Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

December 2021 gang gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cabbages and Kings posted:

convincing people that $300 and 25 sq ft of dedicated space for VR is not a horrible insurmountable obstacle for a demographic of people that read a gaming forum thread about totally superfluous devices that cost hundreds of dollars

in the specific context of talking about using said superfluous device to power said VR headset to maybe provide a better framerate, based on hypothetical performance numbers specc'd from various press releases

lol I forgot that it was my post that started all this

I don't even have a vr headset

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Date issued: Jul 16, 2021 @ 10:00am PDT

For the 512 GB model and sitting at Q1 :(

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

512 gb and Q2 for me. Oh well, guess I'll just enjoy my switch until then.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

repiv posted:

The Deck got a stealth spec bump

ram go faster

Unironically interested to see how this fucker will run Dwarf Fortress.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

lol I forgot that it was my post that started all this

I don't even have a vr headset

I'm gonna tell the mods that this thread is ONLY for apartment posting and we can spin off the other content somewhere else.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm kind of wishing I had pre-ordered the 512 rather than the 256, but it's entirely because Total War: Warhammer 2 is very large and so it would basically be the only game I could install on the thing. But also trying to play on a screen that size probably wouldn't be great anyway. Oh well!

I haven't been this excited for hardware in a long time, probably since the Switch was announced. Brigador on the go will be cool. Two Worlds on the go will be perfect, I can seek out taint at work. I'm having fun looking up games in my library on ProtonDB to see what I should mess with. I have a very large backlog.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

PinheadSlim posted:

Unironically interested to see how this fucker will run Dwarf Fortress.

Hm, I doubt the Steam release is going to hit before Deck release.
FWIW, DF has always run nicer on my Linux workstation than it ever did when it ran Windows. Don't ask me why and it may well be imagination, because I can't really find a good reason since it's mostly entirely CPU bound.

Except load times. Those were always better because DF uses lots of little files, and everything that uses lots of small files loads much, much faster on Linux. (Same for other games, like anything using the Clausewitz engine, KSP, some software (GIMP)…)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Antigravitas posted:

Hm, I doubt the Steam release is going to hit before Deck release.
FWIW, DF has always run nicer on my Linux workstation than it ever did when it ran Windows. Don't ask me why and it may well be imagination, because I can't really find a good reason since it's mostly entirely CPU bound.

Except load times. Those were always better because DF uses lots of little files, and everything that uses lots of small files loads much, much faster on Linux. (Same for other games, like anything using the Clausewitz engine, KSP, some software (GIMP)…)

Yeah it's interesting, portable Dwarf Fortress with decent FPS has always been out of my reach. I've heard RAM speed has a lot to do with DF FPS so hopefully this sweet rear end RAM upgrade I quoted means I'll finally have a portable DF console. Steam release or otherwise.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

DF slows down primarily because of path finding and that involves lots of copying from/to RAM since the working set doesn't fit in cache. So yes, fast RAM should hopefully help.

But it's still a device with a 15-20W power envelope and no physical keyboard.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The fast RAM is mostly for the iGPU's benefit. Modern graphics cards are designed with ridiculously fast GDDR6 (or GDDR6X in the 30 series' case). However, single-chip SoCs not only have to share memory between the CPU and GPU, but the GPU has to use regular system memory for VRAM which is several times slower than your typical graphics card's memory. It's easily the biggest bottleneck for AMD's faster APUs in games. The LPDDR5 in Steam Deck's configuration is meant to act as a power efficient way to get somewhat close to GDDR6 levels of performance. It's hard to tell how fast it will be exactly, but it's definitely going to be faster than your current desktop PC's memory, which is great.

For the record, both the Series consoles and the PS5 just use GDDR6 for their system memory to sidestep this issue (though the Series S has a slow memory bus, which comically gives it worse memory bandwidth than the One X's GDDR5)

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the US is huge and cheap, if you get out of the desirable cities where most people want to live!!

I never, ever thought I'd live rurally, but I had a 2 month work stint in a tiny town and ended up moving there.

The only problem with this planet is the people.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The fast RAM is mostly for the iGPU's benefit. Modern graphics cards are designed with ridiculously fast GDDR6 (or GDDR6X in the 30 series' case). However, single-chip SoCs not only have to share memory between the CPU and GPU, but the GPU has to use regular system memory for VRAM which is several times slower than your typical graphics card's memory. It's easily the biggest bottleneck for AMD's faster APUs in games. The LPDDR5 in Steam Deck's configuration is meant to act as a power efficient way to get somewhat close to GDDR6 levels of performance. It's hard to tell how fast it will be exactly, but it's definitely going to be faster than your current desktop PC's memory, which is great.

For the record, both the Series consoles and the PS5 just use GDDR6 for their system memory to sidestep this issue (though the Series S has a slow memory bus, which comically gives it worse memory bandwidth than the One X's GDDR5)

If I'm interpreting the spec sheet correctly the Deck has 44GB/sec per module, and (LP)DDR5 has two channels per module, so the quad channel config is two modules at 88GB/sec total

That's a lot for non-graphics memory but still on the low side compared to GDDR, the closest comparison would be something like a GTX1050

The Switch only has 25.6GB/sec memory so it's running circles around that at least

repiv fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 20, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I assume local multiplayer with extra controllers would work just fine, right? You hook this up to a tv, get your 8bitdo or whatever controllers connected and you can play Castle Crashes, Spelunky, Monaco, BroForce, etc together right?

I mean, I don't know why that wouldn't work, just looking for confirmation.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I assume local multiplayer with extra controllers would work just fine, right? You hook this up to a tv, get your 8bitdo or whatever controllers connected and you can play Castle Crashes, Spelunky, Monaco, BroForce, etc together right?

I mean, I don't know why that wouldn't work, just looking for confirmation.

One of the images on the Steam Deck website is of two people playing Guilty Gear, each with a wired fight stick. It will work!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Geo Fixer posted:

512 gb and Q2 for me. Oh well, guess I'll just enjoy my switch until then.
I'm Q2 too, and my ridiculous disappointing reaction is "well, I guess I'll just have to play the OLED Switch for a while instead."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zerot posted:

One of the images on the Steam Deck website is of two people playing Guilty Gear, each with a wired fight stick. It will work!

Ah, beautiful. I definitely want this to be, for all purposes, "the Switch, except my Steam library".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure that's what Valve wants it to be too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Shuka posted:

I never, ever thought I'd live rurally, but I had a 2 month work stint in a tiny town and ended up moving there.

I was lucky to have a grandma who saved a ton of money, which my dad inherited, and then had a decent house bought for cheap in my small hometown where I work. This place has an add-on living room that's like, a bit over half the size of the rest of the house. I can fit my TV and couch next to my computer and desk, with a 6x8 big open space for VR. The rest of the house is comparatively tiny, and it doesn't have a basement but it was cheap. Headset was bought with my tax refund.

And my Steam Deck will likewise probably be bought with my tax refund. I'm planning on probably selling my Switch once the Deck is up for purchase, like right now the only reason I'm keeping the Switch is for first-party Nintendo titles and also to play games I already own on Steam portably. The Deck will take care of the latter, as for the former? I dunno, I can live without the handful of Switch exclusives I'd want to still play. But we'll see how I feel in Q2 '22.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I got my reservation in seven minutes after they opened and I’m at a Q1 2022 delivery. I really have to wonder how many people managed to get in for a December 2020 one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pirate Jet posted:

I got my reservation in seven minutes after they opened and I’m at a Q1 2022 delivery. I really have to wonder how many people managed to get in for a December 2020 one.
It's probably all for the best if we're in the Q1 spot just in case there are any major flaws that people find after their first deliveries. Hopefully I won't have to pay until that first round of shipments is completed and video reviews are available.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Since SteamOS is the other half of this handheld equation how is it right now? If you threw it on a machine would it play a majority of games without any problems?

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

I'll let ya'll know how it is.

Also this text is new. at first i had no text at all when i made the reservation. So ya'll might wanna check if you're in the same boat.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

BexGu posted:

Since SteamOS is the other half of this handheld equation how is it right now? If you threw it on a machine would it play a majority of games without any problems?

https://www.protondb.com/

Looks like just about anything most people would want to play is running fine

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BexGu posted:

No part of what SteamOS or Proton is currently is what they're claiming runs on the Steam Deck, is the weird thing. Current SteamOS is fine but kinda sucks as a Linux distro, its out of date and bloated. Most people are using Proton on their own Linux installs and well compatability is alright but its firmly in the "surprisingly good for Linux" kind of alright. Its not currently something that you can use without making some kind of compromise though.

They say that it uses a brand new SteamOS distro that's based on Arch instead of Debian, and supposedly a version of Proton with way better compatibility but, are they not going to test this poo poo publicly before the Steam Deck comes out? idk

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I'm kind of wishing I had pre-ordered the 512 rather than the 256, but it's entirely because Total War: Warhammer 2 is very large and so it would basically be the only game I could install on the thing. But also trying to play on a screen that size probably wouldn't be great anyway. Oh well!

I haven't been this excited for hardware in a long time, probably since the Switch was announced. Brigador on the go will be cool. Two Worlds on the go will be perfect, I can seek out taint at work. I'm having fun looking up games in my library on ProtonDB to see what I should mess with. I have a very large backlog.

The fact that it isn’t called Total Warhammer makes me SO MAD

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

homeless snail posted:

No part of what SteamOS or Proton is currently is what they're claiming runs on the Steam Deck, is the weird thing. Current SteamOS is fine but kinda sucks as a Linux distro, its out of date and bloated. Most people are using Proton on their own Linux installs and well compatability is alright but its firmly in the "surprisingly good for Linux" kind of alright. Its not currently something that you can use without making some kind of compromise though.

They say that it uses a brand new SteamOS distro that's based on Arch instead of Debian, and supposedly a version of Proton with way better compatibility but, are they not going to test this poo poo publicly before the Steam Deck comes out? idk

I doubt there is any version of Proton other than what they’re shipping now or that’s in their GitHub repository.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

I doubt there is any version of Proton other than what they’re shipping now or that’s in their GitHub repository.
Well then they're lying about what Proton can actually do

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BexGu posted:

The current version of SteamOS you can actually go and download is quite old, the one that will ship with the Deck is completely rebuilt.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

homeless snail posted:

No part of what SteamOS or Proton is currently is what they're claiming runs on the Steam Deck, is the weird thing.
It's not necessarily that weird. It's easier for them to target the Deck's version of Proton to the Deck's hardware--specifically the AMD video drivers--then it is to resolve compatibility issues across the board with all Linux-supported GPUs.

homeless snail posted:

are they not going to test this poo poo publicly before the Steam Deck comes out? idk
It wouldn't be equivalent because there's no Deck units in the wild for people to test with.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ETA PRIME tried to tweak an AMD APU system to approximate the performance of the Steam Deck and see how it performs at 720p

It's not a perfect match as this APU has older Vega graphics instead of RDNA2 but he boosted the clock a bit to compensate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bfQl4XXlH0&t=323s

Seems respectable in any case

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The current version of SteamOS you can actually go and download is quite old, the one that will ship with the Deck is completely rebuilt.

I'm kind of shocked there hasn't been a preview/tech demo of the new SteamOS then but maybe later? I would throw that poo poo out into the wild and see what kind of bugs/problems people find to fix before Dec.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not necessarily that weird. It's easier for them to target the Deck's version of Proton to the Deck's hardware--specifically the AMD video drivers--then it is to resolve compatibility issues across the board with all Linux-supported GPUs.

It wouldn't be equivalent because there's no Deck units in the wild for people to test with.
You're not wrong but, there are things in there that are probably worthwhile to test beyond the stuff thats specific to the Deck, especially if they're secretly improving Proton compatibility. Plus, its allegedly an open source program idk, throw your linux users a bone, its very weird to withhold it and make a big release day thing out of it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I wonder if the new bits of Proton to enable anti-cheat support are tied up in NDAs and they need to separate that stuff out before doing the source code drop

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

homeless snail posted:

You're not wrong but, there are things in there that are probably worthwhile to test beyond the stuff thats specific to the Deck, especially if they're secretly improving Proton compatibility. Plus, its allegedly an open source program idk, throw your linux users a bone, its very weird to withhold it and make a big release day thing out of it

I'd say the more likely thing is it's just not ready and they don't want to put it out and take the wind out of the current hype.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's almost half a year out. Considering the type of project, they'll probably be working heavily on it on release day…

That said, I'd expect the Proton experimental branch to be updated before release of the Deck. They'd be insane not to considering the audience that runs it, i.e. people who use Linux workstations for work and can't be arsed to reboot into another OS just to play games…

e:

Gutcruncher posted:

The fact that it isn’t called Total Warhammer makes me SO MAD

If I remember correctly Feral's port of TW2 uses "TotalWarhammer" as its executable :v:

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 20, 2021

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Antigravitas posted:

They'd be insane not to considering the audience that runs it, i.e. people who use Linux workstations for work and can't be arsed to reboot into another OS just to play games…
Err what makes you think Linux users have another OS?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Wdym? I have a GNU Hurd dual boot as well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I don't give a poo poo about Linux at all, just let me play the games - me and a vast majority of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's the year of Linux on the handheld :woop: