Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Breaking: Labour Party to rebrand as “Tory party, but not as mean”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's all so frustrating, because anyone who isn't a fool can see that there's no path to a Labour victory that doesn't involve replicating 2017 and then building on it. All this twatting around with factional bullshit is just damaging the party beyond repair. Idiots.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

The strong/wealthy do as they wish, the weak/poor endure as they must.

Not seeing much change it things... strangely ambivalent about humanity atm for some reason. :raise:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That a majority of people are entirely willing to kill people for fun as long as they don't think it will be them, is evident from the past few decades of governments they have voted for, but I continue to think that it is a bad idea and we should avoid doing it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/jul/18/what-is-pegasus-spyware-and-how-does-it-hack-phones

quote:

What is Pegasus spyware and how does it hack phones?

NSO Group software can record your calls, copy your messages and secretly film you

David Pegg and Sam Cutler
Sun 18 Jul 2021 17.00 BST

It is the name for perhaps the most powerful piece of spyware ever developed – certainly by a private company. Once it has wormed its way on to your phone, without you noticing, it can turn it into a 24-hour surveillance device. It can copy messages you send or receive, harvest your photos and record your calls. It might secretly film you through your phone’s camera, or activate the microphone to record your conversations. It can potentially pinpoint where you are, where you’ve been, and who you’ve met.

Pegasus is the hacking software – or spyware – that is developed, marketed and licensed to governments around the world by the Israeli company NSO Group. It has the capability to infect billions of phones running either iOS or Android operating systems.

The earliest version of Pegasus discovered, which was captured by researchers in 2016, infected phones through what is called spear-phishing – text messages or emails that trick a target into clicking on a malicious link.

Since then, however, NSO’s attack capabilities have become more advanced. Pegasus infections can be achieved through so-called “zero-click” attacks, which do not require any interaction from the phone’s owner in order to succeed. These will often exploit “zero-day” vulnerabilities, which are flaws or bugs in an operating system that the mobile phone’s manufacturer does not yet know about and so has not been able to fix.

In 2019 WhatsApp revealed that NSO’s software had been used to send malware to more than 1,400 phones by exploiting a zero-day vulnerability. Simply by placing a WhatsApp call to a target device, malicious Pegasus code could be installed on the phone, even if the target never answered the call. More recently NSO has begun exploiting vulnerabilities in Apple’s iMessage software, giving it backdoor access to hundreds of millions of iPhones. Apple says it is continually updating its software to prevent such attacks.

Technical understanding of Pegasus, and how to find the evidential breadcrumbs it leaves on a phone after a successful infection, has been improved by research conducted by Claudio Guarnieri, who runs Amnesty International’s Berlin-based Security Lab.

“Things are becoming a lot more complicated for the targets to notice,” said Guarnieri, who explained that NSO clients had largely abandoned suspicious SMS messages for more subtle zero-click attacks.

For companies such as NSO, exploiting software that is either installed on devices by default, such as iMessage, or is very widely used, such as WhatsApp, is especially attractive, because it dramatically increases the number of mobile phones Pegasus can successfully attack.

As the technical partner of the Pegasus project, an international consortium of media organisations including the Guardian, Amnesty’s lab has discovered traces of successful attacks by Pegasus customers on iPhones running up-to-date versions of Apple’s iOS. The attacks were carried out as recently as July 2021.

Forensic analysis of the phones of victims has also identified evidence suggesting NSO’s constant search for weaknesses may have expanded to other commonplace apps. In some of the cases analysed by Guarnieri and his team, peculiar network traffic relating to Apple’s Photos and Music apps can be seen at the times of the infections, suggesting NSO may have begun leveraging new vulnerabilities.

Where neither spear-phishing nor zero-click attacks succeed, Pegasus can also be installed over a wireless transceiver located near a target, or, according to an NSO brochure, simply manually installed if an agent can steal the target’s phone.

Once installed on a phone, Pegasus can harvest more or less any information or extract any file. SMS messages, address books, call history, calendars, emails and internet browsing histories can all be exfiltrated.

... more words...

Lawyers for NSO claimed that Amnesty International’s technical report was conjecture, describing it as “a compilation of speculative and baseless assumptions”. However, they did not dispute any of its specific findings or conclusions.

