Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

X-corp is a pretty undercooked :effort: of a book, a shame because high-concept 00s corporate espionage series is a neat idea.

nemesis_hub posted:

Casey and Carey are good ideas. I’d like to see….David F. Walker get a shot. Ales Kot? Get weird with it.

Marvel has a problem of retaining writers and artists who may not want to do IP farm work that is going to be cannibalized in some Disney+ show in a few years and have better opportunities in creator-owned land. They are very lucky that Ewing and Hickman are still with them.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cloks posted:

think I've found a new high water mark in offensive comics during my random read through of the history of the x-men:

Brian Michael Bendis, in his Uncanny X-Men run, created a male, racially ambiguous mutant and gave him the ability to remotely control vehicles. this was first demonstrated by stealing a variety of cars and he was given the mutant name Hijack.

congratulations to BMB on creating a very offensive mutant

I love the power to control vehicles but it always works out like this, either it's racist explicitly or coded as such. No one ever just gives like the band geek the ability to control every vehicle and it's too bad.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rick posted:

I love the power to control vehicles but it always works out like this, either it's racist explicitly or coded as such. No one ever just gives like the band geek the ability to control every vehicle and it's too bad.

call em overdrive and make them not steal a car

it's not rocket science. my friend's theory is that hijack's terrible name and origin is why Trinary exists.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

fatherboxx posted:

Marvel has a problem of retaining writers and artists who may not want to do IP farm work that is going to be cannibalized in some Disney+ show in a few years and have better opportunities in creator-owned land. They are very lucky that Ewing and Hickman are still with them.

Casey literally did his Image version of America Chavez because he watched the IP farm do things with her he didn't like.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

Casey literally did his Image version of America Chavez because he watched the IP farm do things with her he didn't like.

What's this book? I really need to read more indie books.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I love the idea of the biological ability to control specifically only vehicles.

fatherboxx posted:

With no royalties.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I read Casey's All-America Comix and it sucked bad.

Like, America's solo series haven't been great, and this current mini is good outside of the unnecessary origin retcon, but Casey straight up wrote the America character in his comic like a stereotype and it was bad. America Chavez is a way better character now thanks to Gillen basically throwing most of Casey's stuff out and revamping her for Young Avengers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
\Nothing anyone likes about America Chavez came from Joe Casey let's be real Vengeance is a bad comic book

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

\Nothing anyone likes about America Chavez came from Joe Casey let's be real Vengeance is a bad comic book

Yeah, exactly. That's why it's funny when he was saying he was gonna write the solo book since Marvel wouldn't. The majority of what anyone likes about America comes from Gillen and McKelvie.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Blockhouse posted:

Vengeance is a bad comic book

This is a Bad Take.

I did not get All America Comix despite it being a Wildcats 3.0 reunion with Casey and Nguyen.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Huh I'ma be honest, I didn't know Gillen didn't create America Chavez until just now. She always seemed so unique to his...shtick.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

danbanana posted:

This is a Bad Take.

Are you insane? Vengeance is one of the worst things they've ever done. The covers are the high point, all of characters in it are absolute dogshit and none of them was worth saving.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vengeance wasnt bad but forcing guest stars into plot and advertising as if the book is about them (meanwhile Bullseye is in it as a corpse) literally because Marvel had some sweet art from Dell'otto lying around is... something

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They ever bring back that Ultimate Nullifier guy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

They ever bring back that Ultimate Nullifier guy?

He was a villain in Young Avengers briefly, except he was a magical construct/manifestation of Kid Loki's guilt over killing the other Kid Loki.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Creator-owned is hard. There's higher potential but that comes with much higher risk. Even Image, who do basically all of the work of actually making a physical object and getting it in people's hands for you, demands you be willing to give up multiple thousands of dollars for several months at a time before you find out if you actually made any money. If you're a writer, you're almost certainly waiting even longer, since you have to pay your artist first since they can only work on one book in a month at most. You may never see a cent if a book doesn't hit.(This all becomes even more difficult and costly if you're self-publishing, of course.)

Ewing seems to be branching out to creator-owned now, but I imagine it'll be a slow roll out for him. Hickman has usually had a series or two going, but Decorum seems to be the only thing he's currently working on (assuming he's done writing Black Monday Murders and is just waiting for the art to finish). In either case, I'm assuming they do work for hire to keep food on the table and fund creator-owned work. Artists can, at least to some extent, dictate how much they get paid while waiting on returns for creator-owned stuff, but that's going to be between them and the writer, as well as ownership and such.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hickman use your X-Men money to finish Manhattan Projects, thanks.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hickman use your X-Men money to finish Manhattan Projects, thanks.

I don't know if there was an explicit ending planned for that? Like, Hickman can do anything he wants for Image. They're not gonna say no. I think he and Pitarra just got to a point and decided it was enough.

From what I heard (here?), BMM was delayed due to Coker (sickness?), not Hickman. So it'll be finished. Which is good because it's absolutely my favorite thing of Hickman's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kieron Gillen says he makes more money off an Image book that sells 10,000 copies than a work for hire book that sells 50,000. But not every Image book does Wicked + Divine numbers, anyone have an idea what the median sales are for Image books?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Kieron Gillen says he makes more money off an Image book that sells 10,000 copies than a work for hire book that sells 50,000. But not every Image book does Wicked + Divine numbers, anyone have an idea what the median sales are for Image books?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/is-image-comics-pioneering-a-new-gilded-age-of-comics/

Obviously take anything from BC with a grain of salt but it definitely sounds like if you're a bigger named creator, your Image (or Boom or whatever) book is recently selling in the 50k+ numbers (variants included). And a good amount of this might be speculators, hoping to get in on another Something Is Killing the Children. I think Decorum did pretty well. Obviously there's money involved in creator-owned stuff if you have an established rep.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Alex_Chung/status/1417543655485677569?s=20

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's incredible.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This one's for you Morph!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

danbanana posted:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/is-image-comics-pioneering-a-new-gilded-age-of-comics/

Obviously take anything from BC with a grain of salt but it definitely sounds like if you're a bigger named creator, your Image (or Boom or whatever) book is recently selling in the 50k+ numbers (variants included). And a good amount of this might be speculators, hoping to get in on another Something Is Killing the Children. I think Decorum did pretty well. Obviously there's money involved in creator-owned stuff if you have an established rep.
That's frequently only for the first issue, which is part of the whole speculation thing discussed in that article. For context, the last time we had a unified Diamond sales chart with estimated sales (March 2020) here are the best-selling creator owned comics from that month:

1. Decorum #1 (47,503)
2. Mirka Andolfo's Mercy #1 (46,861)
3. Spawn #306 (35,026)*
4. The Resistance #1 (26,095)**
5. Undiscovered Country #5 (22,851)
6. Something is Killing the Children #6 (14,365)
7. King of Nowhere #1 (13,361)
8. X-Ray Robot #1 (13,296)
9. Die Die Die #9 (10,369)
10. Sex Criminals #28 (10,367)

Stealth #1*** and Monstress #27 are the only other two CO books that broke 10,000 in March 2020, and Monstress was at 162 on the sales charts that month.
* Spawn I guess is technically being written by Todd McFarlane currently but for much of its run has effectively been a WFH book with people who aren't Todd McFarlane writing and drawing it.
** The Resistance is owned by Artists Writers & Artistans LLC but the creators (in this case JMS and Mike Deodato) are supposed to have solid "creator participation" above and beyond what Marvel/DC offer
*** Stealth (and a surprising number of Image books packaged by Skybound) are technically owned by Robert Kirkman, not the creators, but again they're supposed to have good "creator participation" too

Flash forward to March 2021, BRZKR #1 (co-written by and promoted by Keanu Reeves) was the best-selling book of the month and allegedly sold 600,000 copies worldwide. The next biggest was Nocterra #1 (by Snyder and Daniel) in at #8. Other CO books in the Top 100 for March 2021 are:

Crossover #5 (38th)
Karmen #1 (46th)
Shadecraft #1 (48th)
Department of Truth #7 (50th)
Proctor Valley Road #1 (58th) (Apparently this property is owned by Universal, not Morrison/Child/et al)
Ultramega #1 (68th) (owned by Skybound)
Walking Dead Deluxe #10 (72nd)
HaHa #3 (78th)
Norse Mythology #6 (81st)
Orphan & the Five Beasts #1 (82nd)
Radiant Black #2 (84th)
Walking Dead Deluxe #11 (95th)
Stray Dogs #2 (99th)

Now a lot of these books are liable to sell more in the long run as collected editions, and like Gillen and others have said you make more money off of a creator-owned book selling an order of magnitude less than a Big Two book, but based off of estimates no one other than maybe loving Spawn of all things is ever consistently selling anywhere near 50,000 copies of single issues outside of the first one. The more recent Something is Killing the Children book that got hyped up by BC as selling over 150,000 copies also had 40+ "retailer exclusive" covers which requires stores to order 1,000 or more copies of the book to get a special cover. I guess this indicate there's a real interest in the book but is also a big outlier for how creator owned books generally sell. And the "established rep" thing is definitely a tiered thing, most of the really high-selling ones are from people like Scott Snyder, Geoff Johns, Jonathan Hickman, James Tynion IV, people who have written huge Batman/X-Men/etc. series in the very recent past. You can have a very established rep on the order of a Lemire/Zdarsky/Allred/Gillen/Rucka/Remender/Ewing/etc. and your ceiling really is right around that 10k figure Gillen cited way back.

Again, that's fine, those creators *do* have an established track record and I'm sure Die or The Scumbag or We Only Find Them When They're Dead are going to sell more than 10,000 collections eventually. But they're all going to initially sell way less than them writing famous superheroes, and nowhere near 50k.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Surprised I enjoyed today's New Mutants nearly 100% after the last issue left me burned on quite a few points. The sidelined kids taking on a mission to bring back Gabby and their reasoning to do so was heart warming. I could have done without the Daken dissing, though, which went on for way too long and felt out of character on how he was portrayed elsewhere.

Marauders didn't advance much the plot, but the backstory of Lourdes was fairly interesting. Solid work as usual.

This week has also Peter David's return to his original X-Factor run, which I will be checking later today.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Saoshyant posted:

Surprised I enjoyed today's New Mutants nearly 100% after the last issue left me burned on quite a few points. The sidelined kids taking on a mission to bring back Gabby and their reasoning to do so was heart warming. I could have done without the Daken dissing, though, which went on for way too long and felt out of character on how he was portrayed elsewhere.

Marauders didn't advance much the plot, but the backstory of Lourdes was fairly interesting. Solid work as usual.

This week has also Peter David's return to his original X-Factor run, which I will be checking later today.

I think it was meant to be kind of an unfair and inaccurate dig. Hence his thought bubbles (I think?) which otherwise would have felt kind of out of place. I'll spoil the rest of this just to be safe, but for reference I'll just be talking about this week's New Mutants: way I read it was that this was sort of a counterpoint to the conversation Rahne and Xi'an had about who gets to change, who makes good on that chance, etc.. Daken really is not the guy he was pre-Krakoa-- he's somebody who took an opportunity to grow and repent and did it, and is a better person. But No-Girl doesn't spend a lot of time with him so she doesn't see that-- she just sees, quite sensibly from her perspective, just a horny violent guy who runs around blowing off his sister.

But Daken recoils from this and takes it personally because, well, this is coming from somebody who, as far as he knows, usually doesn't feel this way, and as we learn later in the issue, is especially good at meeting people where they are. So-- No-Girl is reading Daken from the perspective of No-Girl, not Gabby, and at the same time by doing so she's failing in a quite spectacular way at "performing" Gabby.

So I think it's a scene that's sort of discordant and aggravating, but in a way that works pretty well with this arc's themes about people trying and failing to figure out the right way to live and the right way to live with other people.

I really liked the issue too. It's simultaneously really ambitious and really tight. It's funny that Children of the Atom has felt so listless and meandering because Ayala is doing really incredible work on this title.

Edit: Some thoughts on Marauders: I don't really need another man writing a rape revenge story but whatever, it's 2021 and I'm used to it. That being said I like the Hellfire Club stuff. I've kind of been idly wondering why they haven't just brought back Harry Leland, the sort of seemingly sane and pliable member of the Inner Circle, so I'm very interested in seeing where that and the Lourdes Chantal stuff goes. I think that would cover the mutants among the OG Hellfire Club? I forget if von Rohm was an actual latent mutant or if Selene just turned him into a werewolf via plot funsies.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 21, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
New Mutants was spinning s wheels too much this week. We get it, things are sketchy regarding ressurecting clones and Shadow King's been acting suspicious (and roping Rhane into whatever he's doing). This has been the plot for the last several issues! Do the thing already!

Marauders was also kind of weird. I get that Shaw is a big part of the book but I have to say he's not exactly a charismatic antagonist and I didn't really care for the underpinnings of his pathos. I also have absolutely no affinity for the New Hellfire Kids/Verendi group so that plotline is fart city as well.

There was honestly more interesting Krakoa kontent in Guardians this week for me than either of the actual X-books, which is weird, because Marauders is usually great and I at least kinda sorta like New Mutants. I wonder if orienting everything around the Hellfir Gala/Trial of Magneto/Inferno is loving with the pacing?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

So I think it's a scene that's sort of discordant and aggravating, but in a way that works pretty well with this arc's themes about people trying and failing to figure out the right way to live and the right way to live with other people.

I like this take. I do feel the whole affair is sort of clunky regardless of intention, but I feel invested in it nonetheless, and that's what matters in fiction.

In other news, I read Guardians and honestly couldn't tell what Krakoa content it had other than some comments about the new currency and the suspicion that the Scartet Witch died. Also, centering a crossover event on someone as boring as Dormammu is lame. Characters are good as always, but it doesn't feel like one of the good Ewing concepts.

I also read Legends #5 and it does read mostly as an old X-Factor comic, which is great. I say "mostly" because there's some of that more recent obsession of PAD with mythical mumbo jumbo with witches names, bringing that up to attention, and Strong Guy not being affected by some magical energy impact thingy -- the sort of stuff I don't recall in his original X-Factor run, but which did start to grate by the time his Madrox led X-Factor run was ending and afterwards with his Ben Reilly book.

Todd Nauck's art here is certainly good, but doesn't feel very 90's action figure-like, even though the contemporary clothing is there and he's an artist from the Extreme Studios era. It's the faces, not the characters' bodies. Not sure if Larry Stroman could have been onboard for this project, but I wouldn't say no to see what his crazy art looks like thirty years later.

edit: oh yeah, that sort of happened! 12 years ago they were reunited for a couple of issues of the Madrox-led X-Factor, I had completely forgotten.

Still weird, still crazy, and still very distinctive. Tag yourself. I'm the oversized cat looking at the small eagle.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 22, 2021

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Saoshyant posted:

edit: oh yeah, that sort of happened! 12 years ago they were reunited for a couple of issues of the Madrox-led X-Factor, I had completely forgotten.

Still weird, still crazy, and still very distinctive. Tag yourself. I'm the oversized cat looking at the small eagle.

Oh poo poo I might need to flip through that. Strohman's work on those few issues when David took over are gorgeous. The Cartoonist Kayfabe guys flipped through the first issue (71?) a while back and pointed out all the crazy fashion-plate stuff going on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

danbanana posted:

Oh poo poo I might need to flip through that.

Well, if you want the specific issues he penned, it's X-Factor vol. 3, #33–36 and 38 (2008-2009), five issues in total.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Saoshyant posted:

Very cool! I see it's got art by Todd Nauck, I dug his work in Invincible spin-off Guardiang the Globe. Did you folks dig the Simonson Legends issue? And I wonder when we'll see what Claremont's issue is of that. Gotta keep Chris in the mix.

I like how over at IDW, Larry Hama just has a blank check to write GI Joe comics until the end of time. As baffling and kooky as they may be to me personally, it's just nice to know he has that luxury, he earned it. Chris Claremont, we love Chris here, so they gotta let him loose with more canvas to paint his magic ideas on. I can dig he's kind of retired, and he's on sort of a Marvel legend retirement plan type of thing, but he's still got it I say. Just based on how cool and funny he is in interviews and podcasts, this man is still a genius I say.

I want Chris Claremont's Gambit ongoing series. Chris Claremont presents... Chris Claremont's Gambit. In... Gambit... the new series from Chris Claremont. Featuring Hideo Kojima.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 22, 2021

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
I had to Google to double check who y'all were talking about, but Strohman's pudding faces are a major turnoff for me. To this day I remember how much I disliked those issues of X-Factor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
while it is certainly possible that stroman completely forgot how to draw, i think it's probably the inker.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I picked up Planet Sized X and “i’m horny for this flex” is one of the worst lines I have read in a long long time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
When did Shaw die and get brought back? I don't remember that and suddenly in Marauders he's up again. I mean I'm sure it must have happened at some point in the gala but I'm just not recalling it.

Holy poo poo they even gave him the turkey leg. Astounding.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

TwoPair posted:

When did Shaw die and get brought back? I don't remember that and suddenly in Marauders he's up again. I mean I'm sure it must have happened at some point in the gala but I'm just not recalling it.

Between issues, it was a reward for good behavior.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I don't think he was resurrected, I'm pretty sure he was just healed.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
He didn't die, he just got the poo poo beaten out of him and was forbidden from getting healed as part of a blackmail/revenge thing for killing Kate Pryde. IIRC he was in a wheelchair and had an eye missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah he was rocking the wheelchair pirate look for a while. I just forgot Krakoa has a bunch of healers around, I had it in my head that the only way he was getting fixed had to be death and resurrection.

e: typing that reminded me that I'm pretty sure Kate still has KILL SHAW knuckle tats and that's great.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 23, 2021