Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No idea where I got that from then, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
If they gently caress up the mcu Thing, the entire FF movie will fall apart. That rocky boy is marvels soul

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Give me the corny “60s Super-Science of Tomorrow!” FF we deserve. :argh:

It’s still kind of amazing that the best FF film remains the zero-budget entry that couldn’t even bother with ADR’ing Doom and was never meant to be seen. It’s not even a close contest.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Arist posted:

I very distinctly remember a scene where you see Reed gently caress with his face using his stretching powers, but I cannot find any evidence of this happening now that I'm checking and I feel like I'm losing my mind

Maybe you’re remembering the better movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Rd8x4z-e0

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Give me the corny “60s Super-Science of Tomorrow!” FF we deserve. :argh:

It’s still kind of amazing that the best FF film remains the zero-budget entry that couldn’t even bother with ADR’ing Doom and was never meant to be seen. It’s not even a close contest.

The best FF movie so far was The Incredibles

Just make a movie with that vibe, set in the 60s.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nah, set it modern day. Doom is now a Bezos or Brandson type, and the crew is the FF.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The FF as the low level scientists whose work is stolen by the techbro ceo who is really into magic and mysticism

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Though I feel like Doom would just make his beard-shaving amulet himself

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In my head Doom is Putin in the MCU. Say Latveria was a small, obscure nation neighboring Sokovia, and a charismatic young monarch took advantage of that situation as well as the vacuum then left by the snap to annex the land, and also was able to get all the Ultron tech there to work, adapting it into an army of robots he gave his own face to keep control and secure the borders.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Honestly I wouldn't put it past them to do Doom as the upstart ruler of New Sokovia. Using sorcery and supertech to accelerate the recovery process earns him the undying loyalty of the surviving populace, he's got an easy target to paint on superhero backs for "not doing enough during the Ultron event." Heck, we know Sokovia had baronies at the least, so it having a monarchical structure and Doom being in the line of succession would just make sense.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
thunderbolts: zemo vs doom

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theironjef posted:

Honestly I wouldn't put it past them to do Doom as the upstart ruler of New Sokovia. Using sorcery and supertech to accelerate the recovery process earns him the undying loyalty of the surviving populace, he's got an easy target to paint on superhero backs for "not doing enough during the Ultron event." Heck, we know Sokovia had baronies at the least, so it having a monarchical structure and Doom being in the line of succession would just make sense.
It would make a lot of sense to have Doom in Sokovia instead of Latveria, since Sokovia has already factored in so much to the MCU now

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just got back from seeing Black Widow. My non-spoiler thoughts are that it was better than I thought it would be (which I think is due to the very strong cast), and that this version of Taskmaster suuuucked.

Spoiler thoughts-

-I almost groaned outloud in the theater when they started to play the slow cover of 'Smells like Teen Spirit'. Just a very bad decision, especially since it's over footage of girls being abducted and brainwashed into becoming assassins.

Could be worse. Could have been the original.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why are people so up in arms over the cover?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

Because it was goddamn interminable

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rhyno posted:

Because it sucks

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Because slow sad girl covers of upbeat songs in movies and video games is a horribly overused cliche in 2021.

E: Here's a list of thirty of them-

https://screencrush.com/movie-trailers-sad-covers/

https://screencrush.com/more-trailers-with-sad-cover-songs/

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

theironjef posted:

Or have Latveria and Sokovia be neighbors and Doom decides to "help" Sokovia by turning it into a puppet state or outright annexing it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Because it sucks

Everything sucks.

I've seen some people getting really loving weird about it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

MH Knights posted:

Or have Latveria and Sokovia be neighbors and Doom decides to "help" Sokovia by turning it into a puppet state or outright annexing it.

Zemo already stated something like how Sokovia got ravaged by neighbor countries/other countries after the Age of Ultron events. Latveria being one of those countries makes sense.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

It would make a lot of sense to have Doom in Sokovia instead of Latveria, since Sokovia has already factored in so much to the MCU now

I feel like they might want to stray away from everything somehow tying back to Sokovia. Then again, the MCU has no problem tying basically 80% of Spider-Man to Tony Stark so what do I know?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My idea for Doom when Boseman was still around was to introduce him in Black Panther 2 as a political peer to T'Challa. Another young ruler. Wakanda is rich and advanced, Latveria is poor and in need. Doom plays that angle asking for tech to help hem and T'challa is sympathetic. Of course over time we learn more about him, how he came to power, and what his ambitions are. So he's already established as a character and villain before he puts on armor. I wouldn't have even made him the villain of the Fantastic Four movie. I'd just have him there trying to get Reed's tech the same as Wakanda's and then introduce his armor in the mid credit scene or something.

I thought it was a nice fit, a fun little nod to Black Panther/Fantastic Four and better than just rushing Doom. He's worthy of being a bigger villain. Now with BP's future so in the air I have no idea but I'd still like to see something along those lines. Maybe even have him pop up in Strange 2 to tease his magical interests (especially if you play the Sokovia/Wanda angle).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vince MechMahon posted:

In my head Doom is Putin in the MCU. Say Latveria was a small, obscure nation neighboring Sokovia, and a charismatic young monarch took advantage of that situation as well as the vacuum then left by the snap to annex the land, and also was able to get all the Ultron tech there to work, adapting it into an army of robots he gave his own face to keep control and secure the borders.

