Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Someone make a dang ole small game

ok i will tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I know who the best Mafia player is but I won't say

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

ok i will tomorrow
launching a signup thread tonight

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

launching a signup thread tonight

ok but join discord for my game

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. Steak posted:

ok but join discord for my game

too role wacky for me im sorry steak

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oh i signed up and forgot i did that

i will play. ive joined your discord.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seeking 1 replacement for my game.

6 hours into day 2
17 pages of posts
15 players alive

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973077

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mr. Steak posted:

seeking 1 replacement for my game.

6 hours into day 2
17 pages of posts
15 players alive

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973077

I'll do it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
[Mafia] Space Jam: A New Legacy, a game for 23 players, is now open for sign ups.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

All of you assholes need to look at posting games of a reasonable size, I have the itch but I'm not joining these larger games.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Whenever we have space for a new game, I think I’m going to put together a 13 person game themed after Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn. Anyone that would be willing to take a look at my setup?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Grandicap posted:

All of you assholes need to look at posting games of a reasonable size, I have the itch but I'm not joining these larger games.

I can design a role for you that lets you ignore ten players.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Whenever we have space for a new game, I think I’m going to put together a 13 person game themed after Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn. Anyone that would be willing to take a look at my setup?

Presign. I call Marsh.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Grandicap posted:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
what do y'all think of as a "reasonable" size? nine?

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Mordiceius posted:

I'm happy to help but would rather play so there's always another secret.

If no one else volunteers lemme know

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Grandicap posted:

Presign. I call Marsh.

Dibs on Ham. Gotta love the battle-tester philosopher types.....

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Epsilon Plus posted:

13-15 is the sweet spot imo

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My Mistborn game will probably be a simple 13man game. Though someday, I want to run a big 25man game involving spying and great house politics.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Epsilon Plus posted:

Philip J. Fry posted:

13-15 is the sweet spot imo

Fry is correct.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Hrm, I have some ideas I wanna try again. I could run a 13-man when Steak's game ends/when I die in it (I don't like modding a game while I play in case I let something slip on either end)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hilariously, votefinder classifies 15-player games as "mini", and 16 player games as "large".

hell if that ain't the truest thing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thirteeeeeeen, it’s the magic number. Yeah it~is~, it’s the magic number

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

Eleven is typically the lowest I consider for my setups, and 17-18 the highest. More than that I start having to worry about multiple people lurking because of the volume of posting.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Mr. Steak posted:

hilariously, votefinder classifies 15-player games as "mini", and 16 player games as "large".

hell if that ain't the truest thing.

15 players and a stump is the only medium mafia game

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Humalong posted:

Eleven is typically the lowest I consider for my setups, and 17-18 the highest. More than that I start having to worry about multiple people lurking because of the volume of posting.

yea I don't think I'm going to join any more big games, I get overwhelmed and end up ducking out a few days in.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there is nothing wrong with smaller games that only have 2-3 scum. i think they wind up way more fun than long drawn out affairs where everyone just wants the game to be over

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

STONE COLD 64 posted:

there is nothing wrong with smaller games that only have 2-3 scum. i think they wind up way more fun than long drawn out affairs where everyone just wants the game to be over

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Larger games need to have a significant number of killing roles compared to a lesser number of preventative roles in order to keep moving at a good pace. The killing roles naturally weed each other out a bit and cut down on the possible deaths in a night as the game goes on, providing a good number of nights for investigative and preventative actions to have days to work with while also getting the game down to a reasonably smaller number in significantly less time.

I’ve found the ideal game length about 5 days

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Yup. 13 is like the max people game I will play. I am incapable of mentally balancing everything else in life and still keeping up with the game if it's larger. We used to run those a lot here, and rarely big games.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
50 player soldier games are the sweet spot.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

CapitalistPig posted:

50 player soldier games are the sweet spot.

Do we have anyone planning a soldier game for the end of the year?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Due to slow sign ups, Space Jam: A New Legacy may go down to 15 players. If you desire to play at that 15 player number, please go to the thread.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Did Hal disappear into thin air after his 500th game? Was this the plan all along?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kashuno posted:

Larger games need to have a significant number of killing roles compared to a lesser number of preventative roles in order to keep moving at a good pace. The killing roles naturally weed each other out a bit and cut down on the possible deaths in a night as the game goes on, providing a good number of nights for investigative and preventative actions to have days to work with while also getting the game down to a reasonably smaller number in significantly less time.

I’ve found the ideal game length about 5 days

This is roughly my experience as well, though I'd add that bigger games tend to require some kind of safety valve to prevent all the killing roles from hitting one another immediately and dragging the game out for far too long.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grandicap posted:

Did Hal disappear into thin air after his 500th game? Was this the plan all along?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

merk posted:

Due to slow sign ups, Space Jam: A New Legacy may go down to 15 players. If you desire to play at that 15 player number, please go to the thread.

I want to play but I just started a new job and I don't want to let the game down. I'll keep checking on the game and if it turns out you can't get enough people I'll play.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opop Jr played a Mafia like game at his day camp today. It begins

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Retro Futurist posted:

Opop Jr played a Mafia like game at his day camp today. It begins

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU