Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I want to read the thesis before I actually write a rebuttal (he would probably dm it to me if I asked for, poo poo), but like, conceptually it's not a bad idea so much as it missed the point of using licensed tracks. (showcasing cultural cachet/giving the viewer a way to connect with the wrestler in a way that non-licensed music just cannot) Like, there is a reason that walk-up music in other major sports is licensed tracks, and I want to see if that runs counter to the argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If you mix a song into a wrestling theme it's totally fine, CHIKARA had some great entrance themes back in the day and Nic Gage coming out to Metallica rules

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

karmicknight posted:

I want to read the thesis before I actually write a rebuttal (he would probably dm it to me if I asked for, poo poo), but like, conceptually it's not a bad idea so much as it missed the point of using licensed tracks. (showcasing cultural cachet/giving the viewer a way to connect with the wrestler in a way that non-licensed music just cannot) Like, there is a reason that walk-up music in other major sports is licensed tracks, and I want to see if that runs counter to the argument.

Yeah but I think that agrees with his point, that overall custom music is better. Everyone would suffer with licensed music. You need a majority custom to make the licensed pop. But he also seems to miss that because he's arguing like there should be no licensed music.

He just wanted to tell Bix about his thesis didn't he?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Pretty much every indie has used unlicensed music for the whole roster and it's been fine, and in many cases better. Sandman and New Jack in ECW, for example.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I mean it loving worked because I want to read this loving thesis.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Pretty much every indie has used unlicensed music for the whole roster and it's been fine, and in many cases better. Sandman and New Jack in ECW, for example.

But is it optimal? This is why we need smart men in big towers

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

That's not what the argument is about, it's between custom music or production music vs. "licensed music" as in, music that would require a license to avoid a lawsuit.

wild west poo poo isn't really a part of it, but again, in your examples it does make it better to use the licensed tracks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

karmicknight posted:

I mean it loving worked because I want to read this loving thesis.

if you do get the thesis i would also want to read it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

karmicknight posted:

That's not what the argument is about, it's between custom music or production music vs. "licensed music" as in, music that would require a license to avoid a lawsuit.

wild west poo poo isn't really a part of it, but again, in your examples it does make it better to use the licensed tracks.

What I'm getting at is that if ECW or other indies were mainstream enough or had the musical budgets to license all of what they actually used, I think most fans would prefer they kept it instead of finding a music production guy.

With the latter, you tend to still get stuff like WCW soundalike themes, like Raven's Come As You Are, DDP's Smells Like Teen Spirit, and Jericho's Evenflow knockoffs. Even with the licensed music, AEW still does it to a degree, like Varsity Blondes with their Totally Not Welcome to the Jungle theme, and Matt Hardy's What if Korn Covered the WWE Hardys Theme.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

i think the dynamite theme is a POD - boom ripoff dont @ me

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a lot of real music happens to have all the necessary "Dissertation Hit Points Of A Dumb Boy" that a wrestling theme could ever want, because there are millions of hours of it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Had to dig deeper on this.

https://twitter.com/marcgallagher96/status/1416910477138042884

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was expecting too much of that guy, that he was talking about emphatic moments or themes inside of a piece of music that make it better for an entrance. but he outed himself as talking about cheapness and character and that's just whiny nerd stuff

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
oh gently caress, this does go deeper.

Cavauro posted:

a lot of real music happens to have all the necessary "Dissertation Hit Points Of A Dumb Boy" that a wrestling theme could ever want, because there are millions of hours of it

:emptyquote:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This is the problem with liberal arts.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Uh, I don't know about this guy, but if Sandman was anywhere near my house I'd sleep with one eye open. Not trying to get Singapore caned in my own bed.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

how can he be right when the greatest wrestling entrance song is licensed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53yj4hU56NA

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

But Kaze Ni Nare is custom

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Smoking Crow posted:

Goddamn I miss Magnum. :smith:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Smoking Crow posted:

This is a lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2nTJ_68xjw

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

its not confidence its all ego

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0QT_teLcNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zhi0gSWnX8

tough call

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://mobile.twitter.com/marcgallagher96/status/1416911918078513153

I think they've confused "licensed songs are bad" with "Unkle Kracker is bad"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I know you hate X-Factor, but you don't gotta look at me like that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i've read the thesis. it was a list of songs that are good and a list of songs that are bad

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MRT I don't know how you have the mental stamina to battle these dipshits every day but I salute you for doing so

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
In a roundabout way this discussion also brings up a point about licensed songs that are better as wrestling themes than as their original purpose as generic radio singles. Like I recognize that Metalingus is an awesome wrestling entrance theme for Edge, but I don't think I'd ever listen to Alter Bridge on purpose.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
CM Punk's best theme wasn't original, it of course being "Miseria Cantare" by AFI.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's a bit weird coz I think it matters massively what the music is. If it's just WCW style knock-offs of popular music then clearly the original licensed song would be better. If it's Dragon Gate tunes where care is put into the themes, sure. But not many wrestling companies have their own record label.

Dude also seems to undersell that a licensed theme song can also be thematically perfect and get the recognition pop. Enter Sandman might not fight The Sandman lyrically but musically it's perfect. TBH ECW were kind of masters of those stuff from Shane Douglas's Perfect Strangers to New Jack with Natural Born Killaz.

Honestly, keep all your in-house stuff when you give me Perfect Strangers or Danielson using Final Countdown. Neither are songs I've any desire to listen to in my day-to-day music listening but they are perfect wrestling themes.

On the other hand, The Sandman using Billy Joel's Big Shot (iirc during his feud with Tommy Cairo, when he first started being seconded by Woman) didn't fit at all.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 19, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

every single licensed theme is better than every single original theme and even the good original themes you're thinking of right now would be improved by being replaced by a licensed theme

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Alaois posted:

every single licensed theme is better than every single original theme and even the good original themes you're thinking of right now would be improved by being replaced by a licensed theme

wcw four horsemen theme makes this an absurd statement

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

wcw four horsemen theme makes this an absurd statement

there's like at least 5 different carlos santana songs alone that you could replace that theme with and it would be better

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alaois posted:

Counterpoint: Gangrel's theme

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Counterpoint: Gangrel's theme

Counter counterpoint: What if he came out to Bela Lugosi is Dead by Bauhaus instead?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Counter counterpoint: What if he came out to Bela Lugosi is Dead by Bauhaus instead?

You spelled Monster Mash wrong

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Alaois posted:

there's like at least 5 different carlos santana songs alone that you could replace that theme with and it would be better

4 horseman solo is way better than any Santana solo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Every theme would be by Stuck Mojo in my world.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

4 horseman solo is way better than any Santana solo

big time

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RealFoxy posted:

If you mix a song into a wrestling theme it's totally fine, CHIKARA had some great entrance themes back in the day and Nic Gage coming out to Metallica rules

I was always a fan of that (if we're being honest amateur) mix of War Machine Taz started using after he stopped using the song itself.

That said, and to focus on ECW itself, so many of the wrestlers just aren't who they are without Enter Sandman, Walk, Man in the Box, even Mikey and Loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/thunderrosa22/status/1416754316862496776

So, Thunder Rosa's new entrance gear is totally loving awesome, but...

Literally anything but the actual Aztec folklore it's based on, huh guys? :psyduck: