Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbf part of why zero gives them so much history and gravitas, is because 1 was just kind of a janky first stab at what they were trying to do and thus just kinda threw characters and ideas around lol

the disappointing part is how kiwami is a super cheap and rushed remake that kinda feels more like they just made a small expansion for zero and stuffed yakuza 1's plot in so it doesn't really do anything more than like. bandage up how awkward nishiki's whole turn is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I kind of wonder what the series would be like if they'd known they were going to make 7 main Kiryu games plus other stuff from the beginning instead of just throwing everything out there from the start and resetting a bunch of stuff each game. Overall I think it's a good thing that it's so different from what you'd expect from such a long series, where they're not deliberately holding onto big plot beats to explore later, but there are definitely times when the characterization feels pretty stupid, like (minor 4 and 5 spoiler) Kiryu finally accepting that everything goes to poo poo when he's not around and he needs to accept responsibility at the end of 4, only to gently caress off and give up his responsibilities even more than before in 5 because some random talent scout convinces him he needs to abandon his family. Tbf that problem of having to constantly reset Kiryu for the next game is presumably a big part of why they wanted to move on to another protagonist though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh I forgot MHS2 was coming out. There's that, NEO TWEWY, and FFXIV coming up - rip my free time.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
They should stop making video games. There's too many of em already.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Overbite posted:

They should stop making video games. There's too many of em already.

:wrong:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Leraika posted:

oh I forgot MHS2 was coming out. There's that, NEO TWEWY, and FFXIV coming up - rip my free time.

MHS2 is amazing. Used my whole vacation binging it and don't regret it. Postgame has been alot of fun too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That's good to hear. I liked the first one even if it felt very basic and more proof of concept than anything else.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I played Grandia 2 when I was a teenager, and I mostly remember it for having a cool combat system and an extremely anime cast of characters (nun who becomes a demon, spiky haired protagonist who has a pet falcon and a boy sidekick and an older brother to seek revenge on)

picked up the collection for the Switch and started Grandia 1. How is this game so cute and wholesome??? You start by looking for "legendary armor" (a dirty apron) and other make-believe heroic equipment. There's a dedicated eat-dinner-with-your-mom minigame and a dialogue option to tell her how pretty she is. It's cute as heck!!

also all the official game art is really charming

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Those food skit things are in almost every town in the first two games, they’re a great idea that only really took off to that extent in the form of Tales skits.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Cephas posted:

I played Grandia 2 when I was a teenager, and I mostly remember it for having a cool combat system and an extremely anime cast of characters (nun who becomes a demon, spiky haired protagonist who has a pet falcon and a boy sidekick and an older brother to seek revenge on)

picked up the collection for the Switch and started Grandia 1. How is this game so cute and wholesome??? You start by looking for "legendary armor" (a dirty apron) and other make-believe heroic equipment. There's a dedicated eat-dinner-with-your-mom minigame and a dialogue option to tell her how pretty she is. It's cute as heck!!

I recently played this and I loved this part.

Even better was how terrible the voice acting was. I was cracking up for most of it.

Use your guts. Guts!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibram Gaunt posted:

MHS2 is amazing. Used my whole vacation binging it and don't regret it. Postgame has been alot of fun too.

Can I capture best monster Valstrax in that game?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Can I capture best monster Valstrax in that game?

Unfortunately no.

You do get to raise some Elders though its mostly the boring ones; Teostra, Nergigante, Kushala Daora, Velkhana and Kirin. The Fated Four are in though and their Deviant forms are the first free title updates.

You can also hatch Palamutes from eggs and they're stronger than most monsters

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

GrandmaParty posted:

I recently played this and I loved this part.

Even better was how terrible the voice acting was. I was cracking up for most of it.

Use your guts. Guts!

I feel like Grandia was on the better side of PS1 RPG dubs but I could be forgetting how bad things were

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I remember that it was just kinda bad and not on the Star Ocean 2 jank level of “so bad it’s funny PEAR INTO PEACHES” so I guess maybe that’s good?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
grandia's dub was a bit goofy in a wonky 90s anime dub sort of way. frankly its quality was about on par with the better working designs dubs and those have basically the same problems, just with scripts that had a lot more editing done

the lowest bar for that kind of jrpg dub that i can think of is, like, the legend of heroes 1. where it goes beyond bad direction and there's just lots of straight-up unfitting voices and the mic quality is inconsistent

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 20, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Unfortunately no.

You do get to raise some Elders though its mostly the boring ones; Teostra, Nergigante, Kushala Daora, Velkhana and Kirin. The Fated Four are in though and their Deviant forms are the first free title updates.

There is at least one unknown monster on the roadmap....There's still hope for Valstrax!!!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cephas posted:

Yeahh grandia 1 is full of vibes like this, it's the best

It sadly has some problems (the pacing is pretty bad and the game moves slow as molasses in general when you're going through areas and getting into battles) that have caused me to never be able to actually finish it, but drat if I don't love it all the same. The goofy 90s dub is just the cherry on top if you ask me, it's exactly good enough that it doesn't detract from the experience at all and instead just adds to it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chaotic Flame posted:

I feel like Grandia was on the better side of PS1 RPG dubs but I could be forgetting how bad things were

The way they dubbed the animated cutscenes in the German version is amazing to behold. Everyone sounded like the devs found some random German teenagers and forced them into the studio at gun point :allears:

Too bad the devs agreed how amazingly bad the German dub was, and the remastered version on Switch has all the German lines ripped out and replaced by what I assume is the English dub instead. Takes away a bit of the B-movie charm of the original, I think

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Didn’t the German version of Grandia have the MISS graphic that displayed when you dodged an attack the German word for miss/lady? I’ve heard of some bad translations (no doubt brought about by horrible working conditions rather than a lack of effort) but that’s lowkey some top fifty badly translated line poo poo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Last Celebration posted:

Didn’t the German version of Grandia have the MISS graphic that displayed when you dodged an attack the German word for miss/lady? I’ve heard of some bad translations (no doubt brought about by horrible working conditions rather than a lack of effort) but that’s lowkey some top fifty badly translated line poo poo.

That's Grandia 2:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
M'LADY *teleports behind you while tipping his fedora*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clarste posted:

That's Grandia 2:

lmfao

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Fighting games can have roman cancels and baroque combos but the second an rpg puts in a fraulein dodge y'all call it a mistranslation 🤔

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zore posted:

Unfortunately no.

Oooh Astalos is in that's good enough.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was almost going to say Scarlet Nexus gets really cool a few areas in, but it also throws some absolute bullshit difficulty spikes that it's way too floaty and unresponsive to handle. I need to stop buying games based on Giant Bomb Quick Looks.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Yeah, I'm really kicking myself for not playing Valkyria Chronicles sooner, it is Extremely My poo poo in combining squad-based strategy and general RPG progression, and I'm consistently impressed by the storytelling, characters, and quality of presentation. It's a little rote in some of the story beats, and I don't know exactly where I am on the Jewish analogue (though it, so far, seems well done, though I say that as a non-Jewish white person) but the rote elements are very affective when taking the cast into consideration.

I'm in Chapter 12 now, so no idea how much of the game is actually left, but I am curious how the later entries in the series compare?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
valkyria chronicles 2 is badly balanced. valkyria chronicles 3 has some things people like but it imports its mechanics from 2 and iirc the translation is janky. valkyria chronicles 4 is 1 again, mechanically, basically, so it is everything you may like about 1.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is more of the same, a bit improved in just about every way.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Twitch posted:

I was almost going to say Scarlet Nexus gets really cool a few areas in, but it also throws some absolute bullshit difficulty spikes that it's way too floaty and unresponsive to handle. I need to stop buying games based on Giant Bomb Quick Looks.

Unresponsive? No idea what you mean about that. The only difficulty spikes I ran into were one of the human boss fights myself.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Valkyria Chronicles 1 had some wonky balance here and there (i seem to recall scouts just being extremely good at almost every role) but it was such a great take on the Fire Emblem style of tactics RPG. That sort of game where you have a roster of unique individuals who fill standardized roles is just super satisfying.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Im playing 4 right now and its really good. they add a bunch of mechanics that makes it a lot easier to use a variety of units and strategies instead of everything being solved by scout rush

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

babypolis posted:

Im playing 4 right now and its really good. they add a bunch of mechanics that makes it a lot easier to use a variety of units and strategies instead of everything being solved by scout rush

APCs were a really good addition

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

APCs were a really good addition

Yeah APC and command are really good additions, as well as grenadiers (I havent played 2 or 3 so I dunno if any of these were added earlier)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Grenadiers were the big new thing for 4 I think

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

babypolis posted:

That's good to hear, and confirms some feelings I've had so far--primarily that I wish I had situations where I could use Shocktroopers more (literally ever, really) but their rate of movement is so exceptionally slow that I pretty much solve every non-tank problem with Scouts and Engineers.

re: the mechanics issues in 2 and 3, is it awkward in a way that makes it frustrating or not fun, or just weird/different in ways that clearly could have been made better. If the story and metaprogression is even vaguely similar I imagine I'll still like it, my tolerance for jank is extremely high.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In the case of VC2 you wind up having to grind out rare material drops in order to promote units into different classes (which is something you are going to want to do on all of your units eventually) and this was insane and extremely frustrating which when combined with the smaller PSP maps made it just an all around miserable experience to actually just play.

With VC3 they simplified the class promotion (I forget how it worked exactly but I think you just had to reach a certain level before promotion) so while it still had the small PSP maps it overall was a much more palatable experience. For what it's worth, even with that caveat and the aforementioned janky TL, VC3 remains probably my overall favorite title in the series. I liked its silly A-Team plot and cast and I think it had more interesting stuff to say as a sidestory to the main VC conflict than the other games.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
There's a fairly early scene where Welkin compares Alicia to like a stag beetle or something, and she immediately takes it as the compliment that Welkin meant it to be, and that's when I realized that this was a really really good game

e: LOL Weskin

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

complete global naturation

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Azure Revolution, incidentally, was a shitshow.

if there's a 5 I'll buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Revolution had some good thought put into it's world and backstory but ehhh everything else..