Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

ryanrs posted:

I do not believe this is true. You don't lose insurance coverage because of expired tags.

This depends on the jurisdiction. Overall, though, the plan should be to get insurance, then get temporary tags so you can drive to the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I bet the DMV will want back registration and penalties, perhaps even before issuing a temp tag.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ryanrs posted:

I bet the DMV will want back registration and penalties, perhaps even before issuing a temp tag.

That's pretty much a california thing. This is a completely different state.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Really? That must be nice.

Non-Californians: In CA if you don't want to register your car (race car, long term project, w/e), you have to register your non-registration at the DMV and pay a fee (smaller than the registration fee, though). I am absolutely not making this up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Are AGM batteries worth it?

I've got a 2016 Subaru Legacy (2.5L H4) that *came* with a standard flooded cell that's now 5 1/2 years old and while still testing "good," I feel the need to change it imminently because I know my luck's going to run out sooner rather than later. The reason I'm asking about AGM batteries is 1) I kinda like the idea of a battery that might last another 5 1/2 years (and the one I'm looking at has a 48 month warranty that I could extend to 72 with the Costco Citi warranty extension), and 2) I'm looking into putting in a hard-wired dashcam soon and I figure an AGM might handle nighttime motion sensing captures (a parasitic drain) better than an "OG" battery.

I'm not looking into Optimas because I've heard their quality's taken a nosedive over the past few years.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 19, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Optimas are fine (I have a post-supposed nosedive redtop that I have killed killed 10+ times that still charges right back up and is fine, everybody I know who off roads uses them), I’m not sure that AGM will really make any difference directly for lasting longer with a dash cam on them, though if you get a deep cycle AGM, you may see some benefit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ryanrs posted:

Non-Californians: In CA if you don't want to register your car (race car, long term project, w/e), you have to register your non-registration at the DMV and pay a fee (smaller than the registration fee, though). I am absolutely not making this up.

Ah, but don't forget the best part: if you don't register your non-registered vehicle, the DMV assumes you were driving it illegally anyway, and the next time you go to register it you have to pay all the back fees and penalties for the years you went without registration or PNO ("planned non-operation") status.

The DMV doesn't care who let the registration lapse; the fees are owed by anyone who wants to register the car in their name. So it is very common in California for barn finds to have several thousand dollars owed in back registration fees, even though the car might be worth a tenth of that and literally has been sitting in a barn for twenty years. A+

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Could you potentially register it in a neighboring state to get around that?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

ryanrs posted:

This year it's $23 for planned non-operation, compared to $323 for renewing my car.

Sweden's gotten to the point where you can de-register/re-register your car for road taxes with day granularity. There's even an official app you can use to switch the car's status - my dad does this for their motorhome when they're not going to use it for a couple weeks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had to pay a whole years fee and only got the remaining months when I reactivated a car in California. That was stupid.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

I have a 2012 GTI.

Recently the ABS, Steering, Airbag, and tire pressure (blinking) lights came on at the same time (all yellow, no red). Front panel says Fault: Stabilization control and Error: Airbag. Car doesn’t feel any different while driving.

From my researching this is possibly a speed sensor or a wheel bearing failure. Tried going to Advance Auto Parts to read the codes to verify but apparently the free scanners they lend you only do check engine lights.

Can I get suggestions of midrange code readers to buy? Trying to look online and it’s not clear what will read what I need it to and not require some subscription to do it or cost $400. There’s also a ton of manufacturers and I don’t know what’s considered good.

I don’t know the VW side of it, but I’ve been VERY impressed using the android app “deep OBD for VAG and BMW” (GitHub link, I downloaded from google play store) with the cheapest Amazon bluetooth dealie for my BMW, it definitely wasn’t intuitive to set up, but after an hour or so fiddling with it, I have access to everything that the older dealership software (INPA) could do, including activating fans, modules, and the like.

Highly recommended, and free.

E: looks like the VAG side of it is still experimental, and somewhat limited, but for pulling manufacturer specific codes, you might still be in luck.

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 19, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Continuous vigorous bubbling from the overflow tank *from cold" is definitely a blown head gasket right?

gently caress.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Could you potentially register it in a neighboring state to get around that?

Sorta yeah but what a pain in the rear end.

The farmtruck I run had a mid 4 figures in backfees due to it being unregistered for a decade. The (interim) PO took care of those, I bought the truck basically for the cost of those backfees.

Its sort of the states way of trying to rid old cars by making it precipitously expensive to return them to the roads.

luminalflux posted:

This year it's $23 for planned non-operation, compared to $323 for renewing my car.

Sweden's gotten to the point where you can de-register/re-register your car for road taxes with day granularity. There's even an official app you can use to switch the car's status - my dad does this for their motorhome when they're not going to use it for a couple weeks.

CA will let you do this to a degree with non-use filing, it can be done online. Thanks to 2020 I've had to do it to my motos twice now.
Costs? The farmtruck hovers around $350 for a 31 year old vehicle, its taxed on its unladen weight. Fine by me.

E:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Continuous vigorous bubbling from the overflow tank *from cold" is definitely a blown head gasket right?

gently caress.

You got it. Pressure test the cooling system while using a borescope if you really care.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 19, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Sorta yeah but what a pain in the rear end.
Especially because they're pretty aggressive about enforcing it - there are programs to get people to rat out other people who have their car registered somewhere else, and it's definitely a thing that will get questioned if you have a CA license and are driving a vehicle with out of state plates.

It's not entirely clear what the penalty is, but I can't imagine it's good.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

Especially because they're pretty aggressive about enforcing it - there are programs to get people to rat out other people who have their car registered somewhere else, and it's definitely a thing that will get questioned if you have a CA license and are driving a vehicle with out of state plates.

It's not entirely clear what the penalty is, but I can't imagine it's good.

I've never actually tried, the chp comes down pretty gnarly on people trying to skirt registration if its not a brand new amg... I have been the dumb kid to drive a car with a pile of fees outside of the one day permit which resulted in a huge rear end ticket + having to pay the backfees on the car though that was over a decade ago when everything was financially strapped and hurting for cash.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

I've never actually tried, the chp comes down pretty gnarly on people trying to skirt registration if its not a brand new amg... I have been the dumb kid to drive a car with a pile of fees outside of the one day permit which resulted in a huge rear end ticket + having to pay the backfees on the car though that was over a decade ago when everything was financially strapped and hurting for cash.

For whatever reason I was rolling around with expired tags on the Crosstrek for the better part of a 6 months around LA and never got stopped once.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Is riding the clutch in neutral bad for the clutch or just the throw out bearing? I'm trying to break the habit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just the throw-out bearing and arguably the springs. Best not to do it though, yeah

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Per my post 2 weeks ago about energy drain in my car, after I found that the battery was losing charge even when disconnected I tried to return the battery but they said it passed the charge test and wouldn't replace it.

I borrowed a car battery charger and found that the battery wouldn't charge past 50%, 2 days later it dropped down to 25%, after hooking it up and charging again it wouldn't go past 50%, and then dropping down again after sitting 2 more days. Took a week to do but with pictures of this I went back to oReilly's and was able to get a replacement. You guys were right, case solved. Fully expect I will still have a parasitic energy drain in my car but at least I know that the new battery was a new problem (I suspected because the drain was significantly worse than with my old battery.)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If everything is telling you it's one thing but an oreillys test is the lone evidence in opposition, the idiot definitely read or operated the machine wrong. I have spent weeks scrutinizing wiring based on their bullshit only to find out later the brand new 17 year old employee hooked up the test wrong

I'm sure it was a coincidence they were the party involved who held the warranty for the part in question

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Per my post 2 weeks ago about energy drain in my car, after I found that the battery was losing charge even when disconnected I tried to return the battery but they said it passed the charge test and wouldn't replace it.

I borrowed a car battery charger and found that the battery wouldn't charge past 50%, 2 days later it dropped down to 25%, after hooking it up and charging again it wouldn't go past 50%, and then dropping down again after sitting 2 more days. Took a week to do but with pictures of this I went back to oReilly's and was able to get a replacement. You guys were right, case solved. Fully expect I will still have a parasitic energy drain in my car but at least I know that the new battery was a new problem (I suspected because the drain was significantly worse than with my old battery.)

This is why you demand they put it on the carbon pile load tester (which takes 60+ minutes). Quick testers are bullshit. I've said this many times. If they say the battery is bad it's almost definitely right. If they say it's good it's loving meaningless.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

2015 Nissan Rogue, AWD, 2.5L.

Rear diff is howling like a banshee. Did these come with different gear ratios depending on options/year, or just the one? Told my neighbor I'd look into what it would take to swap it. At least it's rust-free, so if I wind up helping her out, it shouldn't be too bad (famous last words).

Just trying to help her limp it along until she can afford something better, this thing is very much on its last legs mechanically (CVT is starting to get sloppier than a CVT is supposed to be, tells knock-knock jokes for a moment on a cold start, throwing several codes, etc). It's set to 100% FWD right now, so at least there's no power going through it, but I wouldn't be shocked if it locks up the rear soon with the noises it's making (no crunching, but it sounds like it's running totally dry). If it's as simple as yanking the half shafts and swapping the center section, and they only had one gear ratio, then I'm probably game for swapping it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 20, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This is why I buy batteries from Costco.

"This battery I bought last week sucks"
"Dang, sorry. Grab a replacement and I'll switch them out"
I walk out with the new battery, no fuss.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Or from Autozone. The 3 stores around me will swap it for a new one, no questions asked, as long as the warranty is good

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I've been with Progressive for probably 4-5 years now,I was at fault for a minor fender bender, didn't damage my car so no claim there but the other guy had to get some body work done.

Anyways my new 6 month bill just came in and my rates went up 42% does that seem right? That seems absolutely insane, I've been driving for 16 years and this is my first accident and it shoots my rate up that much? Should I be looking to switch insurance companies or can I call them and argue?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have no idea how car insurance works in the US but when I had a similar accident I did some math and decided it was cheaper to just pay the €600 for the repair. My rates would have gone up enough to make it way more expensive in the long run to have insurance pay for it.

Luckily it's very easy to do the calculation because it's based on the number of years without causing any damage. In the US that calculation is probably some arcane magick.

In general it's better to pay for "small" repairs, if you can afford it at that time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's too late for that unfortunately. I was thinking it would go up a bit but not 42%, if I knew that I would have just paid out of pocket.

Insurance is such poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Shop around every time your policy is up for renewal, but ESPECIALLY when there's a rate increase.

Progressive can be pretty expensive. I've had them before, and I just quoted them again on a whim - they want $156/mo for me, when I'm currently paying <$100.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Yeah, there is no advantage to sticking with 1 insurance company. If you want to save money, shop around every year (and be prepared to hop around providers). They will use any excuse to raise your rates, the way to keep them honest is to play them against each other.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Should I just sell my car to a dealer? I've been trying to sell a 2014 Focus with 80k miles on AutoTrader and Craigslist. Trying to get KBB or a bit below. I have it listed at $7k.

Dealers have been offering $6k to $6.5K, so that sets a reasonable price floor.

I've had 0 interest from people. The only replies on either platform are dealers offering something in the range I listed, or standard Craigslist people who can't pass a Turing test.

NC, USA.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Popete posted:

Yeah it's too late for that unfortunately. I was thinking it would go up a bit but not 42%, if I knew that I would have just paid out of pocket.

Insurance is such poo poo.

It sucks because you have to trust people to pay out of pocket too. At my advanced age, if I got into a not-at-fault accident, I would probably file a claim with my insurance. It's just lovely for the at-fault person but it means I don't have to deal with potentially a ton of hassle. And it's literally part of what you pay your premiums for.

I moved a few miles in the same city and changing the address for my policy raised my rate by like 30%. :smith: I'm getting other quotes to switch now, and you should too.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 20, 2021

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dominoes posted:

Should I just sell my car to a dealer? I've been trying to sell a 2014 Focus with 80k miles on AutoTrader and Craigslist. Trying to get KBB or a bit below. I have it listed at $7k.

I've had 0 interest from people. The only replies on either platform are dealers offering something in the range I listed, or standard Craigslist people who can't pass a Turing test.

NC, USA.
Hows the transmission? I can't imagine buying a focus from that timeline. My moms 2013 focus has been off the road for 3 months now because it has the hosed dual clutch transmission and even though they upped the warranty to 10 years/150k miles the part shortage means it won't be on the road until next year sometime. It has 20k and already had one replacement clutch and will randomly pop into neutral while driving.

I'd take the 6.5k.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Popete posted:

I switched away from Progressive because they did a similar huge rate increase after my first year. The catch is, I didn't do anything. No crashes, claims, tickets.

You should shop around for car insurance every year or two, just to keep them honest(ish). Now I'm with esurance.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I was thinking, temperature extremes shorten battery lives don't they, so do cars with the batt in the trunk have longer lasting batteries than ones under the hood?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dominoes posted:

NC, USA.

Have you tried Carvana or Shift? They sometimes offer higher prices because they’re burning VC money to capture the market

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Crankit posted:

I was thinking, temperature extremes shorten battery lives don't they, so do cars with the batt in the trunk have longer lasting batteries than ones under the hood?

Anecdotally, yes. STR is on his way to tell you about his 10 year old trunk battery in his Saturn.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Dominoes posted:

NC, USA.

unless it's a manual, it's on most lists of "used cars to avoid", so many informed buyers will steer clear

might be worth trying to hold your nose and listing it on facebook. i just sold a car on there in less than a day

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So yeah I decided to get a quote with Esurance to see how big a difference it is and it's pretty significant. Only catch is the online quote asks if I've had a violation in the past 5 years, I marked yes yet it still says I'm "claim free for the past 5 years" and gives me a discount. I assume the system knows I had a claim recently since it pulled all my information down about my cars from ~the cloud~. Is it safe to just roll with the quote they gave me or do I need to call them and clarify?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A violation is like a speeding ticket or something. That's different from making a claim against the insurance. It's just assuming that you have no claims in the last 5 years, and yes, that will change when they actually process the policy for real and factor that in.

Not sure what information you mean it pulled down from ~the cloud~. Did you put in your car's VIN? There's a large amount of information about the car encoded in that number.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

A violation is like a speeding ticket or something. That's different from making a claim against the insurance. It's just assuming that you have no claims in the last 5 years, and yes, that will change when they actually process the policy for real and factor that in.

Not sure what information you mean it pulled down from ~the cloud~. Did you put in your car's VIN? There's a large amount of information about the car encoded in that number.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Maybe once I officially try to purchase the plan the rate will go up. I'm not sure where it pulls the info, it just automatically pulled down the info for both my cars and I assumed it got that from Progressive somehow but perhaps they pull it from the states database.