Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Hwurmp posted:

god help me, I actually liked a Dustin

It happens to all of us at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This would almost certainly be a kerosene lamp. This is profoundly nauseating.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Hwurmp posted:

god help me, I actually liked a Dustin

maybe I could like this in a vaccuum but in context I just think about Skelley being so angry about something that is slightly annoying him in irl life and imagining how he would totally PWN that robocaller

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Masterful.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin under sail

I quite like those old barometers, my grandparents had one just like that at their old place.

M

My skin kinda crawls just at the thought of being that densely packed with the current everything going on.
Though I'm not at all surprised that 'tee hee fat person orders a heavy, greasy meal... AND A DIET COKE!!!!!!' jokes were already old hat back then.
Terrible Oprah caricature otherwise presented without comment.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Nekonaughey

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gnoman posted:

This would almost certainly be a kerosene lamp. This is profoundly nauseating.

I once went to church potluck and got some noodle salad and took one bite and thought it tasted like menthol cigarettes. My mother in law thought I was full of poo poo and took a bite and spit it up on the table.

Very satisfying to be so incredibly right for once.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeVdtvwJlzo

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set by any other name...

Working Daze keeps an idiot busy.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is really Your Pal, Gog-A-Gog.

Cul De Sac has me on the edge of my seat. :ohdear:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm picky English user. People who write "catsup" make me retch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That sure is an Oprah caricature

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (July 21, 1974)

FunkyWinkerOH FOR gently caress'S SAKE

"Phil? I thought you were dead!"
"I'm the supporting cast for the Funky Winkerbean B-team. You call this living?"

But seriously, what the hell, TomBat...you don't get deadder than swapping lines with Ghost Lisa.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Sunday Skippy will happen eventually, I promise.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 19, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Shadow Dec. 24th, 1940

I am a little worried where this is heading, I will admit.

Have I mentioned how much I approve of Strato's 'flying helmet, military officer top, fuzzy loincloth' outfit choice? Very 'Masters of the Universe'. Tres chic.

Axa

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SubNat posted:

My skin kinda crawls just at the thought of being that densely packed with the current everything going on.
Though I'm not at all surprised that 'tee hee fat person orders a heavy, greasy meal... AND A DIET COKE!!!!!!' jokes were already old hat back then.
Terrible Oprah caricature otherwise presented without comment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpz67hBIJwg

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Johnny Walker posted:

Ha! I doubt it! That would be really st...

Rex Morgan MD

Goddammit!

Honestly, given how long they've dragged the whole rest of this arc out, I was fully expecting at least another week of recapping "Sarah wants to read new stories, not her own story" before we got to this.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

(HMRC = Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs)
loving brilliant!

B Kliban

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is this a thing that actually happens? I've never heard of anyone having their ticket checked once they were actually inside the cinema.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens
"University is exactly the same as high school." - Every comic strip author.

What's 'the "whack, whack" part'? :confused:

His Divine Shadow posted:

Must be something american, never understood this abundant red delicious hate I see online.

Kavak posted:

That's because you don't know that apples are supposed to taste good.
I don't think red delicious apples are particularly common outside of America. Which is why Americans are the only ones who complain about them.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And now, skulking through the back alleys of our secret shames, here's more from The Minimum Security "This Strip Hasn't Changed, So What The Hell Happened To ME In The Past Ten Years?" Retrospective!

2007 (May 28-June 1)

2010, featuring the moment I grabbed the ball and ran (where the Nag Ticker kicks in again). (June 28-July 2)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Petey probably considers "ketchup" and "catsup" separate things. He's legendarily picky.

Also, wow, Minimum Security seems a lot less completely insane these days.

... the anarcho-primitive part is still bonkers.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

Is this a thing that actually happens? I've never heard of anyone having their ticket checked once they were actually inside the cinema.
Hell, half the time you don't even get your ticket checked on the way into the theater. Or at least they don't seem to look at it for more than 0.5 seconds to make sure you have a ticket.

quote:

I don't think red delicious apples are particularly common outside of America. Which is why Americans are the only ones who complain about them.
Yeah, here they're common in places that want a fruit option but also want to spend the least amount possible on it(schools, etc) so a bunch of us get exposed to them and learn to hate them.

Zereth posted:

Petey probably considers "ketchup" and "catsup" separate things. He's legendarily picky.

