Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

played through the stretch between dungeon 3 and dungeon 4 of skyward sword and realized all over again why I had mixed feelings about this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Finished area 1 and about to go to area 2. Handy played it before but it's obvious how many of the ideas were taken and moved into BotW such as stamina wheels & finding random bugs to collect in the grass.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I just got to the part where you sail the sand sea and I'm loving it. Since SS was the only non-handheld Zelda title I hadn't played, I'm enjoying it immensely.

There are still some parts where Fi talks s o f u c k i n g s l o w l y and you can't skip it (usually introducing a new area) and I think if it was like that the whole game with the amount of text in some sections I would've torn my hair out in 2011.

I am enjoying the motion controls, though. But then again, I didn't figure out until the mecha-shiva boss that you could use A to hop to the side/backflip. :v: Mostly because I didn't really need to until then. It did make the 3-stalfos miniboss of that dungeon interesting though!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man, it's crazy to think that SS is the second-to-last "big" new Zelda game, and it's a decade old at this point. The dev cycle really just slowed down with BotW. At least they're pretty regularly cranking out these updates and remakes on the console side in the meantime, it's just kinda funny to think back to the last time I was mega-hyped for a new Zelda game before BotW and it's practically another lifetime ago.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I gotta say it’s nice going back to an “old” 3D Zelda after BOTW. I haven’t gotten to the latter half yet or fought the imprisoned but I’m having more fun than I thought I would have.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One complaint I'm remembering is the pacing early on. I spent almost three hours running around doing tutorials and scavenger hunts before I even got to the first dungeon, I feel like it works so much better when you get a brief intro and jump into a beginner dungeon much faster. My recollection is that this kind of forced sidequesting interrupting the game's flow was one of my main overall criticisms.

e: but yeah, going back to a classic style dungeon progression feels so good, I hope BotW2 hits that side a bit more :pray:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 19, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

imo the pacing is fine early on when you’re exploring new areas and opening up parts of the level. “Find 3 Kikwis” is a thin excuse sure but you’re still progressing through the area and doing stuff all the same, there’s plenty of fun to be had outside of the dungeons. It’s later on when the game starts making you revisit areas to do fetch quests that it becomes grating.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Augus posted:

imo the pacing is fine early on when you’re exploring new areas and opening up parts of the level. “Find 3 Kikwis” is a thin excuse sure but you’re still progressing through the area and doing stuff all the same, there’s plenty of fun to be had outside of the dungeons. It’s later on when the game starts making you revisit areas to do fetch quests that it becomes grating.

Nintendo said they sped up the beginning of the game, idk if that meant that certain things like rescuing the cat from the roof became optional. Once you go to the Surface the first time the game gets rolling. Exploring the woods isn’t bad at all, I don’t think. The first time you visit each area is fine. You’re right that the revisits and silent realms are rough. Eldin isn’t even a fetch quest, that would be preferable to the nightmare you have to suffer through.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, you do visit new areas on revisits. Underwater area. Timestone sand ocean. The volcano summit.

Well, the first ones at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really do have to say that as much as I enjoy BotW, I really hope it isn't the entire future of the Zelda franchise. The wide open exploration is fun but I also really enjoy the smaller more focused 'busier' areas found in old games too. Majora's Mask is still more interesting to me than BotW because while it isn't as huge and epic it uses the smaller setting to its total advantage.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yeah I hope that future games after BOTW2 use a synthesis of BOTW's ideas and older ones

like, Link Between Worlds was a solid experiment with regards to non-linearity in Zelda.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just want a dang hookshot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I just would love something like the champion powers that didn't have a loving eternity cooldown. Mostly Revali's Gale.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I liked BotW a lot but boy do I have extreme open world fatigue. Playing through a regular mainline Zelda, even if it's Skyward Sword, is such a different/enjoyable experience. I really hope there's a regular 3D Zelda game in the pipleline somewhere. Just do a BotW style line and a regular style line at the same time and get all the sales.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Junpei posted:

I mean, you do visit new areas on revisits. Underwater area. Timestone sand ocean. The volcano summit.
come on, you know the summit is not a real area, it's like a single room with a dungeon entrance

Eldin is just a bad area where they clearly ran out of budget top do anything meaningfully different on the revisits. you just scale the same drat mountain from the bottom up three times over with some flimsy excuses for why you have to do it again this time

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

He should be saying, "What are dungeons?"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

With the game taking to the skies and Link having a corrupted arm for powers, I think this is likely. When combined with the weird tunnel warp thing from the trailer, it could open up some fantastic movement possibilities. But who knows.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
LBW's non-linearity is way different from BotW's though, including the fact that they block off the desert dungeon until after you do the Thieve's Hideout (this is to ensure the player is forced to go back to Ravio after getting the Master Sword so they can be told "Hey you can buy stuff now instead of just renting it"). The beginning of LBW is still a bunch of people talking and cutscenes and the game forcing you to do the same poo poo every time you play.

It's why I don't consider LBW non-linear at all really, it's still very scripted and forces you to do the exact same things every playthrough even if you do get a choice of whether you want to do Skull Woods or PoD first. BotW just has you walk outside the Shrine of Resurrection and says "Go nuts, do whatever." You do eventually have to go to the shrines to get the paraglider to get off the plateau, but the game still never actually forces you to do it or even to talk to the old man, which is a big difference from the beginning of LBW which is you walking to groups of people talking with very little to actually do.

I'm not saying linearity is good or bad, and I can appreciate both, but I think the major difference is practically everyone who plays BotW has a different experience, they all decide to do different things, check out different areas, fight enemies in different ways. Everyone who plays LBW has basically the exact same experience because the game doesn't give you any freedom for a long time, and fighting enemies is a lot less varied and interesting because you're very limited with combat options due to the type of game. You can't roll a rock down a cliff onto a sleeping soldier, or drop a nearby metal crate on their head, you can only swing your sword. Again this isn't a bad thing (and LttP is one of my favorite games), it's just different.

So yeah ultimately I think what would be perfect for BotW 2 is for the exploration to be as open and free as the first game, no walking from cutscene to cutscene like most other 3D Zeldas, but having dungeons like those games. Because I do think it's cool for people to have different experiences and do different things instead of just "Yeah I went and talked to the wooden sword out of the chest and then went and bought the shield from the shop so I could get past Fado to talk to the Great Deku Tree too."

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I really do have to say that as much as I enjoy BotW, I really hope it isn't the entire future of the Zelda franchise. The wide open exploration is fun but I also really enjoy the smaller more focused 'busier' areas found in old games too. Majora's Mask is still more interesting to me than BotW because while it isn't as huge and epic it uses the smaller setting to its total advantage.

That game made so much money, its sequel is the only thing anyone is talking about for the franchise going forward, and it got a Warriors spinoff dedicated to it. BotW is going to be the formula for the next ten years at least. Remember that it took until Skyward Sword for them to break away from the Ocarina of Time formula (which is really just the formula of A Link to the Past but with 3D areas.)

The Legend of Zelda is now just going to be ubisoft tower climbers for people with taste. Like it or not I feel like that's the reality of it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The only upshot to them backpedaling on BotW somehow is that the zelda team would hopefully stop being a resource drain on other developers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do speedrunners have a run category that is just "all korok seeds" ?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like to hope BotW was really just the minimum they could get away with to be faithful to the open world concept they wanted and released at a time that pleased the business. BotW2 should be a better tell on their full philosophy for Zelda games of this generation.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do speedrunners have a run category that is just "all korok seeds" ?
getting 100% in botw consists 95% of gathering korok seeds so the answer is no but if you want to see a runner getting seeds for 15 hours you can just watch the 100% speedrun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4xEngvNeGg

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 19, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh lmao I didn't assume they even bothered with 100% runs cause it sounds insane.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it is, but people are also insane enough to try it

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
If Nintendo had kept up with separating the handheld and home console businesses I could see them putting out a more traditional Zelda on a handheld, but that ship has sailed. I wonder if they'd ever let another company do a more traditional style game, like they did with Capcom and the Oracle games.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what game has the longest shortest speedrun, if you see what I'm saying

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TL posted:

If Nintendo had kept up with separating the handheld and home console businesses I could see them putting out a more traditional Zelda on a handheld, but that ship has sailed. I wonder if they'd ever let another company do a more traditional style game, like they did with Capcom and the Oracle games.
to me it seems inevitable Grezzo will eventually make an original zelda game. maybe they're working on one right now even!

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I wonder if there's any thought of bookending the series with BOTW2 like they did with SS. All the sky stuff in it makes me wonder if they're going for a symmetry.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Bloop posted:

I wonder what game has the longest shortest speedrun, if you see what I'm saying

Morrowind?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Isn't Morrowind like 3 minutes?

What I understood them to mean is the game whose shortest run (any%) is the longest.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phosphine posted:

Isn't Morrowind like 3 minutes?

What I understood them to mean is the game whose shortest run (any%) is the longest.

Yah, or 100%, whichever. The game that takes the fastest speedrun the longest to complete.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Any % speedruns are usually pretty short since they almost always use glitches, though there is also the Glitchless Any % category.

Some 100% speedruns are ridiculous, I know there's one (can't remember the name) where to get an item you have to have like 100 hours of play time so a lot of the speedrun just consists of sitting around waiting until the timer hits that.

I am kind of curious what the shortest glitchless Any % is for BotW, since I know the normal Any % uses a lot of blowing yourself up while you're on your shield and flying through the air.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m not really worried about BotW dominating Zelda cycles for over a decade, because it’s been 5 years since BotW, so in all likelihood BotW2 is the last Zelda for this console generation and we’ll get a new FPS rougelike Zelda for the Switch Uber in 2027

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

Oh lmao I didn't assume they even bothered with 100% runs cause it sounds insane.
There are some speedruns that are literally hundreds of hours long, allowing the runner to sleep for a certain amount of time during said run. Some people are just nuts.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ah, i see you're talking about my good friend Baten Kaitos 100%

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNpDam3KKfeqfu9CgrCSyFjaRBWKierjo

a 338-hour run over the course of 15 days

actually the baten kaitos any% run is almost 12 hours in itself so this is probably also a good answer to the earlier question about longest runs

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Shenmue 3 speed run is only like 45 minutes faster than a normal playthrough

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like in gdq where they just go "uhhh we need to kill time so I guess the night shift is going to be a few nerds who are the aural equivalent of paint drying will drone over a final fantasy 8 Speedrun for six hours"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

At first I thought that Nintendo emphasizing Groose was sort of giving away the joke but after playing the intro again, those silly videos and posts barely scratch the surface of what a hilarious clown he is. They really nailed it with his characterization.

i like how his look implies he might be the original version of "ganondorf" and then you realize groose actually reincarnates as tingle. the center of the triforce. the rock. :colbert: