Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
They should go all digital and not kill anyone imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Apparently Look Back is influenced by the Kyoto Animation arson tragedy? A fan mailed Fujimoto saying he inspired them to become an animator, said person went to KyoAni and perished in the fire, so these feelings are real...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Lily Catts posted:

Apparently Look Back is influenced by the Kyoto Animation arson tragedy? A fan mailed Fujimoto saying he inspired them to become an animator, said person went to KyoAni and perished in the fire, so these feelings are real...

no way if that's true that's loving gut wrenching

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hadn't heard of the personal connection, but yes today is the 2 year anniversary of the arson and the attacker ranting about plagiarism also matches the motive in that case.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

cisneros posted:

I assume there's some business logic behind keeping the print magazine, but I do think they should move failing series to digital-only instead of cancelling them entirely. I guess it would be bad for the brand if the digital-only series were primarily cancelled stuff, so maybe they shouldn't be allowed to continue indefinitely, but they could just give them a few more chapters so they can get a proper ending. I know I've said this before, but even already-bad series like Guardian of the Witch are made worse by their abrupt endings.

Though I guess this only really applies to series that are modest in their plot ambitions like Guardian of the Witch. With something like Demon's Plan there's no point in giving it a few more chapters because the plot that's been set up is so ambitious.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 19, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cisneros posted:

Even digital kills titles on a regular basis. It's less competitive, since there's not a set pagecount to worry about, but if you can't get eyeballs or sell volumes, you still get canned.

Meanwhile, the print magazine is an institution. Over a million and a half copies sell every week, coming to almost 500 million yen spent on Shonen Jump. Every week.

That's over 20 billion yen a year. Now, a chunk of that goes to the stores, or gets eaten in the costs of printing, but it's still a massive amount of money. Enough to factor into any kind of long term plan. Better to keep both Jump and the website running in parallel, from a practical prospective.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You still have to pay the artist for their work, and also there needs to be some sort of content curation or else it will make it hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. Shounen Jump might choose the wrong things to cancel, but that doesn't change the fact that they need to be willing to cancel series.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
They never should have cancelled zombie powder.

As for the current titles they shouldnt cancel anything I read.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sakamoto: Decent filler chapter, no strong feelings.

Candy Flurry: Still totally my poo poo, it appeals to my sense of humor immensely, I want this to do decently.

Elusive Samurai: Great visuals this chapter, the bad guy is very unsettling, lookin' forward to more.

Roboco: Fun chapter.

Mashle: Meh-shle for now.

Red Hood: Not really doing it for me.

Look Back: Shed a few tears, maybe more.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

cisneros posted:

Still working on killing Print Jump by hating it to death for Red Sprite, Love Rush and Stealth Symphony. I think I'm up to random nosebleeds.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 19, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Still working on killing Print Jump by hating it to death for Red Sprite, Love Rush and Stealth Symphony. I think I'm up to random nosebleeds.

I really don't see what anyone got out of Red Sprite. I read through it a while back, and it just felt mediocre at best, with a dull protagonist and an opening going through the motions rather than doing anything exciting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my memory of red sprite is it ran itself into the ground early probably as a result of bad feedback and then the inevitable cancellation, but i'd have to reread i suppose

can agree i didn't see why there was such enthusiasm for it at the time, the cancellation felt natural, and i'm surprised it would hang on with anyone as an example of wrongly cancelled series. real shame that author hasn't been able to get anything to stick though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I really don't see what anyone got out of Red Sprite. I read through it a while back, and it just felt mediocre at best, with a dull protagonist and an opening going through the motions rather than doing anything exciting.

I just want more grappler ship combat

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
now the op from outlaw star is stuck in my head

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ConanThe3rd posted:

I just want more grappler ship combat

Watch Outlaw Star.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It’s a real shame there’s no translation of the outlaw star manga, it seemed really weird and different from the show. Also it’s too bad Angel Links was apparently awful because the universe is interesting. I want more outlaw star in my life.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

dogsicle posted:

well nobody is in here complaining about triangle. somehow many people who stomached mashle for more than 40 chapters are having issues with it now so what better time

I'm probably the only person itt who reads Ayakashi Triangle and does some critical thinking and analysis on it, but if the choice is between AT and Mashle I'll pick Mashle without hesitating. Sorry not sorry.

(I would pick Sakamoto Days and Candy Flurry over both AT and Mashle, just btw.)

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Lily Catts posted:

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Look Back felt like it was at least partially semi-autobiographical, or influenced by real-life events, and the emotions contained in it felt both raw and genuine.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It’s a real shame there’s no translation of the outlaw star manga, it seemed really weird and different from the show. Also it’s too bad Angel Links was apparently awful because the universe is interesting. I want more outlaw star in my life.

Agreed on both.

Fun Fact: Outlaw is actually a far sequel to the authors previous work, Future Hero Retro Story which was a sort of Japanese Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon type of parody(the three wizards from the Hot Spring episodeare from this). The full title of the series is written in the Kanji above the logo "Future Hero Next Generation, Starward Warrior Knight Outlaw Star".

There are some things I enjoyed about this series over Cowboy Bebop mostly in that it had that sort of Space as a frontier type of feel as well as humanity having "made contact" and there being aliens and strange tech and magic and whatnot which some of which while rare wasn't unheard of. The universe was definitely rife for exploration, as well as having a banging rockability soundtrack.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Nero seems fun.

I'm not really feeling Red Hood. It feels so sloppy somehow.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is the conclusion to the tournament arc and the setup for the endgame, I feel like the author may have felt the threat of the axe and once it went away they cut it short so the big bad can get a proper arc to himself, and to let other characters do something.
It's supposedly selling really good so far, so I doubt that.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Roboco: Dont know about anyone else but i feel its starting to run out of steam

Same. It's still generally really good, but you can just feel the Author looking for something new to do.
I feel the same way about Roboco as I do about Magu chan. They don't have to end yet, but if they were to end I'd be okay with it actually. Let them end on their own terms while still being really good.

Speaking of Magu chan: This was a fun arc actually.

Guess I'll sit down and read that one shot later today. :ohdear:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Candy Flurry's really a comedy manga disguised as a shonen and is incredible at the comedy, but I suspect a lot of people are expecting it to have exciting fights and plots and it just doesn't have that so far, so that's why it's ranking so low (assuming the ToC even matches rankings, which, again, disputable).

Sakamoto is incredible. Really needed just a comedy chapter to defuse all the tension from the last few.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Lily Catts posted:

Is there a source on this? Like an interview?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pierson posted:

yeah Neru has kind of a retro charm and vibe to it but Red Hood is actually feeling increasingly more generic chapter-by-chapter now they're introduced the super-special metal everything is made from.

See my earlier post about how Red Hood is definitely doomed to cancelation because it has the same sort of title as many other canceled series.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Candy Flurry's really a comedy manga disguised as a shonen and is incredible at the comedy, but I suspect a lot of people are expecting it to have exciting fights and plots and it just doesn't have that so far, so that's why it's ranking so low (assuming the ToC even matches rankings, which, again, disputable).

Sakamoto is incredible. Really needed just a comedy chapter to defuse all the tension from the last few.

I think a problem for Candy Flurry is that Sakamoto does the comedy+action thing too, and seems way more popular. I hesitate to say Sakamoto does it better - they're definitely two different series with different feelings and styles. However they fill a very similar space, and if one were to be cut I doubt it'd be Sakamoto, unfortunately.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I agree that they're currently occupying the same area.
But I'd say Sakamoto made it abundantly clear right from the start it was a funny battle manga, whereas Candy Flurry started very "serious" with the whole destroyed Tokio and hiding powers for fear of being hunted.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The thing about Candy Flurry is that all of the characters are very dumb, and very cute. Even the bad guys.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think a problem for Candy Flurry is that Sakamoto does the comedy+action thing too, and seems way more popular. I hesitate to say Sakamoto does it better - they're definitely two different series with different feelings and styles. However they fill a very similar space, and if one were to be cut I doubt it'd be Sakamoto, unfortunately.

I think a bigger problem is that Candy Flurry had a bad first chapter, and doesn't have a clear hook or a strong theme to make people try out a later chapter if they dropped out.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

chiasaur11 posted:

I think a bigger problem is that Candy Flurry had a bad first chapter, and doesn't have a clear hook or a strong theme to make people try out a later chapter if they dropped out.

The "mystery" is interesting at least: every sweet (snack? Since we got popcorn) power is supposed to be unique, and yet the protagonist has the same power as the main villain, how come?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Twin sister to be sure.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the candy powers were from eating magic candy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mikl posted:

The "mystery" is interesting at least: every sweet (snack? Since we got popcorn) power is supposed to be unique, and yet the protagonist has the same power as the main villain, how come?

Clearly that's intended to be a hook, but it doesn't completely work because the rule is established at the same time as the apparent violation of it, and the explanation will inevitably be somewhat arbitrary anyway. It almost feels like the author is relying on Jump readers' existing investment in how Devil Fruits in One Piece work.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
If we're looking for explanations, one possibility is that the "lollipop user" can actually use all kinds of sweets and just prefers lollipops.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

If we're looking for explanations, one possibility is that the "lollipop user" can actually use all kinds of sweets and just prefers lollipops.

She’s actually a stick user yeah

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Edens Zero: I can leave or leave the Rebecca torture poker but 1) there was some good Pino faces this chapter and 2) the bit between Homura and Creed was kinda adorable.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I've liked Candy Flurry but this chapter is the first one that really really sold it to me. I loving lost it at this chapter. That villain is hilarious.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Edens Zero: I can leave or leave the Rebecca torture poker but 1) there was some good Pino faces this chapter and 2) the bit between Homura and Creed was kinda adorable.

Same.
I also love Moscoy.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 21, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The villian's actual candy is edibles.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
When the evil version everyone imagines a person to be is not as bad as the real one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Same.
I also love Moscoy.

I knew it was coming in the anime and Him thousand hand slapping himself into the air still killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1418198684379066386?s=19