Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The best part of this was people responding to "yeah it's not like the japanese have slang of their own or anything" with "no, they don't, and that's what's so great about them", completely sincerely.

quote:

Alright, I'm gonna try to keep things civil here. I searched and haven't seen any discussion for this topic in well over a year. Try your best to only downvote rude comments in this thread. I'd like the better arguments be heard regardless of the most popular opinion. If they have good evidence, you don't have to upvote but please hear them out.

Nakama originated from Kaizoku-Fansubs way back in Episode 38. They said from here on out, nakama will be used instead of "friend" or "crewmate" because there is no word strong enough to define nakama. Because of this, most of the One Piece fanbase has a false perception on what nakama means. In Japan, nakama refers to a group of people. A group of friends, classmates, coworkers. You don't have to like them. So long as you're a team or group, you are nakama. There is no magic for nakama in Japan. It's just a word. In One Piece, it mostly refers to a pirate crew or group of friends. The head of Kaizoku-Fansubs later goes on to say that he was initially unsure of using nakama from the beginning. He was worried it would become overused; which it has.

Some also argue that in the world of One Piece, nakama is a stronger word than used by the average Japanese speaker. Nobody on the Japanese side of One Piece has ever suggested this. Not Oda, not Toei, not Shueisha. In the context of the story, we see that Foxy uses this word a lot. And he gambles his nakama repeatedly. Luffy, who fought with Wapol over misusing the word "pirate," never tells Foxy off for using nakama in the supposedly wrong context. That's because the word isn't special. Later on, we meet the Whitebeard Pirates who are not nakama. They are family. They use family to show how close they are. Not nakama. This shows that family is more valuable than nakama a word that is suggested by many to mean "a bond stronger than family."

The final common argument supporting nakama is that the word is too hard to translate. There are hardly any words in Japanese that have a direct translation to English. Yarou means bastard or rear end in a top hat. Chopper calls people this when they compliment him. Luffy also says yarou to call the crew together in a way similar to to "Hey, you guys!" One is derogatory and the other is not. It would be off putting for Chopper to say "Don't call me cute, you guy!" or Luffy to say "Hey, assholes!" to his crew. Japanese words are interchangeable. Nakama can easily be translated into friends or crewmates. It's not hard to translate and any qualified translator should be capable of finding a right word for the situation.

Here's my source on KF admitting regret at the word catching on: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=14602&page=4&p=634889#post634889

Let me know if there's any other suggestions about nakama being left as it is (try to keep feelings out of this!) and let's talk about it. I'll be civil if you are.

quote:

Nakama (仲間) is a Japanese word, generally defined as "someone one is close with and with whom one does something together".

In English, the word most closely translates to "comrade", "companion", "fellow" or "one of us (/them)". It can also be used to refer to a close colleague / a friend at one's workplace ("shigoto-nakama", 仕事仲間), or, for example, a friend with whom one partakes in a hobby (e.g. "geemu-nakama", ゲーム仲間; "fellow gamer").

Although nakama technically translates to "comrade", the word is not used in communist contexts. People who share the same ideal and work toward a "greater cause" would tend to use the word "doushi" (同志) instead. This is equivalent to "tongzhi" in Chinese, and is used in a similar fashion.

The word nakama has gained some international recognition due to its prominent usage in the anime, One Piece. In One Piece the word is often used to denote a very close comrade or ally. This usage corresponds to the definition of 'nakama' as given in the Iwanami Japanese Dictionary: "People who have maintained a close relationship for a fairly long time, who share the same feelings (lit. "whose hearts are united") and who do something together" (JP: 心を合わせて何かをいっしょにするという間柄をかなりの期間にわたって保っている人 そういう間柄 ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
wanna see the controversies that spring up in the Japanese communities that translate english media to Japanese

there was a kerfuffle over the official Japanese translation of Undertale having Sans use "oira" to refer to himself (the country bumpkin pronoun that child Goku uses in Dragon Ball) instead of "boku" or "ore" (pronouns for normal guys).

Japanese fans called it the "oira shock" as a reference to the "oil shock" in the 1970s caused by the OPEC embargo

https://twitter.com/kinoko_morino/status/874597784560652289/photo/1

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Jul 16, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

KomradeX posted:

The "bullying" in Nagatoro like quickly drops once the main group all sort of cross a line and than its more light hearted friends poo poo anyway.

Does Uzaki even count as bullying? Like thats just an introvert friend being made to do stuff with an extrovert

it's bullying when girls try to talk to me

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Casey Finnigan posted:

wanna see the controversies that spring up in the Japanese communities that translate english media to Japanese

there was a kerfuffle over the official Japanese translation of Undertale having Sans use "oira" to refer to himself (the country bumpkin pronoun that child Goku uses in Dragon Ball) instead of "boku" or "ore" (pronouns for normal guys).

Japanese fans called it the "oira shock" as a reference to the "oil shock" in the 1970s caused by the OPEC embargo

Somewhere out there, Rawhide Kobayashi angrily posts about changes made to a dubbed episode of Jabberjaw, furious that the dubbers inserted some Japanese slang despite Americans famously not having any slang of their own.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
that ending in reconguista was good but a bit baffling.. even for such a breakneck pace show by the final episode it floors it and if you blink it you'll miss key characters dying

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

christmas boots posted:

it's bullying when girls try to talk to me

Hello Christmas boots

Send me $100 or the bullying will continue

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

"Bullying works. No, not like that!"

christmas boots posted:

Somewhere out there, Rawhide Kobayashi angrily posts about changes made to a dubbed episode of Jabberjaw, furious that the dubbers inserted some Japanese slang despite Americans famously not having any slang of their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I2E1qqNLPQ

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Honest Thief posted:

that ending in reconguista was good but a bit baffling.. even for such a breakneck pace show by the final episode it floors it and if you blink it you'll miss key characters dying

g reco did way too much telling and not showing. in the last arc tons of poo poo happens but they barely show any of it. just some dude saying oh yeah that happened or we did thing

I loved the first half but the second kinda ducking sucked

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

they probably figured it'd be a 2 season run like a typical Gundam series, and had to cut a lot of corners.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

Hello Christmas boots

Send me $100 or the bullying will continue

no no no no no no no

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Tabletops posted:

g reco did way too much telling and not showing. in the last arc tons of poo poo happens but they barely show any of it. just some dude saying oh yeah that happened or we did thing

I loved the first half but the second kinda ducking sucked

i appreciate they just drop you into it and hope you can pick it up but errr how about a couple of episodes showing how Earth is recovering from a huge famine crisis or even have some characters grieve death

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

KomradeX posted:

The "bullying" in Nagatoro like quickly drops once the main group all sort of cross a line and than its more light hearted friends poo poo anyway.

Does Uzaki even count as bullying? Like thats just an introvert friend being made to do stuff with an extrovert
Good to hear on that and I may pick it up later on then.

No to does not count as bullying and that was always one of the weirdest things I saw in some places. Like she was kind of pushy, but never really went overboard as well as him low key being cool with her hanging out with him.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a fantasy scenario for masochists, potentially upsetting to victims of bullying and just kind of weird and off-putting to everyone else.

This. The super NTR stuff from the PC whatever it was also did not help. If it's improved in the publications I might give it a shot.

This is the part where I shamelessly shill for Anjou-san which is basically all of the best parts of Nagatoro-san, Uzaki-san, and Takagi-san.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a fantasy scenario for masochists, potentially upsetting to victims of bullying and just kind of weird and off-putting to everyone else.

Depraved sexual fantasies like a girl joking around with you.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

None of those shows have a giant robot why bother

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Just throw together a quick director's cut of the lastest love bully anime and just digitally add Tequila Gundam chilling in the background of every shot.

E: gently caress that, windmill gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

net work error posted:

None of those shows have a giant robot why bother

ZZ Gundam is a giant robot show about a teenage boy getting hit on by an attractive, charismatic older woman who also happens to be a mass-murdering dictator.

