Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

one thing in impact i'm low key a bigger fan of is that i like "knockouts division" more than "women's division". it always struck me as more inclusive of, say, non-binary performers. though i don't think they've ever had any so maybe that's a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That is so so so far from the original intentions of naming it the TNA Knockouts division.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

That is so so so far from the original intentions of naming it the TNA Knockouts division.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Like I'm not arguing against it because I love it and Impact really does have a great women's division now and I'm always for inclusivity but lmao

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Procrastinator posted:

one thing in impact i'm low key a bigger fan of is that i like "knockouts division" more than "women's division". it always struck me as more inclusive of, say, non-binary performers. though i don't think they've ever had any so maybe that's a moot point.

I like that idea as well, especially since there's no "men's" title anywhere, but I also don't like that they named the division after slang for hot chicks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

karmicknight posted:

We had two batmans from loot creates, seventy-five batman villains, five set of high powered sonic characters, a salt shaker half full of amiibo cards, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored pokemon, links,,marios, luigis... and also a goku, a vegta, a , a gohan and two dozen avengers.

Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious funko collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

:golfclap: this is most excellent posting

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
and now I see that I didn't put in piccolo.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Procrastinator posted:

Got me on this one

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember when TNA first started, on their website they had the wrestlers all listed under "Superstars" and WWE sent them a cease and desist, saying they only they could use the term "Superstars" to describe their wrestlers.

Knockouts is better than Divas though.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm glad the wwf defended their lovely loving name for wrestlers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Though to be fair, if anyone actually cared about the accuracy of the division name, Sonny Kiss could absolutely rock a "Divas division".

Has any lucha promotion ever had a belt/division specifically set aside for exoticos?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

smarxist posted:

oh poo poo, this card slaps

glad to get another look at Mantell

also Kling Kling vs THUN-DER!!! RO-SA!!!!

EDIT:
lol there are two kindsa Ryan Mantell in this world i s'pose; hoss wrestler and saxophone ensemble chamber musician

I dont know anything about the guy but Moonshine Mantell is a great name

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
QT Marshall on the Major Wrestling Figure Podcast was very funny. It's mostly about what an obsessive kid he was making custom action figures but he let's slip a few stories. The night of the concussion protocol meeting at All Out he asks Cody if he should attend and Cody responds "no, you aren't a wrestler." He tells this story right after saying he figured he could go on this show and not get in any trouble for saying too much.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

There has been a big lack of Serena Deeb lately

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

magiccarpet posted:

There has been a big lack of Serena Deeb lately

She's on (I think) Elevation this week

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thought this was interesting from today's WO update

quote:

Backroad Entertainment is working on a pro wrestling show which they describe as a cross between Last Chance U and Ultimate Fighter. They are looking for independent wrestlers with a few years experience but have had a rough go with getting noticed and making it. They are also looking for people with interesting family histories or with personal issues they are trying to overcome. The show includes being picked for the cast and being trained by Dustin Rhodes in August in Austin, TX.  For those interested, this is the application to fill out.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

y'all are cynical as gently caress, jesus

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it’s not cynical to point out what knockouts division meant when they introduced it lol

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Procrastinator posted:

I think it's more just the long memories. TNA did themselves no favors and your interpretation of the name reflects a more nuanced view from a company who's name was designed as a sex joke with the Knockouts division being deep the Russo era and treated as such.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

its cynical to imply I'm not being sincere in the thing I said. I think using a name other than "women" is a good idea. clearly this specific company has baggage with it, but that's unrelated to my feelings on it as a concept.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Procrastinator posted:

They're literally citing the actual reasons the name exists... did you not become aware of TNA until last year?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
yeah they could have called their women something really embarrassing like Divas

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Procrastinator posted:

its cynical to imply I'm not being sincere in the thing I said. I think using a name other than "women" is a good idea. clearly this specific company has baggage with it, but that's unrelated to my feelings on it as a concept.

No one said you weren't sincere or implied you weren't. Just possibly uniformed about the history of the name. I don't think anyone even disagrees with your premise, just this specific name.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

and yes I am well aware of the history. I think it's fun to talk about how things might be better even though the way were done previously was not good.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

multiple impact performers have already expressed that they've "taken it back" re: the knockouts name. stew in your cynicism folks

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
knockouts is too violent a name

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
hook

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MotU posted:

knockouts is too violent a name

Your saying you WANT these women to get concussions?

I do, and I'm tired of pretending I don't.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Majinfoose posted:

I had non-fan friends with me at the show, and one is a huge Selena fan so when Rosa came out in that outfit, my friend flipped.

we were walking to our seats as her music hit, it was so badass.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Evan Peters, the Human Suplex Machine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I personally like the name Knockouts because it is inclusive. Rather than be a gendered title it is a title for all sexy people, like Hook.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I like the Knockouts name because it evokes Takako Inoue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGooE_9_NqA

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

god i hope this dude ends up being great at wrestling because he's already got so much down already

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It is actually a division for unconscious people.

You win the belt by sleeping the best.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I personally like the name Knockouts because it is inclusive. Rather than be a gendered title it is a title for all sexy people, like Hook.

The obvious solution is to use a name that confers shoot-style legitimacy while subtly referencing the most visually arresting personality in wrestling. The Hooker Division

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

flashy_mcflash posted:

The obvious solution is to use a name that confers shoot-style legitimacy while subtly referencing the most visually arresting personality in wrestling. The Hooker Division

well as long as they stay away from the Chancellorsville arena

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
If you want to sexualize the women, you could call it the TNA Divison

oh wait

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Surprised nobody took "Bombshells".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DC Comics did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
aew could name their women’s division after another DC comic, The Invisibles. a little joke for the comics readers out there