Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Arivia posted:

He was afraid of loving air conditioning. Dude took severe anxiety to a whole other level.
I mean it is actually (slightly to somewhat)) bad for you and a component of the pandemic, maybe that's not so crazy at the moment

jk he's loving nutters but hey that's why his stuff works. Need a little insanity to share with people.

Man I hope id's next project is a new Quake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean it is actually (slightly to somewhat)) bad for you and a component of the pandemic, maybe that's not so crazy at the moment

Not where I live where it’s over 100 degrees almost every day in the summer. I know what you mean though.

I’m really looking forward to playing Dusk on Switch with gyro aiming. Hopefully they add it to the pc version since Steam Deck will also have that option.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's the great part about Steam Input - if you have a controller with good motion controls you can have gyro aiming in whatever game you want.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Spiderdrake posted:

jk he's loving nutters but hey that's why his stuff works. Need a little insanity to share with people.

Man I hope id's next project is a new Quake.

I think the biggest challenge a Quake revival will have is forging an identity that will allow it to stand out in the modern market, especially since Doom 2016 and Eternal ended up borrowing a lot of Quake bits, though in turn I can see a new Quake borrowing some things from those two(in particular I think it would be a great opportunity to bring back Snap Map but this time the whole game is built from the ground up to use it so there isn't that disconnect that Doom 2016 had between it's three modes due to them all being developed by different studios)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

just bring back the medieval horror theme and make it even more depraved. the dark souls 3 of twitch fpses

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

is this a loving hypnospace outlaw fps spinoff https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1414603815207178249

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Weedle posted:

just bring back the medieval horror theme and make it even more depraved. the dark souls 3 of twitch fpses

True the Quake 1 style would definitely stand out better than the Quake 2/4 style, though it's Definitely important to keep the sci-fi aspects like the Tech Base levels and enemies in, indeed I'd probably make them a little more important as they often feel a tad like an afterthought in the default Quake 1 campaign(haven't played the mission packs yet so maybe that changes up in those), particularly since the Ogre is basically the only enemy in the fantasy levels that maintains any of the science aspects in its design

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yup! I think Gaspy posted it in here himself a little while ago.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So what's the best Source Port for Quake II, tried Yagami and it seems fine but not quite as good as Quakespasm Spiked has been for the first game

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Awesome. Gonna try this later! Thanks :)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also beat the main campaign for Quake 1 and moved onto Scourge of Armagon and it's first couple levels definitely fix the issue I had mentioned about the Tech Base levels being underused and the new weapons are pretty neat, though the first fantasy level Ancient Realms is mean like you're barely into it and they start tossing Shamblers and Vores at you before you have anything more potent than a Nailgun or Grenade Launcher(and not much ammo for either), and I'm on easy here I can only imagine how brutal it must be on say Nightmare(wonder if this is why Civvie didn't do the expansions for either of his Quake videos)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Remember when I said retro shooters could use more djent in their diet? Well,

https://twitter.com/Awesreek/status/1413916466710302726

Weedle
May 31, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

True the Quake 1 style would definitely stand out better than the Quake 2/4 style, though it's Definitely important to keep the sci-fi aspects like the Tech Base levels and enemies in, indeed I'd probably make them a little more important as they often feel a tad like an afterthought in the default Quake 1 campaign(haven't played the mission packs yet so maybe that changes up in those), particularly since the Ogre is basically the only enemy in the fantasy levels that maintains any of the science aspects in its design

it should be pure medieval for the first few hours and then you encounter a boss creature that opens its mouth impossibly wide to emit a grinding digital scream before undergoing a grotesque transformation into a flesh-metal hybrid. then things get weird

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Civvie gets into the CEO mindset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4NLbIxzQ4

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
So with the release of his Cruelty Squad video, I finally got around to watching content by this Civvie dude.

He seems pretty cool!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I havent beat them game idc i watched all of it

also im old enough to see PCGamer give a game a 90+ score and think its a big deal

why was Greg Vederman my fav PCGamer writer? I wish i knew

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was surprised when I saw the reviews because I'd checked soon after release and there was only one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PepsimanVsJoe posted:

So with the release of his Cruelty Squad video, I finally got around to watching content by this Civvie dude.

He seems pretty cool!

You should check more. If you have the time, start from older videos so you understand more of his style (or gimmick). He's a thread favourite.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

verbal enema posted:

I havent beat them game idc i watched all of it

also im old enough to see PCGamer give a game a 90+ score and think its a big deal

why was Greg Vederman my fav PCGamer writer? I wish i knew

He was writing when my dad switched to CGW, but we'd end up with a few PCGamers a year and I know I always liked The Vede's articles. I miss the coconut monkey too. Hell, I think I just miss magazines. The internet's better and more effective at getting information out, but there was just something about getting a magazine you know?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I spent an embarrassing amount of time this past year searching through old PC Gamer magazine archives searching for a demo disc demo I've never been able to recall or find (a textureless, primitive looking early 3D game where you direct a microchip looking robotic spider/bug thing through dangerous environments with a weird control scheme, it's beside the point I guess) and magazines really are powerful. I don't think I can pinpoint exactly why either but it's probably to do with some mix of nostalgia, the tactile element, getting free game demos every month when I couldn't afford games of my own, and being the target demographic for the particular brand of "badass" advertising the 90's specialized in.

It's a real good time just flipping through some old PCG magazines and letting the memories of sights, smells and emotions run through you. I wish I were capable of being that excited over anything on earth these days. The online archives are nice particularly since you can download a lot of the demo disc .iso's but I wish I had the real deal around. Maybe the library has some tucked away.

e; Back in the 56k days maps, mods and skins were a bit more novel and more of a chore to acquire, so getting some bonus material on the demo discs was appreciated and felt like a special present when you actually happened to own the game they were for. I still remember padshop being my introduction to coconut monkey and USS Darkstar is still somehow one of my absolute favorite SP half-life mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COlB69qpowk

treat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 18, 2021

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

treat posted:

I spent an embarrassing amount of time this past year searching through old PC Gamer magazine archives searching for a demo disc demo I've never been able to recall or find (a textureless, primitive looking early 3D game where you direct a microchip looking robotic spider/bug thing through dangerous environments with a weird control scheme, it's beside the point I guess) and magazines really are powerful. I don't think I can pinpoint exactly why either but it's probably to do with some mix of nostalgia, the tactile element, getting free game demos every month when I couldn't afford games of my own, and being the target demographic for the particular brand of "badass" advertising the 90's specialized in.

It's a real good time just flipping through some old PCG magazines and letting the memories of sights, smells and emotions run through you. I wish I were capable of being that excited over anything on earth these days. The online archives are nice particularly since you can download a lot of the demo disc .iso's but I wish I had the real deal around. Maybe the library has some tucked away.

Galapagos
I also played it off a demo disc. The big deal was that the insect was supposed to “learn” from your actions and either trust or distrust you.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

treat posted:

e; Back in the 56k days maps, mods and skins were a bit more novel and more of a chore to acquire, so getting some bonus material on the demo discs was appreciated and felt like a special present when you actually happened to own the game they were for. I still remember padshop being my introduction to coconut monkey and USS Darkstar, the PCG Half-Life mod, is still somehow one of my absolute favorite SP half-life mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COlB69qpowk

PC Gamer was how I discovered USS Darkstar and They Hunger

Also the game you're thinking of, was it by any chance Galapagos?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

czg posted:

Galapagos
I also played it off a demo disc. The big deal was that the insect was supposed to “learn” from your actions and either trust or distrust you.

:aaaaa:

oh my god thank you, I've spent ages looking for this

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm bummed someone beat me to Galapagos: Mendel's Escape. I probably only remember it because of that name.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Okay jeez, now I'm starting to get annoyed that this many people could have saved me actual hours of work if I'd just asked sooner

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

treat posted:

I love/hate quests like these. A quick search for "PC Gamer CD contents" linked to a dead link but the Internet archive has it here: https://web.archive.org/web/20180715110709/http://www.blackfalcongames.net/?p=183 Nothing on the lists struck me as the one, but maybe it will help trigger the memory?

Totally already beaten, but I love the Wayback Machine.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I was using the Internet Archive https://archive.org/details/pcgamer-cdroms and it's no surprise I wasn't able to find Galapagos, it's demo is only listed as appearing in the May 1998 Italian edition of PCG.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

catlord posted:

He was writing when my dad switched to CGW, but we'd end up with a few PCGamers a year and I know I always liked The Vede's articles. I miss the coconut monkey too. Hell, I think I just miss magazines. The internet's better and more effective at getting information out, but there was just something about getting a magazine you know?

the Gravy Trader easter egg in Darkstar :allears:

also

drat that monkey

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

the Gravy Trader easter egg in Darkstar :allears:

also

drat that monkey

I'm really surprised nobody's tried to make an actual Gravy Trader game even just as like a small gag game or prototype.

Or any of the "Dip and Twiddle" games

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Gordon, have you been able to get Gravy Trader running?

USS Darkstar and They Hunger are the two best Half-Life mods ever. :allears:

Also

https://twitter.com/matttwood/status/1416857700948865024

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd pay serious bucks to see Duke's IP out of 2K/Gearbox's hands and someone finishing DNF2001 release. I've seen that trailer over a hundred times easily :smith:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Guillermus posted:

I'd pay serious bucks to see Duke's IP out of 2K/Gearbox's hands and someone finishing DNF2001 release. I've seen that trailer over a hundred times easily :smith:

I was just reading some old posts by Fredrick Shreiber, one of the original devs back in the day, and the setup, pacing, setpieces, etc of the 2001 version of DNF sounds like it would have been my dream single player FPS campaign.

:negative:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maybe some day... I don't care how dated would be graphic wise. Just let me play the drat thing :saddowns:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It feels like we're not too far away from a world where devs can put up (and even charge for) prototype/beta/cancelled builds of iconic games. Hell, some Rareware dudes leaked an unreleased version of Goldeneye only a couple of months ago...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Duke Forever fan-made mod that fans put together in the build engine is pretty drat great. I know its not exactly what you're looking for, but its a fantastic recreation of what we all imagine could have been.

Amazing how many IPs just languish out in the ether, Duke included.

The goldeneye leak is a) impressive b) 99% finished and 110% playable and c) incredibly easy to install and enjoy.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wasn't that 2001 E3 demo apparently 100% scripted and not even really playable?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

Wasn't that 2001 E3 demo apparently 100% scripted and not even really playable?
It was a mixture of real in-game stuff, proof-of-concepts that hadn't been fully integrated into the game proper yet and a few things scripted specifically for the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The further you get before the projected release date, the more spit and baling wire is involved in the E3 demo