Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Just entering then leaving the cornhole to say I watched on YouTube his review of the Page/Omega segment from this week and holy poo poo the review is so awful.

All the juvenile nicknames, the unrelenting hate. It was funny that he viewed it as a negative when the crowd chanted "Cowboy poo poo" in support of Adam Page. It would probably be cringe for Adam to say it every week, maybe once a year then leave it to the crowd is great - but not to Cornette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Wazzu posted:

Just entering then leaving the cornhole to say I watched on YouTube his review of the Page/Omega segment from this week and holy poo poo the review is so awful.

All the juvenile nicknames, the unrelenting hate. It was funny that he viewed it as a negative when the crowd chanted "Cowboy poo poo" in support of Adam Page. It would probably be cringe for Adam to say it every week, maybe once a year then leave it to the crowd is great - but not to Cornette.
As far as I know, Adam Page has said it once ever

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Once on Dynamite, once before on BTE. I believe. With both times being constructions of [I am going to do some] cowboty poo poo."

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Wazzu posted:

Why does he think it's bad when the crowd is behind the babyface

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

This is the Cornette thread, but apparently Konnan is expressing doubt on his podcast that Hangman should be the next champion because "the fans may want it, but Hangman doesn't bring any new fans into the product".

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Pylons posted:

This is the Cornette thread, but apparently Konnan is expressing doubt on his podcast that Hangman should be the next champion because "the fans may want it, but Hangman doesn't bring any new fans into the product".

BBT wants Page as the champ so he can hook AEW up with some sweet lawnmower sponsorship money.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pylons posted:

The only way to get over with Konnan is to watch his matches and tell him how much you loved him throwing shoes and poo poo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Pylons posted:

Not going to listen but he put over the original LAX and PnP like nobody's business as well as being the reason the Luchas got into WCW to begin with so I'm gonna assume he just wants Andrade to be in that spot

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess that even the wrestling tropes he likes are bad to him when it's on AEW.

Long-Time Lurker fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 20, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

karmicknight posted:

Once on Dynamite, once before on BTE. I believe. With both times being constructions of [I am going to do some] cowboty poo poo."

He was also experimenting with it earlier than that. Just after AEW was announced he worked an indie show where it seemed like he was taken by surprise with how well it worked. Then he did a promo at the same NY indie show where Private Party were recruited, which was the first time it was really put over.

But it's been literally years now since he last used it as a cornerstone of a promo.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

davidbix posted:

But...he also had the "geez, I should talk about things I enjoy instead" realization a year or so after that. At least for a little while, seemingly until he realized how lucrative he could make it, he really did not want to be the rant guy.

A jim Cornette Podcast where he did only talk about things he liked, and reminisced about the "olden days" and which wrestlers he liked, and the cool stuff they did in ring and out of ring, and anecdotes about the backstage machinations of the various different promotions he has worked for over the last few decades might actually be interesting and/or fun.

Cornette has a remarkable memory for dates and numbers etc. and has been around for a long time so he knows a lot of stories, and probably even quite a few fun ones about cool things he likes.

The problem would be is that instead of it being "old man tells wrestling stories from his past" it would inevitably devolve into Jim angrily yelling about ... something or other, using slurs and then yelling some more.

Which is not cool or fum.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Junpei Hyde posted:

He thought that it was because the fans were bored that the segment was going too long.

Also Cornette thought it was bad that there was a long term story and character arc - Big time faces don't fail or have insecurities, they win all the time and feel amazing. What an idiot.

Oh, and the madness of him complaining that the manager should be dressed stupidly while wrestle should dress "like stars" - presumably he means boring suits for all.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

A jim Cornette Podcast where he did only talk about things he liked, and reminisced about the "olden days" and which wrestlers he liked, and the cool stuff they did in ring and out of ring, and anecdotes about the backstage machinations of the various different promotions he has worked for over the last few decades might actually be interesting and/or fun.

Cornette has a remarkable memory for dates and numbers etc. and has been around for a long time so he knows a lot of stories, and probably even quite a few fun ones about cool things he likes.

The problem would be is that instead of it being "old man tells wrestling stories from his past" it would inevitably devolve into Jim angrily yelling about ... something or other, using slurs and then yelling some more.

He's still a reliable historian, as far as I know he was sober his entire career which was a rarity from his era. But he's still a piece of poo poo and his head exploded somewhere in the mid 90's when he stopped recording history.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

we got the internet who needs that old piece of poo poo

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Can't wait for the reanimated, disembodied head of reliable historian Corny to pass down oral history on how Tony Khan ruined wrestling forever some 20 years from now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This is what his podcast started out as and it was good and informative and his go offs would be limited to Russo on occasion. But there's also a reason he chased away two previous co-hosts.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Wazzu posted:

He thought that it was because the fans were bored that the segment was going too long.

is he an idiot

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RottenK posted:

is he an idiot

In your heart, you already know the answer to this.

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte
The best part of the jce is when he does an ad read for BetterHelp.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

Konnan isn't as much of an rear end in a top hat as Cornette, but they both say poo poo like this with nothing to back it up. How would he know whether or not Hangman brings new fans into wrestling? Not that AEW's never had booking misfires, but at least they do basic market research.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CHIVERS posted:

The best part of the jce is when he does an ad read for BetterHelp.

Has anyone sent any of his stuff to his sponsors? I'm sure he can still shill for fake brain pills but a place that's ostensibly about getting therapy may not want to associate with a clearly unhinged guy like corny.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Can't wait for the reanimated, disembodied head of reliable historian Corny to pass down oral history on how Tony Khan ruined wrestling forever some 20 years from now.

I hope that this happens while we celebrate the *th All In and are calling that PPV, the grandest stage of them all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jim's just firing stuff out of the turd cannon at this point. When you see him blowing up, you should be like "ok grandpa, its time for your prunes."

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Cornette plugging BetterHelp is peak :ironicat:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Vince MechMahon posted:

Has anyone sent any of his stuff to his sponsors? I'm sure he can still shill for fake brain pills but a place that's ostensibly about getting therapy may not want to associate with a clearly unhinged guy like corny.

I doubt the fake therapy company cares

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I doubt the fake therapy company cares

They might not, but they might care about the optics.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

coconono posted:

jim's just firing stuff out of the turd cannon at this point. When you see him blowing up, you should be like "ok grandpa, its time for your prunes."

He’s really shockingly amusingly veered hard into Russo territory, because the only thing cornette can do anymore to get clicks is make controversy. If he can make people mad at him, and they listen to his podcast, he has succeeded.

He’d get super mad if he heard me say that, too. :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

He's still a reliable historian, as far as I know he was sober his entire career which was a rarity from his era. But he's still a piece of poo poo and his head exploded somewhere in the mid 90's when he stopped recording history.

He's making up poo poo quite regularly so he is in fact, not a reliable historian.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

some of the kayfabecommentaries shoots with Jim were pretty much like this, like the ones specifically focusing on pre-90's wrestling. there was a really good one with Lance Storm where they just tell stories about Stampede and western Canada wrestling for like two hours

unfortunately even what good content Cornette has is tainted by decades of him being an unlikable toxic dipshit. that's the problem, he can't really go back at this point

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think the old straight shooting series with Bobby Heenan was really good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mariooncrack posted:

I think the old straight shooting series with Bobby Heenan was really good.

The first two are good the third one with them touring Jim's collection isn't that great.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Jim fantasy booking the invasion angle is unintentionally hilarious and probably one of the best things he’s ever done. I didn’t think it was possible to gently caress up the WCW invasion worse, but Corny gave it his best shot.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Are you talking about that Youshoot video where he just puts down a PPV card of WWE vs. WCW? Because yeah that sucked in an almost endearing kind of way. Cause you know he was trying his best.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
A card of WWF vs. JCP

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
what the people really want

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

actually his invasion plan was 3 hours long and the youtube video everyone talks about only showed the culminations of all the booking. you have to watch the full dvd now if you've ever talked about it

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

He's making up poo poo quite regularly so he is in fact, not a reliable historian.
How much has he made poo poo up in the "Historian Jim" role, though? I don't trust him at all as Shock Jock Jim, but I don't recall him obfuscating much when wearing the historian hat.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 20, 2021

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you're giving Jim Cornette's podcast (a known source of filth and old man yells at clouds bullshit) sponsorship money, you probably know what you're getting.

If Jim wasn't loving with worker's money putting hit pieces on them, it'd be a great comedy podcast. The bits they did with the morbidly obese conman hold up pretty well, aside from the Jim Cornette's illegitimate child bit. That was pretty racist.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cavauro posted:

actually his invasion plan was 3 hours long and the youtube video everyone talks about only showed the culminations of all the booking. you have to watch the full dvd now if you've ever talked about it

I think I may actually have this DVD in the back of a wardrobe somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

How much has he made poo poo up in the "Historian Jim" role, though? I don't trust him at all as Shock Jock Jim, but I don't recall him obfuscating much when wearing the historian hat.

Was he historian Jim or shock jock Jim when he was talking about Samoa Joe not liking to do the entrance dance in TNA?