Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shammypants posted:

Weird question but what is stopping any manufacturer who has made a more condensed version of their game for switch from offering on Steam a condensed version for the Deck? So like Doom or Outer Worlds or any other game, why not take the Doom from Switch and modify it a bit and release it for Deck? Is this an insane amount of work to change a switch game to a Deck game? Is it easier to just start from scratch or just ask people to download the full game and lower specs than do a Deck edition?

The incentive would have to be there for a publisher to make a Deck version just like there has to be one for a Switch version. Also, a question has to be asked, can and would the developer make a Deck version. Switch versions of games sometimes are farmed out to a specific porting developer. Panic Button, iirc, is one of the better ones. They made the Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal and Warframe ports, to name a few. That's one example. For another, Sythetik, was ported from Steam to the Switch by the original developer. All this is to say that there are considerations before wanting to make a different version of a game to "fit" onto a new system.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Glancing at ebay, it looks like the 3ds costs more than a switch lite

MarcusSA posted:

lol 2021 sucks!

It's considered retro now so of course a used 3DS is :retrogames: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

The incentive would have to be there for a publisher to make a Deck version just like there has to be one for a Switch version. Also, a question has to be asked, can and would the developer make a Deck version. Switch versions of games sometimes are farmed out to a specific porting developer. Panic Button, iirc, is one of the better ones. They made the Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal and Warframe ports, to name a few. That's one example. For another, Sythetik, was ported from Steam to the Switch by the original developer. All this is to say that there are considerations before wanting to make a different version of a game to "fit" onto a new system.

The idea that developers will spend time making a special "deck version" of their PC games assumes that there will only be one spec to target for. Seems like a pretty rash assumption. If this device is successful, I expect there to be a variety of different specs on the market in just a few years' time (either from valve or third parties), meaning there won't be any one version to target. And if it's not successful, then nobody's going to bother doing special targeted builds/configurations.

I know people can't help but compare this to a switch, but it's still a PC in a constantly evolving landscape. You shouldn't expect this to be just a single spec that sticks around for years like a console.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 19, 2021

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
There's no way Valve will let there be Deck versions of games, it completely undermines the whole principal of the thing being something portable you can get the "full" PC gaming experience on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Game companies are already working on ways to make their games super scalable (take a look at what UE5 is doing) so it’s kinda a moot point.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rudager posted:

There's no way Valve will let there be Deck versions of games, it completely undermines the whole principal of the thing being something portable you can get the "full" PC gaming experience on.

That's true, maybe it's just a matter of removing high end graphics like was discussed earlier to keep file size down and otherwise remove parts that no one would install.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Wamdoodle posted:

It's considered retro now so of course a used 3DS is :retrogames: lol
Holy poo poo, I had no idea. I was casually thinking of getting a 2DS for Samus Returns and... yeah, whoa. I clearly missed the boat there.

It's a shame we can't play most of the Metroid games on the Switch. Can't wait to emulate them on the Deck instead!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

oversteps posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea. I was casually thinking of getting a 2DS for Samus Returns and... yeah, whoa. I clearly missed the boat there.

It's a shame we can't play most of the Metroid games on the Switch. Can't wait to emulate them on the Deck instead!

Nintendo over the past month has been putting out refurbished 2ds xls out for a reasonable price.

Of course they are gone in minutes if you aren’t watching for them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

oversteps posted:

2DS Slates got for $50, 2DS XL's go for $99 straight from Nintendo's refurb store, thru their website and I believe they have an Ebay store. Basically brand new. BUT:

MarcusSA posted:

Of course they are gone in minutes if you aren’t watching for them.

Is the kicker. Gamestop has refurbs but it's a crapshoot on the quality. Another goon recently got a really good one from there but I've also seen some absolute dreck that had no business being resold. Every last one is hackable, btw

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I got one in for the biggest one on the first day.

Really can't wait.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

does anyone know yet what the difference is between the storage speeds of the 256 NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)/512GB high speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4) models?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I don't know about this. On one hand, it looks super loving cool. On the other, steam has kind of a shoddy track record with hardware. Steam controller was fairly meh imho, steam link was also fairly meh, and they ended up dumping stock for a buck each, and wasn't there a steam box that was a rebranded lovely computer?

Software wise, still waiting for half life episode 3. I know this is a joke by now but steam and google seem to have a lot in common when it comes to customer service.... They both don't give a poo poo. Google kills products left and right, steam/valve just can't seem to finish a trilogy or have long term support for their IPs that don't involve some gimmick (Half Life Alyx anyone??)

I'll give it a year or two or three and then I'll look into it when it's a more mature system.... Or maybe I'll pick one up for a buck when they move onto the next big thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alyx is one of the coolest games I've ever made, calling its use of VR a gimmick is extremely reductive imo

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Yeah, Alyx was genuinely brilliant and wouldn't have been the same without VR.

There are some good VR games out there with fun ideas/mechanics, but Alyx wove a ton of great ideas into something greater than the sum of its parts. It actually felt like the old Valve was back and hadn't missed a step.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

LordAdakos posted:

I don't know about this. On one hand, it looks super loving cool. On the other, steam has kind of a shoddy track record with hardware.

Where does this narrative come from? Steam Boxes were unambiguously a failure but Link (the hardware) was a success, up until the point where it became obsolete as smart TVs could just run it as an app. Not that they dropped support, the last Steam Link hardware update was a few months ago. Steam Controller spawned Steam Input and aspects of it's design were incorporated into the Deck, as a result its still actively supported by valve despite being out of production. Vive and Index are niche, but they also get continued software support.

E: Steam Boxes weren't Valve hardware either, it was a thing third parties could participate in if they wanted (they didn't). That failed initiative did result in them putting a ton of effort into whipping Linux and Wine into shape which has resulted in this product.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 19, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Valve aren't a hardware manufacturer at heart, they're a platform holder who know that they need to support new features with a tangible product for them to get a foothold. They don't do version two of a product, but the software powering that hardware is continually developed and supported - Link is available on everything, even as a TV app, the Steam Controller became an all-encompassing controller configurator, and the Index is still one of the best headsets on the market that isn't going anywhere for a few years at the very least.

Although that said, the Steam Deck *is* a version two, of the Steam Box and Steam Controller - the same software that powered them was never abandoned, and the latest versions are now being found in brand new and improved hardware.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 19, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of developers adapting their Switch port work to the Deck

https://twitter.com/shrugtal/status/1417055065366487045?s=19

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I should mention that despite Steam Boxes being a failure, my prototype from Valve was my main gaming PC from 2013-2018 and literally the only upgrade I did was replacing the 500GB SSHD with my already owned 1TB SSD.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh hey my second ever quote is not edit screwup

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

Where does this narrative come from?

Regardless if it's true or not, it's been echoed several times by different posters so it's out there

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm not seeing the expected delivery date anymore on my reservation dealie, anyone else the same?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mozi posted:

I'm not seeing the expected delivery date anymore on my reservation dealie, anyone else the same?

Nope. Sad to say but you probably lost the train to the Gabe Station. :rip:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mozi posted:

Did you get your order in pretty early on Friday? The consensus I've seen is that no date means you're probably in the first batch that should ship in December.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Irrational as it may be, i've paid money to reserve a slot to pay more money later... wild world!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

Mine is like that as well. :iiam:

Wamdoodle posted:

Regardless if it's true or not, it's been echoed several times by different posters so it's out there

Yeah, it's a little weird. While the initiatives may have been a failure in terms of adoption rate, the hardware itself was nicely designed and built.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

In terms of running games on this, for people who can't be bothered to install windows etc and just want to use it out of the box, will they just be offering a kind of reduced set of 'deck compatible ' apps (ie all the Linux compatible ones?) via the deck version of Steam?

Has anyone who's done this before got a view on how buggy that is and how much tweaking you need to do to get the more demanding games to work properly?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What does support the hardware mean like revisions or system updates.

Because if it’s hardware revision most users aren’t going to care about that

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Soul Glo posted:

Just about everyone buying this thing already has a deep Steam library, so I would assume the increased software sales won't make a huge contribution to their coffers.

Anecdotally - nah. A friend of mine with 5 games on his account said this immediately looks more interesting than his gaming PC does, and when I get my hands on a deck I am sure I will instantly drop $200 on software. And I have like 780 games in my account.... I almost rebought Horizon yesterday before figuring out I owned it from a deep discount sale and had never activated it :laugh:

I'd like this to be good, it's cool, and it will keep me off another Switch until I see the reports. That said I'm not super super sad to have a Q2 '22 date instead of Q4 '23, because that's enough time for some real feedback from the wild.

If it pans out, looks like I will in fact end up owning Dead Cells on three systems. Oops.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 19, 2021

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GTO posted:

In terms of running games on this, for people who can't be bothered to install windows etc and just want to use it out of the box, will they just be offering a kind of reduced set of 'deck compatible ' apps (ie all the Linux compatible ones?) via the deck version of Steam?

Has anyone who's done this before got a view on how buggy that is and how much tweaking you need to do to get the more demanding games to work properly?

You can check here to get an idea of what will run out of the box or with no configuration required.

https://www.protondb.com/

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Dramicus posted:

You can check here to get an idea of what will run out of the box or with no configuration required.

https://www.protondb.com/

Ah, see, now you have me convinced I'll buy one even if the early reviews are bad

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

GTO posted:

Steam shows native linux games at https://store.steampowered.com/linux, in steam that's under Categories -> Special Sections -> SteamOS

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Licarn posted:

Steam shows native linux games at https://store.steampowered.com/linux, in steam that's under Categories -> Special Sections -> SteamOS

A lot of non-native games also run just fine through proton.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, it's a little weird. While the initiatives may have been a failure in terms of adoption rate, the hardware itself was nicely designed and built.

I have the Link and 2 Steam Controllers. They're both excellent designs and very well built - especially the Steam Controller. The controller is definitely not for everyone and even I only use it in a very few titles, but there's no issue with the quality of the hardware build itself.

Valve generally seems to focus on quality and experience, both hardware and software.

Whether the Deck will change the market remains to be seen - sometime pointed out that the aggressive pricing may kill off the nascent offerings that were already out - but it's still good to have as an option.

As long as it's a playable and decent piece of hardware that retains its value for 3-4 years, I'll be happy with the purchase.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

v1ld posted:

They're both excellent designs and very well built - especially the Steam Controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

Also Valve assembled it in the USA with Aperture Science robots.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I really, really want Steam Deck to workout so that the custom off shoots start popping up. Like a $200 machine that is slightly smaller that is focused on playing Steam's massive library of 2d/less intense 3d games/Retroarch in a simple package. Like something the does Jupiter Hell/Hollow Knight/Enter the Gungeon/etc. Maybe top off with something 3d like Bloodstained depending on the price.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Valve aren't a hardware manufacturer at heart, they're a platform holder who know that they need to support new features with a tangible product for them to get a foothold. They don't do version two of a product, but the software powering that hardware is continually developed and supported - Link is available on everything, even as a TV app, the Steam Controller became an all-encompassing controller configurator, and the Index is still one of the best headsets on the market that isn't going anywhere for a few years at the very least.

Although that said, the Steam Deck *is* a version two, of the Steam Box and Steam Controller - the same software that powered them was never abandoned, and the latest versions are now being found in brand new and improved hardware.

This is being kind. Valve's hardware has always ended in fail. It's not that it's bad, it's that it's not really supported and then they bail on it.

The thing is they need the Steam Deck. For one they don't want to be tied to Windows, and with the new Microsoft Store and Xbox integration leading to where it will they can't depend on MS. For another there used to only be one online store, Steam, but Epic is breathing down their necks.

Steam Deck is a solution to their problems.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

I really, really want Steam Deck to workout so that the custom off shoots start popping up. Like a $200 machine that is slightly smaller that is focused on playing Steam's massive library of 2d/less intense 3d games/Retroarch in a simple package. Like something the does Jupiter Hell/Hollow Knight/Enter the Gungeon/etc. Maybe top off with something 3d like Bloodstained depending on the price.

Well from what I've read, Valve has decided to open up the "Steam OS" of the deck for anyone to use. So in theory any of the companies making similar devices like the GPD win or whatever could put out steam deck clones if they wanted.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

Did you get your order in pretty early on Friday? The consensus I've seen is that no date means you're probably in the first batch that should ship in December.

Fairly early, so for now no harm in hoping this is the case! It did say Q1 2022 originally but maybe I got bumped up somehow...

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dramicus posted:

Well from what I've read, Valve has decided to open up the "Steam OS" of the deck for anyone to use. So in theory any of the companies making similar devices like the GPD win or whatever could put out steam deck clones if they wanted.

Yeah, I read that too. Valve through just has to prove that its possible to make a profit first and/or that there is a massive market here for the taking. I really want a Steam focused competitor to the something like the Retroid Pocket 2.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

Yeah, I read that too. Valve through just has to prove that its possible to make a profit first and/or that there is a massive market here for the taking. I really want a Steam focused competitor to the something like the Retroid Pocket 2.

Retroarch is currently in development for steam / close to being released. So the steam deck should be able to completely replace that category of device, well at least when it comes to performance. pocket-ability is another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's in "playtest" but you can go get instantly approved to install RetroArch Steam right now. I haven't messed with it much yet