Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like that as a solution for time travel. "Well, people seem like they're not gonna loving stop so let's just make it easier not to poo poo up the timeline..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

PenisMonkey posted:

I thought the different uniforms was for telling roughly what year it is when you inevitably travel back in time to check out some tribbles.

it's this.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked in Star Trek Online where it shows the Federation has a specific transmission code for "I'm from the future, render assistance and delete this encounter from your logs"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It was just brought to my attention that Captain Jellico is Ronny fuckin Cox???

He is and he's fantastic. The only person to give Riker all the poo poo that he rightfully deserves.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Danaru posted:

In season one of Voyager, Janeway meets her spirit animal with Chakotay's help and it's a lizard lmao
And people say that Voyager doesn’t have continuity

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

It was just brought to my attention that Captain Jellico is Ronny fuckin Cox???

This is correct. One of the great villains of Sci Fi and 80s/90s movies is Jellico, the man who was the right kind of rear end in a top hat to make the Enterprise D better and put Troi in a uniform.

I like over time people came around to him

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Jellico did nothing wrong.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

mycomancy posted:

Jellico did nothing wrong.

But I don't wanna be on delta shift

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Jellico Cats

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Four rotations instead of three would give more people time off and let them be sharper during their shifts which was vital for the operation he was running. Nothing Jellico did was wrong. He took Riker's suggestions under advisement about the crew and then when Riker efused to carry out the orders and was insubordinate he tossed his rear end out because he doesn't need some jumped up pretty boy hogging the XO position on the flagship to undermine him at a critical moment.

And even then he was able to put aside Riker's rear end in a top hat behavior and ask him to fly the shuttle assignment because he needs the best for the mission regardless of personal feelings.

Jellico kicks rear end.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Speaking as a night shift worker managers who arbitrarily gently caress with everybody's hours are the worst

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Six years into the show and Jellico is the very first person to question why a Lt. Commander is walking around the bridge in space pajamas.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tighclops posted:

Speaking as a night shift worker managers who arbitrarily gently caress with everybody's hours are the worst

It wasn't arbitrary. The ship was going into a possible war situation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't believe that they didn't have harmless sleep aids available. there were multiple episodes where those weren't effective for various reasons, after all.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

great time to gently caress with everybody's sleeping schedule

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dabir posted:

And he actually explained clearly to his staff the exact reason for the changes he was making, heard out objection, and just generally seemed to make a big effort to always keep them in the loop about everything he was doing and why. Other than maybe the schedule changes -and were not given enough information to know if it was or not- everything he did was a pretty straight forward good call.

Honestly as far as onscreen starfleet captain goes, he's up there with the best (although yeah, not a terribly high bar).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't believe that they didn't have harmless sleep aids available. there were multiple episodes where those weren't effective for various reasons, after all.

Actual great laugh out loud moment in Threshold where Paris has come back from the shuttle unconscious for the first time and they're concerned, the doctor says as far as he can tell he's just sleeping. Janeway asks if it's safe to wake him and the Doctor says "I don't see why not." Then Janeway says "Ok then, wake him". Rather than a hypospray, the Doctor just leans down and yells "WAKE UP MR PARIS!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tighclops posted:

several days in advance of it so people had plenty of time to settle in? yeah agreed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's also shortening their shifts, so they have a better period to adjust in.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Gatts posted:

This is correct. One of the great villains of Sci Fi and 80s/90s movies is Jellico, the man who was the right kind of rear end in a top hat to make the Enterprise D better and put Troi in a uniform.

It also served as reminder for Patrick Steward that yes, we are now on season 6 but you still are not irreplaceable.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gatts posted:

I think that's why so many people have a problem with Jellico. Make the most reasonable, good-natured character, and if you cast Ronny Cox, people are gonna think Robocop, Total Recall, and SG-1.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Are we supposed to see the crew as anything other than petulant children in Chain of Command? The crew often acts that way but are somehow written as if the audience is supposed to agree with them, but in COC they’re totally just being stupid crybabies every step of the way in a situation where the episode doesn’t justify their crybaby bullshit

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jellico is right but he’s a dick about it

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Actual great laugh out loud moment in Threshold where Paris has come back from the shuttle unconscious for the first time and they're concerned, the doctor says as far as he can tell he's just sleeping. Janeway asks if it's safe to wake him and the Doctor says "I don't see why not." Then Janeway says "Ok then, wake him". Rather than a hypospray, the Doctor just leans down and yells "WAKE UP MR PARIS!"

