Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Halo 1 faces had exactly one animation bone iirc, the jaw could move up and down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
SIR THE CAPTAIN NEEDS YOU ON THE BRIDGE ASAP.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

while i love Ron Perlman i dont quite understabd why you just posted a picture of him here. what movie is this from? i cant place it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its funny to me how Hood both looks exactly like Ron Perlman but also looks nothing like him.

The face model just isn't quiiite there, very uncanny valley. He had dead eyes too.

I feel like halo 1's faces were more aesthetically pleasing. Everything in 2 has that blocky look. I mean 1 was even blockier but at that point it had a style.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always enjoyed Captain Keyes Muppet mouth

Earth

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Finally beat a par time on a Halo level, Tsavo Highway (chapter 3 of Halo 3, the highway level). Wasn't even trying, but hijacking a wraith apparently does speed up some otherwise difficult battles. :black101:

I've just been playing through the series on normal. I've beaten the par score twice and the par time once so far.

Speed running the levels is a lot of fun. Finishing assault on the control room in time without the cheesy sequence break was so satisfying.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I somehow beat the par time on Outskirts on my first time through on Legendary on the MCC.

Don't ask me how because IDK.

It's one of only 2 par times I have beat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Great Beer posted:

Speed running the levels is a lot of fun. Finishing assault on the control room in time without the cheesy sequence break was so satisfying.

If I get into speed running or trying to beat the par times, Halo 3 is the game I'll do it in. It's the one game in the collection so far that left me with a feeling of "Please, sir, I'd like some more." Best level design in the series so far, imo, and with it the best music and visual design too.

I enjoyed Reach and ODST well enough, but they both suffered from design and storytelling choices that seriously disappointed me. Halo and Halo 2 are just blah.

Just Halo 4 left to go.

Edit: Graphically, a friend pointed out a comparison for Halo 3's Miranda Keyes' visual design that I agree with: she strikes the same uncanny valley you get from a lot of fanservice anime, where she has a clearly adult body, but then a very child-looking head and specifically face.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 19, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Cythereal posted:

If I get into speed running or trying to beat the par times, Halo 3 is the game I'll do it in. It's the one game in the collection so far that left me with a feeling of "Please, sir, I'd like some more." Best level design in the series so far, imo, and with it the best music and visual design too.

I enjoyed Reach and ODST well enough, but they both suffered from design and storytelling choices that seriously disappointed me. Halo and Halo 2 are just blah.

Just Halo 4 left to go.

Edit: Graphically, a friend pointed out a comparison for Halo 3's Miranda Keyes' visual design that I agree with: she strikes the same uncanny valley you get from a lot of fanservice anime, where she has a clearly adult body, but then a very child-looking head and specifically face.

this was a big thing for women characters in general in the late 90s to late 2000's "early" CGI stuff. Women were supposed to have desirable bodies but not have facial features depicting age. It ends up with wrinkle free faces (regardless of character) plastered on "mature" women's bodies.

It's the video game character equivalent of this meme:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Halo 4 feels... off, in a way I'm having a hard time putting my finger on.

And it's not just the grunts looking weird. Or John talking more by this time than he has in an entire Halo game (or two) before, and Cortana being far, far more sexualized in this game than she's ever been before in the MC Collection.

The visuals, the sound, the way everything looks and moves, it doesn't feel quite right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's a very specific, slight thing for the movement. There's a very subtle helmet bob, so it fucks with your HUD when you notice it.

My main issue is just how ugly and bloom saturated everything is. I actually like Chief talking more, it's way better than his complete nonentity performance in Halo 3. But my God textures and color palette of Halo 4 are ugly. Burnt afternoon sun bleaching over a brown and red filter with aggressive bump mapping on the armor pieces makes everything blurry and yet too sharp at the same time.

And this is more of a multiplayer thing but I hate the team colors. Cherry Red and Ocean Blue were perfect, Salmon Red and Sky Blue look loving terrible with the aforementioned bump mapping overdrive on the armor.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I kind of admire 4 for just making Cortana look like a naked woman instead of a carefully airbrushed fetish object with digital heels and hemispherical tits, it’s certainly still sexualized but maybe a bit more honest about it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The post-trilogy Cortana designs are whatever but the writing all goes in the kind of uncomfortable direction that Cortana is basically the Chief’s girlfriend. I get that this subtext was always kind of there and it pretty much broke through into text by the end of 2, definitely by 3, but it’s still weird. I like my AI-cyborg relations a little more cryptic and malevolent, thanks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remains to be seen how Infinite plays out but Halo 2 Anniversary is the best any of the games have ever looked and a lot of that comes down to OG Halo 2's art style being really strong before it got the face-lift from Saber Interactive.

Though I will say that as awesome as Blur Studios Cortana looks, her H2A appearance ingame is a little dopey.

She's not a fetish object like she is in Halo 3 but she has no neck either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

skasion posted:

The post-trilogy Cortana designs are whatever but the writing all goes in the kind of uncomfortable direction that Cortana is basically the Chief’s girlfriend. I get that this subtext was always kind of there and it pretty much broke through into text by the end of 2, definitely by 3, but it’s still weird. I like my AI-cyborg relations a little more cryptic and malevolent, thanks.

Yeesh. I took their relationship to be so close because John is an emotionally stunted manchild like the trademark-safe Space Marine that he is and Cortana is the only person he has any kind of emotional relationship with at all.

At this point I'm hoping for a game about fighting the UNSC, space fascists that they are.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I just want to go back to Halo 1 levels of story. Here's some place, here's some aliens, here's your AI friend. Kill or be kill and we'll see you for a warthog race in 10 levels or so.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I play games mainly for the story, so I'm absolutely game for a more story-driven Halo game.

Halo 4, however, has had a story I'm not feeling so far - I've met the Didact, who was not half as impressive as I feel like the game wanted me to think he was.

This whole series isn't great about women. The other woman on the team in Reach besides the PC is the only member of the team who's just unceremoniously killed off instead of going out like a badass, and the only woman in ODST is also the only member of the team you never played as. Now Cortana's new design makes me feel skeevy every time she's on screen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look Miranda is just living up to her father's reputation for being criminally irresponsible and taking direct action when it is least necessary.

Lana did a good job surviving the Danger Zone when she defended the hospital in New Alexandria and Michelle Rodriguez put up with David Cross belly aching in Halo 2 so they're cool.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Cythereal posted:

At this point I'm hoping for a game about fighting the UNSC, space fascists that they are.

1000x this. I would kill for a CSPAM-directed Halo title.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cythereal posted:

Yeesh. I took their relationship to be so close because John is an emotionally stunted manchild like the trademark-safe Space Marine that he is and Cortana is the only person he has any kind of emotional relationship with at all.

I get how they sold it (and why, people love relationship drama) but I don’t like it as a direction for the story. This isn’t a story about good or normal people having relationships, it’s a story about a cyborg and an AI killing things. Theyre war machines. If they happen to develop mutual respect through banter along the way, that’s fine, but I just don’t care about them being lovely friends. It’s sappy and doesn’t suit the premise of the series for me. The first game had a better appreciation of how weird the premise of “you are a robot soldier man, listen to the computer who tells you to kill” was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dunno, I like the occasional sappy stuff. I hate that Cortana went technofascist in Halo 5 but the glimpses of Cortana 2.0 for Infinite with Chief needing to work alongside an inexperienced Smart AI has potential for good storytelling. If Halo 4 is about losing a friend and Halo 5 is a jumbled mess that ends with a police state run by your yandere ex girlfriend, Halo Infinite could be about putting the whole drat thing to rest for a while.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Interesting note from a recent interview with Marcus Lehto: Bungie's plans for a Halo 4 weren't dissimilar from what 343 ultimately ended up doing. They ended up making Reach instead, since contractually they weren't up for another multi-game story arc with their foot out the door into Destiny-land and all.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Kins posted:

Interesting note from a recent interview with Marcus Lehto: Bungie's plans for a Halo 4 weren't dissimilar from what 343 ultimately ended up doing. They ended up making Reach instead, since contractually they weren't up for another multi-game story arc with their foot out the door into Destiny-land and all.

"Yeah, Cortana would wake up Chief and we'd do stuff with Forerunners probably" is pretty superficial though. There is so much particular weirdness that 343 put into the story that Bungie might not have done even within the same framework.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Cythereal posted:

Based on the limited story and lore through about Halo 2, I took their relationship to be like hes so stunted that he just views everyone he works with (successfully) as a valuable ally, and especially in CE the backstory was essentially that he had literally lost everyone else who he worked with that way (back when he was the Last Spartan). Hes more casual with her as time goes on, but he also gets that way with Johnson. The relationship only starts to feel like it has a romantic subtext towards the end of 2 as you're separated and it seems like the whole effort might be lost. Then you pick up with the rescue in the latter half of 3 when both characters are probably as vulnerable to each other as they've ever been just as their story heads to cryostasis.

I've wondered if the change in tone to more explicitly make that relationship a thing in 4 comes with misinterpreting the relationship by new writers, or maybe that going in that direction after 3 was always going to be awkward no matter who was helming the story. Or both.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Okan170 posted:

I've wondered if the change in tone to more explicitly make that relationship a thing in 4 comes with misinterpreting the relationship by new writers, or maybe that going in that direction after 3 was always going to be awkward no matter who was helming the story. Or both.

Really, 4 in general is giving me serious "We solved all the conflicts and wars in the story in Halo 3, but we still want another game without doing another prequel. So... what now?" vibes. The feeling of a series that had its natural conclusion and has turned into a zombie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The John in 4 is the John from the books more than from the games. Halo CE Chief is FPS protagonist with occasional goofiness and physical humor. Halo 2 he speaks in action movie one liners. Halo 3 he's a block of wood.

Halo 4 he's the Chief from Fall of Reach and First Strike; cares deeply about protecting civilians, holds strong personal relationships with soldiers, and has an increasingly fragmented view of humanity as he struggles between being considered a machine or human since he's been fighting for over thirty years without pause that he barely knows what life outside of war is like.

Like I said, I actually like that angle more than the games, but it is different and I think it could have been done more organically. The biggest fault in the storytelling for Halo 4 and 5 is the assumption that the only people who like Halo's campaign stories are also mega fans who read the books and comics and watched the spinoff DVD movies and webseries. There is so much backstory that gets tossed into Halo 4 and 5 and it is done so in a clumsy manner when a straightforward "we crashed, were fighting Covenant scavengers, let's find a way home before you die" was all that was needed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

4 is a really good coda to the trilogy. It’s better as an epilogue to 3 than as the start of something new. Sort of the Logan to the trilogy’s, uh, X-men trilogy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
While I get what you're saying Logan is too good to deserve that comparison.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nah, 4 is the best Halo campaign since the first one so it fits!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

Nah, 4 is the best Halo campaign since the first one so it fits!

garbage post

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol we've been down this road before.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Battuta has been consistent. more consistent than Halo's writing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I am an authority on good video game writing, since I worked on Destiny 1 :goonsay:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
you can't convince me that the Didact and Librarian plot were well executed!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
after millions of years the inscrutable Forerunner are revealed to be a funny looking british guy who is mad at his ex gf, also Master Chief is Leto II or something

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So far all I've seen of the Didact is him making an evil speech, force choking the Chief, and letting him go like a dumbass.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite Halo characters are the Didact, the isoDidact, 343 Guilty Spark when he gets glued together or downloaded from his scraps or whatever happens in that book I didn't read, remembers he's a human but an old human from before the Forerunners beat humanity in space war and turned us back into monkey men or something and also he gets a giant mech body, Johnson, and the Ur-Didact

I want Halo Infinite to bring up all of this and every single thing from these increasingly insane books. I want it to answer the question "What is Halo?" and I want the answer to have the extra ancient forerunner race the Primordials and the guy who turned into the original flood goop from respawning too many times and turned into the Flood and they're actually all him and he's really mad still that he lost the extra old race space war and I want them to put in an elite wearing samurai robes and a straw hat like in that one really lovely cgi compilation movie thing they did

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 20, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Sally posted:

you can't convince me that the Didact and Librarian plot were well executed!

They’re not, but they’re not really important to Halo 4’s story except as a bullflag to chase. Halo 4 is about the Chief and Cortana. Given she was barely in Halo 3, it’s sort of the final act of their story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love Halo