God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

"apollo and satan and the gods of the first nations are all a bunch of loving aliens" - star trek

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Threshold theory:

That weird poo poo all happened because when you occupy all points of space simultaneously, that includes the galactic barrier

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

every time i see Richard D. James in the credits i have to remind myself that it isn't the Aphex Twin guy and then i wonder what if it were

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MikeJF posted:

You joke, but even that wouldn't be enough, then you have word-level inflections and emphasis. Things like how you can tell the difference between a sentence and a question based on how they're spoken, or an ambiguous subject that's clarified by which word is emphasized more.

That's really not a problem. Adobe has a late experimental platform that learns a voice and can speak new phrases when given text. The producers of the new Anthony Bourdain documentary commissioned an AI for him to "read" letters he had written to friends but never intended for public consumption. They're getting some flack for it.

Roger Ebert tried to do something like this when he lost his ability to speak. He and Gene Siskel had a show for decades so there's plenty to material to collect, right? Wrong. Most of their shows were them shouting at each other and unsuitable for basic narration.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Automatic Slim posted:

That's really not a problem. Adobe has a late experimental platform that learns a voice and can speak new phrases when given text. The producers of the new Anthony Bourdain documentary commissioned an AI for him to "read" letters he had written to friends but never intended for public consumption. They're getting some flack for it.

Apparently, this in particular sounds terrible. As in, it does a terrible job of sounding like Anthony Bourdain reading an email.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Threshold theory:

That weird poo poo all happened because when you occupy all points of space simultaneously, that includes the galactic barrier

This is one thing I've always wondered about that "occupy all points simultaneously" thing, is it seems like it should absolutely be impossible, no just incredibly difficult, because it would just, like, kill you. Lots of the universe is extremely deadly to humans! How can you just "exist" there, just because you're existing elsewhere? It's so bizarre.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

You're protected by the warp field, of course

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's existing, and then there's existing. threshold was the latter.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Well, when you ask why I'm not dying from existing inside a black hole, burning sun, and the void of space all at once I will smugly reply that I'm also on a Caribbean beach in the sun.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Threshold is dumb because the Enterprise D went beyond warp 10 on at least two separate occasions (the first Warp Groomer episode and the one where Barclay shoves a USB cord up his rear end) and no one turned into amphibians in that. In the first instance they even made it to a realm of pure thought!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
warp 10 has meant wildly different things each time it has happened.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

warp 10 has meant wildly different things each time it has happened.

I want to say I read a Star Trek CYOA when I was a kid that had like Warp 17.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

In All Good Things they go like Warp 13 or something on Beverlys ship, but I’m not counting that because maybe they just altered the scale because they got sick of saying 9.3, 9.7, etc.

I’m also not counting the times where it was dimensional shenanigans like the Lore+Borg episode (or the trans warp conduits from voyager)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Look, you can go whatever speed you want, we just needed a reason for them to turn into amphibians and gently caress

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gaukler posted:

Threshold is dumb because the Enterprise D went beyond warp 10 on at least two separate occasions (the first Warp Groomer episode and the one where Barclay shoves a USB cord up his rear end) and no one turned into amphibians in that. In the first instance they even made it to a realm of pure thought!

Threshhold is dumb because the end point of evolution is crabs. Not lizards.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CainFortea posted:

Threshhold is dumb because the end point of evolution is crabs. Not lizards.

That's just like, your opinion man.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The problem is we're already crabs!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

we could be crabbier

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The original Enterprise apparently went Warp 14.1 in one episode of TOS.

I also recall that in Star Trek 3, the Excelsior was supposed to be able to exceed warp 10 since it was a Transwarp testbed ship.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

The General posted:

I want to say I read a Star Trek CYOA when I was a kid that had like Warp 17.

Very possible, I think there's even an episode of TOS in which the Enterprise goes that speed. Gene Roddenberry didn't decide that Warp 10 was infinite speed and the limit until the development of TNG. Which of course doesn't make much sense since you have to start using ridiculous fractions of Warp 9 to express really fast speeds.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Look, you can go whatever speed you want, we just needed a reason for them to turn into amphibians and gently caress

Let the writers have their fucklizards, sure, but there’s plenty of canon-friendly ways to turn main cast members into lizards in order to gently caress. It’s just lazy writing. :colbert:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I get the feeling everyone was getting real lazy by the time Voyager started to air

You've got what? Space rays, weird nebula, transporter accident, capricious god thing, and unexpected warp drive malfunction to choose from. Maybe the holodeck doing something weird, as a stretch.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 19, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Ghostlight posted:

we could be crabbier

I'd like to point out that the limb between its legs is in fact not a penis but a butthole, that is used for locomotion via farting in zero G.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nice humblebrag

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Meme Poker Party posted:

That's just like, your opinion man.

There is actually a scientific meme I guess where that joke might have come from. There is a crazy number of different things that have evolved into crab like forms. There is actually a name for it, Carcinisation.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It was just brought to my attention that Captain Jellico is Ronny fuckin Cox???

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In season one of Voyager, Janeway meets her spirit animal with Chakotay's help and it's a lizard lmao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

The original Enterprise apparently went Warp 14.1 in one episode of TOS.

I also recall that in Star Trek 3, the Excelsior was supposed to be able to exceed warp 10 since it was a Transwarp testbed ship.

I think the explanation was that they redid the warp scale at some point between TOS and TNG, and the excelsior either didn't work or every ship in the TNG era is "transwarp" in the same way and the word just means "faster than the federation currently knows how to go"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GolfHole posted:

if you want me to go fast say warp 9

if you want me to go real fast say warp 9 engage

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The future ship in All Good Things hit warp 13 or something, I've always assumed they redid the warp scale every couple of decades because humans cant help themselves. Same with the uniforms, we need to constantly change stuff so we can do paperwork and complain about all the paperwork. Humans are a broken species

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I thought the different uniforms was for telling roughly what year it is when you inevitably travel back in time to check out some tribbles.