Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in vaguely connected news, vintage story just put out their 1.15 update that adds a bunch of neat stuff

https://www.vintagestory.at/blog.html/news/the-homesteading-update-v1150-r287/

as a reminder it's a wholly separate engine/game made by people who used to do stuff for terrafirmacraft in minecraft and whatever else before just deciding to make their own game that's more easily moddable. if you've used the aforementioned mod you will probably recognize some of the inherent systems in this. only bringing it up here since there's no dedicated thread for it and i figure it's worth a mention. i think i've infected more than a few people on various discord servers by talking about it and convinced them to get it without actually having to try on my end, since 'modded minecraft except it doesn't take 10 minutes to load' is pretty tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Are there any good mods for it yet though?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Boba Pearl posted:

VS had a ton of cool mods from what I saw, from decorative options to a CarryOn-style ability to pick up and move whole chests, but I have no idea if any of them are compatible with the new patch (yet).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Oh poo poo don't forget Sevtech Ages. It uses the advancement system to actually gate content and runs you from primitive stone age to space with Astral sorcery and a few other magic mods. Played through the whole pack up to the moon with my wife and it was very enjoyable. We purposely took our opposite roles (she took the tech mods and I did magic) and it was really cool working through mods we hadn't done before.

Well, Sevtech Ages is interesting but the very end of it is pretty bad(the grind is very silly). My advice for others attempting the modpack is to not try to finish it. Just play until it stops being cool.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

land on the moon and immediately declare victory. doing the planets is incredibly boring

also just cheat through abyssalcraft

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Patware posted:

land on the moon and immediately declare victory. doing the planets is incredibly boring
Gotten to the point that I'm immediately wary of any pack that has Galacticraft/Advanced Rocketry. It's just not a fun mod, even less so when made wildly expensive.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It can be okay if there's actually a reason given to go there besides as a checklist. For Sevtech though it's definitely a get to space and declare victory

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Boba Pearl posted:

yeah there's a growing mod scene. it only suffers from the game not being widely known, but otherwise the game itself is much better to mod than minecraft and allows for all sorts of neat poo poo without making the game itself or servers melt.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh rad, I'm looking through their forums, and am having trouble finding the good poo poo (tm) but does it have like a really intense magic mod, or like a mount /dragon taming thing, or maybe some really indepth automation?

Or something like Minecolonies?

e: Is there a better place then here? https://mods.vintagestory.at/list/mod?&sortby=downloads&sortdir=d If they have a good automation / magic suite I'd be super down to try not laggy rear end minecraft.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

McFrugal posted:

Well, Sevtech Ages is interesting but the very end of it is pretty bad(the grind is very silly). My advice for others attempting the modpack is to not try to finish it. Just play until it stops being cool.

I feel like this is a common modpack issue where the last couple of challenges are so obnoxiously grindy that you just kinda burn out. I've got a save that's partway through the endgame of E2E Skyblock and I dropped off at some point during the process of creating chained breeder Nuclearcraft reactors for Californium. I will say, though, that at least it has you going back through your older mods to finish out their progression instead of just going full throttle Avaritia nonsense. (Though there's plenty of that, too.)

It does have advanced rocketry in it. I don't know how far you need to take it, however.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Vintage story is young mod wise, so a lot of the mods are more like what you'd see in early minecraft years.

It's great though and I'm just waiting on it to catch on. I've run a few servers and had a blast. So much easier to manage.

There is a tech mod that looks promising and is slowly turning into something like industrial craft. The base game is basically Terrafirmacraft with mechanical power at this point, it does everything better, honestly.

Reminds me a lot of the early minecraft scene, except with a better engine, native support and better server stuff.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

McFrugal posted:

Just play until it stops being cool.

This is good advice for every mod pack. At some point the pack creator's VISION is going to diverge from your venn diagram of enjoyment and that's when you should either jump ship or cheat your rear end off.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 18, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Vintage story is young mod wise, so a lot of the mods are more like what you'd see in early minecraft years.

It's great though and I'm just waiting on it to catch on. I've run a few servers and had a blast. So much easier to manage.

There is a tech mod that looks promising and is slowly turning into something like industrial craft. The base game is basically Terrafirmacraft with mechanical power at this point, it does everything better, honestly.

Reminds me a lot of the early minecraft scene, except with a better engine, native support and better server stuff.

yeah the biggest thing in vintage story's way right now is the lack of real exposure. they explicitly didn't want to be on steam for the moment, though, because of all the weird attention that would probably bring what with also being an 'early access' even though that title is kind of meaningless for this sort of game. also from what i remember from their refund policy they have beef with steam only having a 2 hour window and pretty much said 'if you don't like the game we will absolutely refund it for you and don't want to keep your money in that case', at least when it comes to buying it from the site itself.

beyond all that it's very much in the infant stages of modding for sure, but given how much...easier it is to actually get poo poo to work and the apparent breadth of what people can already pull off, i think it's going to be interesting once people really start diving into it.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Vintage Story looks great. I hope it catches on and ends up with a big modding scene. The devs sound like good people, too. I remember all the drama between the modding scene and Notch in early Minecraft development. I really like modded minecraft, but god drat is it a mess.

I'm messing around in early GT: New Horizons, and I like it. I ended up just disabling bloodmoon and infernal mods as another goon suggested. I also set it to always daytime. I'm going through withdrawal due to a lack of /dank/null in 1.7.10, but I added Iron Backpacks to get a bit of a fix. I played quite a bit of omnifactory, and loved it. Minecraft's strongpoint is definitely not its combat, and I was surprised to see how much I liked playing on peaceful mode. I like a good quest book with a guided experience. No matter how many times I play a tech or magic mod, I'll still forget what to make. Those quests really simplify things.

I bounced off SevTech Ages due to Abyssalcraft, but I'm tempted to give it another shot. I'd just cheat through abyssalcraft.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Is there any modpack with polish even close to GTNH? I wanna try something else but GT is just so well made.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

greg is.... good????

:v:

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Omnifactory is really slick. I liked the presentation. This image alone sold me on it, and I didn't regret it. It's a later version of Minecraft than GTNH too, which means some differences in mods that might keep things interesting if you played GTNH.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SynthesisAlpha posted:

This is good advice for every mod pack. At some point the pack creator's VISION is going to diverge from your vent diagram of enjoyment and that's when you should either jump ship or cheat your rear end off.

:hmmyes:
Just add ProjectE to every mod pack to take the edge off

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I'm going through withdrawal due to a lack of /dank/null in 1.7.10, but I added Iron Backpacks to get a bit of a fix.

IIRC there's already an item in GTNH that voids items on a whitelist, and Traveler's Backpacks is the main backpack mod. Those aren't available immediately though...

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

The dank null lets you void stuff, but mainly I like it for its storage capacity. When fully upgraded, it has a huge number of slots, and each slot can stack a nearly infinite number of a single item. It's buggy and not compatible with some stuff though. It's built into Enigmatica 2 Expert, and I was able to get it working in Omnifactory. I hear it can eat items, but that never happened to me. It's not on 1.7.10, so not an option for GTNH.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/dank-null

My favorite personal storage mod is iron backpacks, due to the crazy amount of customizability. I can have it auto-filter items by all kinds of item traits, and I use nested backpacks within backpacks. It takes some work and resources to get set up with it, but I find it very rewarding. They do all kinds of neat stuff like auto-feeding your character and refilling stacks of specific items in your inventory. They can auto-compress stuff, and a whole lot more. When fully customized, it can sort pretty much anything you pick up, reserving space for stuff you deem most important.

Repeatedly moving the same kinds of stuff around manually in my inventory is a pet peeve of mine, but these mods make it much easier. Dank null can feel a bit like cheating, but I think iron backpacks is a great solution. I don't know if any backpack mods contain all of the functionality of iron backpacks post 1.11+, so I use dank null in 1.12.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Uganda Loves Me posted:

The dank null lets you void stuff, but mainly I like it for its storage capacity. When fully upgraded, it has a huge number of slots, and each slot can stack a nearly infinite number of a single item. It's buggy and not compatible with some stuff though. It's built into Enigmatica 2 Expert, and I was able to get it working in Omnifactory. I hear it can eat items, but that never happened to me. It's not on 1.7.10, so not an option for GTNH.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/dank-null

My favorite personal storage mod is iron backpacks, due to the crazy amount of customizability. I can have it auto-filter items by all kinds of item traits, and I use nested backpacks within backpacks. It takes some work and resources to get set up with it, but I find it very rewarding. They do all kinds of neat stuff like auto-feeding your character and refilling stacks of specific items in your inventory. They can auto-compress stuff, and a whole lot more. When fully customized, it can sort pretty much anything you pick up, reserving space for stuff you deem most important.

Repeatedly moving the same kinds of stuff around manually in my inventory is a pet peeve of mine, but these mods make it much easier. Dank null can feel a bit like cheating, but I think iron backpacks is a great solution. I don't know if any backpack mods contain all of the functionality of iron backpacks post 1.11+, so I use dank null in 1.12.

