Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's really good!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
loving amazing. Fujimoto truly is one of a kind.

BGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0GpxW8K0vY

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I knew Fujimoto was good but I did not expect such impressive range and emotional depth.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Fujimoto is incredibly talented and this oneshot was great. I hope Fujimoto is doing okay.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ah drat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"hey kids! what if bakuman was TRAGIC?"

alternatively, inio asano's "Downfall" with violent adolescent angst instead of dreary middle-aged angst

fujimoto's last two series rely a lot on their fantastical elements but this is a reminder he's got the human angle locked down as well

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Not gonna lie, that oneshot was really good, and it felt like, I dunno, like it might be partially semi-autobiographical, or have some basis on real-life events.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
my favorite original series, Shark Kick

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It even has his signature shot: people sitting in a movie theater.

Fujimoto is a treasure.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fujimoto is really freaking good at his job. That 143 pages flew by.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It's on Viz too if you prefer page turning instead of scrolling

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/look-back-chapter-1/chapter/23027?action=read

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That was very good.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Me for the past 10 minutes after finishing. Man it does seem like its somewhat semi-autobiographical. It is called "Look Back" and all.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
absolutely.

the art, the writing. deeply humanistic and so good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fujino, kyomoto

the axe attack is also a mashup of the Sagamihara knife attack (2016) and Kyoani arson (2 year anniversary today)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Its shark time baby :qq:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You're not supposed to be this good--jesus poo poo, dude's 27. I swear that, if he joined with the girl who did the art for Act-Age, they'd be un-loving-stoppable. :tviv:

Also n'thing on the :cry::qq:. Again, how is this motherfucker so good?

prince of hell
May 9, 2021

kino

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That was excellent and punched me in the soul

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yep, that hits you in the heart.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

KidDynamite posted:

Fujimoto is really freaking good at his job. That 143 pages flew by.

seriously. while reading i had the distinct thought "...wait, that was 143 pages? that took like fifteen minutes"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck its so good loved it, made me feel something deeply emotional. Loved all the time passage panels as well.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
he's brutally good at comics

prince of hell
May 9, 2021
https://twitter.com/nagayama_koharu/status/1416858128683917312

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hace posted:

he's brutally good at comics

Yeah, when Naoki Urasawa sees your work for the first time just grabbing a random recommendation from the guy at the shop and goes "This guy's good.", you know you got something.

Fujimoto's had work getting published since he was 17, and you can really see his growth as a writer and an artist if you compare this to his first one-shots.

Of course, another part in that, one that even cameos in this, is his editor, Shihei Rin. You read interviews, Rin was a huge factor in Fujimoto succeeding, both in providing advice and encouragement (like "maybe stop sending me half finished sketchy one-shots every day. Take some time to actually draw some details") and in going to bat for the weirdo genius he was working with, letting Fujimoto get away with far more than most series in Jump.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Dude is so loving good. I love Chainsaw Man but something more mundane was also fantastic.

Also

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Look at these loving panels

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dude, Rin/Lin/Lyn is so loving good. For anyone that doesn't know (though I'm like 93% sure I'm mostly preaching to the mufuking choir here), Rin is also the editor for this little comic called Spy x Family which is also mega-fun.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
God that was impressive.

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

First thing I wanna say is man, Look Back was super, super good and one of those things that wouldn't leave my head for hours after reading it. It's like the perfect seinen oneshot; super succinct, poignant and deeply sentimental.

The second this that I need to say is check out this powaaaaaa:

https://twitter.com/jennie200806/status/1416759034682564614

Chainsaw man has the best fanart.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I read it. The story had it's touching moments. But dang are those sequence panels good. So much detail as well.

muscles like this! posted:

Look at these loving panels

That second page has such an odd expression, but the body language in that entire sequence is fantastic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

I read it. The story had it's touching moments. But dang are those sequence panels good. So much detail as well.

That second page has such an odd expression, but the body language in that entire sequence is fantastic.

she'd just talked herself into joining a manga contest because she'd learned that the artist she idolized/resented is her #1 fan, i think that expression is pretty appropriate

body says "life is awesome," face says "i hate everything," and both are true in that moment

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
There's so much that'd great about Look Back. Something that particularly hit home was the depiction of being super hard on yourself and feeling discouraged seeing someone succeed much faster than you, but also seeing that person felt very similarly about you as well.

Someone on Twitter (it was in Japanese so I unfortunately can't find it now) also pointed out the contrast with these panels:

All the praise is shown in small panels off to the side, but the criticism is comparatively huge and takes the full width of the page. It's a great way of showing how you can get praised all day and it means nothing compared to the one piece of criticism.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
That one shot is utterly amazing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tanon posted:

That one shot is utterly amazing.

It's already number one for one shots on My Anime List, it's getting a physical release, there's been widespread acclaim from mangaka and writers across Japan...

I'm not sure there's been a standalone one-shot getting this kind of buzz before. And it definitely earned that attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

dogsicle posted:

fujino, kyomoto

the axe attack is also a mashup of the Sagamihara knife attack (2016) and Kyoani arson (2 year anniversary today)

while reading it i couldn't help but think of the kyoani arson

great oneshot, i've been impressed since i started reading firepunch at how fujimoto can effortlessly convey emotions and a character's state of mind (which is often some manner of unhinged)

also the sudden turn into tragedy in a way that's so over the top and instantaneous that it manages to shock me as a reader so much i never read it as cheap melodrama. which reflecting on the plot points of firepunch and chainsaw man is kind of impressive