Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Did the idea of Red Hood come before or after the author played Resident Evil Village?

Full game for Village came out in May 2021, demoes came out in January. Meanwhile, Red Hood's first chapter was released as a one-shot in October 2020, in an issue of Jump with Chainsaw Man on the cover and the legendary hamburger chapter inside.

So, yeah. Before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hP0uvOghnI&t=17

Live footage of the Shonen Jump editorial staff trying to cancel Red Hood

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

andy is the worst protag in jump right now

Yep. On every page everybody should be asking, why is he here?

While he has improved I still strongly dislike him. Fuuko currently has her turn to improve instead of just being a vague power up.

Undead Unluck has the problem (for me at least) that literally everyone but the leads are more interesting. From the antagonists like Rip to the good guys like Luiz or Shen and Mui. There's a lot of fun and interesting characters but Fuuko barely ranks and Andy is terrible.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hP0uvOghnI&t=17

Live footage of the Shonen Jump editorial staff trying to cancel Red Hood

They'd have to bring Denji back if they wanted to get that job done.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Edne's Zero is a mixed bag, but the villian group of the current arc having a group chat gave me a good laugh

Then you have Rebecca being hypnotized to act like a dog, change into a bunny suit, and be forced into the universe's most dangerous game of strip poker.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That basically describes a Mashima series in general: fun bits here and there but also peppered with moments of uncomfortable horniness.

Speaking of which, is he the one writing and/or drawing the current Fairy Tail sequel 100 Years Quest or is that primarily being handled by someone else?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 15, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Larryb posted:

That basically describes a Mashima series in general: fun bits here and there but also peppered with moments of uncomfortable horniness.

Speaking of which, is he the one writing and/or drawing the current Fairy Tail sequel 100 Years Quest or is that primarily being handled by someone else?
I wanna say that's supervised by Mashima and drawn/authored by other people

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Edne's Zero is a mixed bag, but the villian group of the current arc having a group chat gave me a good laugh

Then you have Rebecca being hypnotized to act like a dog, change into a bunny suit, and be forced into the universe's most dangerous game of strip poker.

This series has been very enjoyable to me, if you ignore the very creepy..."fanservice". The cast is pretty fun and just doesn't take itself very seriously. Also adds a good amount of threat. But then "sexyness" happens. :sigh:

Choujin X is, well at least I can understand and follow this chapter. :)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Eden’s Zero anime has also been pretty decent so far in my opinion (Happy and Erza’s EZ counterparts are played by their original Fairy Tail VAs which is neat, I wonder if the same will be true when the series inevitably gets a dub as well)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given how Netflix are I'd say it's even odds.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Given how Netflix are I'd say it's even odds.

When is the show supposed to release on Netflix anyway? I know a fansubbed version is available currently at least.

Speaking of Netflix, an English trailer for the Shaman King reboot has been released recently and it seems they managed to get a few of the 4Kids VAs back for it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bG_NVZsaaYo

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 16, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
August at some point iirc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Choujin X is, well at least I can understand and follow this chapter. :)

yea this really should have been the second chapter

the first was kind of a mess as well imo but this one feels like the author has finally calmed down

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/look-back-chapter-1/chapter/23027?action=read

The author of Chainsaw Man put out a one-shot this week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Warning, you will cry by the end.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Comments:

Surprised at Black Clover being so high, it's been consistently boring over the past several months.

Surprised at Ayakashi Triangle being all the way at the bottom, I thought Jump readers loved this kind of manga? It would be a shame if it was canceled now that it's starting to do some interesting character-related stuff, but I won't cry if it goes away.

Not surprised (but sad) that Candy Flurry is still near the bottom :sigh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

red hood: wolfonium lmao

idk why but that chapter kinda killed my enthusiasm a bit

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yea it's awesome.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mikl posted:

Comments:

Surprised at Black Clover being so high, it's been consistently boring over the past several months.

Surprised at Ayakashi Triangle being all the way at the bottom, I thought Jump readers loved this kind of manga? It would be a shame if it was canceled now that it's starting to do some interesting character-related stuff, but I won't cry if it goes away.

Not surprised (but sad) that Candy Flurry is still near the bottom :sigh:

ToC isn't a direct ranking system.

Ayakashi Triangle is probably something that they see value in keeping in the magazine, knowing that it fills a niche for the mangazine, and no one is ever going to rank it highly.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

This is really really good BTW, it is wildly different from CSM and Fire Punch so even if you're not into those I highly recommend reading it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle: you know what, I think this was the first bad Mashle chapter for me. It feels like nothing was really accomplished over these past few chapters. Mash still has great reaction faces, but he’s currently just reacting. Oddly the best way to compare it, is probably one punch man. Everyone’s seen the panels of Boros powering up and Saitama being like “ok”.
We missed something like that here. It’s literally Mash just dodging, Dumbledore responding and the enemy retreating.
This chapter needed at least another clothesline, a knee to the face or smack talk.

Candy Flurry: After a chapter like this I’d be really disappointed when it dies. I love these idiots.

Witch Watch: set up. Good setup though, I like cat witch.

Sakamoto: Was great :allears:

Undead Unluck: was great as well. It’s a bit cheap how the new negatie was negated this easily. But the build up I feel was worth it for the pay off.

Haven’t read the rest yet.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

insanely good, a testament to fujimoto being a great story teller and a tease - give me Shark Kick immediately

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Neru: took three chapters to really get going, but I'm starting to enjoy this. It has, like, a mid-nineties shonen charm that I really like.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
yeah Neru has kind of a retro charm and vibe to it but Red Hood is actually feeling increasingly more generic chapter-by-chapter now they're introduced the super-special metal everything is made from.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they still haven't left the village

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Red Hood is still in its introduction so I'm willing to give it some more chapters but they seriously need to pick up the pace.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm easily hooked by cool character and monster designs, so Red Hood is up my alley. The werewolves look cool and I also like Grimm's design.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Also that entire village is going to get hosed now. So I assume it'll start for real next chapter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pierson posted:

yeah Neru has kind of a retro charm and vibe to it but Red Hood is actually feeling increasingly more generic chapter-by-chapter now they're introduced the super-special metal everything is made from.

That’s just what the bullets are made of.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth TNT posted:

Mashle: you know what, I think this was the first bad Mashle chapter for me. It feels like nothing was really accomplished over these past few chapters. Mash still has great reaction faces, but he’s currently just reacting. Oddly the best way to compare it, is probably one punch man. Everyone’s seen the panels of Boros powering up and Saitama being like “ok”.
We missed something like that here. It’s literally Mash just dodging, Dumbledore responding and the enemy retreating.
This chapter needed at least another clothesline, a knee to the face or smack talk.

This is the conclusion to the tournament arc and the setup for the endgame, I feel like the author may have felt the threat of the axe and once it went away they cut it short so the big bad can get a proper arc to himself, and to let other characters do something.

Sakamoto: Very good. Ill never get tired of Sakamoto destroying people with random poo poo from his pockets.

Roboco: Dont know about anyone else but i feel its starting to run out of steam

Candy Flurry: I do not want this series to get axed. I love these dumbasses.
Witch Watch: Same as the above.

Neru: It really is a throwback-style martial arts manga. down to the weird ancient techniques and strange bodily features. Im starting a timer to see when the first impossible anatomy will show up.

Red Hood: Solid Eh. The art has charm (the quick shift to the classroom was good) but the characters and writing doesn't live up to that.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

muscles like this! posted:

Warning, you will cry by the end.

My wife walked into my office and I was wiping tears from my eyes "okay so I just read this manga Im going to tell you the whole plot"

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

MonsterEnvy posted:

That’s just what the bullets are made of.

Countdown until wolfonium katana

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh god, the popcorn boy's new clothes.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I swear I've read Look Back like 5 times today, it's so good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we can save candy flurry, just kill mashle instead

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

we can save candy flurry, just kill mashle instead

:hai:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mashle is good. Kill Yozakura.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Why not kill Triangle instead?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well nobody is in here complaining about triangle. somehow many people who stomached mashle for more than 40 chapters are having issues with it now so what better time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alacron posted:

I swear I've read Look Back like 5 times today, it's so good.

Yeah, it just reinforces that Fujimoto, despite the over-the-top grindhouse nature of his most famous stuff, is really good at character moments. It's all the more impressive considering how, in the Million Tag competition, he talked about how he mainly views characters as tools for the story.