Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
He's always worked corporate, which in my very limited experience at least tends to have a legal team that doesn't want to have to defend against a slam dunk lawsuit, whereas small businesses know drat well you're probably not going to get a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

At least a dozen people caught covid at a party we hosted last week for about 100 people. I'm just glad everyone I care about is fully vaccinated.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Republicans posted:

At least a dozen people caught covid at a party we hosted last week for about 100 people. I'm just glad everyone I care about is fully vaccinated.

name post combo too on point

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Well, I did my part to support the local industry just now.

After a stupid crazy shift sweating my figurative balls off, I'm driving a few blocks from my house and pass a sign on the telephone pole that reads "LEmoNAdE StANd ----> ". After remembering when I was a kid and had a stand, and how excited I was to have a customer, I had no choice but to loop around the block and buy one.

The kids, boy and a girl (neither older than 10 I imagine), were freakin' adorable, and FOH naturals. "Would you like pink or regular?" "Would you like ice, or no ice?" "What color cup would you like [gestures at the 4 colors of Solo cup like she's a showcase girl on Price Is Right]?" I order a regular, no ice, orange cup.

While the boy taps the drink, the girl tries to upsell me on the brownies they're also selling. (I would've, but I literally scrounged change from my car console to afford the $1 lemonade.)

Boy starts to hand me my cup, then stops. "Oh no, you asked for no ice, and I ---" he looks mortified --- "I put ice in it."
"No worries, bud, ice is fine."
"Do you... Ya want me to me to make you a new one?" (Holy poo poo, what kind of Karen does this poor kid have for a mom that that's his reaction?!)
"No, hon, the ice is fine! It's hot out! But thanks for asking."
He still looked distressed, so I said "My man, I work for a restaurant, and we mess up things ALL the time. Y'all are doing a great job here. Best of luck with your business, I'll tell my friends to stop by!" He seemed mollified by this and smiled.

In retrospect, I should have advised them to have a tip jar, because holy poo poo was that some great customer service. From a couple of pre-tweens. The "would you like"s instead of "Ya want [x]?" were killing me, I was trying so hard not to laugh. They were little babby FOHs.

Now I want to make a Yelp page for their lemonade stand and flood it with 5 stars.

edit: I am now drinking hard lemonade out of the orange Solo cup, which from here on in is The Official Lemonade (hard or otherwise) Cup. Keeping it with my souvenir glasses from breweries and such.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 10, 2021

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That fuckin rules :3:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

In today's installment of "Ways We Get Hurt On The Job"...

We're short staffed, hauling rear end on a busy Sunday morning, tickets are piling up on the rail, but we're maintaining. No, screw that, we were killing it, all things considered.

I'm busy dredging chicken as fast as my arthritic hands will let me and hear one of my line guys (named, you guessed it, Mark ---we have 2 now) yell "gently caress". I see a biscuit on the floor. I figure he dropped it and that's why he cussed, but then watch as he runs to the bathroom, looking white as a sheet. A few seconds later he's yelling from the back where the staff bathroom is: "MARK! It's uh, bad."
Mark 2: "Like, stitches bad, dude?"
Mark 1: "I dunno" ...and this badass mofo looks like he's gonna pass out.

I don't have a clue what happened but go into instant Den Mother mode and grab a fresh towel and some ice, but our GM, Emily, (who is a saintly woman that used to do BOH before her hip gave out on her) intercepts and says "thanks JD, just keep making food, I got this."

Turns out he sliced the gently caress out of his right thumb on the table, of all things. He had messed up slicing the biscuit, went to throw it out, and while slinging it under the table to the garbage can whipped his hand back across the underside where there's a nasty gouge in the.... I dunno what you call it, where the table top curves under and should form a lip, but instead made for a thumb-slicing machine. So not a nice clean knife slice you can superglue, but a gross jagged mess.

Emily patched him up real pretty, he enjoyed an extended cigarette break, and was back in action about 15 minutes later.

And so industry life goes.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > The Restaurant Industry Thread: The prep table also hungers

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I worked with a waiter who managed to tear a giant hole in the front of his pants on the corner of a table with two clothes on it. Son of a bitch bogarted my apron for the night leaving me with useless woman pockets for all my stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I worked with a waiter who managed to tear a giant hole in the front of his pants on the corner of a table with two clothes on it. Son of a bitch bogarted my apron for the night leaving me with useless woman pockets for all my stuff.

Did he not wear an apron himself or did he tear both his apron and his pants. wearing an apron is key to waiting tables.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I can't believe my Worst Injury story hasn't been told here before. Spoilering because extremely :nms:

At Disney, working the line next to this older dude who was on fry. He was wearing a watch, which predictably slipped his wrist and plunked into the fryer. Dude reached in after it on a stupid reflex, dunked his hand in and jerked it back instantly when he realized what he did.

Well being an older dude, he jerked it back too hard and lost his balance. Started falling backwards and overcorrected himself, and went forward. Went into the fryer up past his elbow and sloshed a bunch of oil on the floor. The oil on the floor caused him to slip around more and he couldn't get traction to pull himself out; he was in that fryer for a solid 4 or 5 seconds before the grill guy grabbed him and pulled him out. I didn't even know what had happened before he was out.

The sound this man was making is the worst thing I've ever heard and still gives me chills. His skin ended up degloving up to the elbow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I closed that and didn't read the rest the moment I saw the words "next to the fry pit"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I closed that and didn't read the rest the moment I saw the words "next to the fry pit"

It's for the best honestly

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I can't believe my Worst Injury story hasn't been told here before. Spoilering because extremely :nms:

At Disney, working the line next to this older dude who was on fry. He was wearing a watch, which predictably slipped his wrist and plunked into the fryer. Dude reached in after it on a stupid reflex, dunked his hand in and jerked it back instantly when he realized what he did.

Well being an older dude, he jerked it back too hard and lost his balance. Started falling backwards and overcorrected himself, and went forward. Went into the fryer up past his elbow and sloshed a bunch of oil on the floor. The oil on the floor caused him to slip around more and he couldn't get traction to pull himself out; he was in that fryer for a solid 4 or 5 seconds before the grill guy grabbed him and pulled him out. I didn't even know what had happened before he was out.

The sound this man was making is the worst thing I've ever heard and still gives me chills. His skin ended up degloving up to the elbow.

A very Florida version of that Canadian PSA.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Forgive my ignorance, but I feel like it would be pretty easy to have a counterweighted lid over the fryer to limit the risk period for this sort of thing. have it raise and lower off of/with the basket.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but I feel like it would be pretty easy to have a counterweighted lid over the fryer to limit the risk period for this sort of thing. have it raise and lower off of/with the basket.

The general design philosophy behind kitchen equipment is to keep it as simple (and cheap!) as possible. It's often not maintained very well, frequently nobody on premises has the expertise to do so and shortcuts will be taken. What you're describing sounds nice in theory but I'd wonder about the failure modes for it and how those could impact service, what it would change about the cleaning/maintenance procedures, etc. I could see something like that gaining traction among very corporate places that are more concerned about a lawsuit than they are about speed (think hotels), but open fryers have been the standard for decades and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Commercial kitchen equipment is often designed with brutal efficiency in mind. Safety is a distant seventh place to speed, simplicity, cost, and 3 other things I can't think of offhand.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I don't think you'd want anything that might even possibly be gathering condensation over a fryer

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JawKnee posted:

I don't think you'd want anything that might even possibly be gathering condensation over a fryer

So wait I should move my icemaker somewhere other than above my deep fryer?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
gotta get that fry-cook, drink mixing synergy tho

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Adding fried ice cream to the menu was a great way to find out who forgot they dropped something most often.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Did he not wear an apron himself or did he tear both his apron and his pants. wearing an apron is key to waiting tables.

He didn't wear an apron. I never said he was smart or good at his job. I later overheard him telling a table that the pasta was served in a romaine(romano) sherry cream sauce.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Sextro posted:

Adding fried ice cream to the menu was a great way to find out who forgot they dropped something most often.
I spent three very long weeks of my life, 24 total straight days, working a fried ice cream and churro booth at a county fair. I have never, in my whole life, hated a food with more complete and utter passion.

I got horribly burned on the last day on the job because a ball of ice cream exploded right as I pulled it. I have scars the size of ping pong balls on my cleavage from where the lava ball full of melted sugar gravel landed right dead center on my tits.

It was so loving miserable to clean the booth at the end of the day, too. I felt like I was getting the damp lung from all the cleaning supplies it took to degrease the place. I think I'm still finding cinnamon sugar in my cleavage.

Whoever invented fried ice cream can go gently caress themselves.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fizzymercury posted:

I spent three very long weeks of my life, 24 total straight days, working a fried ice cream and churro booth at a county fair. I have never, in my whole life, hated a food with more complete and utter passion.

I got horribly burned on the last day on the job because a ball of ice cream exploded right as I pulled it. I have scars the size of ping pong balls on my cleavage from where the lava ball full of melted sugar gravel landed right dead center on my tits.

It was so loving miserable to clean the booth at the end of the day, too. I felt like I was getting the damp lung from all the cleaning supplies it took to degrease the place. I think I'm still finding cinnamon sugar in my cleavage.

Whoever invented fried ice cream can go gently caress themselves.

We get it, you have boobs

Seriously though, working a fried anything stall at a fair sounds like a certain circle of hell

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I haven't cut myself with a knife in 20 years. I have done it on weird edges of tongs and tables a lot though.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
My first ever food industry gig was working for a concessions company at the county fair for cash under the table at 13 and for years after. I did corn dogs, onions rings, sausages, and steak sandwiches mostly over the years. The combination of bugs, heat, the weirdness of fair people (both coworkers and customers), and the complete lack of privacy for 14hrs a day were indeed a special kind of experience. Never burned myself but I got pretty severe heat exhaustion once. I got to see a dude batter his hand and dunk it in the O-ring fryer once, but just for a few seconds. I haven't thought about that job in ages.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
County fair people are super fuckin weird. I wish I could have seen more of them honestly

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Budget carnies

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Field Mousepad posted:

I haven't cut myself with a knife in 20 years. I have done it on weird edges of tongs and tables a lot though.

After like 4 hours scrubbing, I used to "slice" the tip of my fingers prying apart round chafer pans. There was no sliding along the rim, they would just wreck the tips fingers like a hot knife through butter. I just didn't have the calluses of the 60 y/o Hispanic ladies.

To be fair, I only worked dish for like 3 months and only got stuck on banquet pans like 11 times. But goddamn I would work that job if it payed like serving does. I ran through every album I had.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I saw a dude deglove his hand dipping caramel apples, but that was more drug related. The worst frier injury I saw was a guy was reaching over the frier and knocked the bracket that holds the baskets off. The bracket was hot enough to cause him to reflexively jerk his hand away from it, and right into the frier. His arm was so deep in the frier, you could tell where the cool zone was just by looking at his burns.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Worst fryer incident I ever saw happened while I was the bar manager at a seafood joint.

At closing, one of the kitchen guys went to drain one of the fryers.

He hadn't checked to see whether it was turned off.

It had not been turned off.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've seen a couple fires from that. Not sure how you could get an injury though? I can't imagine coming into contact with the oil when you're draining it, it's still hot for like 6 hours after you turn off the fryer.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Timby posted:

Worst fryer incident I ever saw happened while I was the bar manager at a seafood joint.

At closing, one of the kitchen guys went to drain one of the fryers.

He hadn't checked to see whether it was turned off.

It had not been turned off.

Sounds like all that would do is burn out the element, which sucks but wouldn't cause any harm.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

evilpicard posted:

I've seen a couple fires from that. Not sure how you could get an injury though? I can't imagine coming into contact with the oil when you're draining it, it's still hot for like 6 hours after you turn off the fryer.

I don't remember exactly how it happened, it was on a particularly chaotic night (and this was a couple of days before the doors were locked without warning and all of our last two paychecks bounced); one cook had already needed to be sent to the ED because he had sliced a finger all the way to the bone, and a server, after doing a rail in the walk-in, slipped and conked her head, also requiring someone to take her to the ED.

But this guy's legs were drenched in hot oil. I'll never forget the scream.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Timby posted:

I don't remember exactly how it happened, it was on a particularly chaotic night (and this was a couple of days before the doors were locked without warning and all of our last two paychecks bounced); one cook had already needed to be sent to the ED because he had sliced a finger all the way to the bone, and a server, after doing a rail in the walk-in, slipped and conked her head, also requiring someone to take her to the ED.

But this guy's legs were drenched in hot oil. I'll never forget the scream.

Sounds like one of those places where they think it's ok to drain the oil into plastic as long as you let it cool a bit. I've heard horror stories about that before.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, stainless oil bucket or don't gently caress with me.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I am shocked

'Service with a smile' plus tipping leads to sexual harassment for majority of service employees
UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-07/uond-wa071921.php

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

droll posted:

I am shocked

'Service with a smile' plus tipping leads to sexual harassment for majority of service employees
UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-07/uond-wa071921.php

The reddit thread on that is just a bunch of dipshits bragging about getting numbers from servers and talking about how easy it was to tell if they were actually interested or just doing their job. Like every time a server says "Hey maybe that worked for you but it usually doesn't and you shouldn't really encourage guys to try anyway" they're shouted down for being a prude.

America is hosed up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

fizzymercury posted:

The reddit thread on that is just a bunch of dipshits bragging about getting numbers from servers and talking about how easy it was to tell if they were actually interested or just doing their job. Like every time a server says "Hey maybe that worked for you but it usually doesn't and you shouldn't really encourage guys to try anyway" they're shouted down for being a prude.

America is hosed up.

America is hosed up but I don't think sexism, entitled males, rape culture, PUA, MRA, etc are remotely limited to America.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The reddit thread was specifically discussing how American tipping culture in the service industry works and how it causes people to misinterpret the interaction. Europeans and Australians were discussing how odd they found service in America wrt developing fake smile relationships with customers to sell food.

It's not unique to America, just much less comfortable here from the paid aspect of the relationship.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I heard about this study a few months back when minimum wage was attempted to be stuffed into the first reconciliation bill. I'm honestly surprised the study hasn't gotten more pushback because it could be read as concluding that women are at fault for not pushing back more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Good news: the job I like that is not industry has been picking up lately
Better news: I is an interview for a program director position that I think went really well

Bad news: the restaurant I work at was set on fire this morning so I have a mandatory week and half off with no tips.

Less terrible news: I get paid 8hrs/day of wages through insurance during this mandatory time off.