Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Uukrul has some great puzzles and I have no idea how anyone ever beat it without a walkthrough.

You’re missing dungeon masters 1 and 2, but perhaps you’ve beaten those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Big recommend from me at least on Wizardry 8, it's lightyears beyond the other Wizardry games, even 6 and 7.

Does Legend of Grimrock count? I didn't finish 1, but 2 is absolutely great.

Also the Might and Magic games are technically "blobber" games. :v: And even if they're not mechnically amazing, almost all of them have some great parts that are real cool.

Betrayal at Krondor is also an old favourite of mine, depending on whether you agree that it fits the definition or not. The battles aren't "blobber," but the travel is!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Stonekeep might be the easiest one to get into as the interface is very intuitive compared to most of the list, and it's also shorter than most.
Hammer of Dawn is even simpler.

Both of those and Lands 2 ( I dunno 3) are rpg/adventure hybrids so you may have to look for online hints when you can't figure out the next objective.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Big recommend from me at least on Wizardry 8, it's lightyears beyond the other Wizardry games, even 6 and 7.
And guess whose LP is directly responsible for me putting that series on the list :haw:
And I agree that having actual tooltips and other QoL improvements makes 8 a pretty :aaaaa: experience after playing 6/7. Still wanna beat those too.

I'd appreciate a link, google stubbornly keeps referring me to Gears of War stuff.
And hmm, I forgot about Stonekeep. Maybe because I have the physical CD version and my drive's on the fritz, so I'd have to grab a GOG copy

As for Grimrock1/2, BKrondor, DM1/2, M&M series (except X, and I'm not touching 9): all beaten.

VVV: both beaten.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 18, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

oops i meant Anvil of Dawn.

only 1.5$ at GOG
https://www.gog.com/game/anvil_of_dawn

E: Also worth the money:
Arx Fatalis 2.5$ https://www.gog.com/game/arx_fatalis
Might and Magia 1-6 2.5$ https://www.gog.com/game/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition beaten

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 18, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Also if you're ok with steam (I'm not) they got enhanced editions of planescape torment and icewind dale for 2$ each.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/466300/Planescape_Torment_Enhanced_Edition/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/321800/Icewind_Dale_Enhanced_Edition/

neverwinter nights at 4$
https://store.steampowered.com/app/704450/Neverwinter_Nights_Enhanced_Edition/

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Fine with Steam, not fine with paying Beamdog, especially for stuff I've beaten.

Also, sorry for making GBS threads up your thread Alpha3KV, the idea was that others who caught the crawler bug but have already beaten EotB might find some titles/recommendations useful. If you find it annoying, just tell me and I'll stop.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Stonekeep's great, it's probably the first proper adventure game I managed to complete. And the first I looked up cheats for.

But god drat does the sound need balancing, last time I tried to play it I had to all but mute the whole game because Drake's footsteps were so insanely loud.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Black Robe posted:

Stonekeep's great, it's probably the first proper adventure game I managed to complete. And the first I looked up cheats for.

davidspackage has an excellent Stonekeep LP. The game gets really tiresome towards the end (in the bone zone).

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

without spoilers I'm gonna say that for Strahd, Negative Plane Protection is an absolute must. Going without it is for masochists.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Pierzak posted:

Fine with Steam, not fine with paying Beamdog, especially for stuff I've beaten.

Also, sorry for making GBS threads up your thread Alpha3KV, the idea was that others who caught the crawler bug but have already beaten EotB might find some titles/recommendations useful. If you find it annoying, just tell me and I'll stop.

Nah, it's fine.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

without spoilers I'm gonna say that for Strahd, Negative Plane Protection is an absolute must. Going without it is for masochists.

On a similar note, the fast pace of combat and narrow text log means that you either have to pay very close attention or constantly check character sheets to notice when level changes, good or bad, happen.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Negative Plane Protection is the one that nullifies level drain, right? I already assumed it'd be extremely obvious since the game seems undead-themed.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Negative Plane Protection is the one that nullifies level drain, right? I already assumed it'd be extremely obvious since the game seems undead-themed.

It wards against it, but you need Restoration (Lesser or Greater) to recover from it. Fortunately, I don't think it ages you in the game like it does in the tabletop rules!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Pierzak posted:

So I'm stuck in a bunker (basement in a heatwave when going outside is literally risking my life) with a lovely computer and I blame this thread for reigniting a craving for some dungeon crawlers. Here's what I've got my eye on, come recommend/dissuade me from stuff...

Albion is not worth the effort. It takes a nosedive in quality after the first hour or so of play, and never recovers. PurpleXVI did an LP of the game not too long ago, and even then it's a bit of a chore to stay interested towards the end.

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 19, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

inscrutable horse posted:

Albion is not worth the effort. It takes a nosedive in quality after the first hour or so of play, and never recovers. PurpleXVI did an LP of the game not too long ago, and even then it's a bit of a chore to stay interested towards the end.

Link to that? I'd like to see it regardless.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Uuuh... Link's in the link?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

I'd say the first and second islands are solid, then after that it nosedives a bit, in part because then you start getting into some clearly unfinished parts.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Uuuh... Link's in the link?

Doesn't show up in another colour on my PC. I am glad that you said something.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Pierzak posted:

So I'm stuck in a bunker (basement in a heatwave when going outside is literally risking my life) with a lovely computer and I blame this thread for reigniting a craving for some dungeon crawlers. Here's what I've got my eye on, come recommend/dissuade me from stuff:

Lands of Lore 2, 3
Wizardry 6, 7, 8 in order (probably importing one party through the chain)
Ravenloft (Strahd and Prophet)
Black Crypt
Perihelion
Thunderscape
Gold Box series (Pool of Radiance onwards, I'm aware of engine/mechanics changes so I'm not dragging one party through that without some cheaty changes)
Bard's Tale series
Realms of Arkania series
Albion
Amberseries
Etrian Odyssey 1
Ishar series
Stonekeep
Dark Heart of Uukrul

I also have many other blobbers not mentioned so feel free to add to the list, but be aware that I've probably already beaten the most obvious suspects.

I loved Bard's Tale 1 as a kid and then again as an adult. It's pretty punishing at times, and you get all the fun of teleporters, dark sections, etc. but I never found it so dense I couldn't advance. There's also the satisfaction that by about halfway through the game your party becomes pure killing machines.

Never got too far in BT2&3 but they seem like more of the same but on a larger scale.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Since nobody seemed to mention it, I feel compelled to recommend the remake/remaster of the original BT trilogy. All of the bard-ing and tale-ing with much less bullshit. There is a classic mod for masochists, though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

Since nobody seemed to mention it, I feel compelled to recommend the remake/remaster of the original BT trilogy. All of the bard-ing and tale-ing with much less bullshit. There is a classic mod for masochists, though.

I've yet to pick it up but it sounds real fun since Cary Elwes is the va for the titular bard. Or so I've heard.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

sb hermit posted:

I've yet to pick it up but it sounds real fun since Cary Elwes is the va for the titular bard. Or so I've heard.

That's the 2004 game 'The Bard's Tale', but Elwes does indeed voice the tittle character. I was referring to the remake of the classic, viciously hard party RPG collection. It's just called the 'The Bard's Tale Trilogy' and it came out in 2018.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

That's the 2004 game 'The Bard's Tale', but Elwes does indeed voice the title character. I was referring to the remake of the classic, viciously hard party RPG collection. It's just called the 'The Bard's Tale Trilogy' and it came out in 2018.

Whoops! Sorry if I misled anyone.

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
It's not on the list, but what about Elminage? Wizardry-esque games (same maker as the Wizardry Empires games, apparently), a few of which have been ported to PC on Steam.

I liked Albion, personally. Spiritual successor to the Amber-whatever series, so if you like what it was trying to do but have issues with it feeling rushed later on, checking out Amberstar and Ambermoon might be a good idea.

Given you have Etrian Odyssey on there, I feel like I should also suggest The Dark Spire; like Elminage, basically a Wizardry clone, but more aping the earlier games than later ones.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Did you have patience for Swords of Xeen BTW? I always get tired of the high difficulty of fighting.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Feldherren posted:

Given you have Etrian Odyssey on there, I feel like I should also suggest The Dark Spire;
Oh man, I remember submitting/re-upping The Dark Spire in the LP Request thread for a couple of years straight. I was never much good at Wizardry-clones (J-Crawlers?), but TDS had a pretty bangin' soundtrack!

JustJeff88 posted:

Doesn't show up in another colour on my PC. I am glad that you said something.
Ah, right, sorry about that. I'm so used to embedding links in text, I didn't think that it might stealth its way past others :)

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd say the first and second islands are solid, then after that it nosedives a bit, in part because then you start getting into some clearly unfinished parts.
The first island is great, the second felt like a chore, and the rest was obviously slapped together in a mad panic :( Honestly, if you hadn't inserted your excellent writing wherever possible, that game would almost be un-LP-able.

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 20, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

By popular demand posted:

Did you have patience for Swords of Xeen BTW? I always get tired of the high difficulty of fighting.

I've played the professionally-made games in the engine but never Swords. Is it supposed to be a hardmode type of thing for people who played World way too much?

Ah, right, sorry about that. I'm so used to embedding links in text, I didn't think that it might stealth its way past others :)

No need to apologise; it probably does kick out to most people. However, I use an extension called Night Eye on my browser that makes the motif grey text on a nearly black background as white backgrounds on TVs and monitors is just agony on my eyes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

JustJeff88 posted:

I've played the professionally-made games in the engine but never Swords. Is it supposed to be a hardmode type of thing for people who played World way too much?

Kinda, some unrelated people got permission from NWC to make it and NWC gave them tools and handled distribution so it's not truly a fangame but it's as buggy and hastily designed as one.
They did set out to make it extremely difficult and I think they overshot the mark.
Every attempt I ever gave it ended with me getting real tired of minmaxing and grinding.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Feldherren posted:

It's not on the list, but what about Elminage?
You underestimate what a "lovely computer" means. It's an office laptop old enough to drive.

quote:

I liked Albion, personally. Spiritual successor to the Amber-whatever series, so if you like what it was trying to do but have issues with it feeling rushed later on, checking out Amberstar and Ambermoon might be a good idea.
I loved the proto-Avatar feel of Albion, not so much the engine/mechanics. Still, I'll remember that if I crave more of the same.

quote:

Given you have Etrian Odyssey on there, I feel like I should also suggest The Dark Spire; like Elminage, basically a Wizardry clone, but more aping the earlier games than later ones.
I don't have it. And after beating Wiz 1-3 I was pretty :geno: about them, like OK, it's good to learn where so many RPGs came from, but they aren't anything I'd particularly want to play again. Looking forward to the newer ones though and already regretting that Japan didn't appreciate them enough.

VVV: Seen it, loved it. I'm pretty sure Wiz4 qualifies as a masochism/humiliation fetish. And w/r/t anything on LParchive, you can safely assume I've either read it or didn't want to.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 20, 2021

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Pierzak posted:

You underestimate what a "lovely computer" means. It's an office laptop old enough to drive.

I loved the proto-Avatar feel of Albion, not so much the engine/mechanics. Still, I'll remember that if I crave more of the same.

I don't have it. And after beating Wiz 1-3 I was pretty :geno: about them, like OK, it's good to learn where so many RPGs came from, but they aren't anything I'd particularly want to play again. Looking forward to the newer ones though and already regretting that Japan didn't appreciate them enough.

There’s a good LP of Wiz IV in the archive if you want to see the termination of bullshit puzzle design

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The WizIV LP is amazing to me because I don't know how anyone had the patience to play it and the cleverness to figure out everything in that stupid game, even just once, in order to write the guides that everyone else uses. It makes Wiz1-3 look positively user friendly.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

The WizIV LP is amazing to me because I don't know how anyone had the patience to play it and the cleverness to figure out everything in that stupid game, even just once, in order to write the guides that everyone else uses. It makes Wiz1-3 look positively user friendly.
Wiz 1-3 are "we didn't know better at the time".
Wiz 4 is "so you say that all our efforts to make the games challenging are not enough? You fuckers have the gall to talk poo poo about the pinnacle of computer fantasy? That's it. It's now personal :getin:"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Pierzak posted:

Wiz 1-3 are "we didn't know better at the time".
Wiz 4 is "so you say that all our efforts to make the games challenging are not enough? You fuckers have the gall to talk poo poo about the pinnacle of computer fantasy? That's it. It's now personal :getin:"

Wizardry 4 was the first recorded example of developers hatefucking their fans.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Wizardry 4 was the first recorded example of developers hatefucking their fans.

Takeshi's Castle beat it by about a year, but it's pretty drat close.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
EOTB 3: Curated Fishman rear end

The first thing you hear when entering this level (if you have sound activated of course) is a very loud *blop* sound. All monsters have distinct walking sounds that change volume based on proximity. This does not account for any walls between your party and the monsters. I start with the east fork from here.

In the hallway is another instance of that beloved mechanic, rotating tiles. I was facing south before this. After this is a room with a key followed by another hallway that does this.

The first monster we encounter in this level is a flind. They're quick to attack when they get in melee range and sometimes drop their maces upon death.

Soon after we meet the other monster of this level, a kuo-toa. This was the source of the noise at the beginning. As seen here, they can also throw a lightning bolt. This makes them the first enemy with a ranged attack, which fortunately doesn't penetrate like the spell.

In the northern hallway there is a hidden teleporter that moves you to the east end the first time you walk into it. The "T" on this map marks a non-hidden sparkly teleporter like the one in the previous level. Like that one, this is also a shortcut to the exit. You can skip pretty much this entire level, but not before another hallway that does this.

After getting past there, a small button opens up a wall. This leads to a cleric scroll of Cause Light Wounds, a spell that can only be used from the front row.

The key we found earlier can open up these panels, which reveal buttons.

The two on the sides spawn kuo-toa that drop keys.

The middle one removes the wall behind it.

Later on is a pit that opens up in the tile directly in front of you, so don't rush too much. This will drop you to level 4, right into a giant spider lair. We're not well equipped to deal with poison yet, so let's avoid it. Behind it are a red gem and a +3 dagger called Backstabber.

This door has two different locks that can open it. Using this one will spawn kuo-toa at your flank and back. There is another one around a corner to the south that won't do that. Either way, that room has another kuo-toa and a couple of healing potions.

Another pit that opens up right in front of you and drops you into a spider lair.

There are two doors with these sockets next to them. Putting the red gem found earlier into one will open that door.

One of them leads to this room, with a floor plate and pit puzzle. At the end of it, you get four arrows, a potion of speed, and another red gem. Falling into one of these pits won't take you to level 4, but a small room of level 3.

It actually might be worth doing since aside from 3 kuo-toa, it has the game's first wand. Unidentified wands can be annoying to keep track of since they all look exactly the same. This one casts Magic Missile. Speaking of which, Dave has his spellbook open even though it shouldn't be usable right now. If you use a spellcasting item then move it, the spell menu will stay open and allow casting.

On the way into the southwest portion of this level, I find a mage scroll of Fireball. This causes damage to everything in a single tile. It's not quite the weapon of mass destruction it is in other games, but still useful against groups and less likely to burn your own characters. I go ahead and teach Dave this spell since there's another scroll for it later, but he's almost certainly not going to reach a high enough level to cast it.

Another grated door. The kuo-toa can't shoot their lightning bolts through it, so you can kill them with impunity.

In the southwest corner are the remains and possessions of Anya, a human fighter. Alongside the bones are leather armor, a long sword, and a spear, a weapon that can only be thrown.

I backtrack to get to this room.

:yosbutt:

It has 3 flinds and 4 kuo-toa that stand perfectly still and won't attack unless you do first. If a monster becomes hostile, all other monsters of the same type will activate. Taking this potion of healing is another way to activate the kuo-toa, and the most advantageous position to do that.

The exit is accessed from a square hallway, with hidden teleporters of course. Can't get enough of those. It has outlets on each side containing shelves with blue gems.

Insert them into eye sockets in nooks on each side.

Once all four are in, they change color and walls are opened on the north and south sides.

After that, you can take them all back out for this level's special quest.

The last room has two exits to level 4, on the north and south sides. Near each exit is a shelf containing iron rations, which restore more of the food meter than regular ones. Near the north one we find some chainmail, the first improvement over leather armor. The north exit leads to a safer part of level 4, so we'll be taking that one.

Alpha3KV fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 13, 2021

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Alpha3KV posted:

In the hallway is another instance of that beloved mechanic, rotating tiles. I was facing south before this. After this is a room with a key followed by another hallway that does this.

IIRC if you just walk normally here, you actually get spun around in time to see the door close behind you. This is why i remember spinny tiles being a non-issue in these games. It is so blatantly obvious what's happening, even without the "dizzy" note.

Game really likes its enchanted daggers! I don't think i ever used them much out of fear of yeeting them into a pit or something where i couldn't get them back though so i guess that balanced out nicely in the end. :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Difficulty spikes again! This level has higher level monsters than the previous two combined, and the next has poison critters. I have been trying to remember if these sewers had giant rats or alligators- since we’ve passed the point where those would be a challenge I’m guessing no.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm a bit baffled why they decided Kuo-Toa should shoot lightning bolts.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

JustJeff88 posted:

That's the 2004 game 'The Bard's Tale', but Elwes does indeed voice the tittle character. I was referring to the remake of the classic, viciously hard party RPG collection. It's just called the 'The Bard's Tale Trilogy' and it came out in 2018.

I would also suggest The Bard's Tale 4. It's more recent (think Grimrock 2) and it has one of the best soundtracks ever (they got Irish and Scottish traditional folk singer/songwriters to compose, execute and sing most of it) and it has a very old school feel while having more modern qol things. You can even enable a "freeform" moving mode to move around the world (the combat is still turn/grid based).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Missile weapons work well in this game as actual weapons, but they are annoying to use because they have to be reset after every use. This means putting arrows in quivers, daggers and stones in pouches etc. This game also does not allow long weapons (spears, halberds, staves) to be used from the second row as in the Ravenloft games and Menzo. I forget which game I played where I used an arrow or throwing weapon, picked it up, and the game filed it back where it was before I used it. I recall being absolutely gobsmacked by that brilliant QoL feature, but now I can't remember the game.