Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I had a similar feeling of 'oh God I'm poo poo I'm not good at my job I'm terrible' thing for a while, to the point where it took me a long time to realize that, five years in, I was really good at my job. There are people better than me, don't get me wrong, but in an industry where 95% of every hiring wave quits in within three months? Good.

And managers have a vested interest in keeping their employees from realizing the value of their labor. It works well for them to push you, especially if they know it's effective. But even if it's just that you're new and slow, some managers are just miserable worked-to-death assholes that hate their jobs and hate you because of it.

With a certain level of experience both at a profession and in a given store, you'll acquire the knowledge of 'how good am I'. There's nothing more satisfying to a burnt-out retail vet than being able to push against a manager and seeing there is no 'or else', because you've got more value than they got leverage.

Note: this doesn't help you if the manager is stupid or vengeful enough to set themselves on fire in a suicidal display of spite

A fair number of retail managers are the living embodiment of the me reaping/me sowing tweet with the approximate memory of a goldfish with CTE, repeating the cycle over and over again until they finally fire themselves from life

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

Also, why is it like this? If I was a manager, I would respect my disciplined staff and tell my undisciplined staff to gently caress off, right? It seems like an absolutely loving terrible way to run a business.

I'm changing jobs after years at my last place and my boss texted me almost exactly two weeks after I left to ask if I was interested in coming back. Part of why I left is because of how angry it made me that my coworkers were lazy jackasses who struggled to go an entire week without calling in "sick." Sickness that only occurred exactly once every 1-2 weeks on days that I worked leading to double shifts, five times in a row. I replied politely back since I gave two weeks notice and got on well with my boss and all that I'd keep it in mind but I wasn't interested. The relief I felt to have dodged two more weeks of pure anger was very nice.

What I'm trying to say is that if you show up every day on time and call out for actual reasons you are already hitting above average. In a lot of places they take the guys who come in 30 minutes late everyday and call out because "gotta party on the weekend" and conspicuously vanish frequently when they see other, harder workers clock in and they call these guys "the standards." And my former boss isn't an idiot or full of hubris. He just works in a high turnover field, has X amount of shifts to try to fill and can't throw 2 half-slackers out while he waits for 2 ideals to apply.

quote:

What will happen if I apply myself? Why? What do I do if they bring me into the office and say: Oolb you are a failure?

As per above most places don't have time or motivation to tear into grunt workers because they're not hitting the misery to efficiency quota. They'd rather dedicate time and energy to busting internal theft or true screw ups. If you're in a retail position and your boss calls you in to dress you down there are a few ways to handle it:

1) Ask for training/help, undertraining is definitely a thing that happens too often.

2) Are you in a position where you're actually expected to grow into the job? Like are you being prepped to take over as manager of a department? If not don't let it get to you. Be polite, sure, but you don't owe them the world. And be really careful of being promised it, especially without anything concrete or in writing. "Keep at this and really give it your all and in a year you could be X." Hmmm yes a long consistent period of over-applying myself for something I can't hold anyone to on their end. The American Dream.

quote:

I got assigned a task today which took up the whole shift. It was very tedious, the same exact motion for hours, but I was very focused the whole time and efficient. I wasn't at a sprinting pace, but jogging. Yet I STILL didn't get it done in time! And more, I missed a key point of what my manager asked me to do! I was tired, but I think his communication was lacking and the ask was unreasonable, maybe.

Something I learned long, long ago is that if somebody tells you that X is really important then they won't assign it and gently caress off if there's a chance X won't happen without Y hands on deck. They'll jump in to fill a hole if it truly matters.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Worked with a coworker today who revealed she's a Q believer. Had a pretty interesting talk about the Annunaki and if we live in a simulation.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Oolb posted:

I feel like I respect management too much, when in my estimation they're almost universally a bunch of half-wit narcissistic incompetent often sadistic fuckwits who weren't smart or advantaged enough to land anything better. In offering myself up to them like a solider does to a general I open myself up to abuse, but I don't know how to balance keeping my job with a gently caress you kind of energy.

Never respect management more than they respect you.

Are they going to reward you for working extra hard? No? Then gently caress them.

Are they gonna give you the resources to get things done on time, and well? No? Then gently caress them.

Loyalty to most workplaces is a loving sham. The number of places that actually reward devotion, time and energy in equal measure to how it's offered(or, frankly, at all) can be counted on a blind carpenter's hand.

You've done right by starting out in high gear to give a good first impression, now gear down and, frankly, work only as much as is necessary for your self-respect and to not get fired. I.e. be nice to nice customers, don't be enough of an rear end in a top hat to get any customer complaints or leave any holes or mistakes that can be traced back to you. They're paying you for your hours, not for any specific results, treat it that way.

Advanced Shamurai tactics: Help your coworkers. Work done by coworkers has several advantages compared to your own tasks.

#1: You're clearly working, so no one will assign you anything new.
#2: You're helping a colleague! You're a good colleague! Coworker will be thankful, manager will go "dang what a cool team player."
#3: The task is your coworker's responsibility, not yours. You can work both slowly and inefficiently, as long as your help isn't literally worse than going away, they'll be thankful for the help, and the end result is in no way your problem, just follow coworker's instructions.

Also, if anyone ever offers to "promote" you to a salaried position, laugh at them until they go away. Salaried positions are always scams, and you can tell how loving stupid managers are by the fact that they're almost always salaried.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I had a good manager a while back who had the philosophy that it's unreasonable to expect everyone to always give 100% effort, and as long as we consistently gave him 80% he wouldn't bitch about poo poo maybe not getting done.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
So something my retail adjacent job is doing to keep employees. We're getting a dollar an hour pay bump for the next nine weeks and then they're taking the total hours we worked over that time and giving us a .50 cent an hour lump sum payout in addition to that. That's they're way of saying we've had people quitting in droves and it's the worst time of year for y'all please stay pretty please. When we're all working 50-60 (in my case almost 70) hour weeks this is gonna be pretty nice. What sucks is the salaried managers are getting something too....a 500 dollar extra bonus in December. The managers are a bit insulted because they're doing these crazy hours with us but getting paid for 45. They definitely are desperate to stem the bleeding because managers are saying duck this and quitting too. Wonder what the response is gonna be when this ends though.
People are more upset we still have to wear masks in the hottest months of the year. It's all surreal because for the first time ever some shops had to have their hours changed due to lack of staffing. It's all crazy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

So something my retail adjacent job is doing to keep employees. We're getting a dollar an hour pay bump for the next nine weeks and then they're taking the total hours we worked over that time and giving us a .50 cent an hour lump sum payout in addition to that. That's they're way of saying we've had people quitting in droves and it's the worst time of year for y'all please stay pretty please. When we're all working 50-60 (in my case almost 70) hour weeks this is gonna be pretty nice. What sucks is the salaried managers are getting something too....a 500 dollar extra bonus in December. The managers are a bit insulted because they're doing these crazy hours with us but getting paid for 45. They definitely are desperate to stem the bleeding because managers are saying duck this and quitting too. Wonder what the response is gonna be when this ends though.
People are more upset we still have to wear masks in the hottest months of the year. It's all surreal because for the first time ever some shops had to have their hours changed due to lack of staffing. It's all crazy.

See purple's post for your salaried managers:

PurpleXVI posted:

Also, if anyone ever offers to "promote" you to a salaried position, laugh at them until they go away. Salaried positions are always scams, and you can tell how loving stupid managers are by the fact that they're almost always salaried.

Salaried is a joke. You still pay overtime but no longer get paid for it. If you're salaried and are at all in a position where you're in the store more than you're not: you're getting screwed. Honestly a regional level manager might be the point where I feel Salary payment is worth it.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
They offered me my own store last week due to the manager of that store quitting. My response was hell no I'm not taking that dumpster fire. My manager wasn't happy at how unprofessional I was and our area manager was hurt and insulted. But I told them my terms for moving up. Which was a dual manager store. I've been on crazy hours for almost a year and I'm not in the head space to take on that bullshit along with what would probably be a pay cut with the current incentive thing. The person that took it thanked me for turning it down because he was very enthusiastic about moving up. Godspeed dumbass.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Store Managers actually make a living wage, so they have that going for them. That's the end of the good news.

The truth is that a SM is even more of a helpless slave with zero autonomy than a common retail serf is. And their comp structure usually is specifically designed to punish them for treating the people who work for them with any basic human dignity whatsoever. It's a horrible job that is staffed 90%-plus with petty tyrants and fervent kool-aid drinkers.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

goon Oolb, having worked in a management position lemme tell you somesing:

you're at work to do a job, so just do that job. work your hours then go home. don't offer to work overtime unless you need the money, and if you do work overtime make it abundantly clear that you're getting something out of it. "stay an hour? as long as i get paid." simplify your tasks, cut corners where you can. don't make excuses, just say "okay boss" and do what they want. this isn't to show obedience and win hearts, this is because you need to give them less interaction so that they give you less interaction. it's to get them to gently caress off and not pick on you. their goal in treating you like an rear end in a top hat is to unload stress from themselves, so don't share their burden. if they can't handle the rigors of leading a store, then maybe the job isn't for them and they should quit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Store Managers actually make a living wage, so they have that going for them. That's the end of the good news.

The truth is that a SM is even more of a helpless slave with zero autonomy than a common retail serf is. And their comp structure usually is specifically designed to punish them for treating the people who work for them with any basic human dignity whatsoever. It's a horrible job that is staffed 90%-plus with petty tyrants and fervent kool-aid drinkers.

It's to the point that to be a successful manager one has to actively enjoy picking on the people below them as a perk.

At Amazon (at least my facility) a T1 worker picking up an an average of 8-10 hours of overtime throughout the year will actually make more than an L4 manager's salary. Most don't do that but I know a few that do. It gets even easier to make more if you promote from T1 to T3 (T2 are customer service) because you're not only making more: there's so many meetings and such you go to, and electronic paperwork to clear, that you easily pick up an extra hour each shift without picking up any extra shifts.

Getting the promotion from T3 to L4 is a downgrade in pay (but if you have half a brain and are willing to move it does put you on the Amazon Promotion Train)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

My work has turned down the AC and some days are just miserable for me. I’m very sensitive to heat so this means I spend part of my shifts sick in the bathroom. All my manager said was “well you’re hot because you’re working.” Sure.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Oolb posted:

Won't I get fired? I really need this job.

You are aware there is a "labor"* shortage right now, yes?

*pay

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

honestly where I work even before the “labor” shortage the only way you’d ever get fired is to just stop showing up or to like gently caress up with register stuff enough for it to be out of our hands, and we have super specific metrics that we’re supposed to fire people for not meeting.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Alkydere posted:

Salaried is a joke. You still pay overtime but no longer get paid for it. If you're salaried and are at all in a position where you're in the store more than you're not: you're getting screwed. Honestly a regional level manager might be the point where I feel Salary payment is worth it.

Here they love to "promote" people to pseudo-manager salaried positions just to make them feel like "WOW THE COMPANY CARES THEY'RE PROMOTING ME I AM ON THE RISE!" and trigger the little ambition neurons in their goopy brainmeats, but in practice all of them are stressed, overworked, starting to snap at people and beginning to come apart at the seams because it's the solution to department understaffing:

Overwork a salaried person who has less protections, doesn't need to be paid more AND is usually too ambitious to complain to the union/workplace safety etc. about being scheduled for 50+ hours every week.

I always warn them that they're about to get hosed, but none of them ever listen, and one of them's already had his first stress breakdown.

Salaried positions should just be loving illegal, full stop. There's no situation where they're justified or make sense.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

honestly where I work even before the “labor” shortage the only way you’d ever get fired is to just stop showing up or to like gently caress up with register stuff enough for it to be out of our hands, and we have super specific metrics that we’re supposed to fire people for not meeting.

Or loving with the employee discount! (Except for one particular cashier who's a complete rear end in a top hat to the one decent manager left.)

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

dovetaile posted:

Or loving with the employee discount! (Except for one particular cashier who's a complete rear end in a top hat to the one decent manager left.)

Oh yeah we just had someone get fired because she gave someone a 70% discount on their whole transaction plus a bunch of random 10% ones.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Salaried positions should just be loving illegal, full stop. There's no situation where they're justified or make sense.

If a job makes you track the time you're at work then that job should be neither salaried nor FLSA exempt.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Here they love to "promote" people to pseudo-manager salaried positions just to make them feel like "WOW THE COMPANY CARES THEY'RE PROMOTING ME I AM ON THE RISE!" and trigger the little ambition neurons in their goopy brainmeats, but in practice all of them are stressed, overworked, starting to snap at people and beginning to come apart at the seams because it's the solution to department understaffing:

Overwork a salaried person who has less protections, doesn't need to be paid more AND is usually too ambitious to complain to the union/workplace safety etc. about being scheduled for 50+ hours every week.

I always warn them that they're about to get hosed, but none of them ever listen, and one of them's already had his first stress breakdown.

As a wise man once put it, "Sometimes life leaves a $100 bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later it's because it hosed you."

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Midjack posted:

If a job makes you track the time you're at work then that job should be neither salaried nor FLSA exempt.

Caveat: I'm in the IT field, and while I'm salary exempt, I still have to track my time for either chargeback/billing purposes or time tracking of projects to help estimate future needs, stuff like that.

It's annoying as hell, and it would be great to stop, but it's unfortunately necessary and valid, and I'm sure there are other reasons where it might be valid. I dunno how many apply to retail though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Caveat: I'm in the IT field, and while I'm salary exempt, I still have to track my time for either chargeback/billing purposes or time tracking of projects to help estimate future needs, stuff like that.

It's annoying as hell, and it would be great to stop, but it's unfortunately necessary and valid, and I'm sure there are other reasons where it might be valid. I dunno how many apply to retail though.

None of that refutes my assertion.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This week not only did get another day cut yet again, but I have been given three loving opening shifts. Oh and the manager sent the second manager now to get on my rear end yet again about closing.

So at the end of my shift I shook my coworker's hand and told him its been real, this is my last day. I'll let management know about it on Tuesday.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Leal posted:

This week not only did get another day cut yet again, but I have been given three loving opening shifts. Oh and the manager sent the second manager now to get on my rear end yet again about closing.

So at the end of my shift I shook my coworker's hand and told him its been real, this is my last day. I'll let management know about it on Tuesday.

whoa mama

good for you. i hope they're happy with themselves.

what's your next gig?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Mill Village posted:

My work has turned down the AC and some days are just miserable for me. I’m very sensitive to heat so this means I spend part of my shifts sick in the bathroom. All my manager said was “well you’re hot because you’re working.” Sure.
This poo poo is absolutely cooked if you're working fill/replenishment in a hot store with a mask on. Had a team member feint on me last year right at the start of the day and everyone panicked.
It's genuinely frustrating when this happens because my company is always like, "yeah AC's broken we'll get contractors out to work on it" but it's always been that way since like 2017 when I started. Did my orientation day in sweltering heat on an incredibly mild day and wondered what the gently caress is going on.
Turns out it's just always that hot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

whoa mama

good for you. i hope they're happy with themselves.

what's your next gig?

After getting my money out of my brokerage and my final check + vacation time payout should get me enough money for a year of expenses, I'm gonna work out and work on my eating to nab a job at one of the tomato factories in town when they do seasonal work. It'll be 4 or 5 months of hell work but then I'd get a year's worth of income here doing that and get unemployment for the rest of the year. I'm also having my brother and his gf keep an eye out for any workshop openings at the truck stops they work out. I'm not loving dealing with food again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm glad you got out and I hope the future is brighter for you!

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Leal posted:

Congrats! Good plan to take some 'you' time and not have to deal with moron bullshit for a while.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

After getting my money out of my brokerage and my final check + vacation time payout should get me enough money for a year of expenses, I'm gonna work out and work on my eating to nab a job at one of the tomato factories in town when they do seasonal work. It'll be 4 or 5 months of hell work but then I'd get a year's worth of income here doing that and get unemployment for the rest of the year. I'm also having my brother and his gf keep an eye out for any workshop openings at the truck stops they work out. I'm not loving dealing with food again.

Glad you’re our, mental health is the #1 priority so good for you there.

Just be careful with retirement money, they usually charge a 10% fee on top of taxes for early withdrawal. Again, if you need it you need it, but if you can avoid cashing it all out at once not a bad thought.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Leal posted:

Best way to quit retail. Expect calls begging you to come back of course.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ErKeL posted:

This poo poo is absolutely cooked if you're working fill/replenishment in a hot store with a mask on. Had a team member feint on me last year right at the start of the day and everyone panicked.
It's genuinely frustrating when this happens because my company is always like, "yeah AC's broken we'll get contractors out to work on it" but it's always been that way since like 2017 when I started. Did my orientation day in sweltering heat on an incredibly mild day and wondered what the gently caress is going on.
Turns out it's just always that hot.

Comparing notes from these and other posts in this thread should be sufficent to clue us in that not paying for air conditioning is in fact a part of the profit model in that sector of the industry.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Leal posted:

As a long time lurker this makes my heart swell, congratulations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

oh to be a fly on the wall when they try to figure out what to do next

:munch:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

welp here's a greatest hits post so you never forget the fun you had.

things started so well (first loving post haha)

Leal posted:

And coworkers... Well don't get me wrong I love my coworkers, but t

BUT DIDN'T LAST

Leal posted:

Just loving push taco day back a day and eat something else tonight, gently caress :argh:

beginning

Leal posted:

Was tasked with checking under basedecks to find any product that was thrown under them and found this

Besides the back being a bit dirty, its a pristine mid 1999 to end of 2000 calendar of the Backstreet Boys. This thing is almost old enough to drive. I think I'll be buying it when we get the UPC into the system

end

Leal posted:

I bought it

Leal Acquaints Himself With The Good Folk

Leal posted:

People who want to come in at 3 am and bitch that the department isn't up to par: :vd:

Leal posted:

Every day I'm astounded by the dumb questions I'm asked but last night had to have the worst question asked: How do I pick out corn?

