Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

thinkin about going for a boater mike ride tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Motorcycles are neat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They sure are, friend :swoon:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
That motorcycle in particular isvery very neat. Hope you have as much fun as I am having with it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

SEKCobra posted:

I wanted to buy a bike for dropping but there is just nothing available here atm...

You can do what I did and get a chinabike, and then completely tear it apart. 🤣

I would rather drop a 1200 dollar chinabike instead of a 4000 dollar Grom

Realistically I got it for friends to drop.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 17, 2021

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

That motorcycle in particular isvery very neat. Hope you have as much fun as I am having with it.

Any time I am not riding my bike, I ask myself, "Why am I not riding my bike?"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Nofeed posted:

Any time I am not riding my bike, I ask myself, "Why am I not riding my bike?"

Same, I do everything with the bike whenever possible. My SO is pretty annoyed by this, as they often just want to take the car rather than the bikes.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Knew I was running on fumes today to and from work and the bike started to die right as I made it to the gas station. Nice.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I got a motorcycle! :whatup:

I ended up getting a used 2015 Suzuki TU250X with 700 miles from a shop that was surprisingly close to me

I paid $4500

Gorson posted:

HARD CASH
which, I know, is just under retail but the bike is pretty much new. Turns out I picked the worst possible time to buy - everyone is low on inventory, especially sub 750cc. Even the listings on Craigslist and FB marketplace are either inflated or "Needs TLCplease note, will not startalso needs many parts"
plz don't make fun of me for over paying :ohdear:

:swoon:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In another time you might have gotten away paying a little less, but right now everything's hosed and "value" has no meaning. I spent nearly a thousand dollars on a 600 dollar graphics card a couple months ago and that was a good deal. Price doesn't matter in the end, anyway. The important thing is now you have a motorcycle and that's awesome!

Go out and ride! :madmax:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I ended up getting a used 2015 Suzuki TU250X with 700 miles from a shop that was surprisingly close to me

I paid $4500

which, I know, is just under retail but the bike is pretty much new. Turns out I picked the worst possible time to buy - everyone is low on inventory, especially sub 750cc. Even the listings on Craigslist and FB marketplace are either inflated or "Needs TLCplease note, will not startalso needs many parts"

Fantastic! You can watch this f9 video to make yourself feel even bettsr about your decision, the TU part starts at 9 min
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6g6_CJZI_c

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I paid $4500

You have chosen....wisely

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Is it a trick of the lighting or is there a hefty dent in that gas tank?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I love how the TU looks and still kinda regret not getting one.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

T Zero posted:

I think that's the shadow/reflection of the grip that's above the tank

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

T Zero posted:

I saw that too but it's just weird lighting and a rogue shadow from the grip ^^^^ what they said

Russian Bear posted:

Fantastic! You can watch this f9 video to make yourself feel even bettsr about your decision, the TU part starts at 9 min
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6g6_CJZI_c

"an honestly delightful motorcycle" :gerty:

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 17, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Good one. I rode one as a loaner while my bike was being serviced once. Very docile and all the important bits worked, and squishy seat and suspension. That is to say; perfect for a newbie. After a while you'll be able to go everywhere at wide open throttle and scrape the pegs around every turn. Enjoy it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

He’s done good.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Somehow i really wanna ride that TU. IDK why, i'm sure there are objectively better bikes, but that thing just looks like fun to ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SEKCobra posted:

Same, I do everything with the bike whenever possible. My SO is pretty annoyed by this, as they often just want to take the car rather than the bikes.

Same. Part of my job now involves daily, sometimes twice daily trips to usps, fedex, ups, etc and I take the Goldwing every drat time. I don’t care if it’s too much cargo, I do my best death stranding impression and head out.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here's a guy on Reddit that I hope isn't any of you. Just got his 2021 ZX6R after being talked out of a liter bike for his first one ever.

quote:

So after watching countless hours of videos and reading articles I bought my first bike and I couldn’t be happier.

Here is my thought about 400 vs 600 as starters. If you have self control, it’s doable. If you look at the power curves, these are similar to the 400s under 8k. I’ve already driven 30+ miles and this is what I did: never go above 6, put it in lower power setting and traction level 3. If you have self control with the throttle and aren’t looking to get in to trouble, it’s doable. For the people that say start at 250/400 it’s because usually the rider is someone younger and more impulsive.

Someone mentions that they themselves started on a super sport and that while they lived, their overall progression suffered from it.

quote:

How can you retrospectively determine your progression would have been better? As I said above, <8k it’s the same as a 400. Only semi-valid argument I can think of would be weight. If that’s the case, keeping the bike sub 8k rpm and learning on a heavier bike would make you learn more how to move the bike when you actually start unleashing more and more of the power at higher RPM.

Someone calls him dumb.

quote:

Not only is it relative, smaller isn’t always better. If you’re trying to drive on the highway, having a smaller cc can be a hazard trying to accelerate.

Did you read my previous post of this is a much similar bike to a 400 <8k? If not, read it; if you have, comprehend it.

I know the idiot is me for reading the sub but sometimes there are cool people with questions I can answer.

Side note, I've passed 2 years of riding since barging in this thread. Still love reading the OP. You guys are cool.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As someone who made all the wrong decisions because I thought I knew better: lol I’m glad I’m not the dumbest one

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

Here's a guy on Reddit that I hope isn't any of you. Just got his 2021 ZX6R after being talked out of a liter bike for his first one ever.

Someone mentions that they themselves started on a super sport and that while they lived, their overall progression suffered from it.

Someone calls him dumb.

I know the idiot is me for reading the sub but sometimes there are cool people with questions I can answer.

Side note, I've passed 2 years of riding since barging in this thread. Still love reading the OP. You guys are cool.

What Not To Do: an examination of Dunning Kruger in action.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

When i was shopping around for bikes, i was contemplating an old CBR600. Like, proper old, one of the jellybean types. Luckily i ended up with my SV650s. I would actually have gotten the CBR, if the seller would have been prepared to keep it for me while i was getting my license. Another bike, a Fazer 600, i didn't bother with cause it wasn't insured and i didn't wanna do the test ride without insurance.

4 years later, i bought my screaming inline 4 sportbiek anyway - a Yamaha FZR600, and god i'm happy i didn't buy such a thing as my first bike. The sensation of keeping the throttle half open to get away somewhat quickly from a traffic light, and then 'somewhat quick' suddenly turning into 'seriously quick' when the revs climb past 6500 just keeps surprising me and giving me a big grin. 'It will bite your head off' is no joke, at least with the old carbureted stuff. No idea how much modern electronics influence the throttle response of modern 600cc inline 4s.

The FZR is a bitey little machine, much more than the SV650s is, which in itself is already quite fast and more aggro than the CB500f that i did my training (euro style, 30ish hours) on.

If there was one for as cheap as the FZR, i would've gotten a 400cc bike like that. The FZR is really on the high end of how much power is still fun and usable on public roads.
Ah, that bloody N+1 rule is no joke either. I survived with one bike for years, but now i have two and instantly want a third.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 18, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Martytoof posted:

As someone who made all the wrong decisions because I thought I knew better: lol I’m glad I’m not the dumbest one

I tried to and was finally convinced by this thread to chill out. If I didn't I never would have bought my favorite thing ever.

Shoot I gotta go ride now I'll see you all later.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Rolo posted:

I tried to and was finally convinced by this thread to chill out. If I didn't I never would have bought my favorite thing ever.

And what a lovely thing it is!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Here's a guy on Reddit that I hope isn't any of you.

Dude needs a gopro.
...and a drz-sm.

LimaBiker posted:

If there was one for as cheap as the FZR, i would've gotten a 400cc bike like that. The FZR is really on the high end of how much power is still fun and usable on public roads.
Ah, that bloody N+1 rule is no joke either. I survived with one bike for years, but now i have two and instantly want a third.

I started on a fzr400/hybrid. sweet little machine that eventually had a yzf600 engine crammed into it. put six figures of miles on that bike. Two engines, 3 harnesses, 3 suspension overhauls. Push start only for like the first 3 years. It wound up being my only running vehicle several times. (lol degenerate rover/rovershop owner)
Small bikes are sublime as gently caress. I'd totally rock a tz250/fzr250r.

I didn't see the light until I rode a friend's shitbox drz supermoto. fzr was gone within like 4 months and a yz450F + yz250sm entered the chat.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rolo posted:

You're going to get deltav'd on the freeway on that thing when it can't get out of its own way!

I'm kidding this is the perfect sportbike for 95% of people who ride. I'm tempted to remove a couple shitbikes in my life and replace them with something like this.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

"I've already driven 30+ miles" is so good on multiple levels.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MomJeans420 posted:

"I've already driven 30+ miles" is so good on multiple levels.

I know it’s amazing.

Hey how’s the hand?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

While I'm fully an idiot I knew well enough not to get a bike that makes more hp than my first car which was a clapped out toyota celica.

I keep seeing this sweet ninja 600 on the used market and its even the same year and color as my bike, but for what I do with my bike, mostly ride around town and back roads, the N650 is a dream.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Rolo posted:

That's a nice bike. Love the white.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I did a LOT of slow steep switchbacks up and down mountain access roads today with a friend and it definitely pushed my comfort zone. Generally I’m still unsure of how to gauge a good entry speed for slow turns and I know I need to fight every instinct to grab a handful of brake when things get dicey, unfortunately this ended up with me being a little too timid on some turns almost inching through until I got more comfort. By the end of the day I was exhausted but I think I learned a little today. I’m planning on going out there again next weekend to ride the switchbacks and continue feeling out my slow speed turns, but also going to hit up some local roundabouts to do the same in a more controlled manner.

