Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oh my loving god I have never hated a character in a video game more than that guy

Why did I trust that piece of poo poo?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Did you run into Maldron again?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TeaJay posted:

Is the only way to make the corpse run to Sir Alonne to kill the enemies on the way until they don't spawn anymore?

On the upper floor, you can avoid a lot of nonsense by dipping into the hallway on the left, killing the salamander there, jumping out and running for the hole. At the very least, there's fewer the enemies in your way that way and despawning them makes that a breeze. The Alonne knights on the lower level are more of a pain. You might have to kill 3 or 4 on the same level as you just so you have some breathing room, but if you time it right you can race past them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Akuma posted:

Oh my loving god I have never hated a character in a video game more than that guy

:allears:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hes there to help you along

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Akuma posted:

did you seriously beat burnt ivory king without finding any additional knights

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
That's pretty impressive tbh!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yes but technically no, my first try on my own I got him down to a third health. My second try I summoned two people, one of them died fairly quickly and the other one was amazing and totally carried me as I flailed around trying to be helpful.

Draga posted:

Did you run into Maldron again?
Its amazing how much personality they give the NPCs with the very limited palette of emotes and stuff.

loving hate that guy.

Edit: oh yeah so now I have three knights just chilling there. I mean the least they could do is help me grind out some loyce souls for god's sake

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Maldron's appearance in Ivory King is the most amazingly cheeky thing I've seen a developer do.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I hate the Pursuer so much. The first appearance and the boss fight is fine, but the fact the fucker keeps turning up is annoying.

"Oh cool, treasure!"
*sound of Pursuer materialising.

"Oh, a cellar I haven't explor..."
*sound of Pursuer materialising
"gently caress."

"Hey, here's..."
"JUST LET ME FIGHT THE OGRE AND LOOK AT THE drat GENDER CHANGE COFFIN IN PEACE!"

Worst bit was coming out of the coffin, eating a human effigy to see what I looked like and getting smashed by the Pursuer.

I think I'd mind less if he wasn't such a crap design.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
lol Percy is awesome and my friend

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I for one am a fan of Casey Jones the Darksoulsman. And besides, he's there to gift you free twinkling titanite, be grateful! :v:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I somehow completely missed The Pursuer Experience in my playthrough. One brief encounter on a roof in the FoFG where he was dropped in by a wyvern or a bird or something, I think? I died, went back and he wasn't there. Somehow missed the area that takes you to the Lost Bastille in my first go through the forest. When I went back at the end of the game I was insanely overleveled for that fight. Didn't meet him anywhere else between those two encounters so I guess the progression was broken.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

I hate the Pursuer so much. The first appearance and the boss fight is fine, but the fact the fucker keeps turning up is annoying.

"Oh cool, treasure!"

"gently caress."

"Hey, here's..."
"JUST LET ME FIGHT THE OGRE AND LOOK AT THE drat GENDER CHANGE COFFIN IN PEACE!"

Worst bit was coming out of the coffin, eating a human effigy to see what I looked like and getting smashed by the Pursuer.

It's a grave mistake to not lure out the ogres and fight the pursuer alone. He is really really easy to parry. Like I get the ring of blades on the first encounter, no latter the build as you can get the buckler right before the cardinal tower bonfire.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I like the repeated pursuer fights because after the first 1.5 he's a chump and It's pretty fun to beat him up.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sway Grunt posted:

I somehow completely missed The Pursuer Experience in my playthrough. One brief encounter on a roof in the FoFG where he was dropped in by a wyvern or a bird or something, I think? I died, went back and he wasn't there. Somehow missed the area that takes you to the Lost Bastille in my first go through the forest. When I went back at the end of the game I was insanely overleveled for that fight. Didn't meet him anywhere else between those two encounters so I guess the progression was broken.
There's not really any progression, he just shows up in different spots but I don't think any of them are necessarily critical path except the boss fight.

Edit: what's worse than one giant cat that feels like a reskin of a giant rat? Two giant cats that feel like reskins of a giant rat.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 20, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like for every spawn that's tucked away in some random spot or requires you to backtrack in a way you'd never think to there's another that's pretty in your face. Though most of them are concentrated in Lost Bastille so if you don't thoroughly explore it (which can get extra weird because of the branching paths) you'd never realize.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 20, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

I feel like for every spawn that's tucked away in some random spot or requires you to backtrack in a way you'd never think to there's another that's pretty in your face.
Maybe but I don't think you have to go through any of them. The one at the start of Lost Bastille (depending on which side you come from...) only appears if you drop down and go for the chest, the other one behind McDuff you don't have to go that way, either, if you came from the other side... the throne room in the castle isn't necessary to visit... Unless you explore everywhere I can see how you could miss a lot of them. I'm absolutely forgetting some obvious ones though, I'm sure.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Got caught editing. :v:

None of them are on a critical path, but out of the four in Lost Bastille three are really easy to blunder into. The one guarding the chest, with the caveat you need to show up via the Forest entrance, the one in the yard by McDuff, and the one down the ladder by the Servant's Quarters bonfire. It's really just the one behind the illusory wall up top that's out of the way.

The ones in the throne room are NG+ only so basically impossible to discover by accident on a first playthrough unless you get tipped off by all the bloodstains, Smelter Demon one requires you to backtrack in a way you'd never naturally do, Things Betwixt one is a wacky Scholar joke.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 20, 2021

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm watching a video now and I think I misremembered. I definitely recognize that chest at the Bastille that he's guarding but I must have just ran away or died and decided not to come back or something like that. And then under the Servants' Quarters - isn't that the entrance to Belfry Luna? I visited that area so I must have met him there as well, right?

Maybe I just didn't remember him as "The Pursuer" because he doesn't have a boss HP bar for these encounters and having earlier missed the actual, bonafide boss fight at the Forest I just didn't recognize it as the same enemy. I feel like that must have been the case.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sway Grunt posted:

I'm watching a video now and I think I misremembered. I definitely recognize that chest at the Bastille that he's guarding but I must have just ran away or died and decided not to come back or something like that. And then under the Servants' Quarters - isn't that the entrance to Belfry Luna? I visited that area so I must have met him there as well, right?

Maybe I just didn't remember him as "The Pursuer" because he doesn't have a boss HP bar for these encounters and having earlier missed the actual, bonafide boss fight at the Forest I just didn't recognize it as the same enemy. I feel like that must have been the case.

Were you playing vanilla DS2 or Scholar of the First Sin version? He doesn't have the recurring encounters in vanilla DS2. I'm not sure if the encounters are modified by beating the boss version first or not, but that's the other option if you didn't see any of them.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
The only post-boss appearances he has in vanilla are the Smelter arena and the NG+ throne room.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I was playing Scholar. I'm pretty confident that's what happened now, I did in fact meet him in some of these locations but didn't know he was called The Pursuer and so didn't recognize that it's the same enemy every time. So in a way I still missed out on the true Pursuer experience - i.e. the frustration of being chased by this rear end in a top hat - just out of ignorance.

edit: Also can I just quickly say that "Things Betwixt" is the best area name in the series. Does anything come close? Maybe Dreg Heap?

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 20, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Guillermus posted:

It's a grave mistake to not lure out the ogres and fight the pursuer alone. He is really really easy to parry. Like I get the ring of blades on the first encounter, no latter the build as you can get the buckler right before the cardinal tower bonfire.

I'd arrow'd one way earlier in the game and was going to get the other one. When Pursuer popped up, I retreated til he pissed off, then killed the ogre.

Of course, the coffin is a reset, so Pursuer came back while I was checking myself out.