.... You pull off the husks and look at it. Is this white corn white? Are the kernels not damaged? OK, then its good. Not exactly the hardest thing to do.

Leal posted:

A combined China and Russia invasion of the US can happen tomorrow and you'll still have Karen walking her kids through crossfire to demand they use the bathroom.

Leal posted:

A few days ago a customer bitched to me and a few other coworkers, saying that there is like 20 people standing around and not one of us will help her.

The look on her face when we said we aren't working for the store and just remodeling was priceless.

Also I think I'm losing my kind personality when I sighed at a customer and said "I'm wearing a blue vest. The gently caress do the cashiers wear? A green shirt. Does my vest even SAY Kragens on it?" after being bitched at for the nth time. Thankfully the worst that can happen to me when a customer complains is a stern talking to by the store manager, which I can just ignore cause he isn't my boss.

Leal posted:

While signing the vendor log I overheard some employees talking about a woman who brought in a receipt and a box of shoes... into a best buy.

"Ma'am, this is Best Buy"
"So?"
"... We are an electronics store"
"So?"
".......We don't sell shoes"
"Oh I should go to REI instead :haw:"

the warehouse totally did not let you down

you worked in a literal disaster area, apparently

Leal posted:

Man don't I miss working mornings

Wait no I loving don't

Leal posted:

IT'S

MAY

loving

THIRTIETH

Leal posted:

It's my friday!

literally the worst smell

Leal posted:

Rotten. Watermelons.

Rotten limes? Rotten onions? Rotten cilantro? Cabbage, oranges, apples, bananas, garlic? Aint got poo poo on rotten watermelons. And not only are they ghastly to smell, their slushy flesh like innards spilling out like a caved in head :barf:

You've never seen true disgust when you go to lift a rotten watermelon out and have the flesh slush out and the rind deflate like a football with a hole in it.

and definitely an event that will echo in the halls of retail legend until ragnarok

Leal posted:

2020 sucks, especially working in the retail space

So its only appropriate that the year ends with a literal dumpster fire at work. I've learned that out of the 8 of us that were out there, only myself, the guy in the picture and the store director know how to use a fire extinguisher. Despite having a training packet we had to read and sign off on last month.

but check out this little dude

Leal posted:

Yesterday I started my shift and went to our trash area which is in an enclosed space outside of the store. I saw something dart out of the corner of my eye... then the sound of a kitten crying.

there were like 500 posts to chose from and i probably could have put most of them in here but i'd rather this be about the insane bullshit you dealt with and not the horrible bullshit you dealt with :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So big-wigs are coming to my Amazon FC in the morning to see the place and an experimental thing we've been working on. If all goes well the building will get a fat stack of cash to continue the development. Obviously this means the usual "Regional (or better) Boss is coming" smoke and mirrors that everyone who's ever worked in a retail will be familiar with. poo poo's getting cleaned up. Tape to mark areas of the floor that's years old is being scraped up and replaced. Lots of little projects are being done that if you ask the managers they'll go "Oh of course chances are the big boss won't see it!" while their body language screams "...but what if they do and it's my department that's blamed for not getting the engineering grant..." Night shift basically picks up where Days left off when we come in.

So of course tonight is the perfect shift for everything to hit the fan by having some major equipment schedule itself for emergency maintenance! :v:

At about 9 PM the big sorter for one of the pack departments goes down (not my sorter thankfully, that's still running or the entire building would be down). Maintenance takes about 15 minutes to open her up, find the issue, close her up and everything's running again. At least...for just long enough for everyone on the repair crew to get back to their normal duty stations across the building before it breaks again. Repeat 2 more times and they say "No, we're not doing this song and dance again, you all can wait while we fix this poo poo."

They don't get the sorter cleared until around 4 AM...and even then I only think they got it back on: by that point everyone else from that department had been divvied out to other departments for the night or sent home early. So there's no one left besides a skeleton crew of PA's (assistant managers) and a couple of people other departments could spare to even start trying to get everything cleaned up so day shift can hit the ground running.