Generally feel good about today even if it took the piss out of me at first.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

I did a LOT of slow steep switchbacks up and down mountain access roads today with a friend and it definitely pushed my comfort zone. Generally I’m still unsure of how to gauge a good entry speed for slow turns and I know I need to fight every instinct to grab a handful of brake when things get dicey, unfortunately this ended up with me being a little too timid on some turns almost inching through until I got more comfort. By the end of the day I was exhausted but I think I learned a little today. I’m planning on going out there again next weekend to ride the switchbacks and continue feeling out my slow speed turns, but also going to hit up some local roundabouts to do the same in a more controlled manner.

Generally feel good about today even if it took the piss out of me at first.
Next time, try doing switchbacks a gear lower than you did this time, as long as it’s not first. That turns your speed control into a single motion (throttle) as opposed to two (brakes and throttle). If you’re coming in a little hot, you can just roll off smoothly and the deceleration will be smoother and your riding will be smoother.
Exaggerating your look through the turn helps carry speed through. Get your inside butt cheek off the edge of the seat as well.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I'm thinking about getting a full-on crash cage for my 650, fully not caring how goofy it looks. I really need to get out into a parking lot to work on slow speed stuff and I'm under no pretence that the bike won't be on its side a handful of times. I'm also incredibly vain but weird in that I think rashed plastic looks worse than a goofy crash cage.

I'm totally prepared for "lol just drop the bike and get it over with and forget your plastics" but that's just not me. Ultimately I think anything that gets me more comfortable being a little more adventurous practicing will be a good thing.

I personally benefited enormously from practicing in a parking lot. Being able to safely bail out of, or completely screw up, a corner is huge. You're not even limited to just low-speed technical stuff, if you have access to one big and empty enough that you can get up to ~60km/h; you can learn a lot about how to corner that translates into the real world IMO. I crashed twice within 800mi, then realized I need to go figure out how to deal with panic, how to judge speed, learn how to brake, etc. I did 8 hours, maybe more, of 100m long oval shaped figure 8s that really improved my ability and confidence, which turned mountain rides into rewarding experiences instead of "hope I don't crash this time" worry fests. I still go practice in parking lots, although for the last 6 months I haven't had the chance because it was a vaccination site. I just went the other day and got to try a lot of stuff I would never (or even could) try on a public road.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Went to the local powersport dealer to see what things look like before I start scouring Craigslist. Unsurprisingly they didn't have a ton of beginner-friendly stuff; the only things there that I should even stand next to at this point were a couple of Super Cubs and a Grom; everything else was some 600 mL thing or a huge rear end cruiser on consignment. Amusingly they had more Ducati bikes than anything else there, including a couple of Hypermotards in the very back of the shop.

Over the last few months it looks like I can pretty reliably find a Ninja 300 ABS or CBR300 ABS in the area so if my stupid house will stop breaking every cooling device in it for a couple of weeks I might actually get something this summer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

some 600 mL thing

I know this is equivalent to cc but it weirds me out

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

when i was looking for bikes i was looking at duke 390s and i saw those sell fast

prices didnt get totally hosed where i live, like i said theres a few sweet gixxers and ninjas listed

because FB market spams you with what you were looking for, i see all the bikes posted. i sometimes have a look at the N650s for sale and i gotta say i good deal with mine im pretty sure, considering it was under 4k in milage. it was perfect until it met me. i might see a newer ABS one for the same price but its elsewhere and goes quickly too.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 19, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I know this is equivalent to cc but it weirds me out

Metric: engines, jommetry, tyres sections, forks

Imperial: wheels, bars, chains, pressures, horsepower

It's all hosed when you think about it so it's best not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I know that a 750 V4 doesn't sound like a proper first road bike choice, but given the fact it's far away from the screaming 70 some-ish horsepower ratings when it was new, I think it's fairly sensible for me.

Apparently I make it look small, according to the neighbor maintenance fellows who were talking me up a few weeks ago while I was sorting out the coil issues.

I've also found out I'm steering it wrong. I'm not countersteering like I thought, I'm apparently pivot turning? Using my hips and lower body at lower speeds on cornering and then going into a semi tuck and THEN countersteering as the corners require? Is this wrong? I guess it's something I've brought from my 3 and 4 wheeler days when I used to do dumb stunts like riding around sideways on dirt or two tires in the yard.

And speaking of the 750, it's dumb low power intermittent issues have returned, even after the new coil. I was about to turn the idle speed down, as I have great power when the idle is running at around 3k, but whenever it's idling where it SHOULD, I have little to no power.

Guess it's time to check for vac leaks before tackling the air cleaner and then carb boots to see what could be going on there.