Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Missing Name posted:

chocolate bitters do not mix with campari

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Or an Arbitrary Nature of Time! It's become one of my go-to's

Wow that's really really good! Thanks for the recommendation.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I picked up Smuggler's Cove last week and have been reading/knocking out Tiki drinks every night since. So far I've made a Tradewinds, Halekulani, Jungle Bird, Jet Pilot, Don's Own Grogg, Queen's Park Swizzle, and a Lauwiliwilinukunuku'oi'oi.

I've loved every one so far, though the Jet Pilot and Jungle Bird stand out from the rest so far. I bartended for 10 years before moving into the tech industry (which I did 4 years ago) and I miss bartending every day. I don't miss relying on it to pay my bills, but I do miss making cocktails and interacting with guests. This is kind of taking me back to those days.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD7b_z8QWFg

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ok, first of all . . .

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

On Prime Day I did a buy-one-get-one-half-off deal and finally picked up both the Death & Co and Cocktail Codex books and they’ve gotten me back into cocktails after pretty much just drinking straight bourbon/rye through all of quarantine.
I got really into the Improved Whiskey Cocktail and some of its variations (Fancy Free, Sazerac). It’s definitely made its way onto my top tier of cocktails and I think I’d prefer it to an Old Fashioned nine times out of ten. It’ll probably be my go-to at fancy bars for a while.
Yesterday I made Fish House Punch for the first time and goddamn that’s some smooth drinking, delicious, dangerous stuff. Going to pick up some local peaches and revisit it this weekend. Anyone have a suggestion for a good cocktail/mixing cognac? I had a bottle of Salignac VS in my cabinet for years that I finally killed. I need to replace it and I’m open to trying something different.
Today a friend brought me some homegrown blackberries so I made whiskey smashes with them, lime, mint, and wild turkey 101. Trying to dial it in, I put in a few drops of really good balsamic vinegar (and reduced the amount of simple) and it made all the difference…not as aggressive as a shrub but kinda hinted at that direction. I was really pleased with it.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Pierre Ferrand 1840 is a solid choice. I think it’s a pretty nice offering and usually comes in slightly below the low end stuff from the big houses

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For mixing with a bunch of things I tend to use Maison Rouge. I've really been loving Pierre Ferrand 1840 recently though, mainly for stuff that requires a big, bold flavor. Thinking about it though in most of my punches I've done though I've mainly used Remy VSOP which has been nice, but from memory I'd say it's less present than the 1840 is. Can be a good thing but I'd love to try the 1840 in like a Chatham.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Seconding Maison Rouge VSOP. Makes a great split bass Sazerac. Also, I would recommend using lemon instead of lime in your whiskey smash.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Lawen posted:

On Prime Day I did a buy-one-get-one-half-off deal and finally picked up both the Death & Co and Cocktail Codex books and they’ve gotten me back into cocktails after pretty much just drinking straight bourbon/rye through all of quarantine.
I got really into the Improved Whiskey Cocktail and some of its variations (Fancy Free, Sazerac). It’s definitely made its way onto my top tier of cocktails and I think I’d prefer it to an Old Fashioned nine times out of ten. It’ll probably be my go-to at fancy bars for a while.
Yesterday I made Fish House Punch for the first time and goddamn that’s some smooth drinking, delicious, dangerous stuff. Going to pick up some local peaches and revisit it this weekend. Anyone have a suggestion for a good cocktail/mixing cognac? I had a bottle of Salignac VS in my cabinet for years that I finally killed. I need to replace it and I’m open to trying something different.
Today a friend brought me some homegrown blackberries so I made whiskey smashes with them, lime, mint, and wild turkey 101. Trying to dial it in, I put in a few drops of really good balsamic vinegar (and reduced the amount of simple) and it made all the difference…not as aggressive as a shrub but kinda hinted at that direction. I was really pleased with it.

What was your kludge for the peach brandy? I want to make legit Fish House but I can't find actual peach brandy anywhere, even though I remember there being a few artisanal attempts at it in the last 10 years. I'm willing to pay good money to just make one true batch of it, but I'm considering breaking down and just using the "peach brandy" liqueur + apple brandy kludge Wondrich recommends.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Seconding Maison Rouge VSOP. Makes a great split bass Sazerac. Also, I would recommend using lemon instead of lime in your whiskey smash.

Same but the VS, the VSOP is just too woody for most cocktail imo

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks y'all, I'll check out the Maison Rouge and Ferrand 1840. I realized I still have about a third of a bottle of Courvoisier and a couple airplane bottles of Hennessy in the cabinet too; sounds like a good excuse to do a cognac tasting/shootout.

The Maestro posted:

I would recommend using lemon instead of lime in your whiskey smash.

