Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Akuma posted:

The summons make it worse because the health they increase is much greater than the damage they do, and they stop you being able to parry effectively.

IME, the summons are 50/50. They absolutely can put a dent in the fight and help out tremendously, but like a lot of other summons they can also get trapped in a corner and stunlocked to death and do gently caress all.

Also if we're talking cheese, there's a specific ledge behind two stalagmites that their AI cannot deal with very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Despite DS2 being my favourite of the trilogy I only ever finished the first DLC, I stopped playing it before the second came out and just never felt like going back. With SotFS I poked at the other two a bit but never finished them.

Last night I decided to go back to my old save from 2017 or something and finish it up, and this morning got the crown and queens soul from Brume Tower... The NPC summons pretty well trivialise both Fume Knight and Alonne IMO, expected them to be far more tricky than they were in the end.

I'd rather that then have the flipping straight up bullshit Squalid Queen fight tho.

John Murdoch posted:

Also if we're talking cheese, there's a specific ledge behind two stalagmites that their AI cannot deal with very well.
Yes and using a whip you can do a particular attack that hits them through the "wall" there. It's still very easy to gently caress it up but it makes it a lot easier, shamefully.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ivorky king is goat fam

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Akuma posted:

The NPC summons pretty well trivialise both Fume Knight and Alonne IMO, expected them to be far more tricky than they were in the end.

:psyduck: This is...very much not my experience with summoning for those fights.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Akuma posted:

I'd rather that then have the flipping straight up bullshit Squalid Queen fight tho.

You know, I just managed to get through this one today. After endlessly wading through Dragon's sanctum I had some guy show me that there's a hidden bonfire near the boss door there... but I couldn't find any summons anyway, so I just had the two NPC's to help me. It didn't help that she seemed to be very resistant towards my miracles/lightning infused heide sword so the fight was a bit of a mess especially when she summoned the big guy.

My respite was short lived though because the NEXT boss seems like even more bullshit with poison everywhere, flying all over the place and weapon breaking from hitting it. And resistant towards lightning as well.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

One of the worst things they did with the DLCs is over adjust for how strong magic is in the rest of the game and turn it into an absolutely painful experience.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

:psyduck: This is...very much not my experience with summoning for those fights.
For Alonne they both died my first try when he was at about ½ health but that was after doing the whole area with them - the second (successful) try I just ran past everything and they did, too, so they had full healing for the boss. One of them died when he was at about 10% health and we duod him to death.

For Fume you just have to be right up his butt the entire time doing good damage or they die by the time he's at about ⅓ health left.

In my very limited experience of beating Fume in 3 tries and Alonne in 2!

Rubellavator posted:

One of the worst things they did with the DLCs is over adjust for how strong magic is in the rest of the game and turn it into an absolutely painful experience.
This is what kept me from finishing them until this time when I respecced from magic to dex as I was starting them.

Edit: oh I forgot to mention Maldron the Assassin is a real piece of poo poo

Akuma fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 18, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Akuma posted:

For Alonne they both died my first try when he was at about ½ health but that was after doing the whole area with them - the second (successful) try I just ran past everything and they did, too, so they had full healing for the boss. One of them died when he was at about 10% health and we duod him to death.

For Fume you just have to be right up his butt the entire time doing good damage or they die by the time he's at about ⅓ health left.

In my very limited experience of beating Fume in 3 tries and Alonne in 2!

Maybe not rushing through the area was part of my problem, but it wouldn't really change how they loved to bunch up and stand right in the way of his big charges and both eat poo poo simultaneously over and over, negating the advantage of having 2 NPCs. Basically they turned into defacto meat shields and turned the whole thing into a really dumb damage race. Allegedly they're not even statted correctly for their gear or somesuch.

With Fume it probably doesn't help that I've never had a character smart enough to talk to Carhillion, so I've only ever approached the fight with Ellie and she is my go-to example of a frustratingly unreliable NPC. Absolute champion of getting trapped in a corner and/or being too stupid to avoid the boss's giant fuckoff AoE. People have claimed she's better in the Aava fight with her pyormancies but I've yet to see her pull off anything there either.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Ivorky king is goat fam
Wooooow that gauntlet of dudes before Burnt Ivory King sure is something, eh? I did it once by myself and got his health quite far down and died, then summoned two players and one of them was amazing and we did it.

Then I got killed by some hedgehogs.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Don't worry, eventually you'll get so good at the game that you'll repeatedly die to instant death pits instead

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

those loving hedgehogs

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Those Sonics in Eleum Loyce are the true successors to the Bonewheels.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Those first three you encounter after taking the elevator give me anxiety.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Draga posted:

Those Sonics in Eleum Loyce are the true successors to the Bonewheels.

Been saying this

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Mobs disappearing after you've killed them a number of times is an interesting, if somewhat condescending, mechanic.

"Aw, you seem to be having trouble with this bit, sweetie. Would you like some help?"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Mobs disappearing after you've killed them a number of times is an interesting, if somewhat condescending, mechanic.

"Aw, you seem to be having trouble with this bit, sweetie. Would you like some help?"

I feel like it's counterbalanced by the game having what is bar none the most brutal penalty for repeated deaths in the series. Max Hollowing gives you all the durability of muslin, especially considering that the Estus Flask and Lifegems both take a bit to give out their healing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Vermain posted:

I feel like it's counterbalanced by the game having what is bar none the most brutal penalty for repeated deaths in the series. Max Hollowing gives you all the durability of muslin, especially considering that the Estus Flask and Lifegems both take a bit to give out their healing.

Honestly, I find the slow healing more annoying than the loss of HP to hollowing.

I feel like that goony dude with the knife and the 121 ft rule could a blow or two in before loving healing kicks in sometimes.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Akuma posted:

Edit: oh I forgot to mention Maldron the Assassin is a real piece of poo poo

Either you dash down the stairs before him and hipe that he clowns off the edge and plummets to his death, or do the easy thing and pop a seed of a giant tree when he runs down the stairs.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

Either you dash down the stairs before him and hipe that he clowns off the edge and plummets to his death, or do the easy thing and pop a seed of a giant tree when he runs down the stairs.
Oh fuuuuuck I NEVER think to do this with AI invaders. That would have been considerably easier. Lance-wielding gently caress.

Oh and I just read I have him to look forward to in Eleum Loyce somewhere, too? Fantastic.

Speaking of Eleum Loyce it's weird that it's still going... the Burnt Ivory King really felt like the end...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vermain posted:

At least it takes repeated deaths, unlike Demon's Souls.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For Fume Knight I use either the Estoc (STR build) or Rapier (Dex). These two weapons are the only that get me in the dodge-poke groove for him. Anything slower and I get ganked. Alonne at the other hand is slash weapons (axes or curved swords). I don't know why but it may be my weapon swing timing + their timing that forces me to use them. On a dark sorcery character, I ended using the Estoc for Fume and a raw battle axe for Alonne. Don't ask me why but my brain is wired like that for these two.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Akuma posted:

Speaking of Eleum Loyce it's weird that it's still going... the Burnt Ivory King really felt like the end...

He is. :v: The main point of exploring Eleum Loyce is to gather the missing Loyce Knights to make the Ivory King fight easier. You're not necessarily meant to immediately jump down and fight him the second you reach the cathedral.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

He is. :v: The main point of exploring Eleum Loyce is to gather the missing Loyce Knights to make the Ivory King fight easier. You're not necessarily meant to immediately jump down and fight him the second you reach the cathedral.
Oh for fucks sake

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

At the other hand, my first time was going right directly after entering the DLC so I didn't fight the single cat at first and let me wondering where the hell the boss fights were. I did the whole thing twice before finding the Cathedral :doh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, you have to go that way at first anyway unless you want to fight invisible Aava for some reason.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah I know but as I said, I did the other way twice and didn't notice the fog wall at all. Like it's drat obvious and still missed it :v:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After the first DLC, the second one (Brume tower) has felt quite a bit easier, perhaps? Maybe it's just I don't like the maze-like structure as much. I still have the Gank Squad to kill, but I managed to make my way through the tower and beat the end boss with the help of one person (THC Abuser, thanks for joining for a good fight). Although I assume I still got stuff left to do here, I found an area called Iron Passage and haven't delved into that one at all.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

TeaJay posted:

After the first DLC, the second one (Brume tower) has felt quite a bit easier, perhaps? Maybe it's just I don't like the maze-like structure as much. I still have the Gank Squad to kill, but I managed to make my way through the tower and beat the end boss with the help of one person (THC Abuser, thanks for joining for a good fight). Although I assume I still got stuff left to do here, I found an area called Iron Passage and haven't delved into that one at all.

there's that one room which is really hard if you can't work out how to hit them all before dropping in, otherwise yeah I agree. The Brume tower bosses are way better than the first DLC though, Fume Knight felt like peak :darksouls: to me

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Been thinking about DS2 a lot. I have the taks this year of figuring out a top ten list of games played that includes DS1, DS2, DS3, DeS and Sekiro.

DS2 I think is the best of the Dark Souls trilogy. I keep thinking about all three and when I think about my high points, the high points I obtained in DS2 were the highest of the three. I have all these wonderful happy moments that I can recall instantly, fewer with DS3 and very few with DS1. This is not to say I dislike the other two because I love them all so much. It is just so tough to organise 5 of the greatest games ever. Any one of them could have been the game of the year without question. :)

Some of my most favourite things about this one:

- Great club powerstancing.
- Pate.
- Burnt Ivory King, Pursuer, Sinh
- Being invaded for an entire Sunday by the same person and the resulting back and forths we had that included, being taught how to change into items and staging an impromptu prop hunt, battling each other with only shields, being gifted something every time I died and eventually discovering I was being watched on stream and my invader cheering me on as I beat the game.
- The areas of the DLC.
- Esmerelda's bear, seek seek lest.
- Pharros Lockstone mechanics
- Iron Keep and the elevator
- Lucatiel and her whole storyline.
- The overarching idea behind the game and the fear of memory
- Beating the Darklurker.

There is so much about this game I properly adore and the more I think about it, the more I have to place it at the top of the Dark Souls trilogy. :)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TeaJay posted:

If you're talking about Fume Knight, he's not the final boss of Brume Tower. :ssh: Iron Passage is the Brume equivalent of Cave of the Dead, co-op oriented but soloable gauntlet with a boss at the end.

I go back and forth on Shulva vs. Brume. I like that the former is one big Zelda dungeon (and is seemingly a callback to Shadow Tower), but it has some really clear flaws, particularly towards the end where the pacing gets all hosed up. Brume is more evenly paced and generally more direct, but I hate a lot of the moment to moment gameplay. It has the easiest basic mook enemy type of the three DLCs and then everything else exists to be a pain in the rear end (or just strange and boring - the explodey guys). Also maybe could've used a few less side paths that only exist for the sake of a single item. Basically by the time I make it to Fume Knight I'm exhausted and then my reward is two of the harder bosses back to back.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 19, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, that's the guy. He's the only boss I've found so far and I got the crown after beating him, so I thought in that sense he's the "final boss". But I'm gonna keep going to see if I can find others.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah they switch things up on you and you get the crown early (so you can also bail whenever you like :v:), though there is a logic to why.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is the only way to make the corpse run to Sir Alonne to kill the enemies on the way until they don't spawn anymore?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Nah you can do it without despawning everything, but it's a little harder. I usually just despawn everything anyway cuz it's easy and hey, free souls. It does get tedious if you do it that way though

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The only things I have to consistently despawn are the rats outside McDuff and the guy on the bridge (you know exactly which one). The Alonne run used to be tricky but not impossible, but I havent done it in SOTFS without killing everything on the way

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Never used the braced knuckle ring (using the normal one still) and I can really notice that it helps with Old Whip degradation. At the other hand I noticed that the normal whip has "only" 10 more durability but degrades much slower even hitting the same unarmored targets, and doesn't wear as fast hitting armored ones too. I guess I'll be an Indiana Jones hoarder and try to get more.

If I don't remember it wrong, notched whip was on huntsman copse (bleed) and there was another that dropped from the guys leading to the chariot.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah, there's the Bloodied Whip you have to farm from the dudes before Purgatory (it's good! Bread and butter whip), you can get a second Notched +7 in Shulva without having to fight anything, and later there's the Spotted Whip.

Old really is coded to degrade crazy fast. But the damage!

I rec powerstanced Notched bleed build btw. It's fun! Get the bleed armlet from the assassins and wear the blood ring to round it out.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So let's whip dat rear end then! If I end despawning the guys that drop the Bloodied Whip I'll just join CoC. I made some calculations on a character planner and I guess that the Bloodied Whip outclasses the normal whip's scaling by having way higher base damage (plus 60 durability vs 50!).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybmDX3hib04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

TeaJay posted:

Is the only way to make the corpse run to Sir Alonne to kill the enemies on the way until they don't spawn anymore?

Try rolling