Tomino was decades ahead of his time.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Being in a room with a girl is torture beyond all knowledge and is to be avoided

We need the otaku to believe this

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Gripweed posted:

She pokes fun at his foibles.

Me and my friends have done far worse to one another. Maybe my view on this is skewed

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Just throw together a quick director's cut of the lastest love bully anime and just digitally add Tequila Gundam chilling in the background of every shot.

E: gently caress that, windmill gundam

There's not an anime out there that wouldn't be improved by adding tequila Gundam somewhere in a shot

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

Is the rural accent looked down upon like it is here

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is the rural accent looked down upon like it is here

Is there anywhere with dense urban societies where having rural accents doesn't get you pegged as a hick?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
speaking of anime and King of the Hill, I made an effortpost in adtrw to link this great rendition from megumi nakajima’s cover album, so im linking it here, too

here’s my cool imouto covering the best insert song from King of the Hill, too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

christmas boots posted:

lmfao Jabberjaw

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

KomradeX posted:

Is there anywhere with dense urban societies where having rural accents doesn't get you pegged as a hick?

same everywhere I think

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
chicago, osaka, and busan have a reputation for weird bumpkin accents. they’re urban as poo poo.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

KomradeX posted:

it would be funny if your dialect made you sound like an upper class brit in your language, so everyone would think people from your area were secretly hyper-educated with a slant towards villiany

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Got to the wonder egg priority episode about the scientist friend.

God dammit

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

chicago, osaka, and busan have a reputation for weird bumpkin accents. they’re urban as poo poo.

I never thought of a Chicago accent as a bumpkin accent, the Minnesota/ Fargo accent yeah. Is like the ur-sound of a Mid-West fat guy, but that's probably entirely because of that old SNL "Da Bears" bit.

But I guess instead of rural it's like the Southern accent where if you got a thick accent it doesn't matter if your from the city other people are going to look or treat you like you just fell off the turnip truck

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

KomradeX posted:

I never thought of a Chicago accent as a bumpkin accent, the Minnesota/ Fargo accent yeah. Is like the ur-sound of a Mid-West fat guy, but that's probably entirely because of that old SNL "Da Bears" bit.

...that skit is a riff on Chicago fans though?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

...that skit is a riff on Chicago fans though?

Yeah I wasn't being clear, the Chicago accent is that too me, not a bumpkin like one

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ah, okay, they way it was lined out made me think you were talking about the Minnesota accent being the type shown in the skit.

Anyways, idk, I feel like so many accents are centered around an urban center these days I honestly find it super hard to read hickishness out of most of them. Short of like, straight up parody voice I guess

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Brb starting CHI Guido voice account

"Let's go Bears baby gotta love da Bears!"

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just finished up "On-Gaku: Our Sound" and it was great. Feel's an anime version of a good Indie film or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoqptivRx_0

Get's a big recommend from me especially if you're into music.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Anime Good

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/ayurelacteus/art/Spartacus-League-551119430

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The dub of MHA makes it sound like the MLA is vaguely far right as Hawks tries to talk about it being all about "Personal Responsibility," which would be funny.

Wont be reading the manga so how is the MLA portrayed there without giving away too much?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

The dub of MHA makes it sound like the MLA is vaguely far right as Hawks tries to talk about it being all about "Personal Responsibility," which would be funny.

Wont be reading the manga so how is the MLA portrayed there without giving away too much?

The MLA is about people discarding notions of basic human equality and having the right to use the superpowers they were granted by the genetic lottery for personal gain and political power, so that's not far off.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

That kinda rules to make as an enemy to society lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/weirdwithwords/status/1415831885285056515

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
ya hayao miyazaki is a mega whiny bitch who's always complaining lol

also a lil creepy

"[This actress] is 13 years old, but I have lots of girlfriends around that age."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It's hosed up how Americans decided Miyazaki is the elder statesman of anime, when Tomino is a better choice in every way.