Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

mostly good episode but, as with all the episodes featuring summer and morty’s high school, i don’t really get the ultra-stratified and cliquish view on high school.

bullying hasn’t been cool in over three decades. I’ve never seen clear social tiers like the ones summer and morty seem to worry about. their school seems like something more out of 1980 that 2021

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There may not be large kids putting nerds in lockers anymore but there’s still shaming and some psychological bullying

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
It almost seems more mentally brutal with kids nowadays - lots of damage can be done through social media. They're shaming kids for not buying add-on skins in Fortnite and taunting them by calling them 'defaults' for christsake

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah if anything bullying has gotten worse where are you pulling your experience from.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

It almost seems more mentally brutal with kids nowadays - lots of damage can be done through social media. They're shaming kids for not buying add-on skins in Fortnite and taunting them by calling them 'defaults' for christsake

What?! Wow what an age we live it. What kind of shame do you get for not even playing Fortnite?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

mostly good episode but, as with all the episodes featuring summer and morty’s high school, i don’t really get the ultra-stratified and cliquish view on high school.

bullying hasn’t been cool in over three decades. I’ve never seen clear social tiers like the ones summer and morty seem to worry about. their school seems like something more out of 1980 that 2021

I think you're mostly right on this. TV and movies written about high school seem to mostly be written about high school in the 90s when the writers were in it.

Every teacher I know says bullying gets stamped out pretty hard on an institutional level these days. Kids still do it of course, but it seems like it's been a big point of emphasis in most schools for a long time.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

that's ok, mental health treatments are cheap, plentiful and widely available, with no further social stigma

*listen to earpiece*

oh. oh no.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

QuoProQuid posted:

OK, so....

"Bullying hasn't been cool in over three decades." I was in high school three decades ago. Was bullying cool? Nope. Did it happen all the time and go totally unpunished, even if minor injuries resulted? Yep. Bullying was never cool. With few exceptions (and none that I've ever actually seen or heard of), no bully ever liked being called a bully, except in extreme (to the point of absurdist) comedic portrayals. Bullies are like villains: they don't think they're bullies. They bristle at the accusation, and their parents will defend them fiercely, tripping over their tongues in a desperate attempt to deny the accusation.

As for clear social tiers like the ones Summer and Morty worry about, well, of course not. It's a fictional portrayal, and the high school bit is clearly meant to be absurdist. Real clique structure exists, and for comedic purposes, it's exaggerated to preposterous levels for the show. Of course, if you didn't see cliques in your high school, you were either firmly within the bubble of a popular, or at least intensely insular, clique, or you're from an alternate dimension where bullying and cliques really did go away in 1984.

And if the school seems like it's from 1980, that's probably because the show is written by people who haven't been in high school for quite some time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Im sensing that most of you haven't had much experience with school since you were in school, yeah?

Man, it was only a couple of years ago when I was fishing favourite books out of storm drains and giving kids time out because they think calling someone a lesbian is a cool way to hurt someone's feelings.

Bullying happens, it's rampant, and kids learn a lot of strategies to hide behaviour from adults. Bullying isn't cool, per se, but the popular kids absolutely use their power to hurt others for fun. Others lash out, or begin campaigns of harassment. Others are just isolated and stigmatised, often for factors beyond that child's control -- like poor hygiene, maladjusted social skills, or being poor, ugly or otherwise unusual.

It doesn't look like 80's bullying, but it's still basically the same thing. It's just the tools and social mores that have changed.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The reason I posted is I got made fun of for wearing the same two pairs of pants during a week because that’s all I had lol. This was eight years ago but I can’t imagine much has changed since then except more Twitter beefs

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Hopefully this classical-style episode will hush up all the naysayers, a little middle-of-the-road script wise, but tbh honest I watch this show just as much for the visuals as I do for the script so when the story drags I’m still having fun. The cenobites and the transformers were dope, as was the “lawyer” gag

C'mon, you know the drill, this only buys them one week of credit.

Seriously tho, solid episode, some of the space action felt more fillerish since the car was basically established as invincible but the Chutback songs and cenobite stuff was all extremely funny

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i guess i was just talking more from my perspective, which im now realizing is a little under a decade old. my experience was that systems of exclusion were a lot more subtle than the v aggressive and outward approach on the show but im probably showing my rear end a little here so apologies.

as i said before, i liked the episode overall. liked that the new kid didn't immediately die.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

It was absolutely still like that when I was in it in the 2010s. It's not like the movie thing where every clique has a colour-coded uniform and a position on some sort of social pyramid but people form cliques which develop their own little insular culture and act generally dismissive or distant towards people outside of them. If you transfer into this environment you can find it very difficult to fit in because breaking into a social group that has been solidified for a few years already is a lot more difficult than just hanging around in the unformed social nebula and gravitating to whichever nascent friend lump most suits you. If you find yourself in the position of not having one it can make your social life very difficult, and while you're not going to be getting beaten up on the regular being mostly ignored by everyone still doesn't do much for your self-esteem. To add to that, the way schools deal with bullying is unbelievably ineffective to the point of being probably worse than just letting kids go full lord of the flies on each other. They seem to, in the US at least, mostly have adopted this "zero tolerance" policy which, in practice, means that they end up punishing children for attempting to defend themselves from bullying more often than they punish actual bullying. The end result of which is that bullying not only continues to exist but also that bullies seem to actually have authority on their side, which brings its psychological effect on its victims up from "this one rear end in a top hat hates you and is making your life hell" to "the institution itself hates you and the fact that your life is hell is part of its design", which is significantly more damaging because it instills feelings of complete hopelessness. If some guy gives you a noogie every day and never gets punished then, even if he's bigger than you, you can still work up the nerve to punch him in the face and maybe he'll beat you up or maybe he'll back off but either way you can at least feel a little self-respect. If, however, you then get severely punished for doing that, and the teachers act as though he is the victim, and he continues to noogie you every day safe in the knowledge that every time you do something about it you will be punished, then you feel both totally helpless and may actually internalize the idea that fighting back against someone who is walking all over you makes you the real villain.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

To add to that, the way schools deal with bullying is unbelievably ineffective to the point of being probably worse than just letting kids go full lord of the flies on each other. They seem to, in the US at least, mostly have adopted this "zero tolerance" policy which, in practice, means that they end up punishing children for attempting to defend themselves from bullying more often than they punish actual bullying. The end result of which is that bullying not only continues to exist but also that bullies seem to actually have authority on their side, which brings its psychological effect on its victims up from "this one rear end in a top hat hates you and is making your life hell" to "the institution itself hates you and the fact that your life is hell is part of its design", which is significantly more damaging because it instills feelings of complete hopelessness. If some guy gives you a noogie every day and never gets punished then, even if he's bigger than you, you can still work up the nerve to punch him in the face and maybe he'll beat you up or maybe he'll back off but either way you can at least feel a little self-respect. If, however, you then get severely punished for doing that, and the teachers act as though he is the victim, and he continues to noogie you every day safe in the knowledge that every time you do something about it you will be punished, then you feel both totally helpless and may actually internalize the idea that fighting back against someone who is walking all over you makes you the real villain.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

QuoProQuid posted:

you are either very old and have forgotten high school dynamics, or you are popular with the bullies

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea all that stuff absolutely still exists.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i don't care what era it is, you can't get away with wearing the same pants twice in a row. it just doesn't fly

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That song in the middle of the episode felt like it was straight out of South Park. It felt really weird.

Kunabomber posted:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

boo_radley posted:

you are either very old and have forgotten high school dynamics, or you are popular with the bullies
Different schools have wildly different dynamics. I was an odd, nerdy teen with a facial abnormality who attended high school in the '00s and was never a victim of bullying (nor did I ever notice anything targeting anyone else, excepting groups like sports teams hazing their members). Which isn't to say none was present, just not at the levels folks report experiencing elsewhere.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

cock hero flux posted:

It was absolutely still like that when I was in it in the 2010s. It's not like the movie thing where every clique has a colour-coded uniform and a position on some sort of social pyramid but people form cliques which develop their own little insular culture and act generally dismissive or distant towards people outside of them. If you transfer into this environment you can find it very difficult to fit in because breaking into a social group that has been solidified for a few years already is a lot more difficult than just hanging around in the unformed social nebula and gravitating to whichever nascent friend lump most suits you. If you find yourself in the position of not having one it can make your social life very difficult, and while you're not going to be getting beaten up on the regular being mostly ignored by everyone still doesn't do much for your self-esteem. To add to that, the way schools deal with bullying is unbelievably ineffective to the point of being probably worse than just letting kids go full lord of the flies on each other. They seem to, in the US at least, mostly have adopted this "zero tolerance" policy which, in practice, means that they end up punishing children for attempting to defend themselves from bullying more often than they punish actual bullying. The end result of which is that bullying not only continues to exist but also that bullies seem to actually have authority on their side, which brings its psychological effect on its victims up from "this one rear end in a top hat hates you and is making your life hell" to "the institution itself hates you and the fact that your life is hell is part of its design", which is significantly more damaging because it instills feelings of complete hopelessness. If some guy gives you a noogie every day and never gets punished then, even if he's bigger than you, you can still work up the nerve to punch him in the face and maybe he'll beat you up or maybe he'll back off but either way you can at least feel a little self-respect. If, however, you then get severely punished for doing that, and the teachers act as though he is the victim, and he continues to noogie you every day safe in the knowledge that every time you do something about it you will be punished, then you feel both totally helpless and may actually internalize the idea that fighting back against someone who is walking all over you makes you the real villain.

So I was in high school during the late 90's and want to ask you if people tried sell people you are age the same bullshit line about what causes kids to be come bullies is at they fell bad about themselves? That line as rang false to me because the bellies I remember where a combination narcist and sadist.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Just a very wholesome episode.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bruce Chutpants

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I noticed a direct correlation between child bully status and the parent's prominence in the local PTA, where the parent filled a similar role (bullying teachers and parents alike, and providing aircover for their hellspawn). The bully-parents would often cultivate friendships with the staff most likely to be assigned as playground monitors.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

Just a very holesome episode.

FTFY

I didn't mention it last night but yeah it was cool seeing the car AI again, the first time is one of my favorite RnM episodes (the A story is RnM in TinyTown trying to get Stephen Colbert to fix Rick's car battery).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
New episode aired 2 hours ago here in the UK but hasn't gone up on All4 yet for some reason :(

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

BizarroAzrael posted:

New episode aired 2 hours ago here in the UK but hasn't gone up on All4 yet for some reason :(

It just went up for me in Canada on Stack, I kinda wonder if that goof up with the seventh episode had consequences hence the late arrival.

Also car is best.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love rick's sassy car and hope to see more of her every so often.

has Rick used his portal gun this season yet? there's been a lot of portals (the weirdo 'narnia' zone, the hell dimension door) but i don't think any portal gun yet

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

alf_pogs posted:

i love rick's sassy car and hope to see more of her every so often.

has Rick used his portal gun this season yet? there's been a lot of portals (the weirdo 'narnia' zone, the hell dimension door) but i don't think any portal gun yet

Seventh episode is all I'll say.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rick and Jerry arrived at the club via portal.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Rick and Jerry arrived at the club via portal.

welp shut my mouth

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Last Call posted:

It just went up for me in Canada on Stack, I kinda wonder if that goof up with the seventh episode had consequences hence the late arrival.

Also car is best.

Got it now, but it keeps erroring out in the post credit scene.

Car stuff was incredible, and the Rick/Jerry stuff was strong too. It's not like Jerry is completely salvaged, he's still lame and oblivious, but this isn't how this could have gone down in season one, certainly not in the end standing his ground, which Rick also conceded in order to power the cenobite gun.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"hubba hubba" was the best jerry quote ever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

"hubba hubba" was the best jerry quote ever.

That got a pretty big laugh out of me too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I wonder how many more Interdimensional Cable fakeouts we're getting.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Maybe this season is us watching an interdimensional cable version of Rick and Morty, combined with a Dark Morty origin story.

And it's also a commercial Jerry is creating to sell plumbuses. Or is it plumbi?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The terrible karaoke song choice (could anyone do a decent sing along with Oh Yeah?) leading into a Ferris Bueller homage was pretty good.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really experience cliques in high school despite being super lame. The secret is going to a same sex high school. Steer don't fight.

Great episode. I was surprised Morty and Beth didn't sell the new kid down the river.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I didn't really experience cliques in high school despite being super lame. The secret is going to a same sex high school. Steer don't fight.

I'm gonna guess you're not queer.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gromit posted:

The terrible karaoke song choice (could anyone do a decent sing along with Oh Yeah?) leading into a Ferris Bueller homage was pretty good.

You mean m bow bow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

You mean m bow bow?

Common misconception. I bet you think that one song by The Who is called "Teenage Wasteland."

The song Jerry sang is called "Chick (Chick Chick Chi-kah)". It's French.

(Seriously, though, Todd in the Shadows on YouTube did an episode of One Hit Wonderland about "Oh Yeah" that's pretty good.)