Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Deakul posted:

Wasn't that 2001 E3 demo apparently 100% scripted and not even really playable?

It was but apparently by 2003 the game was nearly finished or at least mostly playable start to finish and then Broussard made them switch to a new lighting engine (because he was obsessed with stencil shadows) which broke it and they had to start over.

There was an effort post in this thread way back when, but TLDR this nearly finished 2003 build is in Gearbox's hands but Randy refuses to release it despite pressure from the original 3D Realms devs to let the community finish it.

*EDIT*

This thread has some information about it

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/have-any-of-the-builds-of-duke-nukem-forever-ever-leaked.120567/

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the 2001 DNF build is like in my top 3 for "mythical almost-done games that need to see the light of day". The other two being the "completed" build of Prey 2 that was alluded to by Jason Blair, and the Rouge Squadron Trilogy for Wii that apparently was basically done but cancelled because LucasArts wouldn't back it and Factor5 couldn't find a publisher. Though given that Disney now owns the license I doubt we'll ever see it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Duke Forever fan-made mod that fans put together in the build engine is pretty drat great. I know its not exactly what you're looking for, but its a fantastic recreation of what we all imagine could have been.

Amazing how many IPs just languish out in the ether, Duke included.

I mean, not all IPs should be 'permanent IPs' with eternal sequels. That's effort that isn't expended into good new IPs.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I mean... sure? I'm not exactly looking for a TekWar sequel, but I'd love to see more Shadow Warrior-type stuff.

I read Jason Schrier's two books about the gaming industry and one of the biggest things I've learned is how much E3 Demos are totally bullshit. They're almost always built entirely separate from actual development, with most of those resources and work never leading to anything in the final product.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Duke Forever fan-made mod that fans put together in the build engine is pretty drat great. I know its not exactly what you're looking for, but its a fantastic recreation of what we all imagine could have been.

Amazing how many IPs just languish out in the ether, Duke included.

The goldeneye leak is a) impressive b) 99% finished and 110% playable and c) incredibly easy to install and enjoy.

d) has a fan patch that finishes a load of unfinished pieces available here http://n64vault.com/ge-xbla-tools:community-edition-updater

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lord of the Clans got leaked in a playable and completable state I believe.

My white whale would be Sam and Max: Freelance Police which Lucasarts abandoned in a nearly completed state shortly before release because management up and decided that no one liked adventure games anymore. As they fell into a spiral of bad decisions they never really recovered from.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Lord of the Clans got leaked in a playable and completable state I believe.

My white whale would be Sam and Max: Freelance Police which Lucasarts abandoned in a nearly completed state shortly before release because management up and decided that no one liked adventure games anymore. As they fell into a spiral of bad decisions they never really recovered from.

I think the Lucas brainworms affected the entire estate. A few years later, Lucas himself would attend a planning meeting for The Force Unleashed videogame and suggest the names "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanious"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Solaris 2.0 posted:

There was an effort post in this thread way back when, but TLDR this nearly finished 2003 build is in Gearbox's hands but Randy refuses to release it despite pressure from the original 3D Realms devs to let the community finish it.

Would've been a much better move finishing this one up and releasing it instead of the one we got.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Convex posted:

I think the Lucas brainworms affected the entire estate. A few years later, Lucas himself would attend a planning meeting for The Force Unleashed videogame and suggest the names "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanious"
When they were trying to get a Darth Maul game off the ground they tried to woo George by having a statue of Darth Talon, a Twi’lek Sith character from the far future of the old timeline, on the table. He had a thing for her for some reason, so they put her out with a Darth Mail statue despite them being separated by more than a hundred years in the hope that it would get him to pay attention. So he walks in, pushed the statues together and goes “Look, they’re friends!”

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTa3diypjv4 again a very very slick video on dehacked and states by borogk

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Kinda sucks we never got another singleplayer Star Wars FPS as good as Dark Forces. Jedi Knight feels like an entirely different beast and I must be a heretic because I really don't like Outcast or Academy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Kinda sucks we never got another singleplayer Star Wars FPS as good as Dark Forces. Jedi Knight feels like an entirely different beast and I must be a heretic because I really don't like Outcast or Academy.

I’d be happy if we just got a new port.

I haven’t played it yet but Republic Commando is supposed to be pretty good.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d be happy if we just got a new port.

I haven’t played it yet but Republic Commando is supposed to be pretty good.

I want to like Republic Commando but it's so samey to me. And I can't really stand the aesthetics of the prequel era so :negative:

But yes, a port would be divine. I'd like to see some weird mods for it some day.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I want to like Republic Commando but it's so samey to me. And I can't really stand the aesthetics of the prequel era so :negative:

But yes, a port would be divine. I'd like to see some weird mods for it some day.

I love prequel aesthetics but Republic Commando is just an ugly un-fun mess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of Star Wars, The Force Engine posted a new blog post last Thursday. The long and short of it is that they've been working on the Actual Game Bits, and there should be a test release in the next couple of weeks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What’s wrong with Republic Commando? I was thinking of picking it up.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's like the Halo 1 campaign if the only environments in the game were the ship, the library, and that drat bridge... oh and no coop.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So thanks to Sector Effectors on Steam, I found out there was a community patch for Killing Time. I tried applying it to the GOG installation I have, but it didn't seem to do anything. It could have been that I didn't install it properly, though. It says it adds full mouselook and restores weapon sway while moving, but I didn't see any weapon sway, and moving the mouse only moves the view to the left or right or moves me across the map; no up-or-down movement (not that I think it would matter).

Has anyone played through the PC version of Killing Time, and have any thoughts on it? I know it differs greatly from the 3DO version (which I've not played). I really wanted to play it back when I first learned about it, but I dropped it for a long time after starting (was having computer issues at the time, though). Picked it up a few months back, and I ran around taking out enemies in the start of the mansion, but I've lost track of where I'm supposed to go.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Outcast is pretty good, but does not live up to the originals in focus. Academy is a dumpster fire of fan service trash.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

The shooting doesn't feel very good, the levels are boring, and the squad command mechanic is too shallow to carry it.

It's not bad, just kind of mediocre.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what it is, I'm not sure if there's any way to recapture the way that game felt. Something about the hand-drawn LucasArts aesthetic with the iMUSE MIDI music just worked so well for that game, even though we've reached a point where that objectively would not be the best way to do it. And I totally get why they wanted to add lightsabers to the equation, but truthfully you're talking about two different games at that point. It never really made sense.

The Kins posted:

Speaking of Star Wars, The Force Engine posted a new blog post last Thursday. The long and short of it is that they've been working on the Actual Game Bits, and there should be a test release in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah I saw this, but I'm hoping if I don't post about it, it'll actually come out

Weedle
May 31, 2006

1313 kind of sounded like it was going to be a spiritual successor to dark forces. wish disney hadn’t shitcanned it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

:f5:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Weedle posted:

1313 kind of sounded like it was going to be a spiritual successor to dark forces. wish disney hadn’t shitcanned it

1313 was more like a spiritual successor to Bounty Hunter. 3rd person action/adventure with guns type thing, not an FPS

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It sounds like it would have been Star Wars Uncharted

quote:

The game appeared to emphasize fast paced combat, centered around human skills and physical weapons instead of Force powers. The game was also planned to feature a combination of cover-based combat, platform gameplay, and "playable cinematic gameplay."[2]

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm fine with that. The further from the Jedi and the Skywalker saga the better imo.

Also send help I can't stop playing DN3D. I still haven't played the World Tour episode, I should get around to that.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Would've been a much better move finishing this one up and releasing it instead of the one we got.

I think Duke Nukem Forever looks better on Unreal 1 engine than whatever version of Unreal they ended up using.

The colored lighting looks great, the textures are sharp and clear, I love the aesthetic it is going for. Las Vegas just looks bright, colorful, and full of energy.

The game we got has that awful mid-late 2000s overly bump-mapped look where everything looks like it is covered in plastic wrap, the textures are blurry and muddy, and the color pallet is best described as brown.

*edit*

This youtube video actually shows off all the leaked footage, videos, trailers, etc of DNF's development. It shows off the 1998 build, 2001, 2003, 2006, all the way up to what we got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOpE3MHmQc

Personally I think the 2003 build (before they broke it with the dynamic lighting/shadow change) looks really good and I hope one day the community can get their hands on it.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 20, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
We need operatives to hang around Medieval Times and wait patiently.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Watching Civvie's video about Cruelty Squad and I can't wrap my head about how it looks. Looks like a half baked HL mod from 2001. I'll get it on sale because why not give it a try. I still don't know what is it about.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jedi Outcast and Academy were a blast in multiplayer but yeah, I hated them both for singleplayer aside from spawning enemies and setting up brawls on the wide open levels along with that glorious saber dismemberment cheat.

helpusobi 1
g_saberMoreRealistic
g_dismemberment

Ah, I miss games being able to be cracked open with console commands and what not.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I keep hoping Randy just has an auto-erotic asphyxiation accident. Would be a great endnote to his lovely birthday magician who starts loudly asking your mom about anal existence.

Despite Lucasarts forsaking everything else to pump out SW games it got to the point that they weren’t even good at that. Not being able to put out a competent single player SW game after 2005 is way beyond amateur hour. Fallen Order wasn’t perfect for me because apparently I don’t like the Souls genre that much, but it was well made. 1313 would probably have been fun too. If they really wanted to make a Bounty Hunter successor I’d say give it to Arkane.

Indiana Jones hasn’t had a worthwhile outing since 2003. They were making a game that would have come out during the 360/PS3 era, and then suddenly they quietly pooped out a crappy budget title on the Wii/PS2. Hopefully Machine Games doesn’t get screwed on their attempt.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Fallen Order was a great time, and it leans far heavier towards Metroid and Dark Souls than uncharted. Squadrons, too, is basically a more accessible Tie fighter.

Republic Commando also received a shiny 4K uprezzed port last year. No new textures or anything like that, but it's aged pretty well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guillermus posted:

Watching Civvie's video about Cruelty Squad and I can't wrap my head about how it looks. Looks like a half baked HL mod from 2001. I'll get it on sale because why not give it a try. I still don't know what is it about.

You really have to experience first hand but it's the GOTY.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I seem to recall Republic Commando’s initial digital release not going so well. Lucasarts just casually dumped it out on Steam without any forethought when they entered the market. Pretty sure turning on bump mapping crashed the game for most people, and it looks terrible without it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

fallen order is pretty dope, looks very nice and has some great level design. the combat needs to be a lot tighter for what they’re trying to do with it though, it’s way too floaty to really make lightsaber duels satisfying. the uncharted-style climbing bits felt pretty superfluous too. really i just want sekiro with lightsabers

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Apparently, this was drowned out by Lovecraft racist, Y/N and Cruelty Squad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdGtAaLGkTg

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

yeah i ain't gonna listen to that edgy rear end in a top hat talk about anything

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tippis posted:

A ggggggman video got drowned out? Good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So uh what's going on with that dude's thumbnails?

Like NOLF 2, Timesplitters 2, and FEAR 2 didn't have any horny fanart so he had to draw his own for the thumbnails or something?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"[game title] rule 34"