In the meantime I'm sitting here with over 150 totes of work that I had to take off of the sorter because the department it was going to shut down. There's likely 2-3 times that on the other end of the router (I didn't check but I know they were downstacking there). I asked one of the PA's how likely this mess was to get cleaned up before the VIPs showed up and we just shared a laugh as we're both old, bitter veterans of this warehouse.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Knight posted:

welp here's a greatest hits post so you never forget the fun you had.

things started so well (first loving post haha)

BUT DIDN'T LAST

beginning

end

Leal Acquaints Himself With The Good Folk

the warehouse totally did not let you down

you worked in a literal disaster area, apparently

literally the worst smell

and definitely an event that will echo in the halls of retail legend until ragnarok

but check out this little dude

there were like 500 posts to chose from and i probably could have put most of them in here but i'd rather this be about the insane bullshit you dealt with and not the horrible bullshit you dealt with :v:

This is a great tribute post, both well deserved for Leal and nice work on the post.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm working all seven days this week. We have two clerks at my post office on vacation at a time until Labor Day. A third clerk is on indefinite sick leave because of an injury he got while playing basketball and requires surgery.

I had a surprise day off given to me last Thursday because I going to get worked too many days in a row than I'm allowed to be. This Thursday I begin sales and services associate training for seven days. I get Saturday and Sunday off, making it my first Sunday off since I started working at my new post office in Pittsburgh. I'm not getting another Sunday off again unless I convert from a PSE (postal support employee) to PTF (part-time flexible) at an office that doesn't do Amazon Sundays or I quit.

Postal work weeks run Saturday to Friday. Sunday I had to remain at the office for so long that I rolled into overtime (we get overtime for any time worked over eight hours in one tour) and got a few minutes of penalty overtime (I get paid double and it starts at any time worked over ten hours in one tour or fifty-six hours in one work week). My training days are each eight-hour days. I'm probably getting fifteen hours of overtime this week and I'm just so fuckin exhausted.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Also, I've thought about writing up an effort post on how to get a job in the United States Postal Service and what the different crafts are for anyone curious about it. Maybe tomorrow evening.

Just imagine what working for the United States government, but with all the drama of any retail location, and you only kinda sorta are a federal employee.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Duckman2008 posted:

This is a great tribute post, both well deserved for Leal and nice work on the post.

:kiddo:

i try to do it with everyone who's getting out of retail, but i don't always catch when people get new jobs/quit. it's a great way to remind someone of that one time a customer gave them advice on how best to masturbate or assassinate someone or whatever :v:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 20, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Star Man posted:

Also, I've thought about writing up an effort post on how to get a job in the United States Postal Service and what the different crafts are for anyone curious about it. Maybe tomorrow evening.

Just imagine what working for the United States government, but with all the drama of any retail location, and you only kinda sorta are a federal employee.

i have this sneaking suspicion that grocery stores are closer to death than people are leading on, so it would be nice to have an idea about options that are out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rainbow Knight posted:

i have this sneaking suspicion that grocery stores are closer to death than people are leading on, so it would be nice to have an idea about options that are out there.

I will never hesitate to say that I absolutely hate my fuckin job and am tired all the time because of it. I want to quit this mother fucker every day because of how exhausting it is and the instability of being non-career. I applied only because I needed a job, because my long-term substitute teaching job at Job Corps was ending. The pandemic, the particularites of my personal situation in life, and the eccentricities of my office gave me the opportuniy to pay off everything I owed that isn't student debt in eight months because of all the overtime I worked. It also provided me an opportunity to finally leave Wyoming with a job effectively guaranteed for me to wherever wanted to go once I had enough money saved up to move.

Now that I'm in Pittsburgh, I'm finally in a place that other jobs in public service exist and in a high enough quantity that I can apply for them regularly. I'm trying to get a full-time job in either federal government or in higher ed so I can start working towards public service loan forgiveness.

I also have no qualms with being a postal worker for the rest of my working life. Reaching full-time status is just a matter of waiting long enough for an opening to become available either at my assigned office through promotion or transferring into one once I'm a PTF. Turnover is high and in a densely populated area it's not hard to convert from non-career to part-time flexible and become career-tract. Being a postal worker beats the ever living poo poo out of every retail job I've ever had just in wages alone and the postal unions (there's four of them) make it impossible to fire employees without cause. If I get overtime, I'm paid it without question. I'm not made to cross crafts or do work that I was not hired for. It gets less worse once you move up, but which office you're at and what you do determine a lot of that. But I'd rather have a pencil pusher job at some government agency.