Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ex Mods Poll Opinions (+current IK +current mod)
This poll is closed.
Relax or Die: i'll tell you what it is: posting theft 10 0.07%
ShallNoiseUpon: i have reported oddium for stealing posting valor i hope the moderators will sort this out post haste 14 0.09%
Cheetah7071: more like snoreson smells 18 0.12%
Oddium: no poll for solidarity with mobile users 36 0.24%
Metis: I promise never to interfere in poll results 15001 99.46%
Hmmmmmm. 4 0.03%
Total: 15083 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I make sure to punch every chest of box or container I come across in case of mimicry

IIRC in DS3 chests are extra fragile so this runs the risk of getting nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rarity posted:

How do you know if they're mimics without opening them? :thunkher:

look at the chain

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Did ds2 have mimic chains?

Btw mimics > traps

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Undertale taught me missing content is a-okay

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wuggles posted:

Undertale taught me missing content is a-okay

Undertale taught me its gameplay wasn't nearly good enough to even try

More like blunderfail

actually it was ok, 7/10 game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

victrix posted:

someone make a game with a completion percentage that goes down when you make mutually exclusive choices

also every skill and item is consumable

Ah, a SaGa game

Jay Rust posted:

Did ds2 have mimic chains?

Btw mimics > traps

King's Field 2's trapped chests were cool because you would open the chest and a skeleton would stand up out of it and stab you. You let them out and they give you the ol' thank shank

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

victrix posted:

someone make a game with a completion percentage that goes down when you make mutually exclusive choices

Every RPG with trophies tied to different paths effectively does this

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm long past the point of having to wring every last ounce of content out of a game unless I'm absolutely in love with it

nowadays with less free time in general and the massive list of cheap/already bought poo poo I need to play it doesn't make any sense

there are more games than ever available, they're cheaper than ever in general because of digital sales/how many games I can emulate or get used, and they also keep making the drat things!!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

IIRC in DS3 chests are extra fragile so this runs the risk of getting nothing

That’s a thing from DS2, they went back to “it’s unbreakable or a mimic” in DS3.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've still got almost 50 games on my wishlist that come out later this year..

Renaine, Sable, Antipole DX, Mineko's Night Market, Okinawa Rush, Port Valley, Gamedec, Here Comes Niko, Get in the Car Loser, Eastward, ProtoCorgi, Bushiden, Unsighted, Garden Story, 12 Minutes, Grime, Unpacking, The Big Con, Arietta of Spirits, Bonfire Peaks, Rubi the Wayward Mira, Industria, Fire Tonight, Exophobia, Transmute, Moncage, Ghost on the Shore, Gestalt: Steam & Cinder, Patrick's Parabox, Land of Screens, Steel Assault, Whisker Squadron (probably will remove this one), Toem, Princess Farmer, Demon Turf, Dread Templar, Kitaria Fables, Moonglow Bay, Effigy, Webbed, Dodgeball Academia, Escape Simulator, Dead Estate, Hoa, Transiruby, Conway, Cats in Time, Lost Nova, Eden.schemata();, and OU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In Shadow Hearts Covenant and Shadow Hearts From The New World, your party members gained additional skills through progressing game-spanning character-specific sidequests. I doubt they are the only rpgs to ever do this. Are there any other party-based rpgs, recent or otherwise, that specifically tie new character abilities to sidequests rather than just leveling up or using a skill tree?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This week I am looking forward to playing the New World closed beta test, and Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
RIP my SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS™ playthrough, after battle the game is stuck permanently on the loading screen. Apparently this is just a thing that happens to some people?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

In Shadow Hearts Covenant and Shadow Hearts From The New World, your party members gained additional skills through progressing game-spanning character-specific sidequests. I doubt they are the only rpgs to ever do this. Are there any other party-based rpgs, recent or otherwise, that specifically tie new character abilities to sidequests rather than just leveling up or using a skill tree?

Mass Effect games and FO:NV also do this and it's great

I need to do another FO:NV run sometime

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Huh, ok. I guess it was a VC redist issue, reinstalling all of them fixed it.

Really glad, this game is really doing it for me so far

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just wanna remind people this exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN-zHSvDc1g

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I listen to 20 minutes of radio each morning and most songs sound like a hamster on valium is singing them

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My brain has been further damaged so every time I hear sucker for you brain keeps waiting for it to go "I'm a sucker for SHANARI SHANARI OJOU SAMA"

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

My first thought is Final Fantasy 8, where Zell and Rinoa learn new limit breaks from magazines scattered around the world.

It's definitely not a common thing though, and it's super cool so more games should do it imo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Infinitum posted:

I'm off work for a minimum of 2 weeks cause :lol: Covid.

So I bought Ace Combat 7 while it was on sale off the back of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZJnLYvio0

Currently playing Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and it's gorgeous as hell. Feeling like I'm 3/4 of the way through it.

Up next is Skyward Sword, I've never played it and I'm excited.

Then I'll find out what JPEG Dog is all about

Make sure to tell us what color the sky is up there

Edit: that was for Ace Combat but I guess it applies to Zelda too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I should take MIXER for another spin, see what the new DLC is like

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I got a mod for final fantasy XII that makes it so that Steal gambits will only activate if a target has something to steal. PC’s modding capabilities win once again

Oh my god dude, I need to get that. Even then, sometimes Vaan or Balthier will run away to steal from a target that we haven't aggro'd yet, then they're close enough to something else and before I know it, wow, that's a lot of Wus.

VideoGames posted:

I will open every chest that falls in my path. All chests shall be opened. Unless they are mimics.

I do this in ff12 and it's annoying, even with a mod that makes all chests have 100% chance of appearing or whatever it fixed. Most em are crap, sometimes seriously 3 or 4 gil, or a basic potion you have too many of. Thing is, in some areas there will be one or two good chests with an ability or technique that is important, you can't know without a guide map open and even then somehow that's the one chest you didn't pick up, really, loving hell.

FirstAidKite posted:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker has this for the NPCs, some also impart a boon to your PC depending on if and how you resolved their storylines.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Smooth" by Santana f/ Rob Thomas continues to be a classic bop, always worth listening to when it's a hot one

Weedle
May 31, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

To be naively optimistic about their motivations: perhaps they're menu items that take longer to cook and wouldn't be suitable for a fast food menu under normal circumstances, but work perfectly well for when you order in advance and arrive to find your food ready for you

people mostly don’t do that though. they sit in the parking lot, order on their phone and then get mad when it isn’t ready immediately

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Walla posted:

Taco Bell Fun Fact:

The meat, nacho cheese and black beans are frozen in bags and are reheated in a device called a rethermalizer. It's just a giant pot of almost boiling water. The refried beans are dehydrated however, and you simply add a gallon of boiling water to a bag of powder. Also the deep fryer is only cleaned every 3 or 4 days if the management is competent, and is only filtered when it's cleaned.

most if not all chain restaurants use rethermalisers. my wife has ultra-tough restaurant hands and she is constantly just reaching into her rethermaliser with her bare hands to get soups and poo poo out, but then she has to stop the newbies from thinking a normal person can just do that

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Stux posted:

look at the chain

you can also see them breathing slowly if you look close. it rules. what a creepy-rear end monster. i loved that sometimes the ones in ds2 would flip over and scuttle around on all fours

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Are you ready for a new Tom Calancy game, but this time with attitude??

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Which tom clancy game series was the one where you died in only 2 or 3 shots? Ghost Recon?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Baller Time posted:

Are you ready for a new Tom Calancy game, but this time with attitude??
XD

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

A really irreverent and rebellious take on logos

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Which tom clancy game series was the one where you died in only 2 or 3 shots? Ghost Recon?
Lots of them, I think. They tended towards realism and a lot of them were built around having teams of guys who could be injured or die in a mission.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remembered the character's name which was Ding Chavez and was able to look up what game he was from. It's rainbow six (idk which ones though) and I just remember seeing an x-play review that kept saying "DING Chavez" and that Ding could take a total of 2 or 3 bullets before dying. Something like that. I might be mixing it together with another X-Play Tom Clancy review.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Oh my god dude, I need to get that. Even then, sometimes Vaan or Balthier will run away to steal from a target that we haven't aggro'd yet, then they're close enough to something else and before I know it, wow, that's a lot of Wus.

The mod plus the “Foe: party leader’s target” condition fixes this :)

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 19, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1417183161759408128?s=19

Oh my loving God it really was Tom Clancy's Overwatch

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What even is Tom Clancy as a brand at this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Imagining Tom Clancy's face next to a game with an XD emoticon in its logo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Between that and the Gundam Overwatch just announced I'm just surprised people still give a poo poo about Overwatch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Tom Clancy games have really lost their identity over the years. They have moved towards being games as a live service titles, which kinda isnt or shouldnt be the point of something that is known for telling stories through 2000 page books. The Splinter Cell series was the most on brand for Tom Clancy. Siege is the most popular TC game, but the least on brand for it too.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

FirstAidKite posted:

In Radiant Historia, every party member has a sidequest that involves trading scrolls found around the world to a teacher in order to teach them new skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

The Tom Clancy games have really lost their identity over the years. They have moved towards being games as a live service titles, which kinda isnt or shouldnt be the point of something that is known for telling stories through 2000 page books. The Splinter Cell series was the most on brand for Tom Clancy. Siege is the most popular TC game, but the least on brand for it too.

I'm sure it comes down to a rights issue but it's mad to me that Ubisoft just makes poo poo up to slap Tom Clancy's name on when he had huge well known properties like Jack Ryan waiting to be bled to death.