Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zaphod42 posted:

This thing could seriously kill you just for trying to use it.

Just like a real one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zaphod42 posted:

These clowns decide to build a methanol super-soaker inside a 3d-printed shell. This thing could seriously kill you just for trying to use it.

An elegant weapon for a more civilized age!

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

If they would just be blunt about it's real purpose, turning a burrito into a Fleshlight, they'd get so many more takers.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

wankel13b posted:

If they would just be blunt about it's real purpose, turning a burrito into a Fleshlight, they'd get so many more takers.

"Guac is extra, but the sour cream is free!"

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

wankel13b posted:

:stare:

Wow.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

wankel13b posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/@iwishiwasde...1&is_copy_url=0

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello friends, the Traditional Games Kickstarter thread is currently dunking on this monstrosity: Gamevaults World of Warcraft Edition

It is :siren: $500 USD :siren:
Only available in the US.
Has game pieces that make it an unreadable mess from a table state perspective.
Is apparently officially endorsed by Blizz with marketing info coming soon.
May or may not be a money laundering scheme
Features no physical prototype, just renders, so you know it's legit.

Has an all black version for :siren: $650 USD :siren: which makes it EVEN HARDER to see which pieces are yours

If you add all the poo poo to the board it becomes this unreadable nightmare
https://i.imgur.com/gI8R2PA.mp4

"With the addition of iconic architectural elements some landing spaces are raised as high as 11 inches ultimately obscuring the line of sight of all game pieces. The rules. have. changed."
Promotes loving with your line of sight AS A SELLING POINT

ARGHHHHHHHHH
:allbuttons:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Infinitum posted:

Hello friends, the Traditional Games Kickstarter thread is currently dunking on this monstrosity: Gamevaults World of Warcraft Edition

It is :siren: $500 USD :siren:
ARGHHHHHHHHH
:allbuttons:

The description for this game sounds like it was written by a crazy person.

quote:

There are 2 levels of game play. Level 43 is the initial setup phase and precursor to the impending battle. If the battle has not been lost during this level, the game moves on to its final conflict and the winner will live to see another day.
Level 43: The Initial Play
The Vaulter initiates the skirmish by placing their game pieces in each of the four corner spaces of the playing surface. Only then does the game begin. The Blocker can lay down their first game piece on any open game space, avoiding being jumped by The Vaulter’s game pieces. From this point on, the players alternate turns throughout the remainder of the game.

Level 43 refers to the amount of moves before the actual skirmish begins. While reaching Level 43 during game play, the game can be won or lost by either side before the main skirmish ever begins.

The Skirmish: The Final Play
The Skirmish begins only after all of The Blocker’s 20 game pieces have been placed on an open space, thus ending Level 43. At this point the Blocker can begin to move their game pieces to an adjacent and open space in an attempt to surround The Vaulter’s pieces. Depending on the player's strategy, each skirmish can take thirty minutes, three hours, or three days. It’s up to you.

I just love the line "There are 2 levels of game play. Level 43 is...". Like, what?? At first I thought this would be some over-complicated game.

But this page does a much better job of describing how this game would play:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagh-Chal

Note that the GameVaults page does not directly state it's based on the old Nepalese game Bagh-Chal, just that it's based on a centuries-old strategy game.

As a final note, I like this line in the description of this ridiculous GameVaults WoW Edition: "Rather than mold a game piece to be cost effective and tooling efficient, our designers have done the opposite." We don't want to be cost-effective or efficient here, nothing but wasteful complexity!!!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

HJE-Cobra posted:

Note that the GameVaults page does not directly state it's based on the old Nepalese game Bagh-Chal, just that it's based on a centuries-old strategy game.

Someone in the other thread said they asked and were told the vague answer of "a game from Nepal", so even when answering they won't outright admit it's Bagh-Chal for some reason.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
' In addition to being visually stunning, these deep black tones raise the complexity of the game. When there is no differentiation between the pieces and the playing surface the gameplay difficulty is amplified significantly.'

in what loving world is this a selling point

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They're not wrong.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

HJE-Cobra posted:

As a final note, I like this line in the description of this ridiculous GameVaults WoW Edition: "Rather than mold a game piece to be cost effective and tooling efficient, our designers have done the opposite." We don't want to be cost-effective or efficient here, nothing but wasteful complexity!!!

We're talking about boardgamers, so this should sell like hotcakes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

nonathlon posted:

We're talking about boardgamers, so this should sell like hotcakes.

imho this is targeted at WoW collectors, whether it can be played is irrelevant

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HJE-Cobra posted:

The description for this game sounds like it was written by a crazy person.

I just love the line "There are 2 levels of game play. Level 43 is...". Like, what?? At first I thought this would be some over-complicated game.

So.... its an extremely expensive game of warcraft checkers?

For that cost I was expecting something closer to warhammer 40k.

Loomer posted:

' In addition to being visually stunning, these deep black tones raise the complexity of the game. When there is no differentiation between the pieces and the playing surface the gameplay difficulty is amplified significantly.'

in what loving world is this a selling point

Yeah, and if you actually care about it aren't you going to paint the minis so they look way better? In which case why on earth would you spend $150 extra just to have the base plastic be a different color which you couldn't even see after painting?!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Inspired by that I'm going to Kickstart Advanced Checkers, with all black pieces, on an all-black board.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you had made that in 2005, you could have made bank selling Ninja Checkers at Spencer's.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zaphod42 posted:

So.... its an extremely expensive game of warcraft checkers?

For that cost I was expecting something closer to warhammer 40k.

