Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Dang nice. I am currently at 3.75%. Bankrate is advertising Better.com at 3% for me with no fees/points, but I would/will definitely shop around.

better.com will negotiate if you have an official Loan Estimate from another mortgage company on a refi.

I did this whole song and dance nearly a year ago. I went back and forth between better.com, lenderfi, and one other company with official LE's. I ended up getting almost all the fees and like 0.375% shaved off of better.com's first offer. 30-year fixed @ 2.5%. Amazing how these companies magically open up once they know you're a competitive customer.

So, yeah, shop around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Well gently caress me, the bathroom remodel that was supposed to start today probably isn't happening. The guy still hadn't provided me proof that he renewed his license (it expired last month) and he showed up late this morning, then he told me he would go get his paperwork.

I called the city and they said it wasn't renewed.

What do I do now? I paid him a deposit.

edit: it sounds like he is also at the county city building because it's a fuckup with the dates. He's getting it worked out so I might be in business after all. loving hell.

What's the small claims limit for your state? Might be the best way to go. I would write him and give him say 48 hours to produce your deposit+cancellation or a renewed license. Don't give him any further chances. What a pain in the butt but also bullet dodged.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What are the costs for refinancing? When I look online some places show $0 fees or $500 ; is there literally no downside and I just switch to another lender and drop my rate? There has to be some cost in missing?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 19, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

What are the costs for refinancing? When I look online some places show $0 fees or $500 ; is there literally no downside and I just switch to another lender and drop my rate? There has to be some cost in missing?

Your time, ability to resist murdering basically everyone involved, your phones resilience to your abuse.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah we reckon between paying off early and refi we'll save a bit over $30k and our biggest investment was some short calls and having a notary come to the house and spend 30-40 minutes signing new paperwork.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
It would honestly be worth it if our bank can match just so we can not keep getting our loan sold.

Edit:. Do current lenders ever lower your rate (or can they even do that) to keep you from threatening to refinance with someone what?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 19, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Woof. Our washer is out of commission, so this morning my wife decided to try and hand wash some things and put them in the dryer. I think she overloaded it with soaked towels and clothes because after some time I guess it made a screeching noise and there was a small of smoke. The drum was able to turn when we tried it again, but stopped after a couple roll overs and now when we hit start nothing happens at all.

I’m hopeful it was just the drive belt, which I think I can replace, but I fear she may have taken out the motor too given the smoking smell. Not sure if that’s repairable.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When the belt on my washer went out it let out a lot of smoke, so good luck!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Your time, ability to resist murdering basically everyone involved, your phones resilience to your abuse.

this is accurate

I hope rates don't go lower simply because I never again want to feel like I should refi

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

How early is too early to refinance after purchasing a home? We locked in our rate at a high fluctuation this past spring and it looks like we could drop at least half a point now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Insurrectum posted:

How early is too early to refinance after purchasing a home? We locked in our rate at a high fluctuation this past spring and it looks like we could drop at least half a point now.

This is a math problem. If you can refinance for cheaper than for the length you think you'll be paying on the mortgage you can refinance any time. Nothing is stopping you other than costs and what offers you get on loan products to make those costs work.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
It's free to shop around so just reach out and get some quick quotes (it's also nice not being under a closing timeline like when buying). Two companies so far will lower our rates and end up paying us to do it (something like 26 bucks net). I also called my current lender and their retention office wants to call tonight so maybe something good comes out of that. These companies must be waiting by the phone because I was called twice literally the exact second I clicked submit on the Costco mortgage page.

We also missed the very lowest rates and closed in March so we are trying this out early, too.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 20, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

It's free to shop around so just reach out and get some quick quotes (it's also nice not being under a closing timeline like when buying). Two companies so far will lower our rates and end up paying us to do it (something like 26 bucks net). I also called my current lender and their retention office wants to call tonight so maybe something good comes out of that. These companies must be waiting by the phone because I was called twice literally the exact second I clicked submit on the Costco mortgage page.

We also missed the very lowest rates and closed in March so we are trying this out early, too.

They're robodialers. There is a small chance that your phone will ring and you will be put on hold. I think I got 20 calls in the first hour after putting my google voice number into lendingtree. (I disabled all ringers/notifications for voice calls/sms.)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Insurrectum posted:

Check your existing mortgage for time limits, too. Many of them have a minimum of 6 months before you can refi/sell. Don't know if that's challengeable or whatever.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

They're robodialers. There is a small chance that your phone will ring and you will be put on hold. I think I got 20 calls in the first hour after putting my google voice number into lendingtree. (I disabled all ringers/notifications for voice calls/sms.)

Ah, I didn't know this was a thing. I was just lucky (?) I guess; both were a rep at the respective banks and I had an emailed quote a minute later, so I can't guarantee it will be the same with everyone. But now I'm worried I'm going to get 10 calls a day until the end of time now.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm looking again at refinancing since my 3.5% is so hilariously high right now compared to current rates. Better has a 2.875% that costs me $358 in points (lol) plus the standard closing costs. However, there is one spot I have some concern: In their loan disclosure, they state that they absolutely will sell off the loan, and that they absolutely will not service the loan afterward. I'm currently with Rocket Mortgage, whose online loan service panel is actually pretty danged good and convenient to work with. Even though they sold the loan off pronto, they kept all the servicing in one spot and have been easy to work with about that.

Do I assume there's no real way for me to figure out who Better is going to sell my loan to, and therefore no way to tell whether I'm going to get some fucker who makes it as hard as possible to work with them? $200 per month cost reduction probably isn't worth the potential headaches of a bullshit servicer, especially when it's unlikely I'll live here in ten years.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sundae posted:

I'm looking again at refinancing since my 3.5% is so hilariously high right now compared to current rates. Better has a 2.875% that costs me $358 in points (lol) plus the standard closing costs. However, there is one spot I have some concern: In their loan disclosure, they state that they absolutely will sell off the loan, and that they absolutely will not service the loan afterward. I'm currently with Rocket Mortgage, whose online loan service panel is actually pretty danged good and convenient to work with. Even though they sold the loan off pronto, they kept all the servicing in one spot and have been easy to work with about that.

Do I assume there's no real way for me to figure out who Better is going to sell my loan to, and therefore no way to tell whether I'm going to get some fucker who makes it as hard as possible to work with them? $200 per month cost reduction probably isn't worth the potential headaches of a bullshit servicer, especially when it's unlikely I'll live here in ten years.

correct. they will immediately dump the loan, most likely to The Money Source (their default servicer, they're associated with better.com somehow), who will then probably dump the loan off to someone else; possibly even fannie/freddie and it ends up in a MBS (not that it matters to you), and each will have a different web portal. I'd imagine this is the case for most of the online refi industry.

that said, it's TYOOL 2021 and odds are you're probably just gonna end up clicking through some web portal anyway?

we opted not to do escrow so as to not have the headache of dealing with that if they screwed up taxes or w/e. if you do the math it's basically a wash if you invest the difference anyway.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My first better.com mortgage was sold straight to wells fargo. My one from a month ago was sold to Fannie and the servicing was transferred to "Mr Cooper" aka "Nationstar". I am surprised, TMS (betters in house servicer) has a remarkably nice website for something they intend to ditch. Maybe they retain servicing for some loans even if they sell it to Fannie? Mr Cooper's website looks fine so far but I haven't actually had a payment yet so it is a mystery.

I wouldn't retain a high rate to pay the likes of Intuit. You know, those people who spend millions per year to keep the IRS from competing with them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, I expect that someone will take it and it'll be a web portal. I'm just skittish because I've had a very very bad student loan servicer in the past before I paid everything off, and they made it as hard as they possibly could to actually make a payment. It's one thing to deal with Citibank on a $2K student loan, it's another thing to deal with that on a $650K mortgage where my house can actually be repossessed. (For perspective's sake, it was 2003 and they required payment in person by check at a branch; I couldn't even mail the loving thing to them. I borrowed money from my family to pay it off in one lump just so I could stop dealing with that.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

Yeah, I expect that someone will take it and it'll be a web portal. I'm just skittish because I've had a very very bad student loan servicer in the past before I paid everything off, and they made it as hard as they possibly could to actually make a payment. It's one thing to deal with Citibank on a $2K student loan, it's another thing to deal with that on a $650K mortgage where my house can actually be repossessed.

Student loans are a whole different portal system generally because of course they are. Even the worst mortgage portal I've been on was better than the best student loan one I saw.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I did a refi and Better.com gave me a quote that was like a full percentage point higher than whatever random company I found on Zillow's rate quote thing.

Check Zillow if you can, you can get rates without having to give away all your info
https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-rates/#/location

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Student loans are a whole different portal system generally because of course they are. Even the worst mortgage portal I've been on was better than the best student loan one I saw.

students are poors who are financially dumb

at least some homeowners know how to handle finances and can afford lawyers if you gently caress up their debt service

the quality probably reflects that power differential

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

pmchem posted:

students are poors who are financially dumb

at least some homeowners know how to handle finances and can afford lawyers if you gently caress up their debt service

the quality probably reflects that power differential

The vast majority of people using student loan websites are not students.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

StormDrain posted:

The vast majority of people using student loan websites are not students.

ya ya, I know it drags on for years/decades. but it’s about their status when they begin using the site. and also partly a tongue in cheek joke on a dead comedy forum

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

hobbez posted:

Woof. Our washer is out of commission, so this morning my wife decided to try and hand wash some things and put them in the dryer. I think she overloaded it with soaked towels and clothes because after some time I guess it made a screeching noise and there was a small of smoke. The drum was able to turn when we tried it again, but stopped after a couple roll overs and now when we hit start nothing happens at all.

I’m hopeful it was just the drive belt, which I think I can replace, but I fear she may have taken out the motor too given the smoking smell. Not sure if that’s repairable.

Repair? Maybe. Replace? Definitely. Someone put it in there, you can switch it out. Though finding a correct replacement and its cost may not be worth your while.

But you may not have to. If the existing unit has a working temp sensor it may have stopped the motor before it really got damaged. It is worth a try to see if it fires up now (hour later) as it will have cooled off.

No guarantee that this is the case, but it is worth investigating.

And in the interim, a bit of rope and some clothespins from the dollar store can fill in during these summer months.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sundae posted:

Yeah, I expect that someone will take it and it'll be a web portal. I'm just skittish because I've had a very very bad student loan servicer in the past before I paid everything off, and they made it as hard as they possibly could to actually make a payment. It's one thing to deal with Citibank on a $2K student loan, it's another thing to deal with that on a $650K mortgage where my house can actually be repossessed. (For perspective's sake, it was 2003 and they required payment in person by check at a branch; I couldn't even mail the loving thing to them. I borrowed money from my family to pay it off in one lump just so I could stop dealing with that.)

In general there is a lot more regulation around mortgages and how they work from a repayment standpoint so even the shittiest experience generally works well enough for you to submit payments electronically. Over the years I've had Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Flagstar, another one I can't remember, and now Envoy's in-house servicer and they've all gotten the basic job done. Which isn't to say that you won't have a stone cold bitch of an experience, but I'd say the chances are lower than having your servicer gently caress up escrow or whatever. At lot of FS companies are heavily investing in customer experience and digital capabilities because it's a lot cheaper to operate and it makes customers happier in general; some are better at it than others, of course.

And even if they do gently caress it up, it takes a whole lot to be able to repossess your house and you should be able to generate ample documentation of their fuckups to arm an attorney to help you solve the problem.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Submitted refi applications at 3 places (Better, Ally, Interfirst) and have already received 3 phone calls and 7 emails. :emo:

Also wtf Better and Ally both want $3k in points for 2.75% and below lmao no

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Beef Of Ages posted:

In general there is a lot more regulation around mortgages and how they work from a repayment standpoint so even the shittiest experience generally works well enough for you to submit payments electronically. Over the years I've had Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Flagstar, another one I can't remember, and now Envoy's in-house servicer and they've all gotten the basic job done. Which isn't to say that you won't have a stone cold bitch of an experience, but I'd say the chances are lower than having your servicer gently caress up escrow or whatever. At lot of FS companies are heavily investing in customer experience and digital capabilities because it's a lot cheaper to operate and it makes customers happier in general; some are better at it than others, of course.

And even if they do gently caress it up, it takes a whole lot to be able to repossess your house and you should be able to generate ample documentation of their fuckups to arm an attorney to help you solve the problem.

Thank you to you and everyone else who answered. :)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sirotan posted:

Submitted refi applications at 3 places (Better, Ally, Interfirst) and have already received 3 phone calls and 7 emails. :emo:

Also wtf Better and Ally both want $3k in points for 2.75% and below lmao no

I had one guy tell me that the paperwork said it cost 6 grand in points to get 2.75% but as soon as I signed it he’d take it to his price matching department or some poo poo and get the six grand waived and I’m like are you out of your loving mind I’m not signing that.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Just go through an aggregator like Zillow or Bankrate and sort by APR.

Use those tools’ functions to schedule a meeting with a loan officer; don’t go around the tool to contact the lender. You might think that you’ll get a better rate by cutting out the middleman, but more likely you’ll be removing a “special offer” that’s available only through the aggregator.

One final time: by going through the aggregator, the lender understands the client has the ability to shop their competition. This whips them into shape. If you directly contact lenders, they know that you’re generally pretty captive. How many lenders will you shop across? Three? To them, their Expected Value is far better to highball you. If it doesn’t work out: fine! If they really wanted business they’ll just go to an aggregator and post their competitive rates.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Apparently I can't refinance until 110 days after closing since I'm using VA; now I gotta sit and wait 2 months and watch rates to hope I can get in on this...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

I had one guy tell me that the paperwork said it cost 6 grand in points to get 2.75% but as soon as I signed it he’d take it to his price matching department or some poo poo and get the six grand waived and I’m like are you out of your loving mind I’m not signing that.

If it's an early form in the process I would sign it pretty blindly. Assuming it's not some "I MUST finish this mortgage" form nothing basically matters. "Yes I intend to continue applying for this mortgage, lock the rate." Then if they don't say "Well, I changed my mind." Then refuse to give them ANY further documentation and it will fail underwriting.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

DNK posted:

Just go through an aggregator like Zillow or Bankrate and sort by APR.

Use those tools’ functions to schedule a meeting with a loan officer; don’t go around the tool to contact the lender. You might think that you’ll get a better rate by cutting out the middleman, but more likely you’ll be removing a “special offer” that’s available only through the aggregator.

Absolutely this. I have tried cutting out the middle man and you just spend extra time getting the lenders to give you the better rate that their company had shown to you on Zillow instead of whatever garbage they give people coming in off their own website.

Then you can use their loan estimates to have them beat each other up after that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Any recommendations on pest control stuff to put around a home to keep critters out?

I've been using Spectracide Triazide (the one that comes in pellets in a bag) where I've been living until now and just putting a heavy bead around the home and then spreading any leftover with a one of those basic wheeled spreaders in widening paths around the home until I ran out, then following that up with the home barrier spray around the outside windows and door frames and that keeps most things out (except the random wasp/bee whenever someone holds the door open too long when bringing in groceries in the summer) and just replacing that whenever the bead is visibly gone after the usual rains or when the seasons change, whichever comes first.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Depends on what you're trying to target. My main issue at my last house was ants, and Talstar granules made those bastards disappear from my yard.

Go to https://www.domyown.com/ and they've got the good stuff you can't find at the big box stores easily.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

skipdogg posted:

Depends on what you're trying to target. My main issue at my last house was ants, and Talstar granules made those bastards disappear from my yard.

Go to https://www.domyown.com/ and they've got the good stuff you can't find at the big box stores easily.

Thanks! I'll dig into it this evening and see what turns up there.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've got my mortage through my credit union and per the paperwork I signed they are only allowed to sell it to their credit union holding company or something? They did and I've had no problems at all. If I wanted to refinance and I am terrified of a bank ever holding my mortgage for even an instant should I just call my credit union and see if I can refinance through them? Every single friend of mine has had their mortgages bough and sold over and over to the point where they kept getting multiple bills each month and I'd rather just keep paying my 3.8% on my 20 year than risk dealing with that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If it's ants, I've always had the best luck with home made borax stuff. Borax, water, sugar. My last rental had ants every season. Making this stuff had them gone quickly. I would put it out once a year in my crawlspace and rarely saw them in the house.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Call your credit union and other credit unions to compare, sure. I was sad to leave mine, but they couldn't offer a competitive rate and the convenience of staying with the same company wasn't worth the forty thousand dollars I'm saving with a lower rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Verman posted:

If it's ants, I've always had the best luck with home made borax stuff. Borax, water, sugar. My last rental had ants every season. Making this stuff had them gone quickly. I would put it out once a year in my crawlspace and rarely saw them in the house.

Not many problems with ants here, but scorpions and random centipede-type critters will get in if I don't put the stuff I listed down (which also happens to kill ants).

I cannot overstate how much I hate scorpions, and we don't even get the big ones here.