Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ok yah, this is a good replacement for Legacy of the Duelist. I'm hype.

100% a step up from LOTD
Do wonder where the "character duel only, custom cards, no XYZ, Nno Pendullum, No Fusion, No links" crowd will go if EDOPRO and Dueling Book shut tho

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, this looks wonderful. I'm hoping it has some solid single-player stuff, but honestly, having tutorials at all goes a long way.

I'm hoping there's a good effort at crossplay, though, because that's a lot of platforms. Although I have no idea how easy/hard crossplay is to make happen for a card game rather than, say, a fighter.

hopefully not too hard ik hearthstone had crossplay between mobile and PC iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PNGYAKUZA posted:

100% a step up from LOTD
Do wonder where the "character duel only, custom cards, no XYZ, Nno Pendullum, No Fusion, No links" crowd will go if EDOPRO and Dueling Book shut tho

I wonder if they'll add single player or if it'll be multiplayer only. They've gotta add some type of single to get and earn cards..unless it's the ENTIRE cardpool all at once.

Even if it's just like the fan-made programs where you can duel a bot to test, I'm still down for that and I'm already ready to buy...wonder when it drops.

Oh! Rush Duel will be localized and available outside of Japan in Fall 2021, sweet.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 20, 2021

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder if they'll add single player or if it'll be multiplayer only. They've gotta add some type of single to get and earn cards..unless it's the ENTIRE cardpool all at once.

Even if it's just like the fan-made programs where you can duel a bot to test, I'm still down for that and I'm already ready to buy...wonder when it drops.

Oh! Rush Duel will be localized and available outside of Japan in Fall 2021, sweet.

idk the legacy of the duelist games already have single player,
Probably bot matches tho cause I think Magic arena has those

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PNGYAKUZA posted:

Honestly, if you can change the deck the bot uses too, then that's enough single player for me. I wanna try out decks on my own and sometimes launch into a duel with someone else.

I don't need 50+ versions of the same AI if I can have one good AI that I can customize the decks it uses.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im pretty excited, love legacy of the duelist

ThermoPhysical posted:

Honestly, if you can change the deck the bot uses too, then that's enough single player for me. I wanna try out decks on my own and sometimes launch into a duel with someone else.

I don't need 50+ versions of the same AI if I can have one good AI that I can customize the decks it uses.

You are asking for an impossible dream. Combo decks play very differently from control which play differently from like, old school aggro decks

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PNGYAKUZA posted:

They went out of their way to draw a distinction between Master Duel and Legacy of the Duelist, it's not gonna be like that. I would expect the single player to be along the same lines as the Duel Links single player stuff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That would be nice. Duel Links actually has pretty good single player

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They have said they want the new simulator to be for more competitive games rather than manga anime cosplay like LOTD realistically is.

They have also said it’s going to be used in actual tournaments so it seems to be a real simulator unlike legacy and duel links to a degree.

I say competitive but probably EDOpro competitive not only meta competitive

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

They have said they want the new simulator to be for more competitive games rather than manga anime cosplay like LOTD realistically is.

They have also said it’s going to be used in actual tournaments so it seems to be a real simulator unlike legacy and duel links to a degree.

I say competitive but probably EDOpro competitive not only meta competitive

They've used the old World Championship games in the actual tournaments though so it's not exactly new. They probably would've used Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution in physical tournaments too if they could've last year.

I think LOTD just took over for WC with this taking over for LOTD.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I doubt they would have used it unless they restrict what device you can use as LOTD did not have cross play

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I just picked up LOTD on Steam on sale and anticipating it being a great game when the Steam deck launches. I also used to play Yu-Gi-Oh with my kids way back. I still have my Dark Necrofear deck I won a tourney with, which a coworker just told me would probably get wrecked in today's tournaments. Seems I have some catching up to do. I like fiends and always enjoyed Dark Necrofear. Are there any good decks built on similar style that can stand up against the newer cards and strategies?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's a fair amount of good Fiend decks that could use her, Burning Abyss for example is based around getting them and other useful cards into the graveyard.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Youd get pasted turn 1 with that deck these days. I do have good news: They released a retrain of dark necrofear and supporting cards for it (which also doubles as level 8 fiend support) and as well as general support for Destiny Board.
Its a much different game now.

Seconding the recommendation for Burning Abyss. Theyre pretty solid even now and their core deck conceit is a good one. Effects that trigger on being sent to the Grave.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So they’re adding Pendulums to Duel Links, and they’re just using the existing left and right zones for the scales, which means Pendulum decks will only have one usable S/T zone. I have no idea if this is going to be enough to throttle them, or if they’re going to roll DL like they did standard YGO. My gut says the latter, because there’s nothing stopping them from going into a 3-monster XYZ right after.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pendulums are going to be incredibly crippled unless they give them some absolutely busted skills.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
With how some of the XYZ skills turned out, I can't wait to get stomped by them as they choose their hands or just start with scales set.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/09/yu-gi-oh-master-duel-launches-this-winter

Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel has a Solo Mode and launches on PS4/PS5, Xbox, PC, Switch, iOS, and Android this year in Winter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jehuti posted:

With how some of the XYZ skills turned out, I can't wait to get stomped by them as they choose their hands or just start with scales set.
The best Pendulum-related skills follow the trend of "add X cards, and also if your deck meets requirement Y, add pendulum zones to your side of the field".

For example, Yuya's adds an OEPD and one each of Stargazer/Timegazer Magician to your deck, and adds zones if all your monsters are Performapal, Odd-Eyes, and/or Pendulum Magicians, and it's pretty solid. (Though it helps that Dragonpit and Dragonpulse Magician are the best generic scales in the game right now.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 1, 2021

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I like the normal pendulum monsters that work well with other vanillas and ignisters.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Dino-Mists getting added might be enough to get me to come back to Duel Links

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So an out of nowhere question about everyone's most hated deck: Does anyone have particular favorite spins on Mystic Mine decks? Not even necessarily good ones, I just want to try the deck and want to at least do something weird with it, because I know straight Mystic Mine burn is kinda dull to fight.

I immediately wanted to build a Mystic Mine/Timelords deck, because I find the Timelords kind of hilariously weird, but the fact they were only printed in a single side set in 2017 means that even if the good ones are cheap, they're not the easiest things to find in real life (especially here in Australia where there's not a super thriving market for buying singles).

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
That’s too much effort to use timelord for that. Maybe focus on stuffing their monster zone with Token instead?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Maybe focus on stuffing their monster zone with Token instead?
Then you're gambling on your opponent not having a single Link monster they can make with tokens. And if they can, congrats, you just made them go +5.

Cleretic posted:

So an out of nowhere question about everyone's most hated deck: Does anyone have particular favorite spins on Mystic Mine decks? Not even necessarily good ones, I just want to try the deck and want to at least do something weird with it, because I know straight Mystic Mine burn is kinda dull to fight.
Combine it with Gren Maju beatdown. :pseudo:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://ygorganization.com/wearetrulyprisonersofyugioh/
https://ygorganization.com/fineweatherisinghallelujah/

History Archive Collection is one of the cooler / more interesting side sets they've done in a while. :swoon:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vandar posted:

https://ygorganization.com/wearetrulyprisonersofyugioh/
https://ygorganization.com/fineweatherisinghallelujah/

History Archive Collection is one of the cooler / more interesting side sets they've done in a while. :swoon:

Not only is Duel Academy the first card to mention the Pyro type in apparently ten years, but it's also the only one out of it, Warrior and Beast to have much in the way of a trap-focused archetype.

Finally, after all these years, we have Volcanic support.

None of the premiere cards there are all too jaw-dropping on the competitive side of things, but they pretty much all have the capacity to do some real dumb nonsense on the lower end, it's great to see people theorizing what they can be paired with.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

All of the built-in theming for Duel Academy is really, really neat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://youtu.be/rvSI6x1AAG0

So apparently Konami are aiming to roll out some alternate formats! To summarize the video, there's...

-Time Wizard, allowing for applying the permitted cards and ruleset from older formats (so basically: gently caress yeah, Official Goat Format and Edison Format)
-Heart of the Underdog, specifically being able to rule out using particular meta decks
-Common Charity, for only common cards
-The as-yet-unexplained Rivalry of Warlords format
-And Deck Masters, based on the Virtual World arc.

My main takeaway is: holy poo poo, Deck Masters is gonna be hilarious, and just stupid broken. I imagine we'll be seeing a banlist specifically for that one, but even then, there's some funny goddamn strategies for that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I've wanted Deck Masters in the game for like a decade now but not like this.

I'm just gonna play Last Warrior From Another Planet as my deck master and then forty burn-related spells and traps, g-loving-g.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lots of speculation that they're mostly coming up with these so they can put them in the new video game, like what realistically happened with Duel Links and Speed Duels. (And hey, if it works for MtG...)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah the more I think about it the more I’m certain that Last Warrior burn is unbeatable in Deck Master format outside of a mirror match.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Vandar posted:

Yeah the more I think about it the more I’m certain that Last Warrior burn is unbeatable in Deck Master format outside of a mirror match.

Ah, but my Des Wombat with mill magic and trap cards is here and ready to fight. Don't need to summon my Deck Master for their effect to take place.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Pyroi posted:

Ah, but my Des Wombat with mill magic and trap cards is here and ready to fight. Don't need to summon my Deck Master for their effect to take place.

gently caress

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Okay new plan Last Warrior Exodia let's fuckin' go.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I feel like a way they could fix a theoretical Last Warrior Burn is to make it so that bringing your Deck Master to the field isn't considered any kind of Summon, and so can't be negated or prevented. Then all you'd need to beat him is a Deck Master that can beat over 2250 Attack; either the Last Warrior player hopes he can burn you faster than you can scrap through with direct attacks, or he tries to bring in Last Warrior and loses the battle.

Or just, you know. Ban Last Warrior in that format.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I feel like a way they could fix a theoretical Last Warrior Burn is to make it so that bringing your Deck Master to the field isn't considered any kind of Summon, and so can't be negated or prevented. Then all you'd need to beat him is a Deck Master that can beat over 2250 Attack; either the Last Warrior player hopes he can burn you faster than you can scrap through with direct attacks, or he tries to bring in Last Warrior and loses the battle.

Or just, you know. Ban Last Warrior in that format.

Joke's on you I'm bringing Magic Cylinders and Dimension Walls to stop that kind of nonsense. :smuggo:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cleretic posted:

https://youtu.be/rvSI6x1AAG0

So apparently Konami are aiming to roll out some alternate formats! To summarize the video, there's...

-Time Wizard, allowing for applying the permitted cards and ruleset from older formats (so basically: gently caress yeah, Official Goat Format and Edison Format)
-Heart of the Underdog, specifically being able to rule out using particular meta decks
-Common Charity, for only common cards
-The as-yet-unexplained Rivalry of Warlords format
-And Deck Masters, based on the Virtual World arc.

My main takeaway is: holy poo poo, Deck Masters is gonna be hilarious, and just stupid broken. I imagine we'll be seeing a banlist specifically for that one, but even then, there's some funny goddamn strategies for that.

Common Charity will probably be the most fun of these formats, if mostly because a lot of the things I hate about Modern Yugioh would probably be a lot harder to pull off with a Common only card pool

Rivalry of Warlords could be fun if it's something like "we have a pool of 50 unique preconstructed decks, each player receives one randomly upon entry"(this was an idea I had recently as an alternative to a Cube as a more limited format for the game), which is a concept that at this point might be the best way to tackle the game's power creep, by removing deck customization entirely(or at least heavily restricting it)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Common Charity is going to have its own issues. Gouki have most of their best cards in common and are going to blow most of the rest of the format away.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

drrockso20 posted:

Common Charity will probably be the most fun of these formats, if mostly because a lot of the things I hate about Modern Yugioh would probably be a lot harder to pull off with a Common only card pool

Rivalry of Warlords could be fun if it's something like "we have a pool of 50 unique preconstructed decks, each player receives one randomly upon entry"(this was an idea I had recently as an alternative to a Cube as a more limited format for the game), which is a concept that at this point might be the best way to tackle the game's power creep, by removing deck customization entirely(or at least heavily restricting it)

Common charity feels like it’s going to be Goukis stomping on everything, but maybe I’m just brokebrained from watching progression lately.

Heart of the Underdog sounds interesting too, but I’m sort of interested how that’s really something that can be policed more proactively than a banlist does unless we’re talking like archetype bans.

Time Wizard with potential for cross banlist play would be hilarious just to watch the power creep of a full power TeleDAD deck getting whomped by some flavor of like dragon rulers or Zoos.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

Time Wizard with potential for cross banlist play would be hilarious just to watch the power creep of a full power TeleDAD deck getting whomped by some flavor of like dragon rulers or Zoos.

You should check out Lithium's Cross Banlist Cup series on youtube, he does just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i don't understand why anyone is giving this "leak" so much attention, it seems extremely fake to me. why would konami suddenly start supporting half a dozen alt formats that don't make them money when they could be pushing speed duels or importing rush duels which lets them sell new product? and why would they be doing any sort of promotion of in-person play when the pandemic is as bad as it's ever been?