Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That's normally the case for me, I just really drifted off on one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

0konner posted:

I hear about how “stiff” different wrestling rings are in different companies or different eras.

How stiff are combat sport mats for actual sports? Is there a standard for professional boxing? Is there a standard for mma? Are these surfaces for actual athletics just built completely differently in a way that
makes this question foolish?

It was explained to me by my trainer that a boxing ring is a lot like a wrestling ring, except there are support beams throughout the ring floor to give it more stability than a wrestling ring. The padding is also less in a boxing ring. Both are to help with footwork. You can bump on it, I took a few that my trainer advised against, but you aren't going to want to do a lot of bumps on it.

I've also heard that the stiffness of a boxing ring is why lucha employs a lot more rolls than flat bumps; because back in the day they would be on the same cards, so it was roll or ruin your back super fast.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

0konner posted:

I hear about how “stiff” different wrestling rings are in different companies or different eras.

How stiff are combat sport mats for actual sports? Is there a standard for professional boxing? Is there a standard for mma? Are these surfaces for actual athletics just built completely differently in a way that
makes this question foolish?

The padding in a martial arts mat is going to be nowhere near as shock absorbing as most wrestling rings today. A judo mat or a wrestling mat will protect you from a normal throw at regular human height (provided you know how to fall) but I really don't think I'd want to take like, a superplex on even a 2 inch judo mat on concrete. It's essentially the type of matting you see on the outside of the ring. My source on this is a few years of judo and a few years of BJJ and one trial class at one of the lucha libre schools here.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Even a bad 1 hour weekly show is usually a real easy watch, at least to me.

Speaking of, when did NWA go to a weekly PPV model? When you said "bad 1 hour weekly show" I thought "hm I'll go watch the most recent Powerrr" but I guess it's not free on YT anymore?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Golden Bee posted:

Jericho’s books are OK, I read the first three, but they get worse as they go along.

I enjoyed the first book quite a bit, the second one was a slog to get through and I basically only finished it because it was there and I paid for it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hellblazer187 posted:

Speaking of, when did NWA go to a weekly PPV model? When you said "bad 1 hour weekly show" I thought "hm I'll go watch the most recent Powerrr" but I guess it's not free on YT anymore?

Yeah. $4.99 a week for individual episodes, or you can subscribe for a month to get access to every show they run that month & the archives.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah. $4.99 a week for individual episodes, or you can subscribe for a month to get access to every show they run that month & the archives.

Is there any word on how well that model is working out for them? With so much wrestling out there for free I find it hard to believe people would pay $5 an episode... but now I see the monthly cost is also $5 so that's a bit more understandable. Do we have an NWA thread?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is there any word on how well that model is working out for them? With so much wrestling out there for free I find it hard to believe people would pay $5 an episode... but now I see the monthly cost is also $5 so that's a bit more understandable. Do we have an NWA thread?

Yeah, it's over here. Everyone just stopped enjoying it once Jim Cornette was incredibly racist on an episode of Powerrr and the thread has since gone back to focusing on how much of a mess the NWA is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

The only people watching are podcasters that cover the show. It doesn't help that they are doing poo poo like running 20 minute episodes where they cancel the main event as an angle.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Dang I had a soft spot for Powerrr.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Any live wrestling on PPV or otherwise tonight?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

There is the GCW show. I probably won't watch because the people I usually watch wrestling with are busy though.

Here is a preview:
https://lastwordonsports.com/prowrestling/2021/07/08/gcw-you-only-die-once/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

ROH. IWTV has an ICW No Holds Barred show & Paradigm Pro. There's a Sendai Girls iPPV that starts at 10:30 EST. And depending how late you want to stay up there's NJPW, NOAH, AJPW, Dragongate & SEAdLINNNG shows too

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Thanks I might get the ROH show, I’ve also been wanting to get back into
NOAH and AJPW

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Thanks I might get the ROH show, I’ve also been wanting to get back into
NOAH and AJPW

NOAH show today was very good if you fancy going back for it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Any Japanese speakers that can tell what the fan yells at Ricky Steamboat at 11:31 that pops the whole building?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49guy6yuEek

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Are there any house show/dark matches (or anything that went unfilmed) that have come to be commonly acknowledged as 5* classics purely from the anecdotes of people that happened to be there?

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 12, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Answers Me posted:

Are there any house show/dark matches that have come to be commonly acknowledged as 5* classics purely from the anecdotes of people that happened to be there?

Meltzer said Flair and Steamboat did in '89. I also remember hearing that when Matt & Jeff feuded against Edge & Christian during the leadup to the ladder match for Terri Runnels ' managerial services their house show matches were terrific ( maybe it was afterwards, it's a 20+ year old feud).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 12, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Meltzer said Flair and Steamboat did in '89. I also remember hearing that when Matt & Jeff feuded against Edge & Christian during the leadup to the ladder match for Terri Runnels ' managerial services their house show matches were terrific ( maybe it was afterwards, it's a 20+ year old feud).

Ah the Terri Invitational Tournament. Sad that it happened before Test & Albert were a team.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't the Terri Invitational Tournament post-Russo? He really infected them with his little acronym virus.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't the Terri Invitational Tournament post-Russo? He really infected them with his little acronym virus.

I think he left WWE at the start of October 99 & the TIT finals were at No Mercy at the end of October so he probably had some say in its creation.

But I bet McMahon thought it was hilarious anyway. Good poo poo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ah, the Attitude Era.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

PUPPIES

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Flair said he and Steamboat had untelevised matched in 83 which were better than their 89 feud.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TL posted:

I think Flair said he and Steamboat had untelevised matched in 83 which were better than their 89 feud.

Not impossible since 6 years of mileage might have lead to different choices in the ring, plus it's 2 of the best to ever do it

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I think he left WWE at the start of October 99 & the TIT finals were at No Mercy at the end of October so he probably had some say in its creation.

But I bet McMahon thought it was hilarious anyway. Good poo poo.

It was on the eve of one of the UK PPVs in 1999. Rebellion or Insurreccxxionn or whatever.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Where does Ethan Page buy his cool shirts? There was a link in one of the AEW threads recently but I can't find it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He buys really complicated shirts from Dan Flashes.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sharparoni posted:

Where does Ethan Page buy his cool shirts? There was a link in one of the AEW threads recently but I can't find it.

the skull one was form shein for like $20

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Thauros posted:

the skull one was form shein for like $20

That's it, thank you. I do not want to pay $1000 for a wild pattern from Dan Flashes

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sharparoni posted:

That's it, thank you. I do not want to pay $1000 for a wild pattern from Dan Flashes

Just spend all your food money on it instead of eating.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sharparoni posted:

he said his wife buys some from banana republic iirc

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Sharparoni posted:

I can't confirm but I think some of the designs he and Sky wore looked like Bonobos shirts.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ethan page should become the bape wrestler

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

better question is where hangman gets his cool cowboy shirts

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

ethan page should become the bape wrestler

Immediate heat with the Bucks once they learn what A Bathing Ape is.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Suplex Liberace posted:

better question is where hangman gets his cool cowboy shirts

Right here!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

oh man haha

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
COWBOY SHIRT
COWBOY SHIRT