... etc

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Horrifying phone malware.

Presumably 90 percent of the data harvested are cat pics.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Drone_Fragger posted:

"Earth. Blair. 1997."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Preferably on Flamborough Head.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Wales is not on the Danish red list but the rest of the UK is from 17th July.
Not sure how that will work! I'm not aware of direct flights to Denmark from a Welsh airport so how would you prove you're from Wales not England?

quote:

Summary
Still current at:
18 July 2021
Updated:
16 July 2021
Latest update:
Updated information on requirements for entry to Denmark; the UK (with the exception of Wales) will be rated red from 4pm on 17 July. ('Entry requirements' page)

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/denmark

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the story about the mexican journalist just chilling in a hammock hidden awayfrom the street as assassins pinpoint his phone position and then murder him is chilling

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah I'm British and live in Australia and today heard that my Gran's dementia is taking a turn for the worse back home at about the same time that I heard that Katie loving Hopkins was allowed in to piss around in Australian hotel quarantine. Pretty loving livid about it to be honest.

You’ll be pleased to know that if you *do* decide to come back to the UK briefly there’s a good chance you’ll be on the same flight as Hatey Hopkins. She’s being deported.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can anyone explain the following?

https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1416879092020957187?s=19

I'm not saying I don't believe it, since capitalism is so hosed it sounds about right. But then why levy the £1.25m fine in judgement if they can't pay it?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can anyone explain the following?

https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1416879092020957187?s=19

I'm not saying I don't believe it, since capitalism is so hosed it sounds about right. But then why levy the £1.25m fine in judgement if they can't pay it?

I think they are confusing a fine (a penalty levied by a government) with an award given by a jury in a civil lawsuit. But I haven’t read the article.

Nope, I’m wrong. I thought I should read the article. It’s even worse than it seems:

quote:

An E.E.O.C. lawyer declined to comment, but the agency’s website notes that compensatory and punitive damages are capped at $300,000 for employers with more 500 workers.

therattle fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 19, 2021

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
There was a big push in the 90s and 2000s for "tort reform", which is to say restricting what you can get in awards to certain (often very low) caps. It was just greedy people trying to get a free buck out of hard-working companies and their scummy, ambulance-chasing lawyers that were the issue. Corporations pushed this line extremely hard, as well as making sure that the 'McDonalds coffee lady' was the butt of every joke possible for years.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's all so frustrating, because anyone who isn't a fool can see that there's no path to a Labour victory that doesn't involve replicating 2017 and then building on it. All this twatting around with factional bullshit is just damaging the party beyond repair. Idiots.

Tony Blair came right out and said that he'd prefer Labor to lose to the Tories than win with a leftist leader / agenda.

Scratch a liberal and you'll find a fascist, every time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Catpetter1981 posted:

Tony Blair came right out and said that he'd prefer Labor to lose to the Tories than win with a leftist leader / agenda.

Scratch a liberal and you'll find a fascist, every time.

I don’t actually think that’s true, nor helpful

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I rarely need to contact my GP, but I've got a foot I can barely walk around on that is throbbing and generally very painful.
So I called my practice - oh, they've moved, here's the new phone number said twice very quickly before I could even find a loving pen.
No big deal, find a pen, call back, make a note of the new number.
Phone the new number - "we've got a new system for booking or requesting appointments, use [______]".
Fine, find the webpage online, spend 5 minutes looking for the right link because they set the loving banner as the link because they're loving idiots (or I'm a loving idiot; either one).
Put my details in to register with the system - "oh, your practice isn't set up on this system".
Phone the practice back and choose the option that lets me speak with a person - "oh, our system doesn't book appointments before 10am, please phone back then".

Is it just me or does this seem like nothing less than a way of funneling patients away from GP services and towards A&E/Urgent Care? I'm not going to go to the local Walk-In Centre or A&E because I've got a very painful foot, but I couldn't blame anyone who did if this is what they have to go through.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

therattle posted:

I don’t actually think that’s true, nor helpful

It's been shown time and again that given the choice, liberals will always side with the right wing over the left.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Current state of play with my GP is you start ringing at just before 8am and you are lucky as hell if you manage to get through and onto the hold music before half 8- I have hit seventy+ attempts in a morning only to be told there's no appointments left, ring back tomorrow.

