Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I wonder if since I live in Canada, if my fast food experiences are very different since we have different (and stricter) food regulations.
From my experience, yes it's pretty different. Y'all have way better some things and horrendously worse other things. The BK up there is way better and the McDonald's is weirdly bland.

But some of Canada has A&W and that makes up for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

fizzymercury posted:

From my experience, yes it's pretty different. Y'all have way better some things and horrendously worse other things. The BK up there is way better and the McDonald's is weirdly bland.

But some of Canada has A&W and that makes up for everything.

Oh yeah, A&W in Canada is the best overall. I've never once had a bad experience with their food. While I say the Whopper is the best standalone burger, I've had plenty of other food from BK that is underwhelming (their nuggets and fries are routinely disgusting).

But A&W is just always a good time. There's also a good vibe within the building itself. The staff feels more relaxed, the colours and lighting are good, and there's always a handful of elderly people quietly hanging out in a corner with big ol' frosty mugs of root beer.

For those who don't know, if you go into the restaurant you can order a root beer that comes in a glass thats stored in a misted freezer, so they always come out with a layer of ice that is extremely satisfying to sip from.

Its just relaxing to spend time in an A&W.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Jul 19, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Subway is definitely the worst fast food. Absolutely terrible. For eating and for the community they're in.

Five guys is good but really overpriced.
McDonald's is McDonald. They kill all their best items though. Bring back the $1 grilled onion burger and the jalapeno burger.
BK is just sad. The last time I went there was when they got hotdogs
Wendy's is gross and expensive
Taco bell is a gift from god
Culver's has great burgers and secretly the best chicken strips in the game
Popeyes is pretty lit, but the drink selection sucks
KFC. The only time I've been there in the last decade was to try their special brand of mountain dew
Chipotle is a joke. People think they're getting a deal when all they get is a tiny scoop of meat and a million pounds of rice and beans per burrito.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A&W in Canada is interesting as it started as a franchise of the US company but got spun off into a separate company after the US branch got into real trouble.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Culver’s is the only fast food drive thru place where I ever actually get the burger, though the curds and custard are the actual main attraction. They also have the best service. The chicken sandwich wars have also been great for people like me. The spicy BK one is the best thing on their menu, Popeyes obviously rules, McDonalds knockoff chick-fil-a one that they brought back is good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Culver’s is the only fast food drive thru place where I ever actually get the burger, though the curds and custard are the actual main attraction. They also have the best service. The chicken sandwich wars have also been great for people like me. The spicy BK one is the best thing on their menu, Popeyes obviously rules, McDonalds knockoff chick-fil-a one that they brought back is good.

Something about the sauce on the McDonalds one just feels dirty. Like I know it’s gonna give me the shits.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I asked for the chicken sandwich without the pickles at McDonald’s but they left the pickles on. Pickles are kind of overpowering and you can still taste them after removing them. I wish all pickles were served on the side

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pickle remnant without them actually getting in the way is the best use of pickles though.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

A&W in Canada is interesting as it started as a franchise of the US company but got spun off into a separate company after the US branch got into real trouble.
I went to an A&W in Dallas and an A&W in Toroto within a week of one another and the experience convinced me that Canada was clearly a utopia just based on how much better it was.

If they were allowing line cooks with criminal records to immigrate I'd be there tomorrow for the A&W, the all dressed chips, and Hockey Night in Canada. I wouldn't even stop to pack a bag.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

fizzymercury posted:

I went to an A&W in Dallas and an A&W in Toroto within a week of one another and the experience convinced me that Canada was clearly a utopia just based on how much better it was.

If they were allowing line cooks with criminal records to immigrate I'd be there tomorrow for the A&W, the all dressed chips, and Hockey Night in Canada. I wouldn't even stop to pack a bag.

If you can ignore poutine so callously, you might not make it over the border.
The border that is mostly an open space with little stone obelisks and no fences, in plenty of spots nothing more than a dry itch you step across...