I never really wanted for something like that in GTNH, because manual mining stops being a thing really, really fast. By MV I stopped digging my own holes completely.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
Just add ProjectE to every mod pack to take the edge off

I know we shitpost about this a lot but honestly like, I agree with this around 25% - specifically the part where it's like, 'at a certain point, I don't want to have to care about resource X, I want it taken care of.'

ProjectE spirals out of control pretty fast, but IMO I do hate it when I'm deep in the tiers of a system and it's like 'oh yeah...I need iron now' and I need to go expend as much time and energy as it takes to get HyperPlutonium to get some iron.

I like systems where as you progress, the earlier tiers get more and more efficient, or simply obsolete.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

I know we shitpost about this a lot but honestly like, I agree with this around 25% - specifically the part where it's like, 'at a certain point, I don't want to have to care about resource X, I want it taken care of.'

ProjectE spirals out of control pretty fast, but IMO I do hate it when I'm deep in the tiers of a system and it's like 'oh yeah...I need iron now' and I need to go expend as much time and energy as it takes to get HyperPlutonium to get some iron.

I like systems where as you progress, the earlier tiers get more and more efficient, or simply obsolete.

I think it was modern skyblock 2 that did a good job of this with the upgrades to the system that generated resources. You had a small multi block that would generate ingots from dusts and based on the Catalyst and multi block components you might need multiple dusts to generate an ingot or you'd poof a couple stacks in no time at the top end.

Even if you don't deep dive into bees or IC2 crops, there are a ton of options for generating resources from nothing in GTNH, like thaumic bases crops, glow flowers, centrifuging ashes/lava/stone dust, or even good ol' UU-Matter. Plus it becomes trivial to use a souped up tinker hammer to rip apart a vein in minutes and dump it into some kind of processing array.

But yeah I absolutely agree that early game actions need to be minimized, trivialized, or otherwise removed to provide that sense of progression. The funny thing about that is project E doesn't actually do that since you have to manually interact with so much of it and it doesn't play nice with any non-vanilla items unless a pack maker adds EMC values for everything.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I think it was modern skyblock 2 that did a good job of this with the upgrades to the system that generated resources. You had a small multi block that would generate ingots from dusts and based on the Catalyst and multi block components you might need multiple dusts to generate an ingot or you'd poof a couple stacks in no time at the top end.

Even if you don't deep dive into bees or IC2 crops, there are a ton of options for generating resources from nothing in GTNH, like thaumic bases crops, glow flowers, centrifuging ashes/lava/stone dust, or even good ol' UU-Matter. Plus it becomes trivial to use a souped up tinker hammer to rip apart a vein in minutes and dump it into some kind of processing array.

But yeah I absolutely agree that early game actions need to be minimized, trivialized, or otherwise removed to provide that sense of progression. The funny thing about that is project E doesn't actually do that since you have to manually interact with so much of it and it doesn't play nice with any non-vanilla items unless a pack maker adds EMC values for everything.

Yeah, the only caveat I'd have is that I'd prefer it if it didn't turn into it's entire own game like bees or magical agriculture/etc. Those aren't terrible but it'd be nicer to have something streamlined like the Alchemy pack where you had to make clay.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, the only caveat I'd have is that I'd prefer it if it didn't turn into it's entire own game like bees or magical agriculture/etc. Those aren't terrible but it'd be nicer to have something streamlined like the Alchemy pack where you had to make clay.

Well ultimate alchemy is truly excellent in both concept and execution. I love that it took the inevitable conclusion of skyblock packs and turned that into the starting point. Oh yeah you have infinite everything because technically everything starts from these two resources.

More mods and mod packs need to take note that drudgery is not gameplay. Sitting in one spot clicking to sift or whatever is not engaging. Automation should be the baseline.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

As a huge fan of projectE I say put it in everything!! I rarely ever use it for anything more than the transmutation table and the flying ring anyway. Maybe a condenser and a Klein star to power the ring?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Also packmakers need to just loving admit minecrafts literally unchanged since 2009 inventory and crafting methods are old and clunky as poo poo. The sheer amount of inventory juggling involved with even the less megatedium packs is loving absurd. Just give people early RS/AE2 and move on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Frankly, Minecraft needs a bigger inventory and bigger chests in vanilla. The inventory and chest storage size hasn't changed since the earliest versions, and since then we've gotten what, 30x as many item types in the game? Terraria recognized its growing item number some updates in and it doubled chests, expanded the base inventory by a whole row, and made each item stack to a higher amount. Minecraft meanwhile is still based on an inventory limit that assumes every block type could fit inside it at once.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

SynthesisAlpha posted:

More mods and mod packs need to take note that drudgery is not gameplay. Sitting in one spot clicking to sift or whatever is not engaging. Automation should be the baseline.

This please. I know it's kind of a Skyblock classic but... I'm so sick of manual cobblestone setups. Just please give me a magic starter block, even make it upgradeable with the pack progression, that gives me cobblestones to build with. None of this right click dirt to get pebbles to assemble cobblestones with your spit nonsense. It's not like unlimited cobblestone is gonna break the game... (ProjectE notwithstanding) also ffs don't gate ex nihilo automation behind like half the modpack

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Heavens of Sorcery modpack has a mod enabled by default that makes all stack sizes 8192, even the ones in your inventory, and I feel like that should just come standard in modpacks now. It was so nice.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

FPzero posted:

The Heavens of Sorcery modpack has a mod enabled by default that makes all stack sizes 8192, even the ones in your inventory, and I feel like that should just come standard in modpacks now. It was so nice.

That's another pet peeve is artificially low stack sizes. Like, okay, sure, items that keep track of data within themselves like configured machines or containers, I understand why those don't stack. But when something just arbitrarily stacks to 8 or 16 or something instead of 64, it's just... why? what's the point? It's not like it even matters since you can get nearly unlimited storage for these things with drawers or barrels or ae2 or whatever. It just serves to complicate the process of carrying them around for no good reason.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Didn’t they release some video last year where Jens shared some of their poo poo design philosophies? It’s probably all stuff that keeps it uninteresting or nonsensical.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GetDunked posted:

That's another pet peeve is artificially low stack sizes. Like, okay, sure, items that keep track of data within themselves like configured machines or containers, I understand why those don't stack. But when something just arbitrarily stacks to 8 or 16 or something instead of 64, it's just... why? what's the point? It's not like it even matters since you can get nearly unlimited storage for these things with drawers or barrels or ae2 or whatever. It just serves to complicate the process of carrying them around for no good reason.

64 is too small of a stack size anyway. 128/256/512/1024 would be better.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

64 is too small of a stack size anyway. 128/256/512/1024 would be better.

I mean a lot of this is old vanilla design decisions coming back. There's nothing inherently wrong with the stack size in earlier vanilla because you'd get a 'haul' when out mining but still have reason to come back, but inventory sizes have absolutely been strained by the amount of items.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
The amount of items in modded is definitely straining that limit, but can the same be said regarding vanilla?

Legitimate question. I agree that we need higher stack sizes, I loved that Heavens of Sorcery mod.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm playing E2E, and my macerator is not grinding nether iron ore. Is there some sort of upgrade I need to do?

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Some mod packs are weirdly inconsistent about which machines can process which materials. You can search for the material in NEI, and right click on the results. It'll tell you what you can do with that ore.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Some mod packs are weirdly inconsistent about which machines can process which materials. You can search for the material in NEI, and right click on the results. It'll tell you what you can do with that ore.

I did, it said the machine can process it, but it's not. It's got power and everything, but it's not processing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

The amount of items in modded is definitely straining that limit, but can the same be said regarding vanilla?

Legitimate question. I agree that we need higher stack sizes, I loved that Heavens of Sorcery mod.
The inventory is unchanged from the old Indev days, so yeah. You have the same amount of inventory space, with the same stack limits and chest sizes, as you did when this was every item in the entire game:

And a bunch of these weren't even obtainable.

I don't know how many unique inventory slots could be taken up now, but I'm sure if you count dyes, enchantments, brewed potions, etc, it's in the thousands.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I did, it said the machine can process it, but it's not. It's got power and everything, but it's not processing.
Is it a gregtech machine? Some operations have a minimum voltage. It should list the required voltage, and if it's above the tier of machine you're using you can't process it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the breaking point is copper + stone variants, if not ten years ago because of item bloat. I like all the blocks, I want full on Dwarf Fortress geology in vanilla bedrock, but other games have handled the inventory much better. I liked especially Starbound for compiling all the billion stones and rocks into universal stacks where you could pick out individual subtypes when needed, but otherwise didn't clog up your inventory ui. Tools being so flimsy even at highest levels oftens means I want more than one set around for journeys, but it's pretty trivial to fill your inventory up with just basic junk digging around anywhere.