Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Beefer meefer momeefer banananana fofeefer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
:confused:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Screaming Idiot posted:

THIS IS WHY WE SHOULD NOT HAVE RELEASED THE COSBY
It's even worse than that. It's *shudder* Crazy Frog

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Data Graham posted:

my favorite is aluminum/aluminium because both are corrections to Davy's original "alumium"

Depends which "correction" you think is better

e: do you follow the pattern of "platinum" or the pattern of "rubidium"

i'm sure that i've read somewhere that by the 'rules' they were using at the time, it would be aluminum since the rootword in this case would be 'alumina' since that's what oxide it was prepared from, a similar naming scheme applied to platinum coming from platina, lanthanum coming from lanthana and molybdenum coming from molybdena, i think Davy himself waffled back and forth but it was too far gone by that point, either way he picked the -ium ending not by any rule but just so it looks nice and neat next to the other elements

incidentally, sodium should probably be sodum or sodanum, as it was prepared from caustic soda, but a combination of Davy misnaming that one again when he discovered it and sodium being briefly known as natrium (rootword natron, where the elemental symbol Na comes from) made the other ending stick

Davy would complete the hatrick by misnaming potassium when he also discovered that, preparing it from potash, which was also briefly known as kalium (elemental symbol K)

anyway there are no real rules, it's all 19th century mad hatter scientists chirping pig-latin at each other all the way down

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lmao why does Subway suddenly care about its integrity? Isn't their entire business model to squat on commercial real estate with low overhead? The gently caress do they care if anyone likes their gross, overpriced sandwiches? I thought they were doing a good job with that.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

SerthVarnee posted:

Other than ships.

That’s just tradition rather than a function of the language

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Also linguistic gender is not the same as regular gender

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Phlegmish posted:

Also linguistic gender is not the same as regular gender
Regular gender isn't even like regular gender

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

dialhforhero posted:

Vehicles, buildings, weapons, and some tools, plus many objects that has a personal attachment to you, beg to differ.

That is just you using gendered terms. It isn't having two words for "Chair" where one is a Male chair and one is Female Chair.

So, you are wrong.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Love to derail the funny pictures thread for decades discussing bad words

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Pictured: the male chair

Never don't be getting those gains, bros.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

https://youtu.be/zem5bQ4SzMI

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/VbL8B74.gifv

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

hard counter posted:

incidentally, sodium should probably be sodum or sodanum, as it was prepared from caustic soda, but a combination of Davy misnaming that one again when he discovered it and sodium being briefly known as natrium (rootword natron, where the elemental symbol Na comes from) made the other ending stick

Davy would complete the hatrick by misnaming potassium when he also discovered that, preparing it from potash, which was also briefly known as kalium (elemental symbol K)

Sodium and potassium were taught as natrium and kalium as recently as the mid-90s. They still might be for all I know. Confused the crap out of me when I moved to the States.

Granted, that was in :tito: and I have no idea how far behind the rest of the world we were. Apparently a solid 200 years?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trabant posted:

Sodium and potassium were taught as natrium and kalium as recently as the mid-90s. They still might be for all I know. Confused the crap out of me when I moved to the States.

Granted, that was in :tito: and I have no idea how far behind the rest of the world we were. Apparently a solid 200 years?

Depends on the language. Many languages have their own names for elements, but use the IUPAC symbol regardless.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Trabant posted:

Those are the (loan)words for those elements in Japanese, too. A lot of their science and medical terms are from Dutch and German.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

this is the first time I've seen this gif in a non-HERE COMES FYAD edition

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d8FNi_8HEw

china bot has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Jul 19, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Kazakhstan number 1 exporter of potassium
all other countries have inferior potassium

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

dialhforhero posted:

Roosevelt wasn’t the only American trying to simplify or standardize American English spelling.

There was this effort and I think Benjamin Franklin made an attempt, too (to no one’s surprise) in an effort to make literacy easier to accomplish and overcome difference in dialects and assist in 2nd language acquisition for immigrants.

They all failed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://i.imgur.com/Xj3C6gp.mp4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The purest evocation of the posting process I've ever seen

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

God only knows what they were thinking with that music selection

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Data Graham posted:

What I wonder about is what kind of :psyduck: must be going through people's heads when they try to figure out colloquial constructs like the distinction between "few" and "a few".

Like I can barely even think how to explain it clearly, let alone expect anyone to get it off the bat (and few do)

Articles and when to use them are, I'm told, one of the more obnoxious parts of mastering English.

When I was a kid I was a know it all grammar Nazi. Now that I've at least on paper grown up, over-corrections and straight up false corrections (like chomping vs champing) are way more annoying than people writing or speaking "incorrectly."

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Jul 19, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The weirdest thing is grabbing the persons head like that what the hell lol

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
he needed him to see the giant rabbit

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

The weirdest thing is grabbing the persons head like that what the hell lol

They were in the middle of a murder when they got distracted by the rabbit.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
He's muffling a scream so the rabbit wont hear them. They have big ears

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't the aluminum guy spell the name 3 different ways in his book he wrote about it? I thought that was why we said it one way and the Brits said it another.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tired: aluminum
woired: aluminioum

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Split the difference and call it alumininum

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Allumnidumdidum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I got curious about whether or not it's the same way with another light metal but instead of siluminum/siluminium it's silumin how boring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"Jeeves, my faithful manservant, behold my greatest creation; A rabbit capable of eating entire moons worth of carrots and snorting lasers with but a twitch of its fuzzy nose!

Soon I alone will control the galaxy's carrot supply!

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
Helum
Potassum
Curum
Barum
Americum

yeah i prefer the american spelling actually

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Helum
Potassum
Curum
Barum

:hmmno:

:hmmyes:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

When's the kaboom? There's supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The French call it Alouminioum