Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
don't tease me like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

quote:

Want to find out who the Mouth of Mork will be leading on Kragnos’ warpath? Cast your eyes back to the Dominion Celebration preview to look at more of the grotesque beasts that are lurching from the swamps. If we were the Stormcast Eternals, we’d be hoping to hear about something strong enough to take down Gobsprakk right about now.

Perhaps they’ll find just the thing next week…

* In fact, it’s so strong that it can tear apart a fully-grown ogor with ease – as seen in the short story ‘Kunnin’’.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The footnote is about the vulture.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
aw

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I know the answer to this is probably "wait and see" but I've got a question for people who've been playing AOS for a while - when an army gets a new army book for a new edition, does it tend to change everything dramatically so everything good is bad now and everything that wasn't used is super good, or are the changes more subtle things? I'm reading some of the SCE tactics stuff about the net and am aware that they're getting a new book next month with all the fun new toys like the weapon options for Annihilators, the big hero guy, the chariots and so on so was wondering if there was any speculation on whether there will be massive sweeping changes to the rules for existing stuff.

I might not be looking to make a super optimised list and play tournaments but on the other hand I'm hesitant to buy anything much beyond the SCE half of Dominion I've ordered to get into AOS in case the advice about listbuilding and tactics isn't right any more.

That said I've got some of the Dominion stuff off Ebay and have been testing schemes and these are really nice minis; I'm not much of a painter but I'm using them as a chance to try the scheme I want to use and also attempt new techniques.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deified Data posted:

Didn't the teaser promise a SCE thingy next week

That's probably the new dragons.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's probably the new dragons.

It is narratively annoying that the Seraphon victory is to give the Stormcast new mounts, tho.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Vulture dude rules, and in general I'd like to see more Ork / Orruk salvaging of Chaos ephemera in order to jury-rig some bullshit

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

It is narratively annoying that the Seraphon victory is to give the Stormcast new mounts, tho.

Not really, the Seraphon are not huge fans of changing things up for themselves, and have been raising these Dragons since before Sigmar came to the Realms, and never had an interest in using them.

Showing the Stormcast the Draconith is pretty much a gift to them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I really like the Mouth of Mork's lore with Kragnos. Namely that he is the only one who can talk with him, and so views Kragnos as the perfect tool to unite the various Destruction groups under him.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Trip report on leaving a night goblin in the freezer to unstick his base: it worked but these guys are so tiny and hard to grip that the shield arm came away first and he left a bit of foot behind on the base. Unsure if I'll rebase them all... there were a lot of gobbos, probably 80 or more.

I do like the Kruleboyz, but I enjoyed the Orcs in LOTR so that probably helps. I just can't really envision them next to anything else from the range... like I know you don't have to paint the massive chunky Orcs with bright yellow power armour, but I can't see them fighting side by side. So I'd be left with the goblin allies I guess, which makes more sense thematically even from another book.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think the reason Kruleboyz look more out of place is just because they're so much newer and more detailed compared to the other bigheaded orruks. They could probably look more in-line with the Kruleboyz if they were sculpted a bit differently maybe. Either way I like the weird hobgoblin dudes as the more devious rear end in a top hat cousins. The line that really could use a total revamp are the Bonesplitterz because those look rough in more ways than one.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Savage orcs definitely need some attention but I think Ironjawz are mostly fine they just need few things like a ranged option, a monster or two that isnt just character mount and a new 'ardboyz kit without the weird scoliosis the older ork kits all have

maikzor
Feb 26, 2011

bagrada posted:

Fimir [...] unfortunate history

Elaborate? Is there questionable stuff in their design/lore I've missed?

maikzor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 20, 2021

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

maikzor posted:

Elaborate? Is there questionable stuff in their design/lore I've completely missed?

They reproduced by kidnapping human women in the old fluff

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 20, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Winklebottom posted:

They reproduced by kidnapping human women in the old fluff

Yeah they tried to use the common changeling theme of Irish and Norse myths, and well, their take on it didn't work that well by their own admission.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I love the Kruleboyz and think that the old ironjaw orks are garbage who look like rear end. Plus, the Kruleboyz fit way better with the night goblin and troll aesthetic of the recent looncurse stuff.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'd update the OP for the upcoming new starter sets, but I usually use imgur as my host and I think work has blocked the image server or otherwise it's borked so I can't see poo poo. I'll go update the text at least. Any more suggestions?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I’m all about Kruleboyz but I’m going to add in some Savage Orruks just so I can paint the goofy old style for fun.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
back in the 90s orcs in fantasy and 40k were in insane mix of random themes and aesthetics and that was good

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Thanqol posted:

I love the Kruleboyz and think that the old ironjaw orks are garbage who look like rear end. Plus, the Kruleboyz fit way better with the night goblin and troll aesthetic of the recent looncurse stuff.

I think they both look good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thanqol posted:

Aren't the old ironjaw orruks just the 7th edition black orc models?

I love those guys.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I get big Peter Jackson Orc vibes from the Krule Boyz, which I enjoy. Also the giant vulture looks cool

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sharkopath posted:

Aren't the old ironjaw orruks just the 7th edition black orc models?

I love those guys.

Ironjawz are the ones wearing the big scrap power armor.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Mors Rattus posted:

Ardboys probably.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I doubly checked and I was correct.

Some of the elite ironjawz and the named characters are new models, a lot are just the old orc line in worse colors.

Anyways I love the black orc models.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah the Ard Boys are the old Black Orcs, the rest of the Ironjawz are new models.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 20, 2021

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah the Ard Boys are the old Black Orcs, the rest of the Ironjawz are new models.

I'm honestly a bit surprised how few new models they have, going through the roster. Since they were one of the launch factions I thought they'd keep expanding them but your choices seem pretty restrained.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sharkopath posted:

I doubly checked and I was correct.

Some of the elite ironjawz and the named characters are new models, a lot are just the old orc line in worse colors.

Anyways I love the black orc models.

its literally just that kit thats an old model, the rest of the Ironjawz are entirely new

The bonesplitterz are all old models though

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fun fact the Ard Boys are looked down on and considered to not be proper Ironjawz because they actually had to forge their armour themselves (or force someone else to do it) instead of being able to just force the metal into its proper shape with your fists and elbows.

Even if an Ard Boy grows enough to become a proper brute the others still tend to look down on them, for not being born an Ironjaw. (At least until one becomes a Megaboss, where they tend to be more effective then others as Ard boys are much more humourless and disciplined then other Orruks.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 21, 2021

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I've got a good deal on some random Khorne AoS minis through FB marketplace. I'm just curious if Khorne are a competitive team or not as am hoping to eventually work up enough dudes for an army of some type. If they are, then I'll actually try and figure out an army scheme to paint these dudes up rather than just random mish mash.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Some Old World news!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

10 or 15mm? posted:

What? No! What madness is that?!

lol, lmao

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

moths posted:

Some Old World news!

I'm glad I never got around to rebasing my tomb kings!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

moths posted:

Some Old World news!

I've been holding off selling my old square base dwarfs but now I'm def gonna

Holding my breath for chaos but if orcs are basically confirmed, hell yeah 😎

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gonna be neat to see them try to stat Asavar Kul and Magnus the Pious.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Really hoping tomb kings make their triumphant return

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Man I hope we get more Empire kits.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
you know, after rebasing 400+ skaven to play aos without feeling like I'm cheating having them on smaller bases...gently caress you GW. Just make it different scale so it can be a new (well warmaster was actually alot of fun) game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lol was it one day between me starting to rebase my square base night goblins to round bases, before GW announced that square bases are coming back? Classic me.

Doesn't matter, I constructed my first Kruleboy today, I'm a fan! I appreciate how easy they go together, even with a hole ready-cut into the bases. Just mulling over whether I should be gluing them properly to try and force the gaps closed, or just leave them pushed-in...