Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

So me and the fiancee have started watching Gaiking, and despite the absolute QUALITY of the early episodes, she's really enjoying it.

The old one or Daikyu-Maryu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

Glad to here it! Out of curiosity, how did you end up watching it?

Dark, Forbidden technomagics that I'm not sure I'm allowed to talk about here.

GorfZaplen posted:

The old one or Daikyu-Maryu?

Daikyu-Maryu, of course.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Fivemarks posted:

Dark, Forbidden technomagics that I'm not sure I'm allowed to talk about here.

Daikyu-Maryu, of course.

I remember watching that on early youtube. Its funny because every now and then you'll get something like the end of the first cour and go "oh so thats where the time went".

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Like the animation gets BETTER in the series, and its consistently good where it needs to be good. Most of the time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i don't really get j-decker.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think Gaiking LODM is on TUBI

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, i don't really get j-decker.

What's to get? It's a boy solving crime with his best friend, who happens to be a giant robot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Droyer posted:

What's to get? It's a boy solving crime with his best friend, who happens to be a giant robot.

i'm used to there being even a flimsy, lazy excuse for why a kid has to go on dangerous adventures. usually it is a secret and/or the kid is special in some way. in j-decker it is just some random mundane kid that every single adult decided should go hang around fights between robots and madmen for no particular reason. he almost dies almost every episode!

i know it is wish fulfillment in a children's show but it all seems so deranged.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

i'm used to there being even a flimsy, lazy excuse for why a kid has to go on dangerous adventures. usually it is a secret and/or the kid is special in some way. in j-decker it is just some random mundane kid that every single adult decided should go hang around fights between robots and madmen for no particular reason. he almost dies almost every episode!

i know it is wish fulfillment in a children's show but it all seems so deranged.

Pokemon rules. Once you turn ten, you come back home carrying your shield or being carried on it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in pokemon every child leaves home for the life of a vagrant animal trainer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Are there any other Gundams that live up to Gundam’s anti-war premise like War In The Pocket

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Are there any other Gundams that live up to Gundam’s anti-war premise like War In The Pocket

Depends how you mean that.

The civilian kid prospective is rare, but Gundam does often have war as a tragic mess that leaves everyone more broken than before.

You might like Stargazer. 45 minute spin-off of SEED: Destiny. Switches between a civilian scientist and a pressganged Earth Alliance soldier doing dirty work. Whole thing has an emphasis on the war's dehumanizing effects and the attempts to escape it and do something life affirming.

Turn A's also worth a look. Much more of a focus on diplomacy than Gundam's standards, with most violence just being pointless, driving everyone further from what they actually want. It's the better show than Stargazer, but it's also much more of a commitment. (Gorgeous show, though. Treat for the ears, too.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He gets to hang around the robots because he taught them the meaning of friendship.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm just gonna say if you find reckless child endagerment takes you out of immersion then mecha, every single show ever made, is not for you.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

He's the impetus for Deckerd becoming sentient and he showed both incredible bravery and good situational awareness before he was made a police officer. Seems good enough for a kid's show to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Droyer posted:

He's the impetus for Deckerd becoming sentient and he showed both incredible bravery and good situational awareness before he was made a police officer. Seems good enough for a kid's show to me.

that'd be a good reason for them to remain friends and spend time together. you could make a show out of that premise, easy. instead they let a small child be in charge. it's a children's super robot show, but it simply goes too far for suspension of disbelief. this just isn't for me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Droyer posted:

he showed both incredible bravery and good situational awareness before he was made a police officer.

An 11 year old who was made a police officer because of his excellent situational awareness sounds like a lie Mac on Always Sunny would tell.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

that'd be a good reason for them to remain friends and spend time together. you could make a show out of that premise, easy. instead they let a small child be in charge. it's a children's super robot show, but it simply goes too far for suspension of disbelief. this just isn't for me.

Bruh

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I for one am shocked that the show that has this isn't perfectly realistic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looks like a cross between an Autobot and a Maximal. This is a good thing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Is it the reckless child endangerment that takes you out of immersion, or the fact that the reckless child endangerment miraculously never leads to harm?

Depending on your answer, I might recommend Zambot 3.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's more that there isn't a culture or reason around the reckless child endangerment. it's just this one perfectly normal boy that everyone has decided to use as the obvious glowing weak point for the hero robot squad. there were a lot of opportunities in the first few episodes to make the kid somehow irreplaceable to the entire process but instead it was always a deliberate choice to include him. at any point they could replace him with an adult or even leave the robots to act autonomously, but instead they let the bratty child arrest people.

mamoru in ggg was pretty annoying a lot of the time, but at least he had a reason to be there!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like the issue is there's no in universe justification for the reckless child abandonment

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Sounds like the justification for why he's irreplaceable is just that the robots love and trust him and the power of friendship is good?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

Is it the reckless child endangerment that takes you out of immersion, or the fact that the reckless child endangerment miraculously never leads to harm?

This is the perfect time for "Nervous Laughter.gif"

it's more that there isn't a culture or reason around the reckless child endangerment. it's just this one perfectly normal boy that everyone has decided to use as the obvious glowing weak point for the hero robot squad. there were a lot of opportunities in the first few episodes to make the kid somehow irreplaceable to the entire process but instead it was always a deliberate choice to include him. at any point they could replace him with an adult or even leave the robots to act autonomously, but instead they let the bratty child arrest people.

mamoru in ggg was pretty annoying a lot of the time, but at least he had a reason to be there!

Is... Is it just that you have bad taste, or aren't really the kind of person who can enjoy the Brave and Eldoran franchises?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

The child endangerment is mostly justified in Zambot 3 so I'm gonna go ahead and say it: forums user "gimme the GOD drat candy" should watch Zambot 3.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GimmickMan posted:

The child endangerment is mostly justified in Zambot 3

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fivemarks posted:

This is the perfect time for "Nervous Laughter.gif"

Is... Is it just that you have bad taste, or aren't really the kind of person who can enjoy the Brave and Eldoran franchises?

I think they're really just grasping for the show to give any sort of handwavey excuse for why the child is integral to the protagonists' operation and must be placed in danger. Like how Mamoru has unique magic powers that cannot be replicated, or how in Eldoran shows the kids are directly chosen to be the pilots by the magic space alien.

I don't really see the reason to need that in a kids' show, but I can at least understand what they're driving at.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The show with the best reason for children piloting is Ideon where the universe destroying power just likes kids so the mech is more powerful with them in it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Ethiser posted:

The show with the best reason for children piloting is Ideon where the universe destroying power just likes kids so the mech is more powerful with them in it.

Yeah but if you exposed Goons to that, they would go "let's put babies in it so it gets more powerful!"

... Oh, Wait.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

Yeah but if you exposed Goons to that, they would go "let's put babies in it so it gets more powerful!"

... Oh, Wait.

Yeah, never let it be said that Ideon is unwilling to take a train of thought to its most horrifying conclusion.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kanos posted:

I think they're really just grasping for the show to give any sort of handwavey excuse for why the child is integral to the protagonists' operation and must be placed in danger. Like how Mamoru has unique magic powers that cannot be replicated, or how in Eldoran shows the kids are directly chosen to be the pilots by the magic space alien.

I don't really see the reason to need that in a kids' show, but I can at least understand what they're driving at.

He's the robot's best friend and they all like hanging out with him

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you don't like watching the show don't watch the show. I loathe a lot of stuff that is generally popular and I like the stuff I like, some of which is also popular. It's a tent big enough for super robots and there's room for you under it, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not watching it anymore. i was asked what my problem was with it, then i explained that, then i explained it further when people were incredulous that i had that particular problem with it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

He's the robot's best friend and they all like hanging out with him

gonna be honest i don't think that's a terribly good reason to send a child into battle

i don't really care for the specific issue OP has with that specific show but this has been a really weird conversation to watch unfold where people keep saying this in response to a question that it really doesn't answer well

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 20, 2021

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just got around to watching SSSS.Gridman and it was pretty good! Way more fanservice and cheesecake shots than I had expected. I thought Akane was a fascinating character and I would have liked to see more of what was going on with her, I was a bit surprised we didn't get more information about her backstory but it's fine. I guess I should strap in for Dynazenon next.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's a kids show and the child is there because he's pals with the robots.

I don't really see how that's an uncomfortable answer or how it makes any less sense than most things in the show.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the dude was asked why he doesn't like the show and his answer was "they never give a reason for the kid to be there and it's weird."

people keep saying the reason is "because he's friends with the robot" but that's not a reason for a kid to participate in a life endangering fight, that's a reason for a kid to hang out with the robot between fights. like it's fine to just say "the show doesn't give a good answer because it isn't interested in exploring that, sounds like the show wasn't for you."

i think it's kind of a silly thing to dislike a show for but it's not difficult to understand and it's not hard to see why "because he's friends with the robot" isn't a satisfying answer. why is everyone so incredulous about this topic

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 20, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

the dude was asked why he doesn't like the show and his answer was "they never give a reason for the kid to be there and it's weird."

people keep saying the reason is "because he's friends with the robot" but that's not a reason for a kid to participate in a life endangering fight, that's a reason for a kid to hang out with the robot between fights. like it's fine to just say "the show doesn't give a good answer because it isn't interested in exploring that, sounds like the show wasn't for you."

i think it's kind of a silly thing to dislike a show for but it's not difficult to understand and it's not hard to see why "because he's friends with the robot" isn't a satisfying answer. why is everyone so incredulous about this topic

It's probably a cultural divide. Some people grew up reading old science fiction and some people didn't.

Asimov did a bunch of stories revolving around the four laws of robotics, and it's kind of easy to think of them as defaults, not specific narrative choices.

(First Law: A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
Second Law: A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
Third Law: A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Fourth Law: A robot who is friends with a child must put the child at the center of exciting, high stakes adventures, even if doing so conflicts with the First, Second, and Third Law.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The issue really is that the original question is wanting a Watsonian answer and everyone is giving Doylist answers