If you do get through, you are asked if it's urgent or not. If it's not and you are honest, they will set you up with a non urgent appointment with a wait of 4 to 5 weeks- if you don't mind seeing a locum doctor

This morning I near crapped myself when I got through first time, a few minutes before they officially opened the lines

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

kingturnip posted:

I rarely need to contact my GP, but I've got a foot I can barely walk around on that is throbbing and generally very painful.
So I called my practice - oh, they've moved, here's the new phone number said twice very quickly before I could even find a loving pen.
No big deal, find a pen, call back, make a note of the new number.
Phone the new number - "we've got a new system for booking or requesting appointments, use [______]".
Fine, find the webpage online, spend 5 minutes looking for the right link because they set the loving banner as the link because they're loving idiots (or I'm a loving idiot; either one).
Put my details in to register with the system - "oh, your practice isn't set up on this system".
Phone the practice back and choose the option that lets me speak with a person - "oh, our system doesn't book appointments before 10am, please phone back then".

Is it just me or does this seem like nothing less than a way of funneling patients away from GP services and towards A&E/Urgent Care? I'm not going to go to the local Walk-In Centre or A&E because I've got a very painful foot, but I couldn't blame anyone who did if this is what they have to go through.

I had a similar experience where I was told no fewer than three different procedures for becoming a temporary patient only to be told finally that I couldn’t make an appointment as a temporary resident anyway lol

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Mebh posted:

Presumably 90 percent of the data harvested are cat pics.

No, it's a big deal. They have 50,000 phone numbers targeted by a tool marketed for anti-terrorism and they are all journalists, lawyers, activists all that.

Jamal Khashoggi's family is on the list.

I would be amazed if the guardian aren't holding back the UK phone numbers. Fully expecting to see hacking by the home office of XR, momentum, gently caress knows who else for a later dump.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 19, 2021

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I rang my GP last week after 3 days of stinging headaches. Can't book through website, phone only: rang around 3pm, waited 20 mins on hold only to be smugly told 'try again tomorrow at either 8am/1pm, goodbye'.
I got through within 5 minutes next day despite being caller 11 at 8 on the dot, but is it too difficult to put this info on the website/automatic phone message? They've been good otherwise - GP called back at 930am, then asked me to come down in person. I didn't say it was urgent but I did firmly say I want an appointment today, so keep that in mind.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

111 has basically turned into WebMD at this point, if there's the slightest possibility that it might involve chest pain they send me to A&E where an exhausted looking consultant takes my pulse and a blood test and then I go home feeling like I wasted everyone's time.

therattle posted:

Nope, I’m wrong. I thought I should read the article. It’s even worse than it seems:
It's just mad, because in that case why state the fine as 1.25 million in the judgement if there's a cap of 300k?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jiggerypokery posted:

No, it's a big deal. They have 50,000 phone numbers targeted by a tool marketed for anti-terrorism and they are all journalists, lawyers, activists all that.

Jamal Khashoggi's family is on the list.

I would be amazed if the guardian aren't holding back the UK phone numbers. Fully expecting to see hacking by the home office of XR, momentum, gently caress knows who else for a later dump.

The Guardian won't release any thing embarrassing to the British state any more.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

111 has basically turned into WebMD at this point, if there's the slightest possibility that it might involve chest pain they send me to A&E where an exhausted looking consultant takes my pulse and a blood test and then I go home feeling like I wasted everyone's time.

It's just mad, because in that case why state the fine as 1.25 million in the judgement if there's a cap of 300k?

It's a structural problem now - GPs are non functional so urgent issues get escalated to emergency priority which is why they say go to A&E which is overloading them.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57883692

quote:

Katie Hopkins to be deported from Australia over quarantine rules

Controversial British commentator Katie Hopkins will be deported from Australia for bragging about flouting hotel quarantine rules, says the government.

Ms Hopkins - who has often drawn anger for racist remarks - had entered the country to star in TV show Big Brother Australia.

On Friday she posted a video from her Sydney hotel room where she joked about putting frontline staff at risk.

Her comments sparked widespread condemnation.

In the video, Ms Hopkins said she planned to "lie in wait" for workers to deliver food to her room so she could open the door "naked with no face mask".