Also, wow, Minimum Security seems a lot less completely insane these days.

... the anarcho-primitive part is still bonkers.
Steph being a white woman using Kranti as a mouthpiece and idealizing(but also homogenizing) indigenous tribes like that is setting off some uncomfortable notes now that I noticed it, too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tiggum posted:

Red delicious apples are available seasonally here, usually grown in france and other parts of europe, never seen an amerian red del in stores. I actually like them, and we have a selection of apple trees cultivars in my family, every year we get about 200-300kg of our own apples of various kinds. So I have tried a lot of apples in my life and don't get the red delicious hate, it's just an apple, mild in flavour making it good for straight eating, a lot of other apples are very strong flavoured and better suited for cooking or juicing (we juice 90% of our harvest). The mild flavor also IMO makes an apple kids tend to like, as they don't tend to like strongly flavors. The size and shape of store bought red delicious apples can vary a lot though, as can the taste, some red dels have been cloyingly sweet. Right now I'm eating a cultivar called Ida Red.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 19, 2021

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Kennel posted:

The earliest known use of the word was as "catchup" :eng101:. "Ketchup" is also almost certainly a romanisation of a word from an Asian language from a time before romanisation was standardised so really anything goes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

His Divine Shadow posted:

some red dels have been cloyingly sweet
Yeah, that's the disconnect. Red Delicious in the US tastes approximately like cardboard, and is generally dry and mealy.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Daduzi posted:

The earliest known use of the word was as "catchup" :eng101:. "Ketchup" is also almost certainly a romanisation of a word from an Asian language from a time before romanisation was standardised so really anything goes.

indonesian. today they spell the original kecap

e: oh there's more of them all over, a general term

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've never had a problem with red deliciouses, but they were never my favourite. Golden delicious is where it's at for me. However, that may just be because it's the most pear-like of the apples.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Tiggum posted:

It's happened to me, but we have assigned seats here. My roommate and I were watching something and some guy had I guess bought counterfeit tickets so he thought he should be sitting where we were.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: oh god (July 29 - August 4, 2002)

Hey, remember how a while back there was a mention of the family going to church for Easter? And I said "I think this is the only mention of religion in the strip"? Well I was clearly wrong and had forgot all about this storyline!

So... Apparently Christianity is a thing in this universe? With distinct denominations and stuff?

I'm not even going to begin thinking about the implications. If y'all want to, go ahead and have fun.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

So I guess "start storyline, go to reruns" is the norm now.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Mikl posted:

So... Apparently Christianity is a thing in this universe? With distinct denominations and stuff?

I'm not even going to begin thinking about the implications. If y'all want to, go ahead and have fun.

I think there was a comic about Jesus being born and everyone thought he was their species, or something like that?

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 21, 1946)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

I think there was a comic about Jesus being born and everyone thought he was their species, or something like that?

That was a nativity story Kevin & Kell told Coney, to "teach her the true spirit of Christmas." At the time, I didn't think it was meant to be taken as gospel. (Pun fully intended.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bundovico Technique

Rhymes with Orange

My wife bought one of those when we got a puppy. The puppy immediately destroyed it.

Get Fuzzy 7/18/01

"I pull for the Yankers" is a nice subtle one.

Brenda Starr 11/14-16/46

Note the Austin Powers-worthy positioning of Abretha's head in the first panel.

And now for a bit of child abuse.

Smokey Stover 4/26/42

And yes, starting the day with a cold shower was supposed to be healthy and invigorating.

Richard's Poor Almanac

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 1 - Brassic

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

First page of the next Steeple storyline, which will be the first of a four part story lasting for the rest of the year. I'v never seen the characters in this page, which makes me think it's a TV show that members of the actual Steeple cast are watching

Of course, if you are one of Allison's Patreon supporters at $3 or more, you can get this complete story as a pdf download. I got it, but I want to see how the story unfolds with the rest of this thread.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Medenmath posted:

Frames 4 and 5 are amazing. I think Aleta is a bit of a sadist. She sees someone kick the poo poo out of someone and she gets stars in her eyes.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I love her dedication to filth.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Medenmath posted:

Powerful Katwinka

Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Frames 4 and 5 are amazing. I think Aleta is a bit of a sadist. She sees someone kick the poo poo out of someone and she gets stars in her eyes.

Why do you think she fell for Val?