Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I could think of worse assessment exercises, honestly. Working with people who cannot convey ideas effectively is kind of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
How long does it take you to prepare a slide of content? I always assumed it takes 3 minutes to make 1 minute worth of slide deck, plus some non-trivial overhead to come up with the structure of your talk. That's like an hour and twenty minutes worth of coming up with likable content.

I thought this was a technical job, but maybe it's not and the job isn't for me.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Bossy posted:

How long does it take you to prepare a slide of content? I always assumed it takes 3 minutes to make 1 minute worth of slide deck, plus some non-trivial overhead to come up with the structure of your talk. That's like an hour and twenty minutes worth of coming up with likable content.

I thought this was a technical job, but maybe it's not and the job isn't for me.

is that the only component to the interview? if so, that's kind of a red flag for me. if it's something that let's the whole team see how you communicate in addition to the other, usual stuff then i'd consider it pretty normal

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bossy posted:

Writing styles differ, but I would need about 3 hours to go from a topic to a 20 minute talk. I have a fair amount of experience writing presentations, so if you don't, you may need more time.

I like giving talks as part of a technical interview, and anywhere that I have influence over the interview structure that's going to be part of it. It's important to see how people communicate and interact with a friendly audience.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Depends on the kind of presentation too.

If it’s a presentation for a work meeting, probably 3-4 hours for a 20-30 minute presentation.

If it’s a conference talk, my general rule is one hour of prep per minute of talk.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

It's not the only component to the interview process, but grousing that a 20 minute talk requires a non-trivial amount of prep makes sense, even if that makes me grousey baby.

I just need to carve out 1.5-4 hours between yesterday when I got the request and tomorrow when I meet the panel.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They only gave you a day to prep? They can't be expecting anything polished, I guess. Do you have the option of giving a whiteboard/chalk talk?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also just wanting to point out that the more senior you get the more time you’re going to spend taking about work can actually doing work

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
If I could have done a 20 minute presentation, even on the fly no prep instead of 7 stretched out interviews and 3 months for this job I would be all over that

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
did an interview at my friends corps for a more opsy role than I have now. he seems amazed that I would want to leave my current position for a giant company. probably gonna get owned on the hacker rank python test

also he kept referring to my assistant as a mionion

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is an interesting discussion because in ux world presenting your portfolio is basically a given, 20 minutes would be a snap. I typically have to do 60-90 minutes including one deep dive case study

that said while whiteboard design questions exist they are rare and typically only done by people who don't know what they're doing, I've seen take-homes but they're even more rare and mostly for more junior roles

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

all of my portfolio would be proprietary to the companies i have worked for, and is not public facing

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Finished interviews, and a good company with interesting work wants to hire me. Currently they're discussing my salary requirements, which is a stretch for the position but a hard stop for me.

The recruiter knew I was outside of their target range for the position, but held off telling them until after the team met me and all gave me the green light, lol. Never say a number first.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

ultrafilter posted:

Writing styles differ, but I would need about 3 hours to go from a topic to a 20 minute talk.

kitten smoothie posted:

If it’s a presentation for a work meeting, probably 3-4 hours for a 20-30 minute presentation.

If it’s a conference talk, my general rule is one hour of prep per minute of talk.

RokosCockatrice posted:

I just need to carve out 1.5-4 hours between yesterday when I got the request and tomorrow when I meet the panel.

:yikes:
i would prefer the take home

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
smoked both my interviews this morning hell ya

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

barkbell posted:

:yosnice:

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

barkbell posted:

I read this as "Smoked during both my interviews this morning" and was thinking, "Well, I guess that's an option now with remote interviews, but I wonder how it would come off".

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

cheque_some posted:

I read this as "Smoked during both my interviews this morning" and was thinking, "Well, I guess that's an option now with remote interviews, but I wonder how it would come off".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJSGgieTxU&t=44s

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cheque_some posted:

try w both weed and tobacco

or like linearize and do it w spliffs

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

cheque_some posted:

tbh I have known some folks with interviewing power that would unironically consider smoking weed during the interview a positive in a candidate

do not take this as advice to smoke weed during your interview

but if you do, record it and post it, sounds hilarious

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i took the day off since i was interviewing all morning and had some beers to celebrate doing well over lunch. ended up getting a call from hr about one of the positions and i may have drunkenly demanded a shitload of money. will make a trip report on how this shakes out.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we got a way to get touchers to actually ask for a deec number of figgies here holy poo poo

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
On that note heres what you should make in for a SW engineer by level and area. This assumes that the levels are 1-6 with 6 being a high technical expert. I only posted 1-5. This is for all company sizes. Generally, Seed/Aeries A round startups will be on the lower side and mega corps will be on the lower side except for the FAANGs.

Heres SF/NYC:
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th
Software Engineering	1	$91k	$110k	$127k
Software Engineering	2	$130k	$150k	$170k
Software Engineering	3	$150k	$170k	$200k
Software Engineering	4	$162k	$180k	$205k
Software Engineering	5	$190k	$200k	$223k
Heres a major hub city like Austin, Denver, DC
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th	Average
Software Engineering	1	$85k	$105k	$115k	$98k
Software Engineering	2	$113k	$130k	$150k	$132k
Software Engineering	3	$128k	$142k	$155k	$148k
Software Engineering	4	$147k	$162k	$180k	$163k
Software Engineering	5	$173k	$194k	$210k	$190k
Here's other cities that arent significant tech ones, but still cities.
code:
Software Engineering	1	$73k	$90k	$106k	$91k
Software Engineering	2	$106k	$131k	$155k	$131k
Software Engineering	3	$125k	$140k	$165k	$146k
Software Engineering	4	$140k	$160k	$180k	$161k
Software Engineering	5	$175k	$198k	$215k	$194k
Software Engineering	6	$180k	$211k	$240k	$206k

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
got an offer, it comes with 20k shares of stock but i dont think the company is public. thats just monopoly money right

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it is until it isn’t

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

barkbell posted:

got an offer, it comes with 20k shares of stock but i dont think the company is public. thats just monopoly money right

It's worth nothing unless they get bought or go public.1

If they're a startup at a Series B or later round of funding they've basically committed to going public.

1 I recall there were some fin tech companies that would allow trade of private company stock in some private companies but I don't recall the details.

EDIT2: FWIW I know at least a few people who joined a startup post Series A|B and they ended up getting a few years salary around IPO time. And I know ~100 who did not get cash out of their stock.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 20, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

barkbell posted:

it's monopoly money, yes. DO NOT accept it in lieu of increased pay if that's what you asked for

CarForumPoster posted:

EDIT2: FWIW I know at least a few people who joined a startup post Series A|B and they ended up getting a few years salary around IPO time. And I know ~100 who did not get cash out of their stock.

i technically got cash out of mine

they wrote us a check worth roughly one paycheck as long as we signed a dotted line saying we wouldn't hold them legally responsible for driving the company into the side of a mountain

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
how do i figure out how much that stock is, do i ask what the %age equity it is equivalent to?

they arent series anything i dont think, sorry im dumb how do i figure this poo poo out lmao

e: oh this is an option to purchase 20k shares wtf

barkbell fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 20, 2021

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
to figure that out you need to see something called a cap table. you can try asking to see it. they will probably say no.

also in these situations it's pretty typical for it to be an option. that part is actually ok. if the shares end up being worth something, you exercise the option, if not you don't. since you have no idea whether they will end up being worth something, your expected value with the information you currently have should be $0

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
id need to know the strike price right or does it not even matter

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Strike price should be part of the option grant. That’s how much you’d pay to exercise the option. It doesn’t matter too much because right now it is probably very low, compared to the value they are trying to convince you those shares will have someday. If that never materializes, you don’t exercise the option. If it does, and you don’t have enough money to exercise the options that will immediately thereafter make you rich, well then this is a problem that the financial industry has solutions for

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

barkbell posted:

how do i figure out how much that stock is, do i ask what the %age equity it is equivalent to?

they arent series anything i dont think, sorry im dumb how do i figure this poo poo out lmao

For tax reasons you definitely want options and not shares, lest you end up paying taxes on stock you can never sell. You likely shouldnt be asking to see their captable, especially if this is not a tiny startup. You do not need to know what % of the company you own if the company is decently large.

It sounds like this is a regular private company and not a startup. Without knowing the name of the company we can't give you useful advice because the differences in reasons for compensating you in stock and who you can sell that equity to can be stark and limited by regulations. The answer of "treat it like monopoly money" is an okay answer for 90% of situations and a pretty bad answer for the other 10%. Here's more on selling private company stock if they're not likely going public: https://carta.com/blog/selling-private-company-stock/

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

he said they're not series anything so i assumed early stage startup with seed financing. then again he also said there was hr so idk conflicting signals here

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

barkbell posted:

had a startup hang up on me in the pre-technical interview with the hiring manager b/c they gave me a low-ball laughable number said i'd get stock and also "we're looking for people not in it for the money"

and i was all "well if you're not in it for the money then the ceo is cool with giving me some of his pay then?" and they did not like that one bit it seems

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

barkbell posted:

they're worth zero. zero dollars. that is what they're worth. at one point if you're the one in a hundred who strike it :airquote: rich :airquote: the company will successfully IPO and you'll most likely come out with enough money to buy yourself a really nice car. if you're REALLY lucky you'll be able to pay off your mortgage. go another order of magnitude and you've pulled in a couple of million but at this point we're at literal lottery ticket chances for success

the strike price doesn't mean anything until you want to buy them. you don't want to buy them because they're worth zero dollars. there is a very very slim chance they'll be worth more than the strike price at some point. that's when you can buy them and turn around and sell them for a profit. this will almost definitely not happen

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

On that note heres what you should make in for a SW engineer by level and area. This assumes that the levels are 1-6 with 6 being a high technical expert. I only posted 1-5. This is for all company sizes. Generally, Seed/Aeries A round startups will be on the lower side and mega corps will be on the lower side except for the FAANGs.

Heres SF/NYC:
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th
Software Engineering	1	$91k	$110k	$127k
Software Engineering	2	$130k	$150k	$170k
Software Engineering	3	$150k	$170k	$200k
Software Engineering	4	$162k	$180k	$205k
Software Engineering	5	$190k	$200k	$223k
Heres a major hub city like Austin, Denver, DC
code:
Software Engineering	1	$85k	$105k	$115k	$98k
Software Engineering	2	$113k	$130k	$150k	$132k
Software Engineering	3	$128k	$142k	$155k	$148k
Software Engineering	4	$147k	$162k	$180k	$163k
Software Engineering	5	$173k	$194k	$210k	$190k
Here's other cities that arent significant tech ones, but still cities.
code:
Software Engineering	1	$73k	$90k	$106k	$91k
Software Engineering	2	$106k	$131k	$155k	$131k
Software Engineering	3	$125k	$140k	$165k	$146k
Software Engineering	4	$140k	$160k	$180k	$161k
Software Engineering	5	$175k	$198k	$215k	$194k
Software Engineering	6	$180k	$211k	$240k	$206k

these are deec numbers for cash portion, w/o equity at all

equity can get to like, half in tech major land

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

take it from me, seriously. we had multiple series of fundraising where at the end we were getting the Serious Business banks involved. they gave us a unicorn valuation. we had our talons in the federal government with critical infrastructure along with banks, state governments, insurance companies of all stripes, the works. there was no loving WAY we couldn't turn this into a goldmine

i got $2.5k out of it

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
its a private company, less than a decade old and profitable since its founding year. ~150 headcount hq in denver. offer is 125k base, 10% bonus, 20k shares, unlimited pto, remote work. i have about 1.5yoe. i feel like the offer is good overall, im just trying to figure out the right questions to ask about the shares. ty for the article about selling private stock

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

is there any profit sharing associated with the shares? like do they pay you some dividend? in that case it's worth money. but if the private company doesn't go public and isn't large enough to have a secondary market, yeah you probably can't sell them except maybe back to the company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If it's a private company that's just quietly profitable and the owner has no intention of taking it public, then the relevant question as far as how valuable the shares is really "what does owning the shares actually get you".

- Can you have a meaningful vote on shareholder resolutions? I'm going to guess not, and the actual owner is maintaining operational control, so this is worth nothing.
- Can you get paid for your shares when the company is eventually sold? Probably yes, but if the owners aren't intending on taking it public or accepting a buyout any time soon then the value of this is likely close enough to zero that you can ignore it.
- Can you sit back and quietly collect dividends, like it was a non-growth public stock? If so, then maybe it does have some value, but that will depend on what the actual payouts are.

I will say that "less than a decade old" doesn't tell us much - it's a massive range. A 2-year-old company and an 8-year-old company have almost nothing in common.