Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The cheapest combo unit that I know of that's worth a drat is the Hammer, and that's pretty spendy.

Speaking of jointers, there's a guy near me selling a Powermatic 60 8" jointer with a shelix head, he's asking $1700. I threw a price of $1300 ($800 for machine, $500 for shelix) at him via text and he said he'd taken it. Sound reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NomNomNom posted:

The cheapest combo unit that I know of that's worth a drat is the Hammer, and that's pretty spendy.

Speaking of jointers, there's a guy near me selling a Powermatic 60 8" jointer with a shelix head, he's asking $1700. I threw a price of $1300 ($800 for machine, $500 for shelix) at him via text and he said he'd taken it. Sound reasonable?

If you think it's worth it, why ask?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Because I always get cold feet dealing with Craigslist weirdos and I need affirmation

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NomNomNom posted:

Because I always get cold feet dealing with Craigslist weirdos and I need affirmation

I think if nothing's hinky, and you need a good jointer it's an okay deal, nothing to do a major fistpump over. Powermatic have been cruising on brand name for a few decades now for added $5-800 on that alone. Just my imho jimho. Tiny fistpump would be appropriate.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

isn't the shelix $400 new? two years ago I'd have said you paid about twice as much as you shoulda but it's not two years ago

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think if nothing's hinky, and you need a good jointer it's an okay deal, nothing to do a major fistpump over. Powermatic have been cruising on brand name for a few decades now for added $5-800 on that alone. Just my imho jimho. Tiny fistpump would be appropriate.

so by this math a base used Powermatic 60 is worth $0? Harsh

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 16, 2021

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
The base powermatic 60 is ~2.2k new, so a conservative 1.4k new, 800 used seems like a good deal to me.

Leika
Jul 15, 2021

Is there a dedicated woodturning thread? And if not, are there any turners in here?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i've got a lathe but I don't know what to fuckin do with it does that count

like I guess one of these days I'll set up an indexer on it so I can cut gears, but there's only so many pens and peppermills one man needs

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I've made a couple bowls but also am very much a novice.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I pretty much only use mine for making knobs for furniture.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leika posted:

Is there a dedicated woodturning thread? And if not, are there any turners in here?

I do a lot of spindle turning but have never turned a bowl ever and done very little face grain turning. There are some bowl turners here too and I would love to learn more about it.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Well it seems the reason that insane deal on a planer and shelix head was available still is because the guy is not responding - radio silence for over 24 hours after emailing him. But I found a guy on lumberjocks 45 minutes away who’s moving and selling a bunch of stuff and sold me the 735 with feed plates, stand, and extra blades for $500 so I think that’s still pretty solid - would have been $800 or so after tax? I signed up for an account and played up the hey we are fellow forum members angle and he seemed happy it’d be going to a fellow traveler and not a rando on Craigslist so that might have saved me a few bucks.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I do a lot of spindle turning but have never turned a bowl ever and done very little face grain turning. There are some bowl turners here too and I would love to learn more about it.

Bowl turning is dope. I haven't done much spindle turning; it seems like there's a wealth of info out there on bowl turning but not as much as spindle turning.

For bowl turning all you really need to get started is a face plate and a bowl gouge. I've really enjoyed the content from Turn A Wood Bowl (youtube and website). Ken has some good written articles but his videos are very instructive. I went from never turning on a lathe to a few pieces I'm proud of in 5 or 6 attempts. The joy of bowl turning especially is that the wood (should) be free; I put out a notice on Next Door and am rolling in people's downed trees.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

NomNomNom posted:

Bowl turning is dope. I haven't done much spindle turning; it seems like there's a wealth of info out there on bowl turning but not as much as spindle turning.

For bowl turning all you really need to get started is a face plate and a bowl gouge. I've really enjoyed the content from Turn A Wood Bowl (youtube and website). Ken has some good written articles but his videos are very instructive. I went from never turning on a lathe to a few pieces I'm proud of in 5 or 6 attempts. The joy of bowl turning especially is that the wood (should) be free; I put out a notice on Next Door and am rolling in people's downed trees.

If you ever run out, take a look at ChipDrop. Arborists will just drop off an entire trunk of tree for you that they couldn't put through their chipper.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If you're in the northeast drive down roads through the woods after a winter storm. Usually you can find big chainsaw rounds of downed trees near power lines etc.

I see a ton of it every winter here in RI. Good stuff for bowl blanks I guess? Haven't gotten into turning yet but my plan is to grab some of these when I do.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Once you start looking for it wood for turning is everywhere. A chainsaw should probably be considered mandatory, as is a bandsaw. You could definitely get by with a sledge, some splitting wedges, and a hatchet if you're on a tight budget, it'll just be slower and a better workout.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Danhenge posted:

Have you and/or common shore ever replaced the blades? The cheap default blades in those budget saws are probably never going to give a nice cut.
Yeah I did but the problem wasn't just with the blade. The fence is complete poo poo. Hard to adjust, not very precise, cheap snap-on mechanism. It's just an overall pain to use.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

with the exception of Dewalts every contractor table saw I've handled had a pretty heinous fence, too, if you can't count on that being square that's like 2/3 of the utility of a table saw gone

I use my table saw for fuckin everything but u gotta go big or go home
Yup, this is exactly the problem with my Kobalt table saw. It's very difficult to get it to cut square. And I don't know what's up with the anti-kickback pawl assembly but it keeps on malfunctioning and wood keeps getting stuck in it, preventing me from safely pushing my cuts through. So it isn't just getting a good cut- this thing is getting plain dangerous to use.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 10, 2024

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

That Works posted:

If you're in the northeast drive down roads through the woods after a winter storm. Usually you can find big chainsaw rounds of downed trees near power lines etc.

Are those cool to take? I always figured that the power company had a sideline to sell them for mulching or something.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sono posted:

Are those cool to take? I always figured that the power company had a sideline to sell them for mulching or something.

Where I live, the power company doesn't give a poo poo about it. They leave it for the property owner to deal with. Their job is to clear the line, that's it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sono posted:

My experience was same as the poster above. They leave them laying around for a while. Even if it wasn't legit to take them the volume is high enough I don't feel bad about grabbing a couple one winter.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I just spent way too much money on a table saw. What should I use to prevent the cast iron top from rusting in my (dry) basement shop?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Executive posted:

I just spent way too much money on a table saw. What should I use to prevent the cast iron top from rusting in my (dry) basement shop?

A light coating of oil should do fine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr Executive posted:

Oil down, wipe dry then a couple coats of paste wax imo

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
what type of oil are we talking here?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Executive posted:

Any. It doesn't really matter.

Its purpose is to be an inert vapor barrier.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr Executive posted:

I use 30wt motor oil but mineral oil is prob fine. Not vegetable or something.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
cool, thanks

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I like to use furniture paste wax on all of my cast iron

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NomNomNom posted:

Bet your cornbread tastes funny.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Hmm I suppose bacon grease would work too

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Picked up some Italian mid-century rush chairs and the rush is in great shape for its age, but I think could use some TLC with a nice clean since I can smell old cigarettes on my skin after prolonged contact. I know smoke is the worst and it's not noticeable.

For cleaning I read denatured alcohol with a cloth and tooth brush to clean, wipe off excess and air dry on a sunny day? It's definitely paper rush and I can't tell if it ever had any shellac or varnish.

The wood glue has also worn away over time on a few joints so they're slightly wobbly but there seems to be no way to get into the joint without taking them apart which is impossible without losing the rush. :(

And of course can't talk about them without sharing some chair love

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
You might be able to get some thin epoxy in a syringe into those joints. Those chairs are dope and totally worth saving.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I made some cabinet drawers. First one was cedar because that's what I had. Bought a piece of rainbow-ish poplar for the second one. Turned out pretty nice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Those are some good-looking dovetails, nicely done! How is the bottom secured?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Bought a 1 1/2" flush trim bit to flush the new top I made to the existing base top.

Did not think things through and move the bench outside first.

Shop floor is now covered in fir shreds that look for all the world like shredded Parmesan cheese.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks!

So I made this grooving plane specifically for planing out the 1/4" wide groove for drawer bottoms, cabinet door panels, etc. In the cedar drawer, I got it all glued up and cleaned and sanded and... realized I forgot to plane out those grooves. So it's got drawer slips, kinda. 1/4" x 1/4" pieces glued to the inside along the bottoms, the drawer bottom is just resting on them and kinda half-assedly stapled in. The popular one I actually did right with 1/4" grooves that the bottom fits into and all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's a good-looking grooving plane! Glad you got to use it for one of the drawers :v: I'm gonna go ahead and embed it because Imgur is doing something weird when I try to follow the link.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NomNomNom posted:

Yeah, practically any wax. The problem with any oil residue is that table saws typically cut wood, and wood absorbs oil. My son in law read about a guy who sanded his table saw top like furniture going to a super fine grit which he claimed did some voodoo like closed its little iron pores, that kept it from rusting. I just sort of nodded.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Apparently a purring strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sono posted:

how much do you think mulch is worth? Deadfall logs are garbage and anything anyone but an actual lumbermill can do with them only partially offsets the cost of removing them; if you're habitually dragging them off peoples' lawns and poo poo without asking you might occasionally run into some psycho mad you're stealing their garbage but most of the time if I let the work crew know I wanna take them off their hands for free they'll set them aside and leave them in 6' lengths for resawing.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Picked up some Italian mid-century rush chairs and the rush is in great shape for its age, but I think could use some TLC with a nice clean since I can smell old cigarettes on my skin after prolonged contact. I know smoke is the worst and it's not noticeable.

For cleaning I read denatured alcohol with a cloth and tooth brush to clean, wipe off excess and air dry on a sunny day? It's definitely paper rush and I can't tell if it ever had any shellac or varnish.

The wood glue has also worn away over time on a few joints so they're slightly wobbly but there seems to be no way to get into the joint without taking them apart which is impossible without losing the rush. :(

And of course can't talk about them without sharing some chair love

seconding syringes, they're a lifesaver for any kind of restoration project. If it's really tight space or you're trying to relaminate veneer or something, superglue can work in medical syringes too

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 19, 2021