Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

believe thats in na somewhere correct. ive been to nyc ur apartments are gigantic lol

Where exactly do you live that you believe NYC apartments are gigantic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
a place where the average apartment size is half of the nyc average

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

a place where the average apartment size is half of the nyc average

Which is

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m not sure why you are bothering.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

what does knowing the city i live in change where u are going with this

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not sure why you are bothering.

I really just wanna know where the average apartment size that most people live in is like 250 square feet

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

what does knowing the city i live in change where u are going with this

You're making the claim you live in a place where the average apartment size is 250 square feet, I'm asking what that place is

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

wow is it already time for the thread to eat itself

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
the american house size brain is so broken they believe their average is lower than it actually is, incredible

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

the american house size brain is so broken they believe their average is lower than it actually is, incredible

The average size of an NYC apartment is about 500 to 550 square feet yeah

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Lmao if you think the deck will power a headset at anything nearing a playable framerate. Have fun puking!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Blade Runner posted:

The average size of an NYC apartment is about 500 to 550 square feet yeah

its around 850 sqft. very funny to see this happening in real time

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Unlike this thread, which really does need its own large space all for itself, the Steam Deck requires no room whatsoever. Because it's a portable system.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wamdoodle posted:

wow is it already time for the thread to eat itself

Nah this is Styx’s gimmick

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
God I wish I lived in 550 square feed

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Lmao if you think the deck will power a headset at anything nearing a playable framerate. Have fun puking!

You don't need an amazingly powerful GPU for VR, I'm running on a GTX 1060 and it handles the video output just fine, plus asynchronous space warp on Oculus patches over any frame drops, so I would honestly expect the Deck to be able to run VR. USB-C will power a number of current headsets, but lord knows what that will drop the battery life to. The Quest 2 will be the best bet there, as it can use its own battery for power and also connect wirelessly.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 19, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Point is VR isn't a gimmick anymore, it's niche and the barrier to entry is very low, $300 bucks for a Quest 2. This sucks extra huge privacy-invading nuts, but VR is real, and my friend. Since I'd rather not Facebook I don't, and instead have the ultra-niche Valve Index which is a lovely bit of hardware I use daily to play cool VR games and hang out with other friends across the world who also have VR headsets.
Likewise the Steam Deck is facing similar pushback from people, and it's interesting to see the overlap. Someone ran in here and went "LOL VALVE TIME", their full-blown Half-Life game that was released last year to universal critical acclaim is brought up, the word 'gimmick' was used, etc etc.
It would be nice if it wasn't always the same tired jokes, lukewarm takes, if there was something new to be said. Instead it's the same old man duffy luddite types that are so angry there is a new way to play games now.

The Index is great and easily proves that Valve can do hardware since the Index itself is the best VR hardware you can buy. It's exceptionally nice in ways that aren't that super important on paper (the audio is :discourse: ). It seems to me they can do it again with the Steam Deck and I'm looking forward to seeing how it's built, if it feels like I hope it does in my hands like the Index knuckles do. If I actually will use it in a way that I can imagine I would, namely playing really crunchy PC-only management games like Rimworld or Song of Syx on my couch. I was never ever going to buy a Switch because that doesn't cater to me, but hey this Deck might.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You don't need an amazingly powerful GPU for VR, I'm running on a GTX 1060 and it handles the video output just fine, plus asynchronous space warp on Oculus patches over any frame drops, so I would honestly expect the Deck to be able to run VR. USB-C will power a number of current headsets, but lord knows what that will drop the battery life to. The Quest 2 will be the best bet there, as it can use its own battery for power and also connect wirelessly.

To hook up the Index I'd need a dock of some kind for the Steam Deck, so I'd have some hosed up grouping of the Deck, a dock, and a portable battery to run it all. :negative:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

the gpu is not anything close to even a 1060 lol

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

its around 850 sqft. very funny to see this happening in real time

https://www.nyrentownsell.com/blog/what-is-a-common-size-for-a-two-bedroom-in-new-york-city/

???

It's hardly like scientific statistics but I dunno where you're getting your info anyway

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/ny/manhattan/

Even at the high end current square footage is 700, unless you're going off stuff from several years ago before square footages shrank across the board

The average apartment size in loving Hong Kong is about 500 feet and that's the lowest in the world as far as I know, so even at your estimate it's not half

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blade Runner posted:

https://www.nyrentownsell.com/blog/what-is-a-common-size-for-a-two-bedroom-in-new-york-city/

???

It's hardly like scientific statistics but I dunno where you're getting your info anyway

Even at the high end current square footage is 700, unless you're going off stuff from several years ago before square footages shrank across the board

The average apartment size in loving Hong Kong is about 500 feet and that's the lowest in the world as far as I know, so even at your estimate it's not half

You aren't having a debate :ssh:

The other 'person' you are responding to exists just to make people roll their eyes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Blade Runner posted:

???

oh i got mine from actual studies instead

https://www.rclco.com/publication/honey-i-shrunk-the-apartments-average-new-unit-size-declines-7-since-2009/

https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental-market/us-average-apartment-size-trends-downward/

and no that isnt the lowest in the world lol. i think we can leave this here :)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I plan to live inside my Steam Deck, instead (its huge lmao)

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

KakerMix posted:

You aren't having a debate :ssh:

The other 'person' you are responding to exists just to make people roll their eyes.

Oh well what can ya do

Anyway the Quest has sold a bunch and will probably continue to sell more, etc.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

homeless snail posted:

I plan to live inside my Steam Deck, instead (its huge lmao)

Buddy, I have been living half my adult life inside my original Xbox. 20 years. Cheap rent. Enough space for a personal bathroom. How much of an update would the Steam Deck be? I need some IGN coverage videos.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The first one is several years old and notes a continuing downward trend and the second one is the same as what I already posted and gives the size as closer to 700 than 850

And where is the lowest in the world, then? If you wanna drop it because you're weird and wrong then feel free I guess

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh no!

Anyway,

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

cool studies on the average of all apartment sizes, why don't you look up some articles on the size of a studio apartment in NYC, like he clearly said he lives in.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Blade Runner posted:

The first one is several years old and notes a continuing downward trend and the second one is the same as what I already posted and gives the size as closer to 700 than 850

And where is the lowest in the world, then? If you wanna drop it because you're weird and wrong then feel free I guess

hm? but i thought you said it was 500 no? and the average of those two studies would come out to be 800 correct? and where i live the average apartment size is 37 square meters, which is 400 square ft. you can have a look on the interactive map here if you scroll down to figure 4 and find a few regions that are 37 or 36 sq m, click the tab for "flat" https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ian-floor-space

any further questions or are we done here.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

To be on topic instead of the dumb tertiary conversation, I don't think it'll be very easy to play VR games directly off of the deck without severely turning down the super sampling, but it'd be extremely neat to see

More likely I think is Valve using this as a stepping stone to push forward into standalone stuff, which people have been clamoring for for ages

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The Quest2's xr2 is equivalent to a ryzen 3500u, but the gpu is clocked at half speed and is most equivilent to graphics cards from a decade ago on pure numbers.

Assuming docking etc is possible and connecting a headset is possible, the specs for the Steamdeck are much stronger and this would imply that the sort of basic VR games I am talking about would work fine.

Eleven, for instance, requires a GTX970 and Intel i5-4590. We don't know the full specs on the Steamdeck yet, but the RDNA GPU is rumored to be "AMD 6000 series equivalent", which means the specs of this thing should easily outpace the minimum reqs for stuff like Eleven and Beat Saber.

This hardware is significantly more powerful than the Quest2, so, if it's technologically possible to tether to it and run VR, I would expect it to deliver a better experience in some number of games. I'll let you know in Q1, I guess, if Mozi or someone doesn't beat me to the punch (I KNOW you have a Vive, dude, hook it up, I will buy you Eleven!!)

Blade Runner posted:

To be on topic instead of the dumb tertiary conversation, I don't think it'll be very easy to play VR games directly off of the deck without severely turning down the super sampling, but it'd be extremely neat to see
Oh god no, I expect to have to ratchet stuff waaaay down compared to my PC. But, beating out the Quest2's performance should be doable, if there's no technical reason we can't dock.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I dunno if people realize this, but in VR you don't actually have to walk 1:1, you have this thing called an analog stick right, and what you do is you move it forward and move virtually in the environment.

It's pretty wild, I can find some youtubes if someone is still confused.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Eleven, for instance, requires a GTX970 and Intel i5-4590. We don't know the full specs on the Steamdeck yet, but the RDNA GPU is rumored to be "AMD 6000 series equivalent", which means the specs of this thing should easily outpace the minimum reqs for stuff like Eleven and Beat Saber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1UtRnGn5hc

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah a studio apartment tends to hover around 600 ft.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
do the goalposts also hover or are they on wheels

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Stux posted:

What goalposts this is my first post on the subject

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blade Runner posted:

More likely I think is Valve using this as a stepping stone to push forward into standalone stuff, which people have been clamoring for for ages

I'd be stoked if I could get wireless on the Index. I understand why that isn't *easy* because of the amount of data flying down the pipe, but it is the very obvious drawback and the one thing I'm jealous of with my wife and her Quest. The idea of stepping past that with the Steam Deck is tantalizing but yeah it just because a backpack PC with all the poo poo I'd have to get to make it possible.

Stux posted:

I dunno do you ever actually talk like a human and not like reddit?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
your monitor is off

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
americans and their huge apartments... come to texas' favelas, 500 square feet here is practically a mansion, most people apartments are measured by how many people can sleep curled up on the floor

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

hm? but i thought you said it was 500 no? and the average of those two studies would come out to be 800 correct? and where i live the average apartment size is 37 square meters, which is 400 square ft. you can have a look on the interactive map here if you scroll down to figure 4 and find a few regions that are 37 or 36 sq m, click the tab for "flat" https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ian-floor-space

any further questions or are we done here.

Where you live, London, the average apartment size is 500 square feet according to this and even the article you provided

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22152622.amp

Also the way ONS measures flats uses EFA only, which does not include things like hallways and bathrooms, which are included in the American measurements you provided previously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What goalposts this is my first post on the subject

convincing people that $300 and 25 sq ft of dedicated space for VR is not a horrible insurmountable obstacle for a demographic of people that read a gaming forum thread about totally superfluous devices that cost hundreds of dollars

in the specific context of talking about using said superfluous device to power said VR headset to maybe provide a better framerate, based on hypothetical performance numbers specc'd from various press releases

some people seem more concerned with flaunting their True Leftist creds than being open to the idea that VR is both more accessible and more fun than it was a decade ago

now you're caught up, tell me about your football avatar as it relates to goalposts?

people telling me American apartments are fuckin huge is hilarious when I spent years doing HARDCORE GAMING in a 595 sq ft 1-bedroom with one other adult human and two cats. Our kitchen was 20 square feet of usable space, and we were paying the equivalent of $1900/mo in 2021 dollars

the US is huge and cheap, if you get out of the desirable cities where most people want to live!!