I've only made smashes a handful of times and always used lemon but blackberry and lime play together so well I think it was the right move in this case. I did find that the essential oil in the lime peel added more bitterness than an equivalent amount of lemon would've, so the tweaked version ended up with half lime wedges and half lime juice. But between the lime, balsamic, and the fact that I double strained it over a big cube instead of leaving all the chunks in and doing it over crushed ice, it'd probably be more accurate to call it a riff on a whiskey smash than a real whiskey smash.

Kenning posted:

What was your kludge for the peach brandy?

The Death & Co recipe called for Massenez Creme de Peche liqueur which is only 20% ABV. I subbed in Mathilde Peche liqueur from Ferrand which has a nice overripe fresh peach flavor (as opposed to a peach gummy candy flavor, I guess). Since it's a little lower proof at 18% ABV I also dropped one of the (four!) sugar cubes from the recipe.
I just looked up Wondrich's recipe though and the additions of both the black tea and peach brandy sound pretty awesome (and more historically accurate).

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yea but blackberries work much better with lemon than whiskey does with lime

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of bad combinations: Fernet Branca and lime. Do not attempt

Goes great with Coke and Coke works with lime so I thought maybe?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Industry Sour is a fine drink and its fernet and lime?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe for all I know. It didn’t agree with me at all

Like eating mustard with a Sucret

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My usual got to for triple sec/curacao is Pierre Ferrand's dry, which I like a lot. The Total Wine was out by me though and I picked up some Luxardo Triplum. I'm curious if anyone has worked with that before though, and how close it might be to Grand Marnier or Pierre Ferrrand.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s good for cheap triple sec but nothing to write home about. I used Giffards for cocktails and Luxardo for batching out punches

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well thanks, bummer that it wasn't exactly that cheap compared to some of the other options.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Weird, Luxardo Triplum is much cheaper wholesale than stuff like Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao, in my area at least. It’s actually what I’m using at my bar right now.

Also for cocktail brandy there are a couple that aren’t made in Cognac, France but are of that quality and worth considering. Darvelle Freres VSOP Brandy is $15 a bottle here and does anything you need a brandy to do. Sainte Louise is a newer one and usually a few bucks cheaper than Pierre Ferrand as well.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The Maestro posted:

Yea but blackberries work much better with lemon than whiskey does with lime

That’s a good point. I’ll A/B them tomorrow.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I was at a very cool cocktail bar in Lorain Ohio called Speak of the Devil last week and they made me a pretty good tiki drink with Fernet (by my request, it was tiki week) but I can't remember the name of it or if it had lime in it.

I also had a really good one called I Didn't Ask for Sunshine that had bourbon, averna, grapefruit, lime, fasssionola, and licor 43 that they were nice enough to give me the recipe for. Check it out if you're in the Cleveland area.

Edit: Pretend my finger isn't over the lens, it's a new phone.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 16, 2021

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Possibly a Davy Jones Locker?

Fernet, Rum, Grapefruit Juice, Lime Juice, and Cinnamon Syrup

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Ok, maybe not a new thing for any of you, but I just found out Chik fil a will sell a 5lb bag of pellet ice for $1.50. I'm going to make some many goddamn mint Julips.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ok, maybe not a new thing for any of you, but I just found out Chik fil a will sell a 5lb bag of pellet ice for $1.50. I'm going to make some many goddamn mint Julips.

Sonic will as well.

Or you can buy a GE Pellet Ice Machine that is getting a ton of hype
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ge-pro...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So I decided to buy a bottle of cachaça on a whim because I feel like I've heard about it a lot lately. And uh, I kinda think I don't really like it. It's not revolting or anything, but I feel like I'd rather be drinking pretty much anything else. (And obviously, I first tried it in a caipirinha.) If you're curious, the band is Leblon, and it was basically the only one at the store. (I know Novo Fogo is the go-to brand, but couldn't get it.)

So I guess now what I'm looking for is basically "cachaça cocktails for people who don't like cachaça". I should mention that I haven't yet tried it in anything carbonated. I feel like that would work. The recommendations in Mixel haven't really steered me right so far, but maybe I'm just missing too many other key ingredients.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I think leblon is pretty boring myself. It’s all over the place because they did a huge marketing push a few years back. Should make a decent daiquiri. I really like the avua stuff if you get the urge to buy more. My personal favorite is the amburana, but really enjoy the uniqueness of the different bottlings.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I was bored and making bad decisions, but was making a boulevardier, and subbed in grapefruit soda for vermouth due to availability. I'm sure it's not as a good, but I rally liked it, it really brought a lot of grapefruit notes out of the campari and the soda, made them both a lot more of each other than I was expecting! Even at 2:1:1 the bourbon was a lot less pronounced than I expected.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Carillon posted:

I was bored and making bad decisions, but was making a boulevardier, and subbed in grapefruit soda for vermouth due to availability. I'm sure it's not as a good, but I rally liked it, it really brought a lot of grapefruit notes out of the campari and the soda, made them both a lot more of each other than I was expecting! Even at 2:1:1 the bourbon was a lot less pronounced than I expected.

This actually sounds really good and now I plan to get some Polar half and half for next weekend.

Cow half and half... would probably not be the same.

What grapefruit soda did you use?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Cachaca is basically less-interesting agricole rum. It’s made the same way: fresh sugarcane juice in a pot still. I’m sure exciting, expressive cachacas that capture the essence of Brazilian sugarcane terroir exist, but I’ve never had them. If you wanna really get into funky white sugarcane spirits buy a bottle of agricole, otherwise I don’t blame you for not having your imagination sparked by the blandest cachaca currently available.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How does Pitú rate compared to those? That’s the only one I’ve tried.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Missing Name posted:

This actually sounds really good and now I plan to get some Polar half and half for next weekend.

Cow half and half... would probably not be the same.

What grapefruit soda did you use?

The Pink Grapefruit Fever-Tree soda. I was really surprised at how those flavors came through. I wonder how it would be with Ting or Jarritos.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That Fever Tree Grapefruit is good stuff. My partner’s go-to cocktail lately has been a gin highball using it, sometimes with either a splash of Campari or a couple mint leaves for garnish. Good low-effort drink on a hot and humid day.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Do we have any Manhattan fans here?

It's been my favorite cocktail for a while in pretty much all iterations that didn't gently caress it up (yes, you can do that).

But I've settled upon my favorite recipe that works great for me every time. For some reason, however, finding the whiskey has been a super pain in the rear end here.

2oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye
1oz Punt e Mes
Bittercube Trinity bitters
Copper and Kings brandied cherry, sometimes I'll go with a Luxardo if I want a little extra sweet.

The WT 101 gives it a stronger kick overall, and the spices that come through with Trinity over angostura are really lovely for me.

I've also used Carpano Antica for the vermouth, and it's wonderful, but not enough to justify the price over the other.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Love Manhattans. I’m a 2.25:.75 oz rye:sweet vermouth man though

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

AlexDeGruven posted:

Do we have any Manhattan fans here?

It's been my favorite cocktail for a while in pretty much all iterations that didn't gently caress it up (yes, you can do that).

But I've settled upon my favorite recipe that works great for me every time. For some reason, however, finding the whiskey has been a super pain in the rear end here.

2oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye
1oz Punt e Mes
Bittercube Trinity bitters
Copper and Kings brandied cherry, sometimes I'll go with a Luxardo if I want a little extra sweet.

The WT 101 gives it a stronger kick overall, and the spices that come through with Trinity over angostura are really lovely for me.

I've also used Carpano Antica for the vermouth, and it's wonderful, but not enough to justify the price over the other.

I was started on carpano way back when and I love it for some things, but for a Manhattan I prefer Cocchi Torino.

2 Rittenhouse*
1 Torino
5d Ango
2d Peychauds

*I really like pikesville for the little extra booze and age. But it’s pretty spendy for a cocktail

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

2oz Rittenhouse
1oz Dolin/Carpano/Torino (whatever’s in the fridge)
2 heavy dashes ango
Stir, orange peel

My favorite variation is the Bensonhurst, I use these proportions:

2 oz Rittenhouse
1 oz dry vermouth
1 tsp Luxardo
1 tsp Cynar
Stir, cherry

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Sir Lemming posted:

So I guess now what I'm looking for is basically "cachaça cocktails for people who don't like cachaça".

Make light rum drinks and sub a portion of the rum with it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

tonedef131 posted:

2oz Rittenhouse
1oz Dolin/Carpano/Torino (whatever’s in the fridge)
2 heavy dashes ango
Stir, orange peel

My favorite variation is the Bensonhurst, I use these proportions:

2 oz Rittenhouse
1 oz dry vermouth
1 tsp Luxardo
1 tsp Cynar
Stir, cherry

Ooh, that sound kind of like it has a bit of boulevardier vibe. My other favorite cocktail. Especially with Cynar and OGD 114.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That bensonhurst is good. But then anything with Cynar is good.

I do Manhattans a lot, and my favorite is something I ripped from How to Drink:

2 Alberta Premium
1 Antica
2 dashes ango

Absolutely delicious. But the problem is that those two primary ingredients are either really expensive, have availability problems, or both. So I settled on my second favorite, which is

2 Sazerac rye
1 Cinzano Rosso
3 dashes Peychauds
Garnish with an amarena cherry

This recipe gets made at least two nights a week in my house, including night and possibly tonight!