Lol I remember laughing too.

People give Voyager a lot of poo poo, but the humour they go for with the doctor almost always solidly lands, which is a lot more than you can say for almost every other character across the different series.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That episode also has a manic Paris tell the doctor about when he lost his virginity and the Doctor replies "I'll be sure to note that in your file"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jellico is right but he’s a dick about it

I mean, he's Dick Jones, so that tracks.

Tighclops posted:

If Starfleet doesn't want to have standing combat vessels to respond to potential threats of war then they should learn to deal with it. War doesn't come about when people are ready for it. Jellico was prepping the crew for a worst case scenario on short notice.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 19, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lol I remember laughing too.

People give Voyager a lot of poo poo, but the humour they go for with the doctor almost always solidly lands, which is a lot more than you can say for almost every other character across the different series.
Voyager's greatest sin is encasing Robert Picardo' Doctor in its grotesque shell

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

captain jelly day :))

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Starting to see why they keep making Star Trek shows where everyone is an rear end in a top hat lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they made a Jellico spinoff where old Ronnie Cox yells at everyone I'd watch it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

:words:
Jellico
Season Six was the first full season without Gene Roddenberry. The writers were testing how far
they could stretch the "Starfeet officers don't argue" while showing they didn't get along.

ST writers complained about that rule but it forced them get creative finding other avenues of dramatic conflict. There would've been a lot of lazy writing without it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

If they made a Jellico spinoff where old Ronnie Cox yells at everyone I'd watch it.

Ronald Moore did that with Admiral Cain in BSG.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mAz0PxiUaM Might as well post the one I was talking about then!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, so if you go from each crewmember doing 1 8 hour watch to 1 6 hour watch, that means that either they got more crew from somewhere and never mentioned it. Or each department is just doing less stuff as there are fewer crew members per watch. Or they're doing something bullshitty like watch and watch, or 1 watch on, 2 watches off.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CainFortea posted:

Okay, so if you go from each crewmember doing 1 8 hour watch to 1 6 hour watch, that means that either they got more crew from somewhere and never mentioned it. Or each department is just doing less stuff as there are fewer crew members per watch. Or they're doing something bullshitty like watch and watch, or 1 watch on, 2 watches off.

And now the word just sounds funny. Watch watch watch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Automatic Slim posted:

Ronald Moore did that with Admiral Cain in BSG.

Cain was squandered so hard in BSG. Also I dint think Jellico would tolerate rapists. He might have worked with Dukat on Mars but that was a one time gig that ended in explosive decompression.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

CainFortea posted:

That was one of Riker’s problems with reorganizing. He had to pull people from other departments leaving things like “science” understaffed to fill the slots.

Don’t they have scheduling AIs in the 24th century? If Geordi can call up holo Leah Brahms can’t Riker call up holo HR?

Going back to Riker’s pissy attitude, he saved the Federation from the Borg, he’s the XO of the Federation’s flagship. The moment he asks for a “transfer” he’s getting his own command. Of course, he’s going to have an attitude.

Bonus: Jellico and Thomas Riker get along great.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Cain was squandered so hard in BSG. Also I dint think Jellico would tolerate rapists.

I was talking more about the vibe, not the details.

Arcsquad12 posted:

He might have worked with Dukat on Mars but that was a one time gig that ended in explosive decompression.

Ronny Cox has some of the best deaths in science fiction.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 20, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Automatic Slim posted:

That was one of Riker’s problems with reorganizing. He had to pull people from other departments leaving things like “science” understaffed to fill the slots.

Science would even be understandable but he reassigned a third of engineering to security. At the same time he implemented rush plans to rewire half the ship which Data and Geordi explicitly told him would require everyone in engineering (pre-reassignment) working extra shifts to get done on time.

He was bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe he was used to ships where security isn't a cruel, pathetic joke at worf's expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

Ronny Cox has some of the best deaths in science fiction.

Ole Ronny "broomstick arms" Cox in Robocop is still my favourite.