Yeah, and if you actually care about it aren't you going to paint the minis so they look way better? In which case why on earth would you spend $150 extra just to have the base plastic be a different color which you couldn't even see after painting?!

It's not even black plastic. The kickstarter claims the pieces are "painted in rich and detailed (?) black tones"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Honestly they're slacking they should go for MAXIMUM CHALLENGE by going all vantablack

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Remember the Romphim Kickstarter?

Yes these loving things. I looked them up to make fun of to a friend and turns out it's dead for over a year now, which isn't particularly surprising
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/juliareinstein/romphim-male-romper-closing-out-of-business

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Remember the Romphim Kickstarter?

Yes these loving things. I looked them up to make fun of to a friend and turns out it's dead for over a year now, which isn't particularly surprising
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/juliareinstein/romphim-male-romper-closing-out-of-business

It's genius because anyone who wants to complain about them running off with the money has to admit that they actually wanted to wear one of those

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Knormal posted:

Inspired by that I'm going to Kickstart Advanced Checkers, with all black pieces, on an all-black board.

Make it even cheaper cost wise by just buying normal Checkers games and including a branded eye mask.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Love the type of clothes that makes it impossible to take a poo poo without getting completely naked.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Loomer posted:

Honestly they're slacking they should go for MAXIMUM CHALLENGE by going all vantablack

Apperently it's kinda brittle. For handleable stuff you need to seal it, which makes the finished product somewhat more reflective.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Paladinus posted:

Love the type of clothes that makes it impossible to take a poo poo without getting completely naked.

Well, technically..........

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Making jorts look both more fashionable and more practical!

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Turning the corner into the men's room, you see me standing at the urinal, Romphim around my ankles. "You having a good night?" I say, making eye contact. Only now do you realize I'm making GBS threads.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BattleMaster posted:

It's genius because anyone who wants to complain about them running off with the money has to admit that they actually wanted to wear one of those

The way the article's written it sounds like they actually did ship the initial batch(es) and tried to keep going only to realize that no, there's no longer term model for their dudebro onesies.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
two fun things I noticed about lovely wow checkers:

they do an illegal move at 2:35 in the official instructions video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVxkZEXTD3I

also realized that the movement indicators are UNDER the pieces, so you have to lift them up to see where they can go. good lord

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

That game looks really claustrophobic and not fun.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you want an absolute word salad of a KS
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/videogamefbs/project-video-game

He has all the maps, and all the guns, and all the costumes, and all the things.

The max pledge tier is something else :allears:

quote:

Pledge CHF 8,688 or more About AU$ 12,771
ALIBABA BOX

Each higher pledge tier includes all lower pledges

City or map in the game With your Name
- Design a map and an entire city in your name. ( Map or city like in the my video) , All you have to do is choose any city in the world, and I will design it, and I will name the map with your personal name.

Example: I chose New York City, I will design it for you, and I will put the name of the map in the name of (David
John Map) just an example
It will be included among the game's official maps, and millions of players will enter it
A large monument will be placed inside the map or the city and it will be written inside it, that this city was designed as a gift for (David John), for example
+
-You will be Admin in the observer's team
+
-All Video Game store content will be free forever. And new ones every season
+
-Unique ID, Choose your identification (id)
+
- You get to design your character within the game, and we will put your character among the main characters in the game.
+
-Fame box

"Yes, please rename NYC to Richard Head"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

premium Assault weapons: annual rent from $100-$200.Now there are 5 Assault Guns premium weapons ,in my videoGame Store .

So his unfinished kickstarter game already has a microtransactions store, and his business model is to sell ANNUAL gun subscriptions?

(and it costs $100+ for a digital gun that only lasts one year lmao)

:lol:

Not a bad baby's-first-videogame project following a tutorial, but his ideas of monetizing this have nothing to do with reality.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Let's check back in on Gamevaults

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamevaults/gamevaults-world-of-warcraft-edition

Not looking good

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

He has all the maps, and all the guns, and all the costumes, and all the things.
It's like the absolute definition of generic pay-to-win shooter, and he keeps going on about being available in over 200 countries, when apparently right now there are only 195 countries in the world today.

I always love to check in on the comments too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If that is his thought on game design then he is probably just taking a tutorial game and throwing in some extra purchased/downloaded assets. bing bong so easy

Which was my guess from how nothing he showed off had any of the same style to it, but lol at him coming out and saying it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"I do not have to justify to you" he says to people giving him money. He should get a job working on Star Citizen with that attiude.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Knormal posted:

It's like the absolute definition of generic pay-to-win shooter, and he keeps going on about being available in over 200 countries, when apparently right now there are only 195 countries in the world today.

I always love to check in on the comments too.

This is 100% a person who's going into their chosen game engine's marketplace and just grabbing a bunch of (free) stuff that they think they can stick together and it'll just work like Voltron.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

The max pledge tier is something else :allears:

"Yes, please rename NYC to Richard Head"

I was about to say how adorable it is that a child wants to create their dream video game until I noticed that the creator's profile photo shows an adult, and his "design" includes a poo poo ton of predatory microtransactions.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
Oh dear....

Accounts deleted now too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Didn't even announce if for the Steam Deck, shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

ponzicar posted:

I was about to say how adorable it is that a child wants to create their dream video game until I noticed that the creator's profile photo shows an adult, and his "design" includes a poo poo ton of predatory microtransactions.

Their profile pic is a model photo they probably stole from aliexpress.

People in the comments were contacting the studio that made the assets they were using and I guess they hit eject on their scam(?)