Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mantis42 posted:

There's been at least one Godzilla manga but idk if it's good or ever been translated. The art looks nice at least.

There've been a few, but I think the only one that ever got an official translation/adaptation was a manga version of Godzilla 1984 that eventually got released by Dark Horse. I think there are also some fan translations for the manga series that semi-tracked (or at least was released around the same time as) the 90s movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finished Singular Point. Overall I really liked it! I’ll put down my non scrambled thoughts once I have a little more time to process it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All right where the gently caress are the Pelops II stickers for Messages.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm wondering the same thing. I also want to get an Ootaki Factory embroidered patch.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ll put down my non scrambled thoughts once I have a little more time to process it.

Very fitting :v:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Just revisiting some of the collected Dark Horse stuff and it sort of holds up. The art is decent, and there are some cool ideas. I like the story where some alien hunters try to kill Godzilla for sport and get more then they bargained for. It is pretty dumb that the G-Force team is just the Fantastic Four but lamer, in fact everything with G-Force is kind of bad, but the Godzilla stuff is cool.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Finished SP, it rules, amazing work. Bright and colorful and thrilling and also loaded with philosophy-of-science discussion. It's another interesting repositioning of the themes behind Godzilla, not specifically nuclear this time but technology as a destructive force even as it promises the world- can science save the world from itself and all that. And in the midst of this they still managed to pack in all sorts of nods for the fans! All sorts of monster cameos and such. The American '98 Godzilla as a plush toy was my favorite.

Also they did so right by Jet Jaguar. I'd call it his redemption but dammit he was always good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JJ was never cool.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

JJ was never cool.

There is a difference between cool and good and Jet Jaguar is the latter.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Still isn't exactly cool but the new concept is an appealing character and the evolving design (literal evolution, going from lanky ape-like up through tool use and then its final appearance plus HEY IT'S EVOLUTIONARY ALGORITHMS while learning to move on its own) was downright clever.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SP was truly great, I'll happily watch a second season.

I thought there was a lot of Evangelion DNA in this show: high-concept philosophy of science, mysterious underground complexes, scientific organizations using mythology in their branding, and an impending event that will remake the universe.

Fortunately not so much on the abused children parts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
ehh

Evangelion deploys deliberately incomplete / meaningless technobabble to heighten your feeling of confusion and help put you in the protagonist's shoes, SP is infatuated with real-world scientific, cryptographic, etc. concepts and uses them to "justify" the series' conceits in a way that grinds the show to a halt every time it starts talking about them.

not that the concepts aren't cool, it just doesn't give enough thought to how content and form relate and stumbles as a result

it's like Evangelion as reimagined by someone who maintains the Eva wiki and is obsessed with the distinct layers of canon and how they provide definitive, concrete answers

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's like Evangelion if all the Christian symbolism was obsessively researched, explained in exhaustive detail and central to the plot

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Asterite34 posted:

It's like Evangelion if all the Christian symbolism was obsessively researched, explained in exhaustive detail and central to the plot

i have minor quibbles with this but sure, close enough

(Christianity is significant in Evangelion as a kind of shorthand for "transcendent religion" and the show's skepticism towards such; the particulars of Christian theology, or for that matter Jewish mysticism since there's way more of that than there is Christianity, not so much)

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i have minor quibbles with this but sure, close enough

(Christianity is significant in Evangelion as a kind of shorthand for "transcendent religion" and the show's skepticism towards such; the particulars of Christian theology, or for that matter Jewish mysticism since there's way more of that than there is Christianity, not so much)

It's funny how people always criticize Eva for basically just doing with Christianity what western media does with literally every non-Christian religion.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Woop!

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
*pounding fists on table*
LINK! LINK! LINK!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Seems like they are backordered.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10787924

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10787925

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10787920

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 19, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Naoki Urasawa anthology Sneeze has a pretty good kaiju story in it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/collider/status/1418618061087723522?s=21

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

I, too, look forward to having no chance buying either tomorrow.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah those are dope but I don’t need the stress of trying against bots haha

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I'm only a very occasional toy collector in the first place, but I really can't say that I understand the appeal of Glow in the Dark figures.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah those are dope but I don’t need the stress of trying against bots haha

I do understand this sentiment from occasional efforts at buying from Mondo poster drops though :argh:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fun time painting Ultima

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I love that Godzilla but lol there are only 150 of them. No chance in hell of getting one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Those Jet Jaguar / Ootaki Factory embroidered patches are in stock on Amazon Japan's site now

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B095NW8X45/ref=pe_2436762_429639112_em_1p_3_ti

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Godzilla-S...095NT235M&psc=1

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Fun time painting Ultima

This is really cool

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dangerous Person posted:

This is really cool

Thank you! Check my IG @kaiju_sommelier for more Sofubi paints

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Oh that's nice

I made my kiddo a Godzilla blanket using that Shimizu artwork for Christmas (couldn't find any official ones)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy 50th Anniversary, Hedorah :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNvbIDSsAKU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla figure sold out in a literal second :lol:

(Managed to snag a Hedorah!)

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Godzilla figure sold out in a literal second :lol:

(Managed to snag a Hedorah!)

Same! I lucked out and grabbed a Hedorah too. Mondo sells out terrifyingly fast.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They’re doing a really cool linocut-deco Godzilla statue at some point in the future and I just know it’s going to be a futile effort to try and snag one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was tempted to grab the poster too but I’ll just make a little stand for the criterion collection since it’s the same art. The one statue I recall wanted to grab and missed out on was the Nuclear Godzilla-Mothra from KotM. It looked insane and I don’t even want to see how much it’s going for nowadays considering it was two thousand dollars lmao.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 24, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I managed to get the Godzilla in my cart but by time the page loaded, it was dead. I don't even want to look at ebay to see how many of the 150 are already on there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Heads-up that Godzilla vs. Kong returns to HBO Max in mid-August.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Woohoo I managed to snag one of those new Hedorah

t-shirts

https://twitter.com/TOHO_GODZILLA/status/1418983114848804868?s=20

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm sure other people are watching Singular Point. It's great!

I'm late to the party, but holy moly what a terrific show!

Anyone with enough interest in kaiju to follow this thread owes it to themselves to watch it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Woohoo I managed to snag one of those new Hedorah

t-shirts

https://twitter.com/TOHO_GODZILLA/status/1418983114848804868?s=20

There are also Ootaki Factory shirts available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Is there an official Ootaki Factory mug anywhere?

I saw some steel cups that are out of stock, but I'd rather have something ceramic for hot drinks.