Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah rent a Model 3 on Turo for a day or two and see how you like it with your daily routine and whatnot. Thats what I did for mine.

edit: first post

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Might be harder to find a Kona to try out, but yeah I did a road trip with the Model 3.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porschedrive/rental/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Isn't the base Taycan like twice the price of the base Model 3 / Kona?

E: now I'm wondering if it's possible to rent a Bentley.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, definitely not the same price range at all.

And the Audi e-tron GT is the more beautiful version of the Taycan anyways.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Any additional praise/complaints with the Niro? Maybe I should give one a test drive

We've had one for about 9 months now. It's mostly my wife's commuter so I don't drive it a lot but she says it's excellent for the 20-60 minutes of motorway driving she does each way, and the driver assist is really helpful when coming home after nightshifts. The front seats are very comfortable, the ones in the back have plenty of space but give me a sore arse after about half an hour. Infotainment is fine, the navigation is much better than our old Citroen and its pretty responsive. There are real buttons for almost everything you need while driving. The app is ok but round trip times to the car can take a while.

It rolls a lot in corners, has terrible rear visibility, mediocre boot space and is much larger on the outside than it needs to be, but that's true of every CUV and unfortunately that's still what the majority of electric cars are.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I would pay a lot to pretend I could actually afford a Cross Turismo for a few days.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Popero posted:

I would pay a lot to pretend I could actually afford a Cross Turismo for a few days.

Guy in orlando will let you rent a taycan turbo for $551/day lol

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states/kissimmee-fl/porsche/taycan/1046997?searchId=Yty2EVTb

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Tayter Swift posted:

The station map at the Fuel Cell Partnership shows the energy source for each station. The two near me are 100% renewable so I imagine those are electrolysis. A lot of others are just 33% renewable so they're probably using methane and counting the renewable portfolio standard as the 33%.

I filled up for the first time today. I forgot to take pics of the nozzle itself, sorry, but you've probably seen other pics of them. The base of the nozzle where it connects to the hose feels chilled, maybe 45 degrees or so.

The first time I tried to fill up it didn't dispense anything, so I had to try again. Someone gave me a hand this time. The station was empty by the time I got there but when I left ten minutes later there were two others waiting, sheesh.

Got a full fill-up.

The "five minutes to fill up" thing is probably close to accurate when you know what you're doing, but there's only two pumps and one of them was offline, so until there's more stations there will probably be more of a wait. Maybe FCEV owners hang out together while waiting to fill up, I dunno.

That's really interesting! I really love the icon for the fuel cell tank :3: Unfortunate about the second station being down. Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda ended up offering long term rentals to FCEV owners last year because all the stations in the bay area were down. :(

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

This weekend I was in the unfortunate situation of having to take an 8 hour drive in an electric car, during vacation release weekend for a whole section of the population. Fortunately, it was a tesla model 3, so at the busiest charging location I plugged into one of the several available v3 superchargers (that only fit the 3 here in Norway, since they use standard CCS plugs) while other electric cars had to line up for the 8 or so fast chargers from other providers. Some times I want to sell this car and get something I feel more secure about the service future of, but then something like this reminds me that the charging network really is head and shoulders above anything else.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

Isn't the base Taycan like twice the price of the base Model 3 / Kona?

And then you get to deal with Porsche's options. The 4S nominally starts at 104k but the two my local dealership has are 132k and 138k. And if you step down to the base "80k" model (i.e. 100k with options) 0-60 is 5.1 seconds IIRC and no matter how great the Taycan is there's a part of my brain that I'm not sure would allow me to pay 100,000 for a Porsche that gets to 60 slower than the (non GT!) Mach-e.

It basically all became moot though when I went to look at Taycans and discovered that my shoulders are basically wider than the door opening, I can't even really get in them.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Charles posted:

I can comfortably say Tesla is considered by most to still be the leader when it comes to the whole battery experience (range, charging, etc). This is a personal thing but I disliked not having a driver mounted speedometer, headlight controls, wiper controls, etc, which are all controlled by the touch screen. Visibility out the rear window sucked too but that's common in many modern cars.

I agree with most of these points, but just for clarification:
  • The SuperCharger network is fantastic and is years ahead of the non-Tesla fast charging networks in terms of both convenience and availability. I have done a couple of long distance trips in my Model 3 and I probably would not done them in a non-Tesla EV.
  • I don't mind reading information from the touchscreen instead of a gauge cluster behind the steering wheel. I thought it was a ridiculous cost-cutting measure when the Model 3 came out, and that I would hate it, but I was wrong. It only took about 30 seconds to get used to and it hasn't bothered me since. If you're a taller person (I'm 6'1"), then one advantage to displaying information on the touchscreen instead of a gauge cluster behind the steering wheel is that the the steering wheel doesn't obscure your view of information.
  • I agree that visibility out the rear window is not great. It's not as bad as some cars, but it's definitely worse than others.
  • You can control the high beams with the left stalk in a Model 3 the same as most cars (pull back to flash the high beams, push forward to lock them to high).
  • There is an auto high beam feature, but I've never used it and can't comment on it.
  • The headlights have an auto mode which automatically turn the headlights on and off based on the ambient light level. This has worked flawlessly for me for two years; I don't think I've ever had to adjust the headlight settings on the touchscreen.
  • As the parent comment noted, the rest of the headlight controls are accessible via the touchscreen.
  • The windshield wipers have an automatic mode as well, but it does not work well for a lot of people (myself included). Allegedly this is because Tesla cheaped out on a $2 part for the Model 3, and decided to use machine learning to detect rain instead.
  • Every 6 months or so Tesla releases a software update which supposedly improves the automatic wipers. None of the updates have ever made a drat bit if difference for me.
  • You can manually trigger a single wipe by tapping the button at the end of the left stalk.
  • You can manually trigger a single wipe with wiper fluid by pressing the button at the end of the left stalk all the way down.
  • Both of the previous actions will show the wiper controls on the touch screen, to make it easier to set the wipers to the desired mode.
  • You can use voice controls to adjust the wipers by pressing the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel and saying things like "wipers off", "wipers low", "wipers high", etc. In practice this is what I end up doing most often, because as I mentioned previously the automatic wipers don't work reliably for me and I don't like fiddling with the touchscreen while I'm driving.
  • While the voice controls are adequate, I still wish they would either add a knob to the left stalk to control the wipers manually like other cars, or allow you to adjust the wiper speed using the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel.
  • I knew about all of this before I bought the car. It wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but it might be for someone who lives in an area with more rain (e.g., the Pacific Northwest).

Other stuff:
  • I don't like the way the blind spot detection works in the Model 3. If there is a car in your blind spot when you turn on your turn signal, the Model 3 displays a warning on the touchscreen (which I rarely see), but doesn't chime until you start to change lanes. The chime scares me every time. I prefer the way many other cars operate in this situation (for example, the Hyundai Ioniq): they display a warning on the mirror itself if you have not activated your turn signal and then chime immediately if you activate the turn signal when there is a car your blind spot.
  • If you take your car through a car wash, then there is an annoying 3 step process to get the car ready (fold mirrors, turn off air conditioning, turn off automatic wipers). It's not a big deal and it's not unique to the Model 3, but I wish the car had a "Car Wash" mode that did all of this with a single tap.
  • I like the way all this stuff works, but if someone else needs to drive your car you'll need to give them a 5 minute crash course on basic operation (placing the card on the B stalk to unlock the door, placing the card on the center console to "start" the car, using buttons to open the doors, remind them to be extremely gentle with the accelerator, explain one pedal driving, etc).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

That last post was excellent. I want to throw in that due to where I live, we do almost exclusively road trips.

It required some planning 5 years ago when we had a Model S that took longer to charge and had lower range. With the Model 3, we really don't even think about it. You have to follow the route in the nav computer, budget an hour or two more per day over what Google Maps says, but that's it.

Stopping to charge for 10-30 minutes has become something we look forward to: we pee, walk around, maybe eat a meal, stretch out, whatever. But that is going to be a big change from the 4.5-minute gas station stop you might be used to now.

I also have a Nissan Leaf, so I've seen what the CCS network is like, and I expect it would be about like our old Model S was five years ago. You can do it, but it requires careful planning beforehand. Hopefully in another 5 years it'll be as simple as the Model 3.

I think this is the best road trip car I've ever had. I like the seats, I like the hill climbing power, I like the luggage space, I like the stereo, and the stay-in-lane stuff is now something I consider essential. I even like being forced to take a break every 3 hours. I actually like that a lot.

I wish the superchargers had a thing to clean all the bugs off the windshield. Maybe in another 5 years.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

MrPablo posted:

• If you take your car through a car wash, then there is an annoying 3 step process to get the car ready (fold mirrors, turn off air conditioning, turn off automatic wipers). It's not a big deal and it's not unique to the Model 3, but I wish the car had a "Car Wash" mode that did all of this with a single tap.

I've never once turned off a/c while going through a car wash. Should I start doing that?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If anything, turning off the ventilation completely seems to make more sense than just turning off the ac.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Westy543 posted:

Model 3 and Y packs have fire retardant potting material, so they generally won't. It took a long time to back port to Model S/X and I'm still not sure if they did. Kia's EVs seem good so far, but I'd worry by proximity to Hyundai? Leafs seem solid too from a fire pov. Hard to tell with other OEMs, but maybe VW? Can't say I remember many e-golf fires.
Kia has a different battery supplier than Hyundai, so the Niro is fine (for now) while the Kona is sus. I looked it up earlier because I was worried about the Kona troubles. I guess that would hold for 2019+ EV Souls as well for the lucky Europeans.

Westy543 posted:

I haven't had any phantom braking yet, at least :sweatdrop:
I get phantom braking in my Cascadia because sometimes it detects overhead signs or bridges as something I might collide with (COLLISION DETECTION WARNING and loud beeping). It's Interstate 10, those signs are higher than 13'6", gently caress off. It's to the point I rarely use cruise control, I just keep the pedal on the floor because it's limited to 65.

The tech needs a lot of work.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thank you all for the great discussion

I have a test drive scheduled for a long range model 3, but it looks like they have a 3 month wait list for orders. Bummer. It's not like I need a car at this second but I may try test driving the niro and maybe the mustang

Any mustang owners in this thread have thoughts to share?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Canadians get the new Soul. Jealous. You could import a 2020 with a small amount of work, just no warranty. There were a very small of 2020s that Kia brought to the U.S. and are warrantied but the dealer near me has a huge markup on the one they got.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Charles posted:

The Canadians get the new Soul. Jealous. You could import a 2020 with a small amount of work, just no warranty. There were a very small of 2020s that Kia brought to the U.S. and are warrantied but the dealer near me has a huge markup on the one they got.

Holding out for the dang EV6, but what’s extra good about this version of the Soul?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Driving the Kia Niro EV from near sea level in Carlsbad, CA to Idyllwild,CA (5300ft) turned out not to be an issue. Up to 101°F at times. AC on. 2 people, a poodle and a lot of luggage.

First time I did this since I got the car. Really nice and I’m sure I’ll get back without any need to charge.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 20, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

Holding out for the dang EV6, but what’s extra good about this version of the Soul?

93 miles for the 2015-2017, 111 for 2018-2019, Chademo and aircooled for both, so it dies in hot climates.
2020+: Watercooled battery, 243 mile range, CCS. So basically a real car and not just a compliance car.

Also a little bit bigger for the latest gen but still a decent size if you're into smaller cars. Kind of ugly though! I'm holding out for the Ioniq 5 but I won't be able to afford it for a while.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Charles posted:

My mom drives a regular first gen Soul and loves it and I have a friend who is looking at getting an EV and if Kia properly brought the new EV Soul to the US they would have two sales from contacts in my phone.

I was so dang excited to meet an EV Soul driver here in NC in a random parking lot happenstance. He had it shipped from Maryland, and his wife drove a Bolt. It was like yours, the first EV/second gen Soul.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Charles posted:

93 miles for the 2015-2017, 111 for 2018-2019, Chademo and aircooled for both, so it dies in hot climates.
2020+: Watercooled battery, 243 mile range, CCS. So basically a real car and not just a compliance car.

Also a little bit bigger for the latest gen but still a decent size if you're into smaller cars. Kind of ugly though! I'm holding out for the Ioniq 5 but I won't be able to afford it for a while.

Wow I didn’t realize the older ones were that limited. I’m not a huge fan of the Soul’s looks tho so I’ll be saving up for a E-GMP platform too most likely. The Mach-E also seems interesting depending on how well it would fit 3 kids and a dog.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

McPhearson posted:

I've never once turned off a/c while going through a car wash. Should I start doing that?

You know, now that you ask I have no idea why. It's just something I've always done.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I imagine it's no worse than having your AC on while it's raining.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
it gets hot af in a car wash with no a/c what the hell are you doing

edit: fcevs are not eligible for a discount at shell if you get a car wash

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CannonFodder posted:

My mom drives a regular first gen Soul and loves it and I have a friend who is looking at getting an EV and if Kia properly brought the new EV Soul to the US they would have two sales from contacts in my phone.

I was so dang excited to meet an EV Soul driver here in NC in a random parking lot happenstance. He had it shipped from Maryland, and his wife drove a Bolt. It was like yours, the first EV/second gen Soul.

There was a 2020 for sale north of me for $40k with a warranty and all that but I don't see it anymore.

The 1st Gen is better than an actual compliance car but is still a first gen EV for sure. I still love it though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Driving the Kia Niro EV from near sea level in Carlsbad, CA to Idyllwild,CA (5300ft) turned out not to be an issue. Up to 101°F at times. AC on. 2 people, a poodle and a lot of luggage.

First time I did this since I got the car. Really nice and I’m sure I’ll get back without any need to charge.

When we passed the barrel of water near the top of the climb on I-84, I chuckled. I mean, hardly any gas car has the radiator boil over these days, and as electrics take off that barrel is going to just get more anachronistic.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://youtu.be/FyZd4_2unFM

The "defroster" is just too much.

Things have come a long way.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was at the Subaru dealer getting some work done on my car and they had a Crosstrek PHEV in stock for $40,000. It's crazy that it's that much with such low battery only mileage that it doesn't qualify for my stars state's electric/PHEV refund program.

It's also crazy how much better something like the Rav 4 prime is on paper while being a similar MSRP. Subaru is really behind on electric cars, which is disappointing considering they've been advertising themselves as cars-for-hippies-and-lesbians for so long.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yeah, since Subaru doesn't have any BEVs, I'm just gaying up my Tesla instead:

Waiting for my permanent plates to arrive to put this one on:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ah, thread title came through.

Here's a pretty awesome thing which I don't think has been mentioned, McMurtry Spéirling.

60 kWh, simulated WLTP of 350 miles but not at all road legal. 0 - 300 kph in 9 seconds, 1000 hp per ton, 80 hp downforce fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azOMEY9Z8sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlIyPr6biXg&t=195s

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Westy543 posted:

Yeah, since Subaru doesn't have any BEVs, I'm just gaying up my Tesla instead:

Waiting for my permanent plates to arrive to put this one on:

:aaa: may I ask where you got the license plate

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well Rivian just got some cool press, Bezos is taking one to the shuttle he's going up in today.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That's only good news if the Rivian guys rigged it to fill the cabin with poison gas

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mattfl posted:

Well Rivian just got some cool press, Bezos is taking one to the shuttle he's going up in today.

He should have ridden a bike between two of 'em.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
With the E-Niro, when going through a car wash, I have to lock the doors which also locks the charging plug cover.

That's one of the flaws of the Niro, the charging location is in the front and gets covered in bugs and is not easy to clean and I really hope it's sturdy. If I ever hit a deer it's fuuuucked

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Hawkperson posted:

:aaa: may I ask where you got the license plate

Here! https://www.zazzle.com/lesbian_flag_license_plate_frame-256051399109259116

There's also one with the newer flag here, but I liked the colors of the other one to match my Tesla's red more. https://www.zazzle.com/lesbian_pride_flag_lgbtq_license_plate_frame-256458647102923372

This one was in the running too, but felt a little too loud https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0158VM2JM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_F8SMQJGK8NS346P4TVVW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 plus I didn't want dudes seeing it to be like "so what? I kiss girls too :smugdog: "

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 20, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I was at the Subaru dealer getting some work done on my car and they had a Crosstrek PHEV in stock for $40,000. It's crazy that it's that much with such low battery only mileage that it doesn't qualify for my stars state's electric/PHEV refund program.

It's also crazy how much better something like the Rav 4 prime is on paper while being a similar MSRP. Subaru is really behind on electric cars, which is disappointing considering they've been advertising themselves as cars-for-hippies-and-lesbians for so long.

the RAV 4 Prime is extremely better on paper and also in reality in every possible way other than having a Subaru badge if you care about such things

dunno why Subaru's advertising campaigns should have any real bearing on the products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

stevewm posted:

https://youtu.be/FyZd4_2unFM

The "defroster" is just too much.

Things have come a long way.

lol, yeah, literal hair dryer. It's interesting tho that it seems that even with the tech they had at the time, if a real, well-funded group tried to make an electric car they could have made a compelling one.