Funny thing, I realised the mechanic kinda reminded me of the demons mechanic in God Hand. If you haven't played it, its like an 80's beat-em-up but 3D, and occasionally a regular mook turns into a MUCH faster and MUCH stronger demon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb2G9_FO-kY&t=53s

This guy's clowning on it here, but you can get the gist.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sway Grunt posted:

edit: Also can I just quickly say that "Things Betwixt" is the best area name in the series. Does anything come close? Maybe Dreg Heap?

Not every one is amazing, but a lot of the area names in 2 are really, really good.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Got super lucky and after rushing for the Chariot, did some torturer farming for the bloodied whip (that I never seen drop before) and got it at like the 3rd clear. So now I have a +6 Whip, +6 Notched Whip and +6 Bloodied Whip along with a +2 Old Whip. Instead of keep clearing Huntsman Copse, I went for the Royal Rat Authority and Old Whip didn't last the whole fight (even with the +0 bracing knuckle ring) but I had... 3 more as backup! :haw:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Elissimpark posted:

"Oh cool, treasure!"

"gently caress."

"Hey, here's..."

If you run away he ironically doesn't pursue you, he just whooshes back into the ground, so that's an option if you're a coward.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Wanna make a mod where the Pursuer appears whenever you spawn somewhere and continuously pursues you throughout the entire game. If you kill him you get a 5 minute break until he appears and starts chasing you again. The only way to avoid him is at Majula or in boss arenas.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Wanna make a mod where the Pursuer appears whenever you spawn somewhere and continuously pursues you throughout the entire game. If you kill him you get a 5 minute break until he appears and starts chasing you again. The only way to avoid him is at Majula or in boss arenas.

Make him spawn at the cliff edge in Majula and just stare at you while you go about your business.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

As long as he drops twinkling titanite every time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Randomizer where every enemy and boss has at least a 10% chance of being replaced by the Pursuer.

Edit: Light the fourth primal bonfire and BOOM Pursuer explodes out of it.

Bearer of the, seek, seek, BAM Pursuer in disguise!

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 20, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DS1's cheatengine had a setting like that. It would just slowly draw every enemy in range to you. It really made getting out of the bonfire room in Anor Londo an.... experience.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've had my share of cheese but hitting an Ancient dragon between his toes the whole fight must be pretty high on the list.

Managed to beat the Burnt Ivory king too so probably next is another go at Vendrick now with 4 giant souls.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

TeaJay posted:

I've had my share of cheese but hitting an Ancient dragon between his toes the whole fight must be pretty high on the list.

Managed to beat the Burnt Ivory king too so probably next is another go at Vendrick now with 4 giant souls.

If you've beat the Ancient Dragon, you should probably have 5 Giant souls.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TeaJay posted:

Congrats!

Gully Foyle posted:

If you've beat the Ancient Dragon, you should probably have 5 Giant souls.

He said earlier he ate one.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Who needs they giant soulussy ate

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I ate the Black Gulch one before knowing it was kinda important. Whoops! But at least now I have a bit of a chance with Vendrick.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 21, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And now I've got him as well with the final final boss. Have to see if I can beat the couple bosses that I left (big rat and gank squad) but otherwise I think I'm done for now. It was definitely a fun experience, I only played DS3 before this one, which seemed like a bit more of a fast-paced game. Can't wait to pick up DS remastered the next time it appears on sale.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

TeaJay posted:

I only played DS3 before this one, which seemed like a bit more of a fast-paced game. Can't wait to pick up DS remastered the next time it appears on sale.

Yowwwzas, I'm very interested to hear what you think about DkS. I can't imagine going DkS3 --> DkS2 --> DkS1... the first is my favorite, but I wonder if it might seem a bit vanilla if you play it immediately following the two sequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I only have played Dark Souls 2 for a few hours previously. I had just 100%ed both DS1 and DS3 and, I must say, DS2 seems really loving good, just starting out. They were really going for something different here and I appreciate it so far.

By comparison, DS3 seems like a step backwards.