Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status/1417305977796317187

Sounds more like one of those 'disclaimers' they started having to sprinkle in once Dominion got in their business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1417328274234040320?s=21

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Anyone doing Bezoz-launch-watch?

I contemplated it, but i want to leave work early and can't really be arsed

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm watching a stream right now. Kinda want to see if it blows up...

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
If it blows up on the pad the conspiracy theories will make eastern seem like a sideshow

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

No. I don't care about Jeff Bezos other than knowing that he's a parasite that's helping destroy the world.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There's an old Cold War era joke, of that grouping of underground political humor that was quietly shared in the Soviet Union among people that you trusted not to report you over it:

Two Ukrainian shepherds are tending their flocks on adjacent hills. One calls over to the other: "Stepan! Stepan! Did you hear? The Russians have gone to space!"

The other takes a moment to answer, but then calls back: "What, all of them?"

"No! Just the one!"

"Then why are you bothering me?"

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Bezos has survived. That is all.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1417476233529593870

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Flikken posted:

If it blows up on the pad the conspiracy theories will make eastern seem like a sideshow

Eastern?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Billionaires going to "space" is a sideshow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Seems unfair to real freaks

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Epstein.

My autocorrect got me

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

Seems unfair to real freaks

There are more bearded women than billionaires.

Freaks deserve a break. Billionaires need to start doing stupider, riskier poo poo.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Remembering the simpler time when John Stewart would then show a clip of Hannity directly contridicting himself and we thought pointing out the hypocrisy mattered.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This is the most rage inducing article I’ve read since like yesterday at least.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/07/18/idaho-housing-market/

quote:

The Boise area had an average of 25 active buyers for each available house, many of whom were investors who offered to pay above asking price with all cash, which meant hundreds of first-time buyers had spent months trying and failing to find a home. Their standard offers now typically included a personal note written to the seller.

“Here’s a picture my 5-year-old drew of our family in your beautiful backyard,” wrote one first-time buyer, as part of an offer on a two-bedroom home in April.

“I’m an Army veteran and a fifth generation Idahoan,” wrote another first-time buyer. “My salary’s stayed the same for the last five years while housing prices tripled. I’m worried I’ll have to leave this state I love.”

“This is our 23rd offer, but now we’re convinced that God is at work, because seeing your home convinced us that the other 22 were not right for us.”

“Please, no more love letters,” one agent had written in her listing. “All offers will be considered. This is strictly a financial transaction.”

quote:

Carl and Vickie Foster had retired from their CPA business in Portland, Ore., moved to Idaho for its beauty and affordability in 2014, and begun buying real estate close to wherever their children and grandchildren lived. During the pandemic, they’d seen their equity grow each month, and they’d used some of that new wealth to buy more homes. They’d sold a house in Arizona and then used the proceeds to purchase two more houses. They’d sold another and bought two more, sold and bought more, until finally they’d accumulated 21 houses across six states. They owned farms in Oregon, suburban houses in Idaho, and a 17th story penthouse in downtown Minneapolis. They’d bought half a dozen properties since the pandemic began, and now they hoped to buy at least one more before the end of the weekend.

And to think that the boomer scum who own 21 houses in six states are at the milder end of the spectrum when compared to the investment firms that are gobbling up real estate left and right to rent back to people at exorbitant rates. I think the cowards at the Post left the comments off on this one because they knew that people would probably use the platform to storm Jeff Bezos’ house while he’s off on his special little space adventure.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The more into local (blue city) politics I get the more I realize that basically all local politics comes down to homeowners v everyone else, and homeowners almost always win. Everyone is willing to trade their kids not being able to live locally in exchange for becoming millionaires.

People love to talk about their city "dying" when homelessness spikes or a new apartment complex gets built, but no one seems to mind when kids disappear from the playgrounds and schools close over a generation.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This is the most rage inducing article I’ve read since like yesterday at least.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/07/18/idaho-housing-market/

And to think that the boomer scum who own 21 houses in six states are at the milder end of the spectrum when compared to the investment firms that are gobbling up real estate left and right to rent back to people at exorbitant rates. I think the cowards at the Post left the comments off on this one because they knew that people would probably use the platform to storm Jeff Bezos’ house while he’s off on his special little space adventure.

Oh yeah the Post is bad about that. Bezos could have set up the Post as an independent entity and given them plenty of cash if he really felt like advancing journalism but he chose to own them instead. I don't care if they claim they have editorial independence, it's like how the Elon Musk Press probably wouldn't run investigative journalism into Tesla plant conditions. At least Bloomberg was open about how his news agencies would be used to support his presidential run.

Wow that boomer hording houses is bad. A friend's dad was up to four houses including three in Seattle but in his defense one was in the process of being sold and another was inherited then sold, so he's down to two. I guess that's still not great.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Eh, owning two houses isn't exactly the problem here, nor is it in any way the cause of the problems we're having.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Eh, owning two houses isn't exactly the problem here, nor is it in any way the cause of the problems we're having.

Its a slight problem, but its not the root issue, which is bank owned houses being empty and investment firms buying up empty houses to keep as investments/rentals.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

Two house owner spotted.

edit: IMO anyone owning more than one house is a problem, yes memaw with a rental property isn't as big of a problem as big bank co owning hundreds of properties, but the problem is "permanent housing is unaffordable" not "banks own more rental properties than individual citizens own rental properties"

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 20, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's the same market incentive at work at any scale - real estate is high returns on investment

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
god motherfuck poo poo piss oval office rear end

Tom Brady made me laugh :mad:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1417514319978274819?s=19

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Huh a human moment where I didn’t feel abjectly embarrassed for us as a nation with our current president.

Biden still bad though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/1417515911884546052?s=20

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

god motherfuck poo poo piss oval office rear end

Tom Brady made me laugh :mad:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1417514319978274819?s=19

Dang that is a good line. This isn't gonna be Brady's last trip is it :negative:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Best Friends posted:

The more into local (blue city) politics I get the more I realize that basically all local politics comes down to homeowners v everyone else, and homeowners almost always win. Everyone is willing to trade their kids not being able to live locally in exchange for becoming millionaires.

People love to talk about their city "dying" when homelessness spikes or a new apartment complex gets built, but no one seems to mind when kids disappear from the playgrounds and schools close over a generation.

Vote down every education tax then wonder why families aren't willing to move in

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Best Friends posted:

It's the same market incentive at work at any scale - real estate is high returns on investment
The only reason it is this, though, is because our cities empower and protect local property-owning misanthropes who shoot down any and all new housing. If the state simply erected thousands and thousands of quality homes where people most want to live, prices would plummet as all the existing sellers couldn't gouge buyers the way they can now. Hell, as much as I want it to be all public housing, given that's just not possible from a political perspective on the scale we need right now, I'm fine with letting private developers scramble all over one another to try to build the most homes.

The whole "vacant homes!" argument is largely a red herring. Sure, apply a vacancy tax in high demand areas, but the majority of vacancies across the country are either not anywhere folks want to live or just short-term in-between buyers/leasers.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah the answer is social housing and lots of it imo. But local politics in my ultra liberal city are still in the throes of a multi year scorched Earth backlash against anyone who tried to slightly increase taxes on businesses. If you're on the left is v hard to feel even remotely hopeful about anything. Liberals who will lecture at length on intersectionality gleefully vote to bulldoze homeless encampments and put more cops in majority minority schools.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Who says bipartisanship can't be achieved

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Tax non-owner occupied housing at a rate that actually discourages hoarding houses like they are a prize.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's amazing how the American decision to make real estate a family's retirement plan completely radicalized white america against any social progress.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's amazing how the American decision to make real estate a family's retirement plan completely radicalized white america against any social progress.

"Manifest destiny" and it's usefulness as a propaganda campaign to commit genocide against the people of this continent would like a word.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Being a racist psycho is hardwired in to every white brain deep down somewhere

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

Being a racist psycho is hardwired in to every white brain deep down somewhere

I don’t think it’s hardwire, but I think from birth white people are subtlety (or not so subtlety with chuds these days) taught that while people are somehow superior to other races.

I’ve been typing and deleting my attempt at explaining how my history classes in high school made white people the heroes of slavery ending without any help from black people, which is pretty loving white supremacist.

I don’t think white babies are racist, but I think they are poisoned from the get-go by society.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well, this could be fun!

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1417553154825146369

I wasn't tracking anything on this dipshit, other than he was one of the many Trump-orbit dipshits.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Well, this could be fun!

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1417553154825146369

I wasn't tracking anything on this dipshit, other than he was one of the many Trump-orbit dipshits.

He is the real estate dude right?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Best Friends posted:

Its actually not a great return on investment but the government has shown time and time again that they will bail out homeowners so its a remarkably secure investment that responds to market forces with government assistance.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 20, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Real estate is a great investment if you have a bunch of money.*

Nobody in gip probably has enough for it to be worth it beyond maybe a single rental house.

*and no compassion for people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bengy81 posted:

He is the real estate dude right?

Yep, and an undeclared foreign agent of the UAE!

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1417557763106947075