So doom is a product of the American empire's destruction and exploitation of Europe. :hmmyes:

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 18, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

They will inadvertently make doom a hero like they did to zemo, but have to make him do something "bad" because corporate liberal feudalism is the only way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

People think the song's untouchable given the circumstances (but the guy who wrote it hated it.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't care about the song itself or the fact that there is a cover. I just think it was an awkward fit given the context that felt like it was trying to capture the time period more than the stuff on screen. It was too on the nose in the way that seems very common lately like with Snyder using Zombie.

I don't think its a big deal. Its early and quick and I forgot about it 15 minutes later. But it was silly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

My idea for Doom when Boseman was still around was to introduce him in Black Panther 2 as a political peer to T'Challa. Another young ruler. Wakanda is rich and advanced, Latveria is poor and in need. Doom plays that angle asking for tech to help hem and T'challa is sympathetic. Of course over time we learn more about him, how he came to power, and what his ambitions are. So he's already established as a character and villain before he puts on armor. I wouldn't have even made him the villain of the Fantastic Four movie. I'd just have him there trying to get Reed's tech the same as Wakanda's and then introduce his armor in the mid credit scene or something.

I thought it was a nice fit, a fun little nod to Black Panther/Fantastic Four and better than just rushing Doom. He's worthy of being a bigger villain. Now with BP's future so in the air I have no idea but I'd still like to see something along those lines. Maybe even have him pop up in Strange 2 to tease his magical interests (especially if you play the Sokovia/Wanda angle).

The rumour is that Namor's basically filling that role in the new one, playing off the Atlantis/Wakanda conflicts from the last decade or so of comics.

I do like the idea of Doom's emergence on the world stage being annexing Sokovia. The impression I get is that Sokovia's meant to be around where Czechoslovakia or Hungary is. Hence a western Germanic part where Zemo's from, and an eastern more Slavic side where the Maximoffs were.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

For the love of god stop setting things in the 60s I am so tired of that boomer-rear end fiction of a decade

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Make doom the leader of a carribbean country that has had decades of relative prosperity in the face of adversity, but because 60 years ago an older leader kicked out the oppressors and slavers doom is bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

People think the song's untouchable given the circumstances (but the guy who wrote it hated it.)

So did the guy that listened to it. (I'm that guy)

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
To be honest, I usually can't stand those whispery wistful sad girl covers that appear in every movie/trailer/TV show nowadays but that one didn't bother me, I thought it was fine.

The Zombie cover in Army of the Dead was way worse in my opinion because not only was it horrible and a bit on the nose, the original would have worked just as good if not better. Like they went out of their way to be corny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Make doom the leader of a carribbean country that has had decades of relative prosperity in the face of adversity, but because 60 years ago an older leader kicked out the oppressors and slavers doom is bad.

You are trying really hard to get preemptively angry about the idea that a murderous dictator who actively does horrifying things and has tried to take over or destroy the entire universe of multiple occasions might in fact be a bad person. American Bad doesn't mean you have to stan for the dude who was perfectly fine with total atrocities.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

You are trying really hard to get preemptively angry about the idea that a murderous dictator who actively does horrifying things and has tried to take over or destroy the entire universe of multiple occasions might in fact be a bad person. American Bad doesn't mean you have to stan for the dude who was perfectly fine with total atrocities.

I think they're making an America Bad about Cuba actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

I think they're making an America Bad about Cuba actually.

No, they are basically going "Actually Dr. Doom is basically Cuba right??" which is immensely offensive on like nine different levels.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

As it stands Doom would be the result of a post snap power vacuum which would be retreading ground covered by the flag smashers or sokovia which is retreading Zemo.

Doom would be more analogous to Erdoğan or MBS with an Iron Man suit.

If you want to get real spicy Doom could be the latest in the line of "government in exile" type with ambitions of reconquerering their homeland like the Republic of China or whatever is claiming Iran at the moment.

Edit: it is hard for me to imagine a Doom running around the current MCU that isn't the direct result of the black ops poo poo the avengers do.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 19, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Should have used a slow, sad version of "Hallelujah" imo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Movie Doom ≠ Comic Doom. The character does not exist.

My speculation of what Doom can or could be is no different from speculating he is a Putin or Bezos type.

You need to chill out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Should have used a slow, sad version of "Hallelujah" imo.

Should have been Radioactive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If they want to do a more sympathetic Doom you do the thing the ultimate version does where he starts out as the organizer of a tent community of poor and discriminated against people that eventually runs a revolution and in the process becomes everything he hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

If they want to do a more sympathetic Doom you do the thing the ultimate version does where he starts out as the organizer of a tent community of poor and discriminated against people that eventually runs a revolution and in the process becomes everything he hated.

Yeah but then gets horse legs and that was dumb as poo poo.