She also called lockdowns the "greatest hoax in human history". Australia's two biggest cities, Sydney and Melbourne, are both in lockdown.

The post has since been wiped from her Instagram.

On Monday, the Australian government confirmed her visa had been cancelled, after she was also sacked from the reality show.

Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews called Ms Hopkins' comments "appalling" and a "slap in the face" for Australians in lockdown.

"We will be getting her out of the country as soon as we can possible arrange that," the minister told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"Personally, I'm very pleased she'll be leaving," she said.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why did we never think of deporting her?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

stev posted:

Why did we never think of deporting her?

White

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Could use the Shamima Begum logic

Mr Brit-urns: "We are taking away Hopkins' British citizenship"
Smithers: "But sir, won't that leave her stateless"
MB: "No, she can have Australian citizenship"

Australia: "What? No, we don't want her, she's just a visitor"

MB: "Yep...a good old Australian citizen" (dusts hands completionally)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hello it's me the defender of western morality indecently exposing myself to hotel staff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Aphex- posted:

It's been shown time and again that given the choice, liberals will always side with the right wing over the left.

That may be true, and even if it is, not all right-wingers are fascists. I don't know, it just seems like making blanket statements like that and equating all liberals with rightwingers and calling all of them fascists is basically othering. I don't think it's helpful. It also diminishes the value of a term like fascist, which has a specific meaning.

I love that Hopkins actually got to sign a contract and go to Australia, and then get deported. It's much better than not having been granted a visa in the first place.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, and the limit only applies to larger companies. A small company which maybe can't afford it can be liable for an unlimited amount but larger ones get it capped. It's so brazen.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 19, 2021

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I have a job organising events and having a bit of a mare wondering how to do it safely - but theres also a bit of an ethical thing in it, as it seems daft to me we are holding any public events at the moment with no masks or restrictions or anything (or at least it being up to the person). Especially as most of the events we're planning also happen to be for groups most vulnerable to covid.

I've been isolating for ages, always mask up, socially distant etc. so it seems counterintuitive I'm planning events for over a hundred people to take place in a couple of weeks that I wouldn't feel comfortable attending myself. Trying to work out a way I can convince various people that this is a bad idea.

More like FreeDon't day, rite?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

therattle posted:

That may be true, and even if it is, not all right-wingers are fascists. I don't know, it just seems like making blanket statements like that and equating all liberals with rightwingers and calling all of them fascists is basically othering. I don't think it's helpful. It also diminishes the value of a term like fascist, which has a specific meaning.

Yes, it does, and if you've been paying attention the last few years you'll recognise that our current right wing parties are it. Brexit has at one point or another met all fourteen of the criteria for a fascist movement as laid out by Eco.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

quote:

All one can do for the moment is to use the word with a certain amount of circumspection and not, as is usually done, degrade it to the level of a swearword.
https://orwell.ru/library/articles/As_I_Please/english/efasc

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

Yes, it does, and if you've been paying attention the last few years you'll recognise that our current right wing parties are it. Brexit has at one point or another met all fourteen of the criteria for a fascist movement as laid out by Eco.

There are certainly strong elements of fascism on the right (hello, Priti!) but not all rightwingers are fascists. For instance, I don't think that the One Nation Tories are really
fascist.

Indeed. Unsurprisingly Orwell states it better than I possibly could.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 19, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkY88kvkdvU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

rattled again

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'd say grassing up commies to british intelligence was a pretty fascist thing to do but then I don't know words as good as Mr Animal Farm CIA adaptation throaty McHurty. I haven't even forgiven the socdems for Rosa, liberals are going to have to get in the queue.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He's not wrong.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If you're a small c tory or lib who wilfully ignores actual fash in your party, then you are also fash.

To the wall with the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Does anyone know where I'd stand when living in Wales, working in England, when Wales' directive is still 'work from home if you can.'?

I guess the 'if you can' is the sticking point... my work is being pretty lovely about saying 'you have to come back to the office', so it seems it's up to them, rather than me, whether I 'can' work from home.

Even aside from covid, i'm really hosed off about having to shove my laptop into a backpack and jump on a train for a lengthy and pricy commute to do the exact same thing that i've been doing perfectly fine for over a year. So I'm desperate to avoid it if I can.