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Burger King's burgers always feel like they're overloaded with charbroiled taste. I don't know what the cooking processes are behind the scenes, but they taste less like they've genuinely been on the grill than they've been injected with smoke flavor or something. I don't really get the hype, honestly.

Literally my exact problem with them. They taste like smoke flavor.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

kupachek posted:

If you can ignore poutine so callously, you might not make it over the border.
The border that is mostly an open space with little stone obelisks and no fences, in plenty of spots nothing more than a dry itch you step across...
My god you're right. Duck poutine. Welp I'll just start planning the move. I can't look back now.

e: Wait one of y'all will bail me out of Canadian border jail when I'm caught, right?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

fizzymercury posted:

My god you're right. Duck poutine. Welp I'll just start planning the move. I can't look back now.

e: Wait one of y'all will bail me out of Canadian border jail when I'm caught, right?

You can pass the zed test, right? if so, you can just claim to to "Jimmy from Canada". (although Joe will still deny knowing you)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
PHUO: Property liability on public roads should not be unlimited. If you drive a McClaren F1 to the mall and someone rear‐ends you, that’s largely on you, even if you followed all road laws. Neither you nor your insurance company ought to be able to raid the other driver’s life savings.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
The butter burger at Culvers is overrated and they have awful fries. Hardee's has the best burgers and best fries (curly)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Five Guys burgers are good but overpriced.

Five Guys fries are amazing if, and only if, you can actually get the place to do it extra crispy. They're trash if they're soggy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I haven't seen anybody say Zaxby's, but they're probably my favorite now. It used to be Taco Bell, but then they changed their menu and got rid of everything I liked.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Some people are weirdly eager to be insistent that they don't think Kyrsten Sinema is hot

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like freddys steak burgers

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh yeah, A&W in Canada is the best overall. I've never once had a bad experience with their food. While I say the Whopper is the best standalone burger, I've had plenty of other food from BK that is underwhelming (their nuggets and fries are routinely disgusting).

But A&W is just always a good time. There's also a good vibe within the building itself. The staff feels more relaxed, the colours and lighting are good, and there's always a handful of elderly people quietly hanging out in a corner with big ol' frosty mugs of root beer.

For those who don't know, if you go into the restaurant you can order a root beer that comes in a glass thats stored in a misted freezer, so they always come out with a layer of ice that is extremely satisfying to sip from.

A&W is also the best-tasting root beer overall. Barq's is actually kind-of underrated and hurt itself with those poo poo 90s campaigns. Stewarts and Boylan's are crazy overrated. Mug is acceptable if it's what you've got. A&W however, is always the standout.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's Bundaberg

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Man, I love A&W but the only time I get to go is in Malaysia, so once every 2-3 years. I tried to buy one of those mugs last time, but they had none for sale.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's Bundaberg

Bundaberg is sarsaparilla, which is like root beer's cousin. A&W is definitely the best root beer. Hartz here in Tasmania is the best sars.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
List of Creed songs that I love & sing along with when they come up on shuffle:

-"Torn"
-"My Own Prison"
-"One Last Breath"

:colbert:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Creed was good. Not great, but they sure didn't deserve all the negativity they got

I definitely heard Higher and With Arms Wide Open enough times to hate them though

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm not mad at Bezos for going to space. I'm also not mad he didn't really go all the way to space, technically. I would totally go as far into space as I could if I were a multi-billionaire. I'd jump out the airlock and die in space just to be the first person in history who did it.

But I'd also try to get everybody healthcare and education and job security and dignity instead of whatever else Bezos wastes his money on, that dumb bald short motherfucker.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

I definitely heard Higher and With Arms Wide Open enough times to hate them though
That's the crux of it. It is not an accident that during the "bad trip" scene in 22 Jump Street they use "Higher" as audio shorthand for "this is a bad time" because they knew drat well their Millennial core would have a Pavlovian response to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riCt1hEUp5o

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

Bundaberg is sarsaparilla, which is like root beer's cousin. A&W is definitely the best root beer. Hartz here in Tasmania is the best sars.
I was going to ruthlessly own you, but apparently Bundaburg just renamed their Sarsparilla to Root Beer in the US. This should be illegal. The best Sarsaparilla is obviously Sioux City Sarsaparilla, get one of them with a Twin Bing and you'll have had everything of worth Iowa ever produced

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

That's the crux of it. It is not an accident that during the "bad trip" scene in 22 Jump Street they use "Higher" as audio shorthand for "this is a bad time" because they knew drat well their Millennial core would have a Pavlovian response to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riCt1hEUp5o

Also, Creed wouldn't have been near as reviled if Scott Stapp wasn't somehow the most egotistical jerk in the music biz for a period of time.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: I love that mental health awareness has reached a kinda mainstream acceptance, but at the same time I am bothered by how many people have used self-diagnoses or even fake self-diagnoses to excuse them being a piece of poo poo

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gaius Marius posted:

I was going to ruthlessly own you, but apparently Bundaburg just renamed their Sarsparilla to Root Beer in the US. This should be illegal. The best Sarsaparilla is obviously Sioux City Sarsaparilla, get one of them with a Twin Bing and you'll have had everything of worth Iowa ever produced

And it's still the same brew they make in Australia. It's solid, just not my favorite.

I'd never heard of a Twin Bing before, but now I have I would happily eat several with a Sioux City sars.

I wish Australia was bit more interesting chocolate bar wise.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: I love that mental health awareness has reached a kinda mainstream acceptance, but at the same time I am bothered by how many people have used self-diagnoses or even fake self-diagnoses to excuse them being a piece of poo poo

Yeah isn't the point of mental health care to, you know, fix you? To make you acceptable?

Why would you self diagnose and then just continue to be a jerk? Get fixed!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Aramek posted:

Yeah isn't the point of mental health care to, you know, fix you? To make you acceptable?

Oh boy is this a loving question.

1) What does "fixed" look like. What is good mental health and what is a model person with good mental health supposed to look like?

2) What is "acceptable", and who defines it?

People self diagnose because they think if they give a name to something it can help them to understand it. This does not appear to be accurate based on what I have seen.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Aramek posted:

some conditions are so serious they cannot be fixed but they can maybe be treated so that life is a little less horrible. That poo poo can still suck though, no matter how much mental health care you throw at it. Also, it's impossible to know what's a self-diagnosis and what is real. Best just to take people at their word unless then they are some type of compulsive liar, in which case it's extra obvious they are hurting in some way

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, the idea that the point of someone else's mental health treatment is specifically and solely to make them less annoying to you is certainly an opinion, probably not even an unpopular one.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hard to cure complete shamelessness. when shameless people see an advantage they will use it, exploiting sympathy for mental illness included

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was going to self diagnose with adhd, but I got distracted thinking about Digimon cards

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

some conditions are so serious they cannot be fixed but they can maybe be treated so that life is a little less horrible. That poo poo can still suck though, no matter how much mental health care you throw at it. Also, it's impossible to know what's a self-diagnosis and what is real. Best just to take people at their word unless then they are some type of compulsive liar, in which case it's extra obvious they are hurting in some way

The problem as well is what works for one person won't work for another and the whole process of "get therapy" is such a huge goddamn thing for so many people.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’ve had ADHD since I was a kid and didn’t realize until now, at 27.

I guess my unpopular opinion is that messy, forgetful kids who are too paralyzed to do homework aren’t bad people.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’ve had ADHD since I was a kid and didn’t realize until now, at 27.

I guess my unpopular opinion is that messy, forgetful kids who are too paralyzed to do homework aren’t bad people.

Nope, just bad students

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Yeah, gently caress these people who won't just get therapy and fix their brains overnight.

I mean, who doesn't just have $100-300 a session available, for dozens of sessions? Ugh stop making excuses for your behaviour.