Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

GotDonuts posted:

Put my reserve in late to the show on purpose, will be getting the 512 gb deck eventually. Just hoping this will provide me pc games while out on the road as I drive a semi. I just want my pc to be mobile too, and the ability to play my steam games on the go (Hopefully my epic library too) would make me ecstatic. Anything beyond that as far as emulators is concerned is a bonus to me. Putting in my reserve late hopefully will give me plenty of time to allow things to pan out and see if the device is still worth it. Fingers crossed!

Loading up Euro Truck would be a pretty big power move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blade Runner posted:

The newer study includes those old apartments, I'm not sure you know what "averages" are

You claimed it was half the amount, which you were objectively wrong about

I am willing to say I was wrong about it being 500 feet if you say you are wrong about it being half, a thing you will not do

oh i know what they are, unlike you im able to comprehend numbers. for example i understand that 400 is half of 800. even with your much vaunted 700, the 36 sq m average is half as well. any which way you slice it, you were wrong on all counts. apology accepted.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I.... hope you mean, at rest stations and when stopping for the night, and not "well I'm playing while I do 85mph but I have my knee on the wheel so I'll feel it if I hit the guide bumps" :smith:

only asking because I have heard of people doing the latter with books and portable DVD players which really freaks me out any time I am passing or near trucks on the interstate

Of course at rest stations, or getting unloaded/loaded down. It seems dangerous enough when I talk on the phone with my headset let alone trying to drive and game.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

oh i know what they are, unlike you im able to comprehend numbers. for example i understand that 400 is half of 800. even with your much vaunted 700, the 36 sq m average is half as well. any which way you slice it, you were wrong on all counts. apology accepted.

I get that you're trolling but you know that 386 isn't half of 700, right

Anyway you're still wrong, your studies don't show what you claim they do and in fact disagree with you entirely, etc.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blade Runner posted:

I get that you're trolling but you know that 386 isn't half of 700, right

Anyway you're still wrong, your studies don't show what you claim they do and in fact disagree with you entirely, etc.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I don't get it is this image trying to say that 700/2 = 386 or what

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

But whole Steam Library? And Switch emulator? Gamepass / Cloud integration? PS Now? All of this is possible, yeah, but is Valve willing to do the work to make this thing stable? Partner with all of these providers to ensure things like Gamepass and PSNow run on it? Because lets be real, Valve's selling this lower partly because Windows isn't a license on it. I'm not 100% sure Microsoft is gonna be cool about that and offer full support to this box. Same with Sony - they could see it as competition in their space. Switch emulation also seems like a pretty massive pie in the sky - does this thing reasonably have specs to run Switch games remotely well at all? I thought that stuff was still in its infancy.

Regardless, the point is people want this thing to be the ultimate portable device to end all devices, and I'm just not sure Valve's up to the task to support the device to realize that potential. Hopefully I am wrong! I'm a Nintendo fan and I would personally love to see a device that eats Nintendo's lunch a little bit - I feel they are resting on their laurels a little too much lately.

If you just install Windows on it, then surely it can do all of these things anyway. What does it matter what MS think about it when I install Windows and download the Xbox app and install my Game Pass games? It's the same as doing that on any other laptop. Likewise with PSNow, it's just a Windows app. It also doesn't matter what Valve do with regards to support - as long as the thing works and powers on, they've done what they needed to and you already have a functioning PC that works the same as any other PC.

As for reliable Switch emulation, I have my doubts but that's mostly because there are a ton of games that run badly no matter what right now. If Yuzu makes progress in the next 6 months, who knows?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kirios posted:

But... Why not just get a Switch at that point?

Because they would probably also want to play a whole bunch of other PC games ez pz.
The Switch forces you to go through the gatekeeper that is Nintendo. If you don't care much about first party Nintendo stuff then why get a Switch?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thought something new and interesting was announced, turns out it's two dummies arguing about loving apartment sizes. Guess that's a pretty good summation of SA.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I checked steamdeck and my 512 is now moved to Q1 from Q2. I still don't expect to see it for a year but did anyone else's preorder get moved up?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Barreft posted:

I checked steamdeck and my 512 is now moved to Q1 from Q2. I still don't expect to see it for a year but did anyone else's preorder get moved up?

Looks like mine got moved *back*. Before, I was getting a blank date, which I assumed (and I think others too) was that I was in the first tranche (Q4 2021). Now it is saying Q1 2022 which is disappointing. My order was 'issued' at 10:09. Anyone else seeing the same? should display at https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Bone Crimes posted:

Looks like mine got moved *back*. Before, I was getting a blank date, which I assumed (and I think others too) was that I was in the first tranche (Q4 2021). Now it is saying Q1 2022 which is disappointing. My order was 'issued' at 10:09. Anyone else seeing the same? should display at https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

It took me an hour and got me Q2 until I just looked now, dunno.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If its anything like the Index preorders, their ship dates are extremely conservative and you'll probably get called up way before you expect to. Chip shortages might gently caress things up though, but also a fair number of people will probably drop their reservations when it comes time to pay, jumping you up.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I thought they were sayin' that people wouldn't even get the chance to pay for the device until December 2021, not that some people would then have them ship out that same month. Did I miss / misinterpret something?

sigher posted:

Gabe said that getting the price they did was tough, they're probably losing big on each Steam Deck but Nintendo does the same and they make it back on game sales so we'll see how that works out for Valve.

Word on the street is that Nintendo is basically the only hardware manufacturer that makes a profit on hardware.

Given the price of joycons, I can believe that.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

I thought they were sayin' that people wouldn't even get the chance to pay for the device until December 2021, not that some people would then have them ship out that same month. Did I miss / misinterpret something?

Word on the street is that Nintendo is basically the only hardware manufacturer that makes a profit on hardware.

Given the price of joycons, I can believe that.

I don't think so, I think they were saying that the hardware would be available in Dec 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

nice

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Which infrastructure? I don’t mean the GeForce Experience application itself, but rather just having canned settings that match the Deck’s capabilities, which can be dropped into the config location as defaults.

The game instrumentation for automated benchmarking and configuration tweaking that's necessary to figure the "optimal" canned settings in the first place.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My Q1 2022 reserve hasn't changed. Really weird that some people are being shifted around. It took me 34 minutes to get my order in.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Huh, nice for you. In the confirmation email, what does it say for date issued? mine says "Date issued: Jul 16, 2021 @ 10:09am PDT"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I got mine at seven minutes after, this is the first delivery estimate I'd had. it was just blank before

e: jk, it says issued at 1:04pm

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I got mine at seven minutes after, this is the first delivery estimate I'd had. it was just blank before

e: jk, it says issued at 1:04pm

Lucky fucker! (yes I'm impatient even though I was moved to Q1)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mine says that too, sweet.

Bone Crimes posted:

Huh, nice for you. In the confirmation email, what does it say for date issued? mine says "Date issued: Jul 16, 2021 @ 10:09am PDT"

My order was 10:01, I was pretty quick on the draw.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Deck got a stealth spec bump

https://web.archive.org/web/20210717215845/https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech posted:

16 GB LPDDR5 on-board RAM (5500 MT/s dual-channel)

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech posted:

16 GB LPDDR5 on-board RAM (5500 MT/s quad 32-bit channels)

ram go faster

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

and now it can do VR and Yuzu at the same time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

The Deck got a stealth spec bump

ram go faster

This is good for the GPU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

The game instrumentation for automated benchmarking and configuration tweaking that's necessary to figure the "optimal" canned settings in the first place.

Oh, I figure they’d have the game developers do it and let them have a Deck Certified logo or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blade Runner posted:

Your two sources were the same study I posted and another study that is very outdated, and when I pointed out that the one study was very outdated you then simply decided to average the study that was inaccurate with the study that was current to get to your current thing

Basically you have to contort yourself into a pretzel with a bunch of massaged and generally inaccurate stats and ignore that they were measured by completely different standards to get close to your claim that you live in a tiny box

I'm sorry that your self worth is entirely built around being correct on the internet but you are wrong

Stux posted:

youre saying the study is outdated like the apartments built then are destroyed, and onlyl the ones in the newer study exist at all. you claimed it was 500 sq ft. that was factually incorrect. youer so unable to back up your own claim that youve abandoned it to try and argue for an average size that is still 50% more than what you said. but unfortunately, i am, was, and will continue to be correct, and you know this insnide. im sorry.

I know I'm here late and Stux is already probated but what the gently caress is with this apartment size derail in the Steam Deck thread of all places.

Stux was being a way bigger poo poo here but honestly you both should've dropped this like two pages before you did.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It would be a really big win for the steam os if it could set TDP on a per game basis. Right now it requires user intervention and it’s a bit of a pain to figure out which settings work best.

Like if you want to run Stardew it would auto down clock to 5w and you would get 5 hours of battery.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

I know I'm here late and Stux is already probated but what the gently caress is with this apartment size derail in the Steam Deck thread of all places.

Stux was being a way bigger poo poo here but honestly you both should've dropped this like two pages before you did.

Stux is gonna stux and people shouldn’t respond to him.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

It would be a really big win for the steam os if it could set TDP on a per game basis. Right now it requires user intervention and it’s a bit of a pain to figure out which settings work best.

Like if you want to run Stardew it would auto down clock to 5w and you would get 5 hours of battery.

Apple calls this “App Nap”, I think.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Shouldn't that be mostly automatic as long as you enable vsync? If it's not using the full performance of the chip to hit 60fps it should be able to downclock itself

A toggle to force half-vsync at 30fps would be good though

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bone Crimes posted:

My 512GB order was at 10:05 and I've been at Q1 2022 the whole time once the ETA started showing up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Apple calls this “App Nap”, I think.

I had to double check but it’s actually for background apps. I’m not sure Apple does it?

quote:

App Nap is a new power saving feature in Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks. When an application is completely hidden behind other windows and is not currently executing a task like playing music or checking for e-mail, Mavericks will deem that app “inactive” and put it to sleep to save power and free up your computer’s resources. This can have an adverse effect on your audio applications.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

Shouldn't that be mostly automatic as long as you enable vsync? If it's not using the full performance of the chip to hit 60fps it should be able to downclock itself

A toggle to force half-vsync at 30fps would be good though

You’d think but no. If you take a look at all the other hand held devices people constantly gently caress with the TDP to get better battery life on a per application basis.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

I had to double check but it’s actually for background apps. I’m not sure Apple does it?

The app has to opt into it but yeah, I think you’re right. I thought it was a way to opt into slower event loops between meaningful events, but apparently not.

Oh well!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I figure they’d have the game developers do it and let them have a Deck Certified logo or something.

OK, so nothing like GeForce Experience at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

OK, so nothing like GeForce Experience at all.

Like the automatic settings aspect of GeForce Experience only, in that it is automatic settings. Sorry if I was unclear!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I guess its kind of conceptually similar to the performance settings in SteamVR, where it saves your refresh rate, smoothing, and render scale choices for each game, so there's precedent for that kind of thing being in Steam. I'd be surprised though, honestly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Steam Deck Deposit is #2 on the Top Sellers list behind the Index. I know this is done on dollar amount, so considering the deposit is $5 bucks vs. the Index's $999 seems like quite a few of the Steam Decks have been reserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry. It was dumb to keep going with it.

KakerMix posted:

Steam Deck Deposit is #2 on the Top Sellers list behind the Index. I know this is done on dollar amount, so considering the deposit is $5 bucks vs. the Index's $999 seems like quite a few of the Steam Decks have been reserved.

I think there's a pretty massive amount of interest, though whether that five dollar down payment actually translates to people buying the full device kind of remains to be seen. Just interest is good, though, I think. The main failure of the Steam controller came down mostly to bad marketing, imo.