Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Yah, or 100%, whichever. The game that takes the fastest speedrun the longest to complete.

this isn’t really a category but it’s uh something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXjYs7-rydA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I finished the Sand sea and got the second fire and that upgraded my weapon to... dowse additional objects?

Since when would I need to dowse additional objects? I've only ever had the main quest item and the "oh poo poo this thing fell down" targets to dowse at any one time. Am I supposed to be able to pick a target item to be able to dowse it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it means you can douse for treasure chests and rupees and some other stuff iirc

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm like 4 hours into skyward sword, does this game get good eventually because I'm a little disappointed in it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm like 4 hours into skyward sword, does this game get good eventually because I'm a little disappointed in it

It has good parts, but overall no it's not great.

Get to the desert and see if its cool gimmicks are enough to hook you.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Regy Rusty posted:

It has good parts, but overall no it's not great.

Get to the desert and see if its cool gimmicks are enough to hook you.

I'm finding kikwis now and woooo boy it's a slog

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I am kind of curious what the shortest glitchless Any % is for BotW, since I know the normal Any % uses a lot of blowing yourself up while you're on your shield and flying through the air.

If you're curious, the speedrun leaderboard has a category for limited bugs which has subcategories for each of the major categories, although some exploits are still allowed, so you should see the rules to see if it limits what.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Yah, or 100%, whichever. The game that takes the fastest speedrun the longest to complete.

Have you heard of the Twilight Princess Low% run? The gist of it is, lower percents are considered higher on the leaderboard regardless of how much longer it takes to complete. There's an animation glitch that causes Link to clip through walls if he stares at rupees obtained from treasure chests for long enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2nRW3wKnVY

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you're where I think you are, that's right before the first dungeon so you should at least check that out. And I thiiiink you get to some more dungeons faster after that long-rear end intro? I'm still in the first one so I don't remember for sure.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's always an overworld section before each dungeon, but the desert ones are wayyyy more engaging than the first forest one.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I remember the volcano revisit being dire but I can’t remember why. Guess I’ll find out

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

this game sounds awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hatty posted:

I remember the volcano revisit being dire but I can’t remember why. Guess I’ll find out

Mandatory stealth section

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ah yeah that’s right

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Has there ever really been an optional stealth section in a Zelda game

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alxprit posted:

There is in breath of the wild. More than one, even.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The Yunobo stealth section is optional in that you can just destroy all the guardians instead of sneaking around. Technically you can fight your way out of the Yiga clan stealth section, too, although that's considerably harder.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spanish Manlove posted:

The first dungeon is shortly after that and it’s decent. Eldin Volcano is cool because of the mogma characters, plus the dungeon is actually pretty good. I agree with the earlier poster who said to play through to the desert because if that area/dungeon don’t engage you, there’s not really a point to continuing. I just completed that dungeon and it and the boss are both really great. Not the best boss in the game but still pretty interesting and fun. The sequence & cutscene afterwards are also really awesome.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Once I figured out that you could just destroy those sentries with the big metal boxes I was like "oh cool I solved it".

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
You’re supposed to stealth on Death Mountain???? I just always blew them up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think the thing I'm most tired of already is having to babystep Link forward on ropes while he flails around like an idiot. It makes me laugh, but it's really annoying on the gameplay end. Especially after just coming off of Ghost of Tsushima where you're just constantly running around on ropes with the ease of a ninja acrobat.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Sure, in Skyward sword itself there are the silent realms, which pretend they're stealth sections but can actually be run through if you're clever.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Basically every fight in BOTW except Ganon and the Lynel right before him

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alxprit posted:

Majora's Mask has optional stealth in two spots I remember: Deku Palace, you don't have to go through the palace grounds with the patrolling Dekus, you can just go over them. The Pirate's Fortress can be completely negated with the Stone Mask if you get it ahead of time.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I played SS for around 2 hours tonight (getting to the ground and opening the first door before I saved and called it a night) and boy the motion controls are really difficult to get used to. I seem to have to constantly recenter them. Slashes don't track and doing a skyward slash has me literally sticking my arm up and back a lot of times. I'm going to give the pro controller a try tomorrow but this is so far not fun, which sucks because I'm liking the story a lot so far.

edit: controlling the loving bird at that first challenge was bullshit.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 20, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I played SS for around 2 hours tonight (getting to the ground and opening the first door before I saved and called it a night) and boy the motion controls are really difficult to get used to. I seem to have to constantly recenter them. Slashes don't track and doing a skyward slash has me literally sticking my arm up and back a lot of times. I'm going to give the pro controller a try tomorrow but this is so far not fun, which sucks because I'm liking the story a lot so far.

edit: controlling the loving bird at that first challenge was bullshit.

The pointer being off-center shouldn’t affect how it tracks your sword swings. You might be doing too large of movements. Our instinct is to move our arm one way and do a large swing in the other direction, when the game wants you to do smaller movements. You can swing your sword in any direction no matter where it is pointing (something you need to get decent at to beat the first boss). I agree about the bird, that first race sucks but you get used to it eventually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The problem with the bird controls is it does not explain you need to flap repeatedly to get going properly.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://kotaku.com/botw-fan-finishes-game-without-stepping-in-the-same-pla-1847321231

Somebody beat BOTW without crossing over their same path, like the snake computer game. Took him six months and several restarts to do it. Lots of waiting for rain to go away and other nuisances. Hyrule castle was a nightmare because while inside you can’t reference the hero path, it only fills in when you exit the castle. Hero’s path also does not care for elevation either.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with the bird controls is it does not explain you need to flap repeatedly to get going properly.

I cottoned to that when I first played the game because.... it's a bird. Birds have to flap to gain altitude.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

You should be able to knock Cawlin off his bird towards the surface for throwing eggs at you.

The tall big dude is okay.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Falcon posted:

I cottoned to that when I first played the game because.... it's a bird. Birds have to flap to gain altitude.

It feels weird that so many people apparently didn't just try stuff and figure that out on their own

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I figured that one out, but I know my brain turns into "me confused, what do" caveman mode sometimes when I'm playing games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah it definitely should emphasize the flapping more. You flap to gain height then dive to gain speed, rinse and repeat. You can kill Octoroks by ramming into them but honestly why would you bother?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The Bloop posted:

It feels weird that so many people apparently didn't just try stuff and figure that out on their own

SS notoriously over explains a lot of things. It shouldn't be that weird to not know you have to flap when the game literally tries to hold your hand in every other regard imo. In SS fashion an npc should be taking 5 mins explaining how to flap.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

SS notoriously over explains a lot of things. It shouldn't be that weird to not know you have to flap when the game literally tries to hold your hand in every other regard imo. In SS fashion an npc should be taking 5 mins explaining how to flap.

When it’s showing you the flying controls, it does show an image of moving the Joycon up and down to flap or ascend or something, I can’t remember what word it uses. It just doesn’t mention it in the text. But it’s there!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It says flap to ascend, yes, but then in practice that's not what the loftwing seems like it's missing when you're loving up. "I don't want to ascend, I want to go faster at this altitude!"

In hindsight the basic principles of flight would dictate that I should try ascending, but I was taking the game's word for it that it would just make me go up. So the bird slowed to a crawl and dropped out of the sky. Seems like a totally reasonable thing to miss.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It was incredibly disheartening when my bird sank into the clouds and I couldn’t figure out how to get it back up. I legit thought that might be the dealbreaker that made me give up for a second before thinking “no, there HAS to be something I’m missing/the game isn’t telling me”

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's kind of amazing they didn't introduce a Swift Sail equivalent

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

my bird sank into the clouds and I couldn’t figure out how to get it back up.

Ya gotta flap